• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Tizoc

Hey kids, remember this guy?
Scj2YVy.png

PK Gaming

I don't know that that's bad direction as much as a possible misinterpretation of the manga material. Despite your analysis of the manga designed to show that Jotaro heard nothing, just the fact that Jotaro turned towards the direction of Josuke's scream makes it logical for a reader to assume that Jotaro did in fact hear Josuke.

Edit: Honestly, I feel like the anime accurately reproduces what my interpretation of that scene in the manga is: Josuke screams, Jotaro hears it briefly and reacts, the sound of the scream fades to be replaced by the rain, Jotaro concludes he was mistaken and decides to ignore the sound he heard. I can see the argument that the anime should have portrayed that moment differently to avoid the questions that people here have had about it, but I don't think the manga is immune from the same questions here.

Speaking anecdotally, my friends and I weren't thrown by that scene when we all read manga a couple of years back. On the other hand, literally all of us felt that the anime adaptation was off. It all comes down to the presentation, as Jexhius mentioned a couple of pages back.

The audio of Josuke screaming continues, and the camera travels towards Jotaro, demonstrating that the sound is travelling towards him:

In addition to this, the anime does not show Jotaro's perspective after he turns around.

jIMUGdI.png

It's this shot that really sells it for me. We get to see Jotaro's perspective for one (everyone can relate to thinking the hear a sound that isn't there) and it's a really dark, oppressive shot with no person in sight.

So in short, the manga version really drives this hopelessness atmosphere (feeding back into fate seemingly being on Kira's side) whereas the anime adaption comes across as a bit more comical due to the direction. They really should have muted Josuke's scream after cutting to Jotaro.

Speaking anecdotally, my friends and I weren't thrown by that scene when we all read manga a couple of years back. On the other hand, literally all of us felt that the anime adaptation was off. It all comes down to the presentation, as Jexhius mentioned a couple of pages back.

In addition to this, the anime does not show Jotaro's perspective after he turns around.

It's this shot that really sells it for me. We get to see Jotaro's perspective for one (everyone can relate to thinking the hear a sound that isn't there) and it's a really dark, oppressive shot with no person in sight.

So in short, the manga version really drives this hopelessness atmosphere (feeding back into fate seemingly being on Kira's side) whereas the anime adaption comes across as a bit more comical due to the direction. They really should have muted Josuke's scream after cutting to Jotaro.

Muting the scream when cutting to Jotaro, and maybe raising the volume of the rain as well, would have been a good decision. A more fastidious, detail-oriented director who pays really close attention to sound design, such as Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi), would have probably done something like that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey. How come Shinobu doesn't realize her husband has a completely different voice?
Her husband just happened to have the same voice, and Kira's favorite Killer Queen themed ties.

When I read the manga, I sort of assumed his voice changed with his new identity tbh.

Andrew J.

They probably haven't talked and only communicated in grunts for the last year or so going by how their relationship was going.

For all that the anime industry is partially built upon celebrity voice actor culture, it's relatively rare for manga and anime characters to be able to distinguish people by voice.

The conclusion I came to is that we've become complacent that it even got adapted at all. Remember it took more than two decades to get here :X

I wouldn't say that. As someone who didn't care about Jojo until the anime adaption, I've never had an issue with it as a standalone piece of media. It has imperfections but so does most anime.

StoneFox

I think Kira was meant to have a generic, "everyman" voice so she probably legit didn't notice a voice change. Kira is all about blending in, after all.

Hey kids, remember this guy?
Scj2YVy.png
I can at least remember Kira's name and Kira's got fucking swagger. Genthru? Fuck that vanilla motherfucker.
Oh my God who drew this? I need to know. Why does Illumi look like a woman in Jojo style? Knuckle looks like a buff alternate universe Josuke, Chrollo really does straight up look like a fucking Jojo character. They could make HxH Part 9 and nobody would ever even know the difference.

Ezalc

I can at least remember Kira's name and Kira's got fucking swagger. Genthru? Fuck that vanilla motherfucker.

Oh my God who drew this? I need to know. Why does Illumi look like a woman in Jojo style? Knuckle looks like a buff alternate universe Josuke, Chrollo really does straight up look like a fucking Jojo character. They could make HxH Part 9 and nobody would ever even know the difference.

Straight up, I kept laughing at the thought of Genthru being the big bad of that arc because he looks like such a fucking scrawny nerd with zero presence.

It took me a while to remember who the cow guy was in this picture. Sure but in HxH pulling shit out of your ass to save your protag isn't as fun as it is in Jojo.

Straight up, I kept laughing at the thought of Genthru being the big bad of that arc because he looks like such a fucking scrawny nerd with zero presence.

It took me a while to remember who the cow guy was in this picture. Sure but in HxH pulling shit out of your ass to save your protag isn't as fun as it is in Jojo.
I think cow dude is Mizaistom or however the fuck you pronounce his name. I'm annoyed by lack of Jojo drawn Cheadle. Greed Island arc peaked at the dodgeball game, Genthru fight just cemented Gon as a fucking nut job. I'll admit Jojo is king of asspulls, but HxH has some fun ones as well. Killua mastering darts at the age of 6 to allow him to win was hilarious.

Ezalc

The dodgeball game was so good. Seeing Hisoka using his power to fuck around was GUREITO.

Yeah HxH does have some good asspulls, the ones that annoy me are Gon always being magically healed through deus ex machinas.

The dodgeball game was so good. Seeing Hisoka using his power to fuck around was GUREITO.

Yeah HxH does have some good asspulls, the ones that annoy me are Gon always being magically healed through deus ex machinas.
"Lose your hand fighting nerdy Genthru, Gon have this magic card and wish for your hand back." "Get yer shit fucked up cause you have to race through puberty to fuck up this cat man lady thing Imma just have Killua use his Simpson's monkey paw sister to wish you back to health." I'm not sure which asspulls make less sense between the two mangas.

Madao

Her husband just happened to have the same voice, and Kira's favorite Killer Queen themed ties.

When I read the manga, I sort of assumed his voice changed with his new identity tbh.

some of us actually expected a different voice actor when Kira stole Kosaku's identity (i was waiting for them to use the game's VA for that)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
guys I just started the Greed Island arc in HxH don't spoil me.

he said in a Jojo thread

I'm actually being serious, so don't spoil me pls

Kyuur

I gotta say this ending arc has been kind of.. not great. For a part that started so strongly it really has petered out. If it was separated like Part 3 I'd probably put this second half at the bottom in terms of everything, maybe on par with Part 1. The only episodes I can really say I enjoyed a ton were "I'm an Alien" and "Cats Love Yoshikage Kira" -- all the rest were in first 17.

So, my favorite Anime Reviewer "Glass Reflection" reviewed Part 1+2

He likes it a lot, although he thinks that Part 1 didn't aged well, but also understands that it's due to the source material being older than him

I glad to see that his opinions on series that we both viewed continue to mirror each other.

Jesus Christ I forgot about the recap for Part 1.

My friend said she wants to watch all of Part 1 first, we can use that as a quick out and get straight to Battle Tendency.

Breads

Banned
Jesus Christ I forgot about the recap for Part 1.

My friend said she wants to watch all of Part 1 first, we can use that as a quick out and get straight to Battle Tendency.

Don't skip part 1. Watch the dub. It is phenomenal. The voice acting is amazing and the over the top stage play writing, hammy accents, and Castlevania's Dracula as Dio make dubbed part one my favorite adaptation of a Jojo part so far. S'truth!

Ezalc

I gotta say this ending arc has been kind of.. not great. For a part that started so strongly it really has petered out. If it was separated like Part 3 I'd probably put this second half at the bottom in terms of everything, maybe on par with Part 1. The only episodes I can really say I enjoyed a ton were "I'm an Alien" and "Cats Love Yoshikage Kira" -- all the rest were in first 17.

Couldn't disagree more given that the second half is when Kira appears and he's one of the greatest villains in Jojo. Also highway star, amazing fight.

shiyrley

Banned
Don't skip part 1. Watch the dub. It is phenomenal. The voice acting is amazing and the over the top stage play writing, hammy accents, and Castlevania's Dracula as Dio make dubbed part one my favorite adaptation of a Jojo part so far. S'truth!
This. The dub for both part 1 and part 2 is AMAZING.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dude on the far right is supposed to be Okuyasu while long haired dude is supposed to be Keicho.

I guess they're leaning hard into the 'little brother' aspect.

He's going to need a ton of makeup to pull off Okuyasu.

Man, imagine if Hollywood did an accurate Jojo adaptation. The Stand effects would be crazy.

Top Bottom