• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

SalvaPot

It may be worth noting that the very first opening went from Part 6 to Part 1, which makes sense given what happens in Part 6. Still I really hope they do part 7 and 8. I'm currently reading part 5, but what I've heard of Part 7 especially sounds really cool.

I am currently reading Part 7 after blowing through part 5 and 6.

I was not ready. JoJo is the gift that keeps on giving.

TDLink

Part 7 is amazing anyways so I don't know why so many here seem to not even want that part to be animated. I can understand being skeptical because it wasn't popular in its manga run...but that's really the only reason to think that way. The chances of it happening are so much more likely.

It may be worth noting that the very first opening went from Part 6 to Part 1, which makes sense given what happens in Part 6. Still I really hope they do part 7 and 8. I'm currently reading part 5, but what I've heard of Part 7 especially sounds really cool.

What do you mean?

SalvaPot

Part 7 is amazing anyways so I don't know why so many here seem to not even want that part to be animated. I can understand being skeptical because it wasn't popular in its manga run...but that's really the only reason to think that way. The chances of it happening are so much more likely.

What do you mean?

The first few seconds of the opening:
tumblr_n63sm7838C1r6mrcio1_500.gif

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
They're making a joke, lol.

Part 7 and 8 are more questionable since the art quality jumps up from Araki's progression/the switch to monthly chapters, and they're really long. Part 7 would require at least 75 episodes to adapt.
Oh wait. I thought "going monthly" meant just the standard chapter every month. Instead, it's like the equivalent of 3-4 weekly chapters per month? That sounds amazing.

Erigu

It was popular enough in Europe to get sponsored by Gucci and featured in the Louvre, heh.
JoJo was hardly popular in France back when Araki had his Louvre exhibition though.

This is more true than the meme status implies.
cvIQpzn.png
Although the original doesn't say anything about France, but actually mentions a vaguer "Europe". And if we're thinking this is about Araki's work at the time, that would really stand for Italy more specifically. No French translations at all, back then.

Oh wait. I thought "going monthly" meant just the standard chapter every month. Instead, it's like the equivalent of 3-4 weekly chapters per month?
More like two / two and a half.

That sounds amazing.
It's not really. Mostly means a ridiculous number of huge or superfluous panels and double-page spreads. Araki doesn't say a lot more in those longer, monthly episodes than he did in the weekly ones.

It may be worth noting that the very first opening went from Part 6 to Part 1, which makes sense given what happens in Part 6.

The Part 1 OP also had Jonathan's eyes get firey like Johnny's would in Part 7, so they weren't deliberately trying to ignore that part.

lordmrw

JoJo was hardly popular in France back when Araki had his Louvre exhibition though.

Although the original doesn't say anything about France, but actually mentions a vaguer "Europe". And if we're thinking this is about Araki's work at the time, that would really stand for Italy more specifically. No French translations at all, back then.

More like two / two and a half.

It's not really. Mostly means a ridiculous number of huge or superfluous panels and double-page spreads. Araki doesn't say a lot more in those longer, monthly episodes than he did in the weekly ones.

after close to 30 years of doing weekly manga I don't blame him for going to the monthly format just to have some breathing room.

cntr

Banned
20 years, but yeah.

Edit: And for what it's worth, most of us think those "superfluous" panels are pretty great and not superfluous at all. It's personal preference, of course, so some people don't like it, but form your own opinions.

after close to 30 years of doing weekly manga I don't blame him for going to the monthly format just to have some breathing room.

I think the author of Bleach once said he had about 3-4 hours per week of free time (not including eating, regular sleep schedule, etc.) when he was doing a weekly release.

But Araki doesn't need sleep since he's a vampire so who knows how he does it

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a valid question? How do you even get better with a stand? Is it like a muscle that gets stronger the more you use it?

Practicing seems to help sometimes, as Jotaro's lack of practice decreased how long he was able to move within the frozen time while Dio was able to stop time for longer intervals after repeatedly using za warudo. It seems like the best method of getting better with a Stand is trying to be as creative as possible with its abilities.

cntr

Banned
Here's a valid question? How do you even get better with a stand? Is it like a muscle that gets stronger the more you use it?
It isn't really common to be able to improve your Stand by practice (over being inventive).
Jotaro/Dio's the only one I can think of, tbh.

Time stop seems to screw around with your body, especially your heart, which is the primary limitation for Jotaro, which is why his time stop is a lot shorter and slower to improve than Dio's.

There's a Stand stat just fo that

On the stand stat pages, Development Potential is listed. Star Platinum in SDC (retroactively, since the stats started being listed in Part 5) has a DP of A, which means Jotaro doesn't know something crucial about SP. SP: The World has a DP of C, meaning Jotaro has a better grasp of using it but hasn't completely mastered it. If a Stand is rank E in DP, then it's full capabilities are known to the user.

Breads

Banned
20 years, but yeah.

Edit: And for what it's worth, most of us think those "superfluous" panels are pretty great and not superfluous at all. It's personal preference, of course, so some people don't like it, but form your own opinions.

Not only do I think it's great but I think the story is told better in 30-40 page chunks.

Stands are exponentially more powerful than their users, but they're still reflections of their users. The stronger the user, the more powerful the Stand. The parallels with Jonathan and Joseph's Ripple are a good comparison: Joseph was able to naturally utilize Ripple from an early age, but without practice or refinement, it lacked the same punch that Jonathan's did at his peak.

The same logic applies to Stands. The more you use a muscle, the more you can get out of it. Particular abilities, especially those linked to the passage of time, appear to take a lot out of their users.

I definitely didn't notice this before, but that's pretty neat. I don't think it means anything one way or the other though.

The song is "The Destiny of His Blood". I always figured that opening bit was just showing how his legacy grew, despite Dio's attempts to end it with himself and George. I never read it as "the anime ends with Stone Ocean". If it makes money, DavePro will keep making it.

Buckle

I was not expecting to like Rohan as much as I did when they brought him back and made him more than villain of the week but he really earned his place as the enjoyably smug asshole in Joesuke's supporting cast.

I want to see a Jojo with that personality now.

Kenai

I'm kinda passing the wait by re-watching the entire series with the bf who's only read a bit of the manga. We just started Part 2 today and he went "what even is this?" when Joseph pulled out the Tommy Gun on Straits while I laughed uncontrollably at this combined with his facial expression.

Hopefully by the time we are done there will be news and a date for Part 5.

zoku88

It isn't really common to be able to improve your Stand by practice (over being inventive).
Jotaro/Dio's the only one I can think of, tbh.

Time stop seems to screw around with your body, especially your heart, which is the primary limitation for Jotaro, which is why his time stop is a lot shorter and slower to improve than Dio's.

Didn't Josuke and Red Hot Chilli Pepper both said that they had improved since their first meeting. (speed wise, I think) I thought I remembered some dialogue like that. And I think I also remember RHCP saying that after the brief fight with Crazy Diamond, he would wait a bit longer before trying to fight Jotaro.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it aim't cool. Hope it gets cleaned up sometime.

Didn't Josuke and Red Hot Chilli Pepper both said that they had improved since their first meeting. (speed wise, I think) I thought I remembered some dialogue like that. And I think I also remember RHCP saying that after the brief fight with Crazy Diamond, he would wait a bit longer before trying to fight Jotaro.
Yeah, but that's different from the way Jotaro and Dio's time stop works. Stands like RHCP and Crazy Diamond got better by being used better, like just reacting faster or healing things faster. So it's just Akira and Josuke getting used to using their stands in battle, the stands or their powers haven't really changed. Most stands work like that.

Time stop is different, because the power itself gets better with practice.

The problem is that there is no middle ground, the only place where you can post spoilers is the manga thread, which is pretty much spoilertag free. Really wish there was a thread to discuss JoJo up to part 4, with manga spoilers being a bit more allowed in tags.
But if that happened you'd have like 3 threads total which some may find too many

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I've thought about that too. There isn't really a practical solution.

Edit: Well, the actual problem is that some people take a mention of spoilers as a prompt to start talking about major spoilers and take over the thread. And for some reason never post in the manga thread, even if they're effectively caught up? So the solution is to get them to stop. But I dunno how we'd fix that.

jett

D-Member
The problem is that there is no middle ground, the only place where you can post spoilers is the manga thread, which is pretty much spoilertag free. Really wish there was a thread to discuss JoJo up to part 4, with manga spoilers being a bit more allowed in tags.
But if that happened you'd have like 3 threads total which some may find too many

This thread is anime-only, why is that so hard to grasp for some of you? Go to the manga thread.

cntr

Banned
tbh, I wish the mods would clean up the thread when stuff like this happens, but that'd probably be too much effort for just one thread.

Top Bottom