• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

I've figured his opinions haven't changed all that much since he hasn't updated his favorites in like 20 years.
But that's because Kira is a great character. Watching him be a fucking oddball is quite fun, even when it's tied to a little bit of egocentric sadism Araki still finds a way to have fun with it. Kira and Dio are fun, way better than the Pillar Men for example.

StoneFox

I work in a retail and they are playing a radio station that I swear played I Want You, Killer Queen, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond in a row.

C'mon guys, it's not even Friday. :p I want to call in and ask for Roundabout now heh

I work in a retail and they are playing a radio station that I swear played I Want You, Killer Queen, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond in a row.

C'mon guys, it's not even Friday. :p I want to call in and ask for Roundabout now heh
Don't forget to request Elephant Talk by King Crimson.

a retail store that played ALL of Shine On You Crazy Diamond? holy shit

lmao you don't need to tell me twice

Josuke is fucking godlike

It's just weird that an oddball like Araki would like such a straightforward and upright character. My best guess is that unlike Jotaro he's a lot more "fun" and has no shortage of amazing moments
because Josuke is alot more flexible to write. You can make him cocky, friendly, heroic, etc. Jotaro is just 'cool' and 'hard'.

Neoxon

Those 3 songs in a row, it can't be a coincidence.

Ask them.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
For some reason, I feel like I barely know the characters from Part 4. Compared to 3, which was my least favorite part, I feel like I understood and empathized with Polnareff and mourned Kayouin whereas I can't say the same for Koichi and Okuyasu. Maybe because Part 4 doesn't feel as EXTREME as the parts before it (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing). Or maybe it's because this is the first part where I'm watching the episodes week by week instead of binging. It feels like I've watched A LOT, but the inter-character teambuilding was de-emphasized. Is this indeed the case or am I just crazy?

PS Why haven't I seen Okuyasu in a real fight yet?

NeonZ

I think the main issue with Part 4 is that a lot of character building seems to become irrelevant after it's done - like the situation with Okuyasu's father or the show just forgetting the reason Joseph went to that city in the first place. The cast then is left in a mostly "neutral" position for the next Stand encounter. The previous parts seemed to reference established character motivation and backstory much more even if just to heighten the drama.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think the main issue with Part 4 is that a lot of character building seems to become irrelevant after it's done - like the situation with Okuyasu's father or the show just forgetting the reason Joseph went to that city in the first place. The cast then is left in a mostly "neutral" position for the next Stand encounter. The previous parts seemed to reference established character motivation and backstory much more even if just to heighten the drama.
Yeah! That might be it. There did seem to be a lot of plot points that just went nowhere re: Okuyasu's family, Koichi's new hairstyle, etc.

For some reason, I feel like I barely know the characters from Part 4. Compared to 3, which was my least favorite part, I feel like I understood and empathized with Polnareff and mourned Kayouin whereas I can't say the same for Koichi and Okuyasu. Maybe because Part 4 doesn't feel as EXTREME as the parts before it (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing). Or maybe it's because this is the first part where I'm watching the episodes week by week instead of binging. It feels like I've watched A LOT, but the inter-character teambuilding was de-emphasized. Is this indeed the case or am I just crazy?

It's probably because every character in SC had reaaally simple motivations that were ALL relevant and resolved in the final fight. Every Crusader, with the exception of Iggy, just wanted to get rid of Dio, and hence the linear build up to the final fight resonated with each character;s emotional background. DiU is a slice of life anime with every character having very different motivations and development that are only relevant for their respective arcs. The setting doesn't necessitate team coordination, and the open ended "dropped plot" aspects only serve to build Morioh's character as a town. Even regarding the presence of Kira, we still see our main cast living their daily lives and even dicking around with one another (ahem Rohan's house burning). It's not for everyone, but what you feel is lacking in DiU is what I feel is extremely unique to this part.

Part 4 is mostly a slice of life anime with varying degrees of weird stando bullshito thrown in. I actually prefer this more than SDC because it just seems more fun. Not every encounter is some life or death struggle where you have to decimate your foe. I'd be pissed if Yukako ended up getting Ora'd to fucking death after one episode. You see how she's actually quite nice, though her temper is a bit explosive. People like Kira are fleshed out and you even see him start to care about Shinobu, he's still a smug fuckwad, but he's a pleasure to see on screen. I personally feel the character beats and moments are way more fleshed out in DiU than they are in SDC, but it seems like DiU isn't for everybody. Shit's right up my damn alley though. I honestly don't want it to end. Morioh is a character in and of itself. It seems like an ordinary town till you start peeling back the layers and discover all the fucking Stepford Wives weirdness hiding in the underbelly.

zoukka

Yeah the characters in part 3 were super simple and effective. Part 4 has been much more varied and interesting. We all would love to see every sub-plot resolved but that would require double the episodes.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It's probably because every character in SC had reaaally simple motivations that were ALL relevant and resolved in the final fight. Every Crusader, with the exception of Iggy, just wanted to get rid of Dio, and hence the linear build up to the final fight resonated with each character;s emotional background. DiU is a slice of life anime with every character having very different motivations and development that are only relevant for their respective arcs. The setting doesn't necessitate team coordination, and the open ended "dropped plot" aspects only serve to build Morioh's character as a town. Even regarding the presence of Kira, we still see our main cast living their daily lives and even dicking around with one another (ahem Rohan's house burning). It's not for everyone, but what you feel is lacking in DiU is what I feel is extremely unique to this part.
SDC is definitely standard shounen fare, but hey these things are standard for a reason I suppose. I don't necessarily find it bad, just a little jarring because it's so different. But different is good, and it's one of the major selling points of Jojo. Chalk it up to me not being a fan of the slice of life genre at all.

Part 4 is mostly a slice of life anime with varying degrees of weird stando bullshito thrown in. I actually prefer this more than SDC because it just seems more fun. Not every encounter is some life or death struggle where you have to decimate your foe. I'd be pissed if Yukako ended up getting Ora'd to fucking death after one episode. You see how she's actually quite nice, though her temper is a bit explosive. People like Kira are fleshed out and you even see him start to care about Shinobu, he's still a smug fuckwad, but he's a pleasure to see on screen. I personally feel the character beats and moments are way more fleshed out in DiU than they are in SDC, but it seems like DiU isn't for everybody. Shit's right up my damn alley though. I honestly don't want it to end. Morioh is a character in and of itself. It seems like an ordinary town till you start peeling back the layers and discover all the fucking Stepford Wives weirdness hiding in the underbelly.
I see a lot of people claim that Morioh is a character on its own. Can you explain what you mean? I mean, I understand the claim, but I just don't see it. I don't feel like the town has an atmosphere, culture, or personality. The show's been mostly about a handful of wacky people situated in a location that couldn't be more generic if it tried.

Yeah the characters in part 3 were super simple and effective. Part 4 has been much more varied and interesting. We all would love to see every sub-plot resolved but that would require double the episodes.
I honestly would love to have double the episodes to watch.

I feel like the odd one because I don't like Joseph as much as everyone else seems to, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy him.

Why wouldn't you request Frame by Frame?
Both are badass, I just love the quirky intro and guitar riff on Elephant Talk and I think it's Fripp just taking the piss when it comes to song writing. One could also request Neurotica.
I see a lot of people claim that Morioh is a character on its own. Can you explain what you mean? I mean, I understand the claim, but I just don't see it. I don't feel like the town has an atmosphere, culture, or personality. The show's been mostly about a handful of wacky people situated in a location that couldn't be more generic if it tried.
You know that filler people like to bitch about? That's the show displaying the quirky characters of Morioh. That's the stuff most shows would keep hidden. You had a hair salon that that altered the looks of people on a whim to make them better looking, a restaurant that healed people through stand enhanced food, some dude that gets turned into a book and donated to a library. Whenever they get a new landmark through a stand battle is Morioh as a town growing and evolving, the place changes throughout DiU and it must be getting done in such an understated way that a lot of people can't notice it. And that's just what they've shown you, imagine what other weird bullshit is in Morioh.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You know that filler people like to bitch about? That's the show displaying the quirky characters of Morioh. That's the stuff most shows would keep hidden. You had a hair salon that that altered the looks of people on a whim to make them better looking, a restaurant that healed people through stand enhanced food, some dude that gets turned into a book and donated to a library. Whenever they get a new landmark through a stand battle is Morioh as a town growing and evolving, the place changes throughout DiU and it must be getting done in such an understated way that a lot of people can't notice it. And that's just what they've shown you, imagine what other weird bullshit is in Morioh.
Except the town is not changing because nothing seems to have any lasting consequence. Take the restaurant (one of my favorite eps). You never hear about it again. Morioh would have character if you could see that the restaurant permanently affected people's daily lives. You never get to see this. The same applies to the salon except it was briefly revisited for a plot point. By virtue of dropping every plot thread, the town is absolutely NOT evolving. The town is static, but filled with people with crazy powers, 90% of which are caused by the antagonists and are considered named characters anyway.

I get what you're trying to say. Episodes like Janken Boy wouldn't have existed in a more standard shounen. But that's not the town getting its own development. That's just that the next villain of the week is not really a villain threatening the world, but just some random brat (which is fine).

I think I can agree with some of this. I definitely loved the small-town horror vibe from the earliest episodes. That's the main reason why I felt that DIU had the strongest opening to date. But it does feel like that potential was never fully realized and the town never really develops further.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that's what JadedWriter means. The daily lives of people in Morioh doesn't change, because it's not supposed to change. People with crazy powers are part of Morioh, they're not people who will change Morioh, they're just part of Morioh.

There's only one character that has actually changed the town as a whole, and that's Kira. DiU is the battle to decide whether Morioh's daily life, its "soul", will be destroyed by Kira, or whether Josuke and the gang can repair the damage he's done.

Now yeah I get if you don't like that, but it's what makes DiU great for me

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yeah, that's what JadedWriter means. The daily lives of people in Morioh doesn't change, because it's not supposed to change. People with crazy powers are part of Morioh, they're not people who will change Morioh, they're just part of Morioh.
But they're not really. Isn't it only a very recent phenomenon caused by the arrow?

There's only one character that has actually changed the town as a whole, and that's Kira. DiU is the battle to decide whether Morioh's daily life, its "soul", will be destroyed by Kira, or whether Josuke and the gang can repair the damage he's done.

Now yeah I get if you don't like that, but it's what makes DiU great for me
This I get. If you were to tell me that Morioh's character is being a dreary, generic town and Kira threatens to uproot everything, that's something I can get on board with.

And I hope I'm not giving the impression that I dislike DIU. I love it. I just like being critical about it as well :).

cntr

Banned
Reimi mentions way back that Morioh is a supernaturally active area, yeah? That's where things like the Ghost Alley comes from and why so many Stand users happen to reside in it. So the stands might be new, but the supernatural things in general aren't.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Reimi mentions way back that Morioh is a supernaturally active area, yeah? That's where things like the Ghost Alley comes from and why so many Stand users happen to reside in it. So the stands might be new, but the supernatural things in general aren't.
I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it! So then the town resolving Cheap Trick deserves some credit. In that case, I wish there was more of that!

Morioh strikes me as a town that's been weird as fuck since the word go. Stands or no stands. Yuya for example would still be the same exact person with or without stand powers and the same can be said about Yukako and Koichi. Yukako isn't some crazy ass stand user, she's a high school girl with body image issues that just so happens to have stand powers. DiU is about the character subtlety.

But this describes most high schoolers.
But most of the cast in DiU really doesn't seem to have massive body image problems though, it's really just Yukako and Yukako is legit attractive as well, she's just got too much of a personality disorder, but she seems pretty cool when she's not going off the handle. Yeah she's a high school cliche a bit, but she's still got enough of a personality to make her a character I actually like.

Zolo

But most of the cast in DiU really doesn't seem to have massive body image problems though, it's really just Yukako and Yukako is legit attractive as well, she's just got too much of a personality disorder, but she seems pretty cool when she's not going off the handle. Yeah she's a high school cliche a bit, but she's still got enough of a personality to make her a character I actually like.

Yukako was partly written in contrast to female characters at the time as well. The Cinderella episode, in particular, I think was partly inspired by the need to draw female characters in specific and perfect ways.

Yukako was partly written in contrast to female characters at the time as well. The Cinderella episode, in particular, I think was partly inspired by the need to draw female characters in specific and perfect ways.
But Yukako is fine just the way she is. She really didn't need to go to the Cinderella parlor to get attractive. Then again that's probably the point you're making. I actually felt quite bad for her especially when her face was disappearing. Too bad she's just never in the damn show anymore.
Well ya know, there is this stand in part X....
Surely this is a joke.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I like Yukako. But to say that's she's some incredibly deep character with tons of subtle layers is hyperbolic imo. I feel the same way when people gush over the town's character. But less so after this conversation. :)

I like Yukako. But to say that's she's some incredibly deep character with tons of subtle layers is hyperbolic imo. I feel the same way when people gush over the town's character. But less so after this conversation. :)
I'm not saying she's deep, I just like her. Yukako doesn't get enough time to get deep, but I like her character enough to want to see her some more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jojo is hard to spoil because you can never tell if something is a joke or real.

Like if I told you there is a stand that can make the user a magical girl, or a stand that does nothing but tells bad jokes, am I spoiling a future plot points, or talking random bullshit?

Jojo is hard to spoil because you can never tell if something is a joke or real.

Like if I told you there is a stand that can make the user a magical girl, or a stand that does nothing but tells bad jokes, am I spoiling a future plot points, or talking random bullshit?

You tell me:

jojos-bizarre-adventure-joseph-joestar.jpg

Top Bottom