• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

StoneFox

I dunno, growing up in America it was okay to be naked as a toddler in front of other kids (like taking a bath with siblings) but my parents were never naked and bathed at the same time. They just washed us over the side of the tub and then took a shower on their own.

Though I am not against having a bath together with strangers or people of a different age group. I visited a traditional hot spring in Japan years ago, and besides being the only white person in the bath it was not that weird with everyone doing it.

NEO0MJ

ITT: people from cultures where you don't bathe with your family.

Also I just only noticed that Kira wears a skull in his tie lol.

The problem isn't that he bathed with him, the problem is that he was a stranger and they both knew it. I guess the scene emphasized vulnerability and surrendering control, only to reclaim it.

silva1991

Wow what an episode. When Kira showed up at the bathroom's door I freaked out lol.

Is it just me or does both the boy's face and body look strange? like they belong to a an adult. Is that how he looks in the manga?

and that cheap trick is so annoying everytime he says "ne/neh"

Only 5 episodes left T_T

Why can't DiU be eternal.

Really? that's it for DiU? this isn't the end for Jojo's series right? (I don't read the manga)

Ascheroth

Wow what an episode. When Kira showed up at the bathroom's door I freaked out lol.

Is it just me or does both the boy's face and body look strange? like they belong to a an adult. Is that how he looks in the manga?

Really? that's it for DiU? this isn't the end for Jojo's series right? (I don't read the manga)

Yeah, DiU ends with 39 episodes.
The manga is currently at part 8, so there's enough material for a few more years of JoJo anime.

Breads

Banned

There is like 22 actual years worth of jojo left after this. Each part gets longer and longer. Phantom Blood to the end of Diamond is Unbreakable is 87-95. We 1/3 into jojo by the time it's over.

The problem isn't that he bathed with him, the problem is that he was a stranger and they both knew it. I guess the scene emphasized vulnerability and surrendering control, only to reclaim it.

Remember that they both are (or were) pretending that everything was normal. Hayato even avoided having the tape found by taking advantage of the fact that his father would "know" that he was ticklish.

Zolo

His desires are fucked up but the way he rationalizes and approaches them is so normal

Part of the reason why Kira is so great, lol

Well, unlike Dio and Kars who pretty much seem inspired by your standard sadistic take-over-the-world villains, Kira seems inspired by actual serial killers or at least movies that took inspiration from actual serial killers.

Breads

Banned
To the bold, Part 4 is second only to 7 in length, crazy right?

This does not help my narrative that there is plenty of Jojo left!

Gotta look that up though. Doesn't feel right.

DIU is 18 tankobon volumes of weekly chapters.

VA is 16 vol/ weekly chapters.

SO is 16 vol/ weekly chapters

SBR is 24 tankobon volumes of monthly chapters.

Jojolion is currently at vol 13/ monthly chapters.

Well shit that checks out.

It's the only time he gets to take off his social mask and be his real self.
Oddly Kira is rather well spoken during his tirades. He actually reminded me of Dexter Morgan yesterday when he had his finger to Minako's forehead. I like seeing the snippets behind Kira's mask, he's frightening and oddly quirky during those moments. You know...I'd love to see what Rohan would be able to read from an animal that he used his stand on.

Squishy3

Oddly Kira is rather well spoken during his tirades. He actually reminded me of Dexter Morgan yesterday when he had his finger to Minako's forehead. I like seeing the snippets behind Kira's mask, he's frightening and oddly quirky during those moments.
My initial thought was Araki based Kira loosely on Patrick Bateman but from what I can find the book didn't come out in Japan until 1995, which was the same year Part 4 finished. I don't know if there's any other prolific media about fictional serial killers taken to extremes ala Bateman or Dexter that came out before then, but it wouldn't surprise me if Araki lifted some of his ideas from there if they did exist.

Plus things like him loving horror tropes and that being the basis for Phantom Blood and some of the Stands in Part 3, not to mention just having Jonathan dress like Sherlock Holmes for his "detective" episode. There's a lot of precedence for Araki lifting storytelling ideas from other works.

My initial thought was Araki based Kira loosely on Patrick Bateman but from what I can find the book didn't come out in Japan until 1995, which was the same year Part 4 finished. I don't know if there's any other prolific media about fictional serial killers taken to extremes ala Bateman or Dexter that came out before then, but it wouldn't surprise me if Araki lifted some of his ideas from there if they did exist.

Plus things like him loving horror tropes and that being the basis for Phantom Blood and some of the Stands in Part 3, not to mention just having Jonathan dress like Sherlock Holmes for his "detective" episode. There's a lot of precedence for Araki lifting storytelling ideas from other works.
I would imagine it's not too hard to find the psychological breakdowns of numerous serial killers. Profiling is a thing for a reason, unless Japan has that type of stuff censored.
Edit:
Am I the only one not giving a shit about off model animation? I know it's there but it really hasn't been detracting from DiU as a whole. Kira's segment is still excellent in this episode because the performances were spot on in my opinion. And by Kira's segment I mean when he killed that couple, not his...um...bath time with Hayato.

turmoil

Banned
I would imagine it's not too hard to find the psychological breakdowns of numerous serial killers. Profiling is a thing for a reason, unless Japan has that type of stuff censored.
Edit:
Am I the only one not giving a shit about off model animation? I know it's there but it really hasn't been detracting from DiU as a whole. Kira's segment is still excellent in this episode because the performances were spot on in my opinion. And by Kira's segment I mean when he killed that couple, not his...um...bath time with Hayato.

Luckily most of the time I am unable to see the drops of quality in animated mediums. I think the only episode that looked sketchy to me was the RPS boy's one. And the KQ introduction. I've enjoyed the rest bigly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Part 7 was a part of WSJ for half a year, than moved to Ultra Jump. Also Akari tried to sell Steel Ball run as not Jojo part 7 for a while. Anyone know if it was always intended to be part 7, or if he decided to make it so partway through?

Krammy

Part 7 was a part of WSJ for half a year, than moved to Ultra Jump. Also Akari tried to sell Steel Ball run as not Jojo part 7 for a while. Anyone know if it was always intended to be part 7, or if he decided to make it so partway through?

Why not ask in the manga thread instead of the anime thread?

Although it sounds like you're clearly baiting for spoilers.

Breads

Banned
Edit:

I do well with off model animation to a point. Killer Queen's initial showings where both off model and ghastly on top of having a shit base design for the eyes and forehead ridge that they thankfully corrected later on. Not sure why they went with that initial design/ key art. It was ugly as shit.

I do well with off model animation to a point. Killer Queen's initial showings where both off model and ghastly on top of having a shit base design for the eyes and forehead ridge that they thankfully corrected later on. Not sure why they went with that initial design/ key art. It was ugly as shit.
I think with that I was partly saved by not really knowing what the heck Killer Queen is mostly supposed to look like. It did look a bit weird in that episode climax though. Granted I've seen him beforehand, but I really don't know every inch of a stand the way you guys do.
Like Kira would stoop low enough to try to steal Naruto merchandise. Them and their shit taste in anime deserved to die.

Edit:

Pretty sure that in real life psychological profiling has been found to be woefully inadequate and fairly useless.

Neoxon

That moment when you have to wait until December 21st for the next volume of the DiU soundtrack to drop.

Still, the Mr. Steal Yo Girl panel for Kira was adapted pretty damn well.

Damn, I can't believe we're at the end already. I'm glad they're giving enough episodes for the final arcs. 5 should be plenty to cover everything and then add some, whatever that may be.

Tizoc

Em3dNpp.png

Viridian6

It's awfully convenient for the good guys that ultimately Kira was unable to resist returning to his killing ways... Would have been more interesting/bittersweet if there was always the possibility that, left alone with Shinobu, he might have become a better (well, not-crazy) person, but the heroes had to bring him to justice anyway.

Top Bottom