• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

LotusHD

Banned
"The stench of a homewrecker is all over you." I said GOD DAMN!!

Part 4 has the main bad guy using a detached decaying hand to finger bang some sandwiches and then you see him sucking the sauce off of said hand publicly in a store. Part 3 has nothing on that and I love Dio.

That's not necessarily that funny to me though, unless you're just talking about which Part was more absurd, which in that case, yea, Part 4 easily wins.

That's not necessarily that funny to me though, unless you're just talking about which Part was more absurd, which in that case, yea, Part 4 easily wins.
I think Part 4 did more to bring Kira into the story than Part 3 did for Dio. Dio was nothing more than the final boss fight in a Mega Man game in my opinion. It didn't do much to characterize him and we watched SDC knowing full well that this shit ends with Dio fight. In Part 4 Kira was an actual character. You see him live a "boring life" explode at having to repress his urges, have trouble gardening and so forth. Dude exploded off the page. So far Kira's the only villain that could hold a candle to Dio in pure fun bullshit though I like Dio more in Part 1 than I did in SDC cause you actually see him interact with the world more in Part 1.

Neoxon

Was it just me, or did Crunchyroll fuck up & put Killer Queen in the subtitles once (before Kira triggered Bites the Dust)?

LotusHD

Banned
I think Part 4 did more to bring Kira into the story than Part 3 did for Dio. Dio was nothing more than the final boss fight in a Mega Man game in my opinion. It didn't do much to characterize him and we watched SDC knowing full well that this shit ends with Dio fight. In Part 4 Kira was an actual character. You see him live a "boring life" explode at having to repress his urges, have trouble gardening and so forth. Dude exploded off the page. So far Kira's the only villain that could hold a candle to Dio in pure fun bullshit though I like Dio more in Part 1 than I did in SDC cause you actually see him interact with the world more in Part 1.

Hence why he's the far more interesting villain. But, I liked the whole sort of "road trip" vibe (Damn, Part 3 makes FFXV look like shit when I put it that way) they had going on while en route to Dio's location. And episodes like the one with Iggy vs. Pet Shop were classics to me. Not that I didn't like the weekly stuff of Part 4, but Part 3 is more likely to stick with me.

If I had to sum it up for myself, basically:

- Both parts had a good secondary cast, but Part 3 was slightly better (emphasis on slightly, Koichi, Rohan, and Hayato in particular were amazing)
- Part 4 had a much better villain for the reasons you mentioned and more
- Slice of Life aspect in a contained setting vs. "Road Trip" vibe with numerous locations that I fond to be more appealing in general
- Found Part 3 to be more hilarious in general
- Part 4 had the far more satisfying ending

Gun to my head, I guess I'd ultimately pick Part 4, since at the end of the day, I loathe when something ends in a unsatisfactory way, which Part 3 IMO did. And Kira really was that good. And it had a bunch of solid parts, like Hayato aiding in taking down Kira.
Or maybe I'd still be indecisive and just die right there because both parts were sooo good

Betty

Banned
Part 4 was great but I preferred Stardust's focused structure to DiU's switch-up a third of the way through.

I mean people say Araki was making it up as it went along in part 4 and it shows, everything up to Chilli Pepper's capture is a totally different story.

And while the stands in part 4 were far more eccentric and unique, I did prefer part 3's fights overall.

However, the arc "Yoshikage Kira just wants a quiet life - Sheer Heart Attack" is simply the best JoJo i've seen so far, unbelievably good.

I wish Kira had been a factor earlier, spent more time as Kawajiri and as fun as they were the italian food episode and rat episode really do feel like filler which I know will trigger manga readers but it's just an opinion.

While I loved Jotaro being here (he's one of my fav JoJo's) it did feel like Araki constantly had to find ways to keep him away from major encounters to not end the story sooner.

So basically part 4 is just a tiny bit behind part 3 in my rankings, if Kira entered the picture earlier it would be higher.

cntr

Banned
Was it just me, or did Crunchyroll fuck up & put Killer Queen in the subtitles once (before Kira triggered Bites the Dust)?
I think the Crunchyroll subtitlers write in the actual names and then go back to correct them, but they sometimes forget

munchie64

Rohan Kishibe's Adventure is probably my favourite episode of JoJo's so far. It was amazing watching that shit the first time.

My rankings now would be:
4, 2, 1, 3

Hence why he's the far more interesting villain. But, I liked the whole sort of "road trip" vibe (Damn, Part 3 makes FFXV look like shit when I put it that way) they had going on while en route to Dio's location. And episodes like the one with Iggy vs. Pet Shop were classics to me. Not that I didn't like the weekly stuff of Part 4, but Part 3 is more likely to stick with me.

If I had to sum it up for myself, basically:

- Both parts had a good secondary cast, but Part 3 was slightly better (emphasis on slightly, Koichi, Rohan, and Hayato in particular were amazing)
- Part 4 had a much better villain for the reasons you mentioned and more
- Slice of Life aspect in a contained setting vs. "Road Trip" vibe with numerous locations that I fond to be more appealing in general
- Found Part 3 to be more hilarious in general
- Part 4 had the far more satisfying ending

Gun to my head, I guess I'd ultimately pick Part 4, since at the end of the day, I loathe when something ends in a unsatisfactory way, which Part 3 IMO did. And Kira really was that good. And it had a bunch of solid parts, like Hayato aiding in taking down Kira.
Or maybe I'd still be indecisive and just die right there
I think I like Part 4 more because it put more emphasis on the secondary characters. The "Jojo" wasn't the only fleshed out person. I'm fine enough with the SDC cast, but I don't like Polnareff too much, dude got too many useful people killed and in Avdol's case his stupidity got Avdol fucked up twice...probably would've been more than that, but Vanilla Ice plays for fucking keeps. I actually like the slice of life aspect of DiU. Kind of shows how you don't have to have a varied setting to have fun with your characters. The Duwang Gang had all sorts of fun adventures just crossing the street. I actually also like the bond between them more. Granted I probably need to rewatch SDC, but I had more fun watching SDC as well. Not everything was life or death and allowed for stand hijinks without the villain of the week getting Ora'd into fucing pudding by the end of it. I can't imagine Yukako being a Part 3 fight cause well, she'd be dead.

cntr

Banned
mOej5Ds.jpg

Reminder: when the 2012 anime came out, Duwang was still the only complete version of Part 4.

Ezalc

Part 4 wins because the villain and the jojo are just so much better than part 3. I love dio's bullshit antics but fuck if Kira isn't an amazing villain. Josuke is also actually fun as a protagonist so yeah. Part 4 easily.

Neoxon

I think the Crunchyroll subtitlers write in the actual names and then go back to correct them, but they sometimes forget
I recall one instance during Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life - Part 2 where the original names were left completely untouched (Killer Queen, Crazy Diamond, etc.), but they promptly corrected it afterwards. I wish I took a picture of it when I saw it.

cntr

Banned
I recall one instance during Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life - Part 2 where the original names were left completely untouched (Killer Queen, Crazy Diamond, etc.), but they promptly corrected it afterwards. I wish I took a picture of it when I saw it.
I noticed when they missed a "Highway Star" in that arc

Style

Banned
Part 4 definitely had the better villain, but for me it was just missing the "adventure". Again, I think Part 4 is really great, but what makes Part 3 top it for me was the adventurous tone it had and the sightseeing aspect.

The character spotlight was also greater and characters more apparent. I'm not just saying that because Josuke wasn't in the front and center all of the time; Jotaro was a pretty flat character in his own part even. It was the little bits like Polnareff's personality, his and Avdols relationship, Kakyoin's relationship with the Joestars and how highly he thought of them and Iggy not even wanting to be there. Despite only being 5 guys and a dog, the cast was more nuanced. The flow of events were pretty simple too: Travel to the bad guy's lair and beat him, which probably helped giving the characters more focus. The slice of life together with the mystery cuts this for DIU though.

DIU ends up having just as great a cast as Stardust Crusaders in the end though so it has that going for it.

Funny enough, I end up loving DIU for the exact same reasons it stands out from the other parts: It feels like a series of one-shot stories tied together by underlying story rather than a grand epic.

LotusHD

Banned
I think I like Part 4 more because it put more emphasis on the secondary characters. The "Jojo" wasn't the only fleshed out person. I'm fine enough with the SDC cast, but I don't like Polnareff too much, dude got too many useful people killed and in Avdol's case his stupidity got Avdol fucked up twice...probably would've been more than that, but Vanilla Ice plays for fucking keeps. I actually like the slice of life aspect of DiU. Kind of shows how you don't have to have a varied setting to have fun with your characters. The Duwang Gang had all sorts of fun adventures just crossing the street. I actually also like the bond between them more. Granted I probably need to rewatch SDC, but I had more fun watching SDC as well. Not everything was life or death and allowed for stand hijinks without the villain of the week getting Ora'd into fucing pudding by the end of it. I can't imagine Yukako being a Part 3 fight cause well, she'd be dead.

I don't dislike the slice of life, I just liked what Part 3 did better. Basically there's nothing I really, truly dislike about Part 4, just liked certain things that Part 3 did a bit better lol

Also @ Ezalc, that's a good point. Since Part 3, I've been focusing so much on the secondary cast and not really factor in the Jojos, but that was in large part because Jotaro was just sort of there. He was cool and all, but still, he was just there. Whereas Josuke is a far more interesting character in general, and his power is cooler.

I don't get the part 3 comparisons with part 5. If anything Part 5 is even MORE focused in terms of objectives. People who disliked the sporadic nature of part 4 and even 3 somewhat, will LOVE how straighforward part 5 is. Unless the budget shrinks again, the fights for part 5's anime are also going to be the best of the series.

Edit: Srry about the teasing again, I'll stop there. Just wanted to set things straight regarding structures

LotusHD

Banned
I feel like I can't even rate Part 5 properly until I see it animated. Translations were just such a mess for me when I read it, and it was hard to follow the fights at times.

EDIT: My bad, just saw the post. Nothing further I want to say on it anyways.

Guess Who

Banned
The character spotlight was also greater and characters more apparent. I'm not just saying that because Josuke wasn't in the front and center all of the time; Jotaro was a pretty flat character in his own part even. It was the little bits like Polnareff's personality, his and Avdols relationship, Kakyoin's relationship with the Joestars and how highly he thought of them and Iggy not even wanting to be there. Despite only being 5 guys and a dog, the cast was more nuanced. The flow of events were pretty simple too: Travel to the bad guy's lair and beat him, which probably helped giving the characters more focus. The slice of life together with the mystery cuts this for DIU though.

Man, I can't agree with this at all. Jotaro was a Stoic Badass, Joseph and Polnareff were comic relief (Joseph in particular got absolutely butchered as a character compared to his Part 2 incarnation), Kakyoin and Avdol were barely there - the entire main cast of SC is extremely flat and nowhere near in the same league as the DiU cast. That, and aside from Hol Horse, pretty much all the Villains of the Week in SC get beaten and then never come up again, unlike DiU where almost everyone becomes at least a minor character to bro it up a bit with Josuke and co. and flesh them out more.

DiU is far and away the best JoJo part so far in terms of endearing and fleshed out characters.

Permanently A

I feel like I can't even rate Part 5 properly until I see it animated. Translations were just such a mess for me when I read it, and it was hard to follow the fights at times.

EDIT: My bad, just saw the post. Nothing further I want to say on it anyways.

Absolute, Part 5 is my least favorite part and I'm sure its just because I had no idea what the fuck was going on. It'll be cool to finally experience it the way its supposed to be experienced.

I don't dislike the slice of life, I just liked what Part 3 did better. Basically there's nothing I really, truly dislike about Part 4, just liked certain things that Part 3 did a bit better lol

Also @ Ezalc, that's a good point. Since Part 3, I've been focusing so much on the secondary cast and not really factor in the Jojos, but that was in large part because Jotaro was just sort of there. He was cool and all, but still, he was just there. Whereas Josuke is a far more interesting character in general, and his power is cooler.
I'm all for adventure and have nothing against Part 3's adventure tone, I just like it when something pays more attention to the characters. So DiU being simpler and more quaint is probably just right up my alley.

Thinking about it more, it's interesting how, from Kira's point-of-view, we assume he was successful with activating Bites the Dust, but then later learn that he died and we get a flashback to how the events actually happened.

It's such an unorthodox way of presenting the main villain's demise and it's executed masterfully.

I'm going to assume that getting pummeled by Star Platinum combined with Kira's unwavering drive to survive put Kira in a delirious, semi-conscious state.
The explosion we see when BTD is "triggered" is probably the moment of impact when wheel of the ambulance hits Kira's head.
And Kira and KQ being "sucked through time" is probably his soul transporting to the Alleyway.

Even in death, Kira was convinced he had won.

Style

Banned
Man, I can't agree with this at all. Jotaro was a Stoic Badass, Joseph and Polnareff were comic relief (Joseph in particular got absolutely butchered as a character compared to his Part 2 incarnation), Kakyoin and Avdol were barely there - the entire main cast of SC is extremely flat and nowhere near in the same league as the DiU cast. That, and aside from Hol Horse, pretty much all the Villains of the Week in SC get beaten and then never come up again, unlike DiU where almost everyone becomes at least a minor character to bro it up a bit with Josuke and co. and flesh them out more.

DiU is far and away the best JoJo part so far in terms of endearing and fleshed out characters.

I don't think Polnareff being comic relief negates what I think about him. He still has the Ebony Devil/Hanged Man/Judgement/Vanilla Ice fight. Kakyoin and Avdol were barely there? But Kakyoin does have a role. He's the voice of reason who helps Polnareff sort out his mess, shines in the Death 13 fight and cracks the riddle of The World. They aren't in anyway flat. And you're right about everyone becoming minor characters with huge emphasis on minor. DP even had to make up scenes for Tonio and Aya because they are so minor.

Let's agree to disagree on this one, Guess. (ง •̀_•́)ง
Stardust Crusaders vs. Diamond Is Unbreakable is pretty much apple vs. oranges, so I won't advocate one over the other, but I will say your ripping on it is unjustified. It did many things wrong, but the cast wasn't one of them.

cntr

Banned
I prefer DiU, but I've grown to appreciate PB and SDC. They might be my least favorite parts, but I'd rank them above most things I've read or watched.

LotusHD

Banned
Kira wanted to live a peaceful quiet life and died in one of the most gruesome way. Oh the poetic irony.

I would not say it's the most gruesome, especially not in a series like Jojo. Someone pointed out that it was a pretty anti-climatic, unlucky way to go, which is where the real irony lies. The guy that wanted a peaceful life gets an unexciting death (Unexciting when compared to dying to like Star Platinum or some shit) and is normally very lucky just goes out like that. Tis' a shame.

Unless you're counting the "second death" as the gruesome part, but I disagree since he had already died.

Kneefoil

Did Araki just retcon how Bite the dust works? Kira was basically using it as bomb nr1 lol
It still works the same. Remember that Hayato was dead when Kira first used Bite the Dust on him, so it seems he has to activate himself when he first plants it into someone. Afterwards, it can only be activated by whoever it's planted in.

Concerning Josuke's flashback, I'm convinced that the man that helped him as a kid really was intended to be a time traveling Josuke. Araki probably had in mind a time reversing ability for the final boss from the start, but as the end approached, he decided that a simple ability like that was boring and it didn't fully fit Kira's character. And then he decided there wasn't an easy way to fit Josuke being sent back in time, and thus didn't bother.

Yeah, I was expecting it too ever since I first saw it. I was expecting the main antagonist to send Josuke to the past in the final battle, Now I'm speculating that that was how BtD was initially supposed to work, but then Araki figured that the Hayato storyline would work better if BtD worked differently.

cntr

Banned
Nah, Bites the Dust can be activated manually if Kira wishes. He could've planted it on the panties guy and used that to escape, but he blew him up instead.

Top Bottom