• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

The point Erigu is trying to make, I think, is that Jotaro and company should be extra-cautious and careful due to their situation and leap to check out anything even slightly suspicious. Obviously this isn't a big deal to Araki, given how many times in Stardust Crusaders there was one guy off getting attacked while the rest of the crew were somewhere else doing zip, but I think it's legitimate to feel that Araki should have been more careful in how he depicted group behavior when they know there's the likelihood of an unknown threat (or that the anime staff should have done more to clean up this aspect of Araki's writing).

Which would make for incredibly boring storytelling. People being cautious and safe isn't exciting. Making mistakes, bad calls of judgement and thus getting themselves into precarious situations is. Fincher's Zodiac wouldn't be half the movie if it didn't have Graysmith being reckless in his pursuit of the killer. And as I've said in a previous post, it's consistent with the theme of the Bites the Dust arc.

Well, anyway, I'm out of this. Arguing about what a character should have done is boring and fruitless.

We're coming at this from different angles I think. You're saying that it happening before doesn't mean it makes sense now, but I'm saying that it makes sense they would act this way now because they've done so before.

Somehow these two points coexist. Although logic has always been kinda fuzzy around Jojo.
It's Jojo there is no logic behind it.

There is plenty of logic, what's not to get about Rule of Cool?
Yeah I get it completely. It's just that with "rule of cool" it doesn't always allow the shit you see to make any kind of god damn sense. You can try to and occasionally I do, but Jojo is some whacked out bullshit. The quicker people get used to it the more fun they can have with it. This isn't even peak whacked out Jojo Bullshit.

Pompadour

This recent arc seems to be introducing fans of the Jojo principle that it doesn't have to make sense as long as it's dramatic. And this part is just the tip of the iceberg.

Crocodile

honestly I'd be nicer to David Pro, but damn, stupid complaints about "filler", assholes posting spoilers (yeah, thanks for calling us "neurotic" earlier), and then they choose to start fucking up right when the "plot" people were demanding occurs, then fuck up several of the best fights in DiU, so the complaints not only didn't stop, but increased!

I can't wait for this season to be over, it's been awful.

I mean, as an anime-only watcher, despite all the flaws of this Part (be they due to adaptation or writing issues from the original manga), I've been enjoying this show quite a bit. I don't think this season has been awful at all. I do hope they take some breaks for Part 5+ though. It's clear production issues and normal bottlenecks hurt the show.

I feel compressing 4 arcs into a single "Thursday" arc really screwed with pacing. Also they cut to many jokes overall.

Did it? I dunno, I thought that arc was mostly fine. I can't think of any strong pacing critiques I have.

great breakdown

I think this post does a good job of summarizing why a lot of anime-first watchers had problems with this scene

I think David Pro made the wrong call in not having a seasonal break like Stardust did and it's impacting Diamond's production in small ways like what I'm assuming is not having enough time to animate the heavy downpour that was in the manga. On top of taking away the believability of Jotaro not hearing Josuke but also, for me, takes away the atmosphere and cool imagery of Josuke and Kira facing down in the rain.

It's still a great episode though and I feel like the pacing of the showdown was more because this was a tense encounter similar to a character holding another character at gunpoint, like a one sided standoff.

Jex

I can't believe you folks are still discussing the problem of Jotaro not hearing the battle! I thought I covered this pretty extensively earlier, but jut to remind people:
The anime does a very poor job at conveying:

1. The battle is hard to hear from that distance
2. The rain is loud

As I wrote extensively here, the anime 'doesn't do a poor job' of conveying that. It literally tells the audience that Jotaro can hear the battle. It's very badly directed.
So any time any of you think you hear someone you know you immediately go on a search for the possible person instead of just glancing about, right?

I mean, Jotaro heard the noises, he just assumed it must be something else. I seriously can't see the problem here. The normal thought process isn't "Hey, that sounded like a voice I recognise" -> "They must be fighting for their life, I must abandons my plans for the day to search for them!"

You're missing the problems with the way it's portrayed in the anime. Jotaro doesn't hear noises, he literally hears the fight.
Which would make for incredibly boring storytelling. People being cautious and safe isn't exciting. Making mistakes, bad calls of judgement and thus getting themselves into precarious situations is. Fincher's Zodiac wouldn't be half the movie if it didn't have Graysmith being reckless in his pursuit of the killer. And as I've said in a previous post, it's consistent with the theme of the Bites the Dust arc.

Well, anyway, I'm out of this. Arguing about what a character should have done is boring and fruitless.
Having characters act completely inconsistently is not great storytelling. We've already been shown, on multiple occasions, that Jotaro is one of the most cautious and thorough people in the group. We know for sure that he'd check something out if he really heard anything. Ignoring his character in this battle, just for convenience, would be bad storytelling.

As I've written, the manga does not do this. Jotaro does not hear anything, but ironically he mentions that the rain sounds like Josuke. The way it's portrayed in the anime, he literally hears Josuke, then completely ignores it. That's why people watching the anime are frustrated with that scene and for good reason.

I'll buy that Jotaro couldn't make out the noise through the pouring rain (I mean it is thunderstorm.) But then if it's pouring rain, Josuke should easily be able to see the outline of every air bubble traveling towards him. I thought that's what he was doing at first with throwing his blood but he doesn't need to, it should always be visible.

BUT WHAT IS IT? I NEED TO KNOW

It's from a one-shot written by Araki that technically takes place between the end of part 4 and part 6, but isn't really relevant to anything as it has no bearing on the main story, though it does contain spoilers as it references events from part 4 on.

That said, like with the garbage light novel that must not be named, I don't recommend looking into it until part 4 concludes.

I also ask that nobody here try to elaborate on it further, even in a wink-wink fashion. Such discussion is best taken to the manga thread.

Moaradin

It's interesting to see manga readers calling this a bad adaption. As an anime only viewer, I think this has easily been the best JoJo season. Not only in the story and characters, but also the pacing, direction, and animation.

It's interesting to see manga readers calling this a bad adaption. As an anime only viewer, I think this has easily been the best JoJo season. Not only in the story and characters, but also the pacing, direction, and animation.
Yeah, it's an incredibly slow burn but once everything comes together it's easily the best.

cntr

Banned
The show is greater than any of the previous seasons, yeah. But when I read the manga, I thought it was one of the best pieces of fiction I had ever read, period. That might be a high standard to live up to, but David Pro messed it up for stupid reasons.

Funny, for me the previous parts were much slower burns, part 4 feels much more concentrated and focused.
I think the fact that so much of it makes no sense and feels absolutely random and ridiculous makes it feel slow for a lot of people, until later on when it all comes together and makes sense whereas previous parts were much more straightforward and you knew the end goal from the get go.

Well yeah lol, I'm hoping the following parts escalate things!

I can't believe you folks are still discussing the problem of Jotaro not hearing the battle! I thought I covered this pretty extensively earlier, but jut to remind people:

As I wrote extensively here, the anime 'doesn't do a poor job' of conveying that. It literally tells the audience that Jotaro can hear the battle. It's very badly directed.

I don't know that that's bad direction as much as a possible misinterpretation of the manga material. Despite your analysis of the manga designed to show that Jotaro heard nothing, just the fact that Jotaro turned towards the direction of Josuke's scream makes it logical for a reader to assume that Jotaro did in fact hear Josuke.

Edit: Honestly, I feel like the anime accurately reproduces what my interpretation of that scene in the manga is: Josuke screams, Jotaro hears it briefly and reacts, the sound of the scream fades to be replaced by the rain, Jotaro concludes he was mistaken and decides to ignore the sound he heard. I can see the argument that the anime should have portrayed that moment differently to avoid the questions that people here have had about it, but I don't think the manga is immune from the same questions here.

How many more episodes? Think I fell off the bandwagon in the 20s so I'd like to marathon the rest.

2 i think
tears.gif

Breads

Banned
The conclusion I came to is that we've become complacent that it even got adapted at all. Remember it took more than two decades to get here :X

It just occurred to me that, had Kira won there and then, Part 6 wouldn't have happened. Don't want to post manga spoilers, but anyone who has read Part 6 would obviously put the dots together.

Jex

I don't know that that's bad direction as much as a possible misinterpretation of the manga material. Despite your analysis of the manga designed to show that Jotaro heard nothing, just the fact that Jotaro turned towards the direction of Josuke's scream makes it logical for a reader to assume that Jotaro did in fact hear Josuke.

Edit: Honestly, I feel like the anime accurately reproduces what my interpretation of that scene in the manga is: Josuke screams, Jotaro hears it briefly and reacts, the sound of the scream fades to be replaced by the rain, Jotaro concludes he was mistaken and decides to ignore the sound he heard. I can see the argument that the anime should have portrayed that moment differently to avoid the questions that people here have had about it, but I don't think the manga is immune from the same questions here.

Okay, so here's why I think it's qualitatively different, and it basically relates to your edit above. When you read the manga, your mind interprets the material and that creates the scene. In the anime, the scene actually exists and there is no interpretation.

In the manga, there is of course no sound, only sound bubbles and sound effects. If the sound effect of Josuke's scream is not literally in the same panel with Jotaro, then we don't literally know what he hears. Everything is left to the viewers interpretation - we create the scenario in our mind based off what we read in the manga. Now you are free to interpret it however you want, but it's arguably ambiguous.

In the anime, because the audio is literally exists and is playing across the scene, it's not ambiguous and we're not creating the audio in our mind - we are actually hearing it. To go back to the manga, the equivalent would be having the speech bubble featuring Josuke's scream literally be on the same panel as Jotaro's reacting a noise.

So I will agree with you that the manga can be read multiple ways, some of which might be problematic, but I don't think that's true of the anime.

It's probably also worth pointing out that when you skim across a manga panel briefly you get a very different impression of events compared to actually experiencing them in the anime. This really speaks to the very large differences between the two mediums, especially with respect to how often your mind "fills in the gaps" when reading a manga or comic book.

Ascheroth

Personally I'd say DiU is a way better adaption than Stardust Crusaders.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but you can't honestly tell me that it wouldn't have benefitted drom some tighter pacing. Some of the fights were too drawn out for 2 episodes.
I get that it can be a bummer when your favorite scene doesn't get portrayed in the anime exactly as it was, but an exact 1:1 adaption of everything isn't feasible and also usually not a good idea. Anime and manga are just way different mediums.
Like, it's fine to have a full page of random trivia in the manga with lots of text, since you can read it at your own pace and even skim it if it's too much or not too interesting. But in an anime, time is a fixed quantity and you have to ask yourself if it's a good idea to spend 3 minutes to narrate a single trivia page.

remz

It just occurred to me that, had Kira won there and then, Part 6 wouldn't have happened. Don't want to post manga spoilers, but anyone who has read Part 6 would obviously put the dots together.
Don't at all read this unless you've finished jojos

If this is about Jolyne- she's already been born. I think she's about 6-9 years old.

Don't really want to talk about manga stuff in the anime thread tho.

---

Re: this week's episode. Really liked it. Loved how menacing kira and killer queen looked and how his absolutely weirdness was coming along in the direction this week. The mask of normal kira is totally off. The Jotaro bit definitely stood out, but it wasn't enough to ruin the episode for me. I'm really excited to see next week- I can't believe i'm finally seeing this fight animated.

The conclusion I came to is that we've become complacent that it even got adapted at all. Remember it took more than two decades to get here :X

Well, I don't think people should be satisfied merely with "I'm glad it was adapted at all." People waited years for an anime adaptation of Berserk past the Golden Age, and they finally got one this year, and it's pretty bad. Of course, the Diamond is Unbreakable anime isn't anywhere near that low quality.

Okay, so here's why I think it's qualitatively different, and it basically relates to your edit above. When you read the manga, your mind interprets the material and that creates the scene. In the anime, the scene actually exists and there is no interpretation.

In the manga, there is of course no sound, only sound bubbles and sound effects. If the sound effect of Josuke's scream is not literally in the same panel with Jotaro, then we don't literally know what he hears. Everything is left to the viewers interpretation - we create the scenario in our mind based off what we read in the manga. Now you are free to interpret it however you want, but it's arguably ambiguous.

In the anime, because the audio is literally exists and is playing across the scene, it's not ambiguous and we're not creating the audio in our mind - we are actually hearing it. To go back to the manga, the equivalent would be having the speech bubble featuring Josuke's scream literally be on the same panel as Jotaro's reacting a noise.

So I will agree with you that the manga can be read multiple ways, some of which might be problematic, but I don't think that's true of the anime.

It's probably also worth pointing out that when you skim across a manga panel briefly you get a very different impression of events compared to actually experiencing them in the anime. This really speaks to the very large differences between the two mediums, especially with respect to how often your mind "fills in the gaps" when reading a manga or comic book.

I agree that the manga is more amenable of multiple interpretations, and of course it's inevitable that reading a manga creates a different impression than watching an anime. That's why you sometimes run into people who don't want to watch film adaptations of books they enjoyed, because they don't want to let the film's interpretation intrude on their interpretative imagination of the material.

Here I'm just trying to argue that I don't think the interpretation of the scene the anime offers is inconsistent with Araki's manga, in the sense that makes it a bad adaptation, and in fact it's probably the most sensible interpretation of the scene unless you're specifically looking to avoid the questions of logical inconsistency people have raised here. The key is the panel showing Jotaro turning away from the others (there's even some speed lines right next to his face to indicate a sudden movement) with an exclamation mark in his speech bubble. An exclamation mark is a standard way to mark a sudden reaction - think of how it is used as the alert symbol in Metal Gear when a guard hears a sound. Then the next panel shows Jotaro looking at the empty sidewalk and rain falling, which the anime mirrors by having the scream fade very soon after we see Jotaro on screen. If these panels did not exist and Jotaro just said "The rain sounds like Josuke" without any precedent, then I would be more willing to believe your theory that he did not hear anything.

Also, in my experience with manga, I haven't found it typical for it to be treated that characters cannot hear sounds from previous panels unless the sound bubble visually extends into their own panel. You may have read different manga where that is a rule, though.

Don't at all read this unless you've finished jojos

If this is about Jolyne- she's already been born. I think she's about 6-9 years old.

Don't really want to talk about manga stuff in the anime thread tho.

It's actually not that. You're on the right track, though, I think.

DP trying to make a by-the-book adaption (for the most part) is one of its bigger sins, for sure

It just makes things look wonky when fitting it to episode format (the whole Jotaro rain thing) but mostly my problem with the anime is how static it feels

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A previous episode had Koichi blatantly disbelieve Rohan was being attacked even when Rohan was practically begging him to believe him. It's already been established that these characters are not paranoid 24/7, likely because they are still living normal lives for the vast majority of their time that we don't see because we only watch the stand related stuff. Jotaro himself states that he believes that the voice he heard was nothing. It was not suspicious to him, because he didn't think he even heard it. It's not like he heard him clearly and decided it would be fine.

I dunno, I'm gonna give up defending this. If people aren't going to accept a person not acting on no suspicions as a realistic response then there's not much else I could do.

Also I'm tired and it's 1am and I'm pretty sure we've thought more about what actions Jotaro would take in a given situation at this point more than Araki had ever intended anyone to do.
TBF Rohan is a total dick remember how he forced Koichi to come to his house to read his life at will and manipulate his every move casually. No ordinary person would trust that guy. The fact they're even friends with him is quite absurd.

munchie64

DP trying to make a by-the-book adaption (for the most part) is one of its bigger sins, for sure

It just makes things look wonky when fitting it to episode format (the whole Jotaro rain thing) but mostly my problem with the anime is how static it feels
I dunno. When I think by the book, I think of something made by A1.
Simply churning out the story in a new format without the clear love poured into JoJo's.

(Not that every A1 show is like that at all).

Top Bottom