• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Aw geez, you totally $100% got it. He gets a new outfit and his old face back
6727302a43a1733005a9c4345fafd51f86bae3cb_hq.jpg

You seriously have to take down tht pic

Breads

Banned
Nothing beats the original - where in CLAMP's canon Jotaro and Kakyoin had sex and then they woke up with a giant egg in their bed.

If you ever found yourself watching a Clamp anime and wondering how Jojo would look...

Thud

I would say Stardust Crusaders is a far better adaption. In the sense that's always consistent with the manga. Production gave enough room for every fight and the peaks and valleys in the manga are also in the anime.

Whereas with Diamond is Unbreakable it's more hit/miss. I do like the try, but sometimes the manga does not translate well to the anime. Spatial framing like we've seen in the last episode was also a thing when Okuyasu fought Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think David Pro did the best they could in the schedule they had. Even coming up with elaborate tricks like the thursday arc or switching the Cinderella arc with Sheer Heart Attack. Still some cuts had to be made, like the blood thing in superfly.

I disagree with cntr that the anime doesn't convey the essence of the manga. I do agree with the fact that the manga is simply better. About 10 years ago I read Diamond is not Crash (yes Duwang) and I got some really mixed feelings about it. So different from the classical jojo, this part had its dull moments and some high notes. The ending sequence is exactly what the series deserves, giving the hype it needed. Now with the anime I can appreciate the manga better. It's a piece of work you won't easily find. I hope everyone can experience that. Do explore the manga when it's available to you.

Hopefully DP comes out as the better studio with Part 5, which is one of my all time favorites. Anime and manga are a powerful medium and a few changes can make a lot of difference.

Cheers,

from a long time Jojo fan.

Betty

Banned
Jotaro heard Josuke just fine but he's letting him handle it on his own so he doesn't take the limelight away from Josuke.

Good guy Jotaro

Pinewood

Jotaro heard Josuke just fine but he's letting him handle it on his own so he doesn't take the limelight away from Josuke.

Good guy Jotaro
Jotaro is just a lazy fuck in part 4. Remember him opening the door with Star Platinum? Josuke was too far away and Jotaro didnt bother to go to his aid

Betty

Banned
Jotaro is just a lazy fuck in part 4. Remember him opening the door with Star Platinum? Josuke was too far away and Jotaro didnt bother to go to his aid

This is why I'd take something like Shigechi's Harvest over a heavy hitting but short distance stand any day.

Pinewood

Prediction:

Kira gets the upper hand, insults Josuke and makes a comment about his hair, Kira loses.

I like to imagine that insulting Josukes hair makes him invincible to most stand effects. Like Dio would say shit about his hair and even when he stops time Josuke would still beat the shit out of him in pure rage

Erigu

there's no possible response to it other than "that's how Jojo is", so it's just a circular argument about nothing, and that's really frustrating.
"That's how JoJo is" isn't the only possible response, it's just the only one you resort to. And answering to criticism about x with "that's how x is" doesn't lead to particularly fascinating conversations, that's for sure...

consistency will never be an important part of the series, because that's simply not what Jojo intends to be.
Just because the author doesn't care much about consistency, that doesn't mean it couldn't improve the series a tiny bit. I mean, I see some talk about how Araki "sacrifices consistency for a good story", but I'm not sure how, say, simply not having Jōtarō comment on the rain sounding like Jōsuke would make for a worse story. For example.

Maybe if the manga had released in 2016 and people here had been following it weekly instead of being able to binge read entire chapters at once there'd also have been complaints.
Hey, I was following it weekly, back then!

It is interesting to hear that the anime doesn't translate what you consider to be important elements of the source material, because simply viewing the work as an anime series, it's clearly far superior to their previous works on almost every conceivable level.
For the record, I disagree with cntr about that one. Yes, there were some cuts (Parts 1 and 2 had a few as well, and sure, it would have been nice to get some extra seconds/minutes here and there), but nothing all that important, from what I recall.

Just because the author doesn't care much about consistency, that doesn't mean it couldn't improve the series a tiny bit. I mean, I see some talk about how Araki "sacrifices consistency for a good story", but I'm not sure how, say, simply not having Jōtarō comment on the rain sounding like Jōsuke would make for a worse story. For example.

I feel like Jotaro saying nothing wouldn't have been better. At least it's an explanation. If he had said nothing, then the question would have been 'why aren't they hearing all of this yelling?' in which case we would have had to speculate (of which there has been a lot of already, to be fair).

Erigu

I feel like Jotaro saying nothing wouldn't have been better. At least it's an explanation. If he had said nothing, then the question would have been 'why aren't they hearing all of this yelling?' in which case we would have had to speculate (of which there has been a lot of already, to be fair).
I'd rather ask myself if they shouldn't be hearing all of this yelling, if the rain is really that loud, if they're really too far away, than why Jōtarō (of all people) doesn't even think to look around a tiny bit upon hearing what sounds like Jōsuke.

I'd rather ask myself if they shouldn't be hearing all of this yelling, if the rain is really that loud, if they're really too far away, than why Jōtarō (of all people) doesn't even think to look around a tiny bit upon hearing what sounds like Jōsuke.

Fair enough.

People need to remember this is the anime OT. Whether you like how the adaptation was done does not does not speak of the quality of the anime itself, which IMO is great, and better than Stardust Crusaders.

I think it was stupid that Jotaro didn't investigate the noise.

The anime does a very poor job at conveying:

1. The battle is hard to hear from that distance
2. The rain is loud

That was incredible. Josuke using his ingenuity like his predecessors. Fucking Kira using the plant to make himself even more OP.

And it's fucking unbelievable that Jotaro heard Josuke's voice and thought nothing of it, knowing how sharp he is. And how the fuck does Hayato just stand there and not scream at Rohan when knew that that bites the dust was deactivated? Like WTF? I was expecting to hear ZA WARUDO when Josuke was in that tight spot. I know Araki didn't want any of them to interfere to force Josuke to grow.

Oh, and Hayato is a tactical genius. If he had a stand, he'd be a formidable foe.

I definitely feel like Diamond is Unbreakable has been a stronger adaptation than Stardust Crusaders (not to mention the first two parts). Yes, it's a shame that several fun scenes and lines have been cut, and there have probably been more doofy-looking episodes than in Stardust Crusaders, but the pacing is massively, massively better. Stardust's anime feels really dragged out in comparison, and outside of its best moments it doesn't do nearly as good a job selling JJBA's high-octane stand battles.

Eumi

So any time any of you think you hear someone you know you immediately go on a search for the possible person instead of just glancing about, right?

I mean, Jotaro heard the noises, he just assumed it must be something else. I seriously can't see the problem here. The normal thought process isn't "Hey, that sounded like a voice I recognise" -> "They must be fighting for their life, I must abandons my plans for the day to search for them!"

So any time any of you think you hear someone you know you immediately go on a search for the possible person instead of just glancing about, right?

I mean, Jotaro heard the noises, he just assumed it must be something else. I seriously can't see the problem here. The normal thought process isn't "Hey, that sounded like a voice I recognise" -> "They must be fighting for their life, I must abandons my plans for the day to search for them!"

That's what I've been saying. People's knowledge about the encounter between Josuke and Kira is clouding their judgement on this one.

Isn't the battle really fast too? Like a minute long?

Possibly. Time is always wonky in fictional works.

That's what I've been saying. People's knowledge about the encounter between Josuke and Kira is clouding their judgement on this one.

I disagree here. I think the issue is that Jotaro is the one who made the call not to investigate. Yet he's more experienced, and wasn't he always paranoid and cautious about Stands and Stand Users in Part 3?

Also the issue is that we hear the loud ass scream carry over, and the barely audible pitter patter of rain. So it isn't really believable from the audience's perspective for him to just brush it off. It's like a guard in a stealth game.

I disagree here. I think the issue is that Jotaro is the one who made the call not to investigate. Yet he's more experienced, and wasn't he always paranoid and cautious about Stands and Stand Users in Part 3?

There's multiple instances in Part 3 where they're like "oh someone's a lil late, it's probably nothing" while that someone was getting the shit kicked out of them somewhere else. Jotaro, Rohan and Koichi simply don't feel like they're in danger. Yes, they're investigating a serial killer but they aren't paranoid 24/7.

Erigu

There's multiple instances in Part 3 where they're like "oh someone's a lil late, it's probably nothing" while that someone was getting the shit kicked out of them somewhere else.
As has been said already, the fact it happened before doesn't render the bit of criticism moot (on the contrary?).

Yes, they're investigating a serial killer but they aren't paranoid 24/7.
They could be a bit cautious when they're actually following a lead. Not to mention they've been attacked several times extremely recently.

Eumi

As has been said already, the fact it happened before doesn't render the bit of criticism moot (on the contrary?).

They could be a bit cautious when they're actually following a lead. Not to mention they've been attacked several times extremely recently.
"Hey, I think I hear Josuke. I should probably wait here, since I'm supposed to be meeting him here, and he's probably with his friend."

Or is that too unrealistic for you?

Erigu

"Hey, I think I hear Josuke. I should probably wait here, since I'm supposed to be meeting him here, and he's probably with his friend."
Or is that too unrealistic for you?
Again, that seems quite nonchalant, considering they're investigating a serial killer who's been trying to get rid of them fairly recently.
And he's supposed to wait there? Well, he's not alone anyway, so there's nothing keeping him from looking around a little bit, really. Hell, he wouldn't even have to: they have Echoes.

Eumi

Again, that seems quite nonchalant, considering they're investigating a serial killer who's been trying to get rid of them fairly recently.
And he's supposed to wait there? Well, he's not alone anyway, so there's nothing keeping him from looking around a little bit, really. Hell, he wouldn't even have to: they have Echoes.
Why would they use echoes to look for Josuke? They don't know he's being attacked. They have no reason to look for him, so the fact that they aren't shouldn't be an issue.

NeonZ

They know that they might be dealing with killers with special powers at any moment though. There was no known number of enemies this time, so for all they knew there could still be more Stand users around in addition to Kira himself.

Even putting that aside, if I had been sitting still for a while and heard a familiar voice nearby I'd check it just to stretch my legs.

People have been arguing that Jotaro is this super cautious person when past evidence shows that, surprise, he really isn't to the extent you expect him to be.

A "lead"? That's a real stretch. They're trying to meet a kid that's filming his dad. They clearly don't feel like they're in any danger. Rohan even engages Hayato by himself.

Why would they use echoes to look for Josuke? They don't know he's being attacked. They have no reason to look for him, so the fact that they aren't shouldn't be an issue.

The point Erigu is trying to make, I think, is that Jotaro and company should be extra-cautious and careful due to their situation and leap to check out anything even slightly suspicious. Obviously this isn't a big deal to Araki, given how many times in Stardust Crusaders there was one guy off getting attacked while the rest of the crew were somewhere else doing zip, but I think it's legitimate to feel that Araki should have been more careful in how he depicted group behavior when they know there's the likelihood of an unknown threat (or that the anime staff should have done more to clean up this aspect of Araki's writing).

Erigu

They have no reason to look for him
(Last try, I swear.)

* They're investigating a serial killer.
* They almost caught the guy already and he had to change his identity because of them.
* The guy tried to have them killed really recently.
* They know Rohan is on to something (Cheap Trick tried to get him to burn his photographs).
* They're following a possible lead right now.
* Jōsuke is late.

Considering all that, it might be somewhat worth it to check on that voice, especially considering Echoes would make that fairly easy.

There's multiple instances in Part 3 where they're like "oh someone's a lil late, it's probably nothing" while that someone was getting the shit kicked out of them somewhere else. Jotaro, Rohan and Koichi simply don't feel like they're in danger. Yes, they're investigating a serial killer but they aren't paranoid 24/7.

Though weren't all of them like recently attacked by Stand users created by Kira's father?

Also like there's a difference between "he's late", and [Josuke's screaming audio plays really loudly. Jotaro looks towards the direction of the scream] "thought I heard something" *do nothing*

Eumi

The point Erigu is trying to make, I think, is that Jotaro and company should be extra-cautious and careful due to their situation and leap to check out anything even slightly suspicious. Obviously this isn't a big deal to Araki, given how many times in Stardust Crusaders there was one guy off getting attacked while the rest of the crew were somewhere else doing zip, but I think it's legitimate to feel that Araki should have been more careful in how he depicted group behavior when they know there's the likelihood of an unknown threat (or that the anime staff should have done more to clean up this aspect of Araki's writing).
A previous episode had Koichi blatantly disbelieve Rohan was being attacked even when Rohan was practically begging him to believe him. It's already been established that these characters are not paranoid 24/7, likely because they are still living normal lives for the vast majority of their time that we don't see because we only watch the stand related stuff. Jotaro himself states that he believes that the voice he heard was nothing. It was not suspicious to him, because he didn't think he even heard it. It's not like he heard him clearly and decided it would be fine.

I dunno, I'm gonna give up defending this. If people aren't going to accept a person not acting on no suspicions as a realistic response then there's not much else I could do.

Also I'm tired and it's 1am and I'm pretty sure we've thought more about what actions Jotaro would take in a given situation at this point more than Araki had ever intended anyone to do.

Eumi

And again, just because it happened before, that doesn't make it...

... Ah, well.
We're coming at this from different angles I think. You're saying that it happening before doesn't mean it makes sense now, but I'm saying that it makes sense they would act this way now because they've done so before.

Somehow these two points coexist. Although logic has always been kinda fuzzy around Jojo.

Top Bottom