• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Gordito

Neo Member
Part 5 got a horrible translation, so it's the worst received part in the English speaking fandom, lol. It's very popular in Europe and Japan, where they got proper translations. But yeah, Part 5 and 6 are going to be hype as hell.

So would it just be best to wait for the anime then? I was going to pick up the manga now that Part 4 is over, but I'd rather wait if the translation is that bad.

So would it just be best to wait for the anime then? I was going to pick up the manga now that Part 4 is over, but I'd rather wait if the translation is that bad.

The are new and much better translations that are close to completion. It will be finished before the Vento Aureo anime airs.

from a staff members twitter

C0fkYuGVIAAUxsP.jpg

C0fkYvuUQAAZ7mU.jpg

C0fkYyXUQAExAcR.jpg

Would you smooch a ghost?

> Heck yes > Heck yes
> Heck yes > Heck yes

And no wonder Joseph boned Tomoko. Poor Josuke, though.

Part 5 got a horrible translation, so it's the worst received part in the English speaking fandom, lol. It's very popular in Europe and Japan, where they got proper translations. But yeah, Part 5 and 6 are going to be hype as hell.
Why does Part 5 in particular have bad translation? Are all the other parts fine?

Demoli

Why does Part 5 in particular have bad translation? Are all the other parts fine?

Part 4, 5 and 6 all had horrible translations at first, hell that where duwang comes from.

It's just part 4 and 6 got other fan translations going and 5 didnt until recently.

Also, part 5's bad translation wasnt hilarous like 4, it was mostly a incoherent mess.

cntr

Banned
All the first 6 parts had bad translations, though Part 7 and beyond always had proper ones, I think. (I remember the Part 3 scans literally had coffee stains on them.)

Part 5 is special, though. The first six parts were translated from Chinese, Part 4 was even translated by a Chinese student for his English class, which resulted in the masterpiece known as Duwang. But Part 5 was different, it was translated by an English-speaker who didn't know Chinese.

So while the other parts were obvious since they were written in bad English, Part 5's translator wrote in perfectly normal legible English. So it isn't obvious that he was constantly making shit up. Plus, since Part 3 had cast of stoics, people assumed that Part 5's cast was just as stoic -- when they're actually as goofy as Part 4's, and their personalities were mistranslated away.

It's really dumb.

Jojo wasn't the most popular series in the west prior to the anime, so unfortunately only very amateur fan translators were willing to work on it. After the recent surge in popularity fan translators have been going back to clean up the series. Part 5's last 3 volumes are the only thing left before the entire series has a great translation.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure why the English-speakers didn't catch on with Jojo. Jojo did catch on in Europe, and has a complete official translation in Italian and French. It was popular enough in Europe to get sponsored by Gucci and featured in the Louvre, heh.

Part 4, 5 and 6 all had horrible translations at first, hell that where duwang comes from.

It's just part 4 and 6 got other fan translations going and 5 didnt until recently.

Also, part 5's bad translation wasnt hilarous like 4, it was mostly a incoherent mess.

All the first 6 parts had bad translations, though Part 7 and beyond always had proper ones, I think. (I remember the Part 3 scans literally had coffee stains on them.)

Part 5 is special, though. The first six parts were translated from Chinese, Part 4 was even translated by a Chinese student for his English class, which resulted in the masterpiece known as Duwang. But Part 5 was different, it was translated by an English-speaker who didn't know Chinese.

So while the other parts were obvious since they were written in bad English, Part 5's translator wrote in perfectly normal legible English. So it isn't obvious that he was constantly making shit up. Plus, since Part 3 had cast of stoics, people assumed that Part 5's cast was just as stoic -- when they're actually as goofy as Part 4's, and their personalities were mistranslated away.

It's really dumb.
Oh lord that's both hilarious and upsetting. But then again it probably was harder to get proper translations in the 90s...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Duwang is arguably a better translation than the old Part 5, I'm told- it sometimes manages to get the spirit across despite the hilarious English while a lot of Part 5's is just made up.

cntr

Banned
Also for all we make fun of Duwang, you can tell that the guy who made it really loved Diamond is Unbreakable and tried his best to translate it. Now, yes, his best was terrible, but it does mean that aside from the bad English, Duwang is very accurate and you can get all the plot and most of the details correctly from it.

That's probably why Part 4 was popular even when Duwang was the only available translation. (Did you know that we didn't have a complete retranslation of Part 4 while the 2012 anime was airing?)

Pompadour

How does such a popular manga like JoJo not get good fan-translations?

It wasn't popular at all in the West aside from a few countries in Europe. When I was trying to get Part 4 translated over a decade ago I went to every big fan translation group and offered to do everything else (buy the volumes, scan the pages, edit the scans) if I could get a translator and I didn't get a single bite. Most of them hadn't even heard of Jojo which sounds crazy nowadays.

I guess it was a blessing in disguise because this failure led to Duwang.

Also for all we make fun of Duwang, you can tell that the guy who made it really loved Diamond is Unbreakable and tried his best to translate it. Now, yes, his best was terrible, but it does mean that aside from the bad English, Duwang is very accurate and you can get all the plot and most of the details correctly from it.

That's probably why Part 4 was popular even when Duwang was the only available translation. (Did you know that we didn't have a complete retranslation of Part 4 while the 2012 anime was airing?)

Yeah, Duwang was created because the translator wanted his friend to enjoy the series he was obsessed with and they didn't know Chinese or Japanese. So that fandom probably helped him translate the spirit of the series and the characters better.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the English-speakers didn't catch on with Jojo. Jojo did catch on in Europe, and has a complete official translation in Italian and French. It was popular enough in Europe to get sponsored by Gucci and featured in the Louvre, heh.

I would say that is more Viz's fault then English fans. The only official Jojo the west had was an OVA which while great doesn't capture the spirit of Jojo, a very unbalanced video game, and manga that skipped the first two parts which are integral to series. I can't really blame fans when it really wasn't given a chance to succeed in the west.

Nairume

Banned
It happens. Dragon Ball has some amazingly spotty fan translations, right down to them using emoticons.

I'm pretty sure Saint Seiya and Kochikame don't even have full English fan translations despite being pretty major Jump series.

Part 5's translations, where a character talking about Italian frescoes becomes about Buddhist paintings, or where "Venice" somehow is read as "Vienna" and thus a labeled landscape shot points out that famous Venetian body of water, the Danube River.

Part 5, where you can read two incorrect full page explanations about how a villain's Stand works, the first being from the translator and the second being sent in by a reader and actually (IIRC) is less accurate than the first despite being a supposed correction.

cntr

Banned
I would say that is more Viz's fault then English fans. The only official Jojo the west had was an OVA which while great doesn't capture the spirit of Jojo, a very unbalanced video game, and manga that skipped the first two parts which are integral to series. I can't really blame fans when it really wasn't given a chance to succeed in the west.
Yeah, probably.

Demoli

That videogame absolutely captures the style of the series tho, eeven moreso than jojo asb imo.

Love it to bits and was how i was introduced to it.

Nightbird

Part 5's translations, where a character talking about Italian frescoes becomes about Buddhist paintings, or where "Venice" somehow is read as "Vienna" and thus a labeled landscape shot points out that famous Venetian body of water, the Danube River.

Part 5, where you can read two incorrect full page explanations about how a villain's Stand works, the first being from the translator and the second being sent in by a reader and actually (IIRC) is less accurate than the first despite being a supposed correction.

Wow...

Breads

Banned

This is more true than the meme status implies.

cvIQpzn.png

I forgot the total page count but Jojo is fucking huge and, well, it wasn't very popular in the west until recently. The original OVAs and the capcom cabinets were our (baka gaijin) main exposure to it which wasn't enough to inspire 20,000 pages of quality work.

That videogame absolutely captures the style of the series tho, eeven moreso than jojo asb imo.

Love it to bits and was how i was introduced to it.

My complaint about the spirit of Jojo was for the OVA's. HFTF definitely captures what Jojo is and is a much better game than ASB, but it ain't gonna get millions of people to check out an obscure untranslated comic.

SalvaPot

ippo is 8th>?!
the jojo parts format makes it feel much longer as well as refreshing and interesting

Ippo is kind of like bleach, but done right. Remember a fight in ippo takes like 50 episodes. There is one episode of ippo frame by frame extending his arms with multiple detailed shots in his arms contracting and expanding, signals been send to the brain and all that stuff.

Hellraider

It doesn't hurt as much as the first week without HxH and I'm used to the pauses between parts, but the uncertainty of the next part's adaptation is what's killing me. Just give me a confirmation , David-kun!

Betty

Banned
It doesn't hurt as much as the first week without HxH and I'm used to the pauses between parts, but the uncertainty of the next part's adaptation is what's killing me. Just give me a confirmation , David-kun!

Part 5 will happen

Part 6 will happen

Part 8 will happen

Part 7 is the big question mark

And before anyone says don't talk about future parts I know next to nothing so wrry not.

TDLink

All the parts will happen imo. Even if 7 is the least popular in Japan or w/e, it will still happen. They can't do 8 without it (or wouldn't at least), especially with it far off from even being complete.

It's just a matter of when, not if. Both Part 5 and 6 will be fully animated by 2020 at the latest I think. Part 8 won't be done by then, so then they'll do Part 7...and by time that is done Part 8 -will- have completed its manga run and they can start that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Part 5 will happen

Part 6 will happen

Part 8 will happen

Part 7 is the big question mark

And before anyone says don't talk about future parts I know next to nothing so wrry not.

Why the hell would Part 8 be more likely than Part 7? Both Part 7 and 8 are up in the air IMO.

Biggest issue with Part 7 is that it needs roughly 70-80 episodes, and I don't know if they could sell it.

cntr

Banned
Why is Part 7 the big question mark, but Part 8 is fine?
They're making a joke, lol.

Part 7 and 8 are more questionable since the art quality jumps up from Araki's progression/the switch to monthly chapters, and they're really long. Part 7 would require at least 75 episodes to adapt.

TDLink

There are plenty of anime as long or longer than 70-80 episodes. Part 7 may take a few years to complete but I don't see the problem with that. Again, they'd otherwise be out of Jojo and need the time for Part 8's manga to complete anyways.

Just because the manga wasn't super popular in Japan doesn't mean the anime wouldn't take off too. Jojo is a lot more popular in general now thanks to the anime than when SBR was running.

Betty

Banned
Why the hell would Part 8 be more likely than Part 7? Both Part 7 and 8 are up in the air IMO.

Biggest issue with Part 7 is that it needs roughly 70-80 episodes, and I don't know if they could sell it.

Part 7 is harder to draw, has a setting that might not be as popular and is very long

In comparison part 8 is much easier to draw and is a lot more popular in Japan.

This is anecdotal so I might be wrong I haven't actually read part 8 just from what I've heard.

Part 7 is ridiculously long, and part 6 is a pretty good stopping point.

That being said so was part 4 but here we are.

Whoops, didnt see the second question, disregard.

I mean, Part 8 will almost certainly end up in the ballpark of 7 in terms of length, so if length were an issue it'd put an adaptation of that part in jeopardy too.

Voror

It may be worth noting that the very first opening went from Part 6 to Part 1. Still I really hope they do part 7 and 8. I'm currently reading part 5, but what I've heard of Part 7 especially sounds really cool.

Top Bottom