• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Skrams

It's also good cause it seems like Josuke won't just be able to steam roll the early stand battles like Jotaro did. I don't think Jotaro took any major damage till he got to the sword stand if I'm not mistaken
probably am
Well, he was kinda on the ropes that one time in the water. Except then STAR FINGER.

It wasn't very good excluding a few fights (Death 13 and Steely Dan come to mind), and maybe the whole orangutan creepy shit made your brain delete the first half.
I actually found the perverted Orangutan hilarious. I just felt nothing remarkable happened outside of yeah Death 13, Kakyoins best defining moment and Steely Dan, which was the thing that got me into Jojo to begin with. Seeing Tippers Bizzare Adventure on Youtube also helped. I liked the second half of Part 3 way more than the first half.

Just found this one

c23.gif

Why did they turn him from blonde to grey?

Also this episode was good. And I echo the opinion of this art style being way better.

Squishy3

I mean while not exactly small the companies doing these changes I'm sure would rather not have the chance of being sued at all for the extremely blatant names. A US company distributing these aren't necessarily explicitly at risk, but if you have one blatantly obvious Stand or character named after a band (Speedwagon works as an example they can easily get around because he's never explicitly called REO Speedwagon, only ever by his full name... Robert Edward O. Speedwagon, which just happens to be the initials REO Speedwagon. This is easily identifiable as an homage versus just straight up calling a character a name of a band or a song.)

I also don't think they changed Forever in Part 3, which is a general enough term that it wouldn't be clear it's referring to the Wu-Tang Clan, but I doubt they care even if they do know. But from here on out it's all explicitly band names and album names and song names for stuff. There's no wiggle room. All it would take is one record label to sue (and it's far easier for them to sue an American company or branch like Crunchyroll, Viz and Namco Bandai's US division.) and then the floodgates are open once stuff like "Hey, these companies are using your guys' names without your permission!" and all the litigation happy companies step out of the wood work.

They wouldn't be able to easily reach Shueisha/Araki in Japan because of the time investment, language barrier, etc.(as well as needing to work within the confines of Japanese copyright law.) Whoever cares cares and already knows, who gives a fuck about the subs?

To this day the only thing that ever got changed in Jojo's in Japan because of outside influence was the OVA adaptation depicting Dio reading the Qur'an.

I mean while not exactly small the companies doing these changes I'm sure would rather not have the chance of being sued at all for the extremely blatant names. A US company distributing these aren't necessarily explicitly at risk, but if you have one blatantly obvious Stand or character named after a band (Speedwagon works as an example they can easily get around because he's never explicitly called REO Speedwagon, only ever by his full name... Robert Edward O. Speedwagon, which just happens to be the initials REO Speedwagon. This is easily identifiable as an homage versus just straight up calling a character a name of a band or a song.)

I also don't think they changed Forever in Part 3, which is a general enough term that it wouldn't be clear it's referring to the Wu-Tang Clan, but I doubt they care even if they do know. But from here on out it's all explicitly band names and album names and song names for stuff. There's no wiggle room. All it would take is one record label to sue (and it's far easier for them to sue an American company or branch like Crunchyroll, Viz and Namco Bandai's US division.) and then the floodgates are open once stuff like "Hey, these companies are using your guys' names without your permission!" and all the litigation happy companies step out of the wood work.

They wouldn't be able to easily reach Shueisha/Araki in Japan because of the time investment, language barrier, etc.(as well as needing to work within the confines of Japanese copyright law.) Whoever cares cares and already knows, who gives a fuck about the subs?

To this day the only thing that ever got changed in Jojo's in Japan because of outside influence was the OVA adaptation depicting Dio reading the Qur'an.
Even if they did call Araki they'd just be a blinking light on his faithful answering machine.

Jaxec

There are no canon colors in JoJo. That's something I really like about the series. Though I do wonder how Jotaro would've looked like with a blue uniform like in the ovas.

These dumb name changes in the subtitles are idiotic and nonsensical, when the actors are saying the real names anyway.
again the subs change the cool names, while the voice actors say the actual thing

"Worst Company"

shakes head

I don't get why people think this.

Someone who knew nothing of Japanese language or the original Stand names could easily really think that those are just actual translations. "Kureishi Daiamondo" certainly has Diamond. But you're going to sit there and tell me someone with 0 Japanese knowledge would just magically know "Kureishi" = crazy and not just a Japanese word that roughly translates to "shining"?

Squishy3

again the subs change the cool names, while the voice actors say the actual thing

"Worst Company"

shakes head
okay but who does this actually affect. is the same song and dance going to have to happen again when eyes of heaven comes out in june and bandai namco has the names changed when the voice actors all say them?

it's a dead horse and it will continue to be a dead horse if it continues to be brought up for every single instance where it occurs. the people who do care about the changes already know and the people who don't can look it up, be told by a friend or remain willfully ignorant.

Madao

i never saw that type of Stand coming. even with all the spoilers from the recent games, a lot is still never shown so the actual story has a lot surprises.

Crocodile

I legit did not expect a toy soldier stand - creative :) A lot of shonen yelling in this episode and the older bro was kind of an idiot for actually showing up in the room considering his Stand could finish off the job from a long distance. Once it became clear Koichi could manifest a stand, it makes sense to finish off Josuke from afar then try to bully Koichi. Then again, how would any shonen hero win if the villains weren't idiots :p Speaking of idiot brothers, WOW is the Okuyasu an idiot. I mean damn :p

I don't get why people think this.

Someone who knew nothing of Japanese language or the original Stand names could easily really think that those are just actual translations. "Kureishi Daiamondo" certainly has Diamond. But you're going to sit there and tell me someone with 0 Japanese knowledge would just magically know "Kureishi" = crazy and not just a Japanese word that roughly translates to "shining"?

I think most people can recognize English being spoken even through a thick Japanese accent. That being said, I would agree with others that the number of people who really care about this are next to zero.

Why did they turn him from blonde to grey?

Also this episode was good. And I echo the opinion of this art style being way better.

when araki designs his characters he never designs them with a colour pallet, when it came to covers he would just colour each character with what ever he felt they looked good in

so jojo character don't have one set colour pallet and when it came people colouring in the manga or the anime people have different options on what colour looks best

Madao

when araki designs his characters he never designs them with a colour pallet, when it came to covers he would just colour each character with what ever he felt they looked good in

so jojo character don't have one set colour pallet and when it came people colouring in the manga or the anime people have different options on what colour looks best

it's pretty apparent with the newest games since the default colors are completely different for every character. at least EoH seems to be defaulting to their anime colors for those that already have anime appearances.
for me it's especially weird since ASB's default colors were the colors i associated most of them initially and then suddendly everyone is different color.

Squishy3

yeah and the figures have different variants where there's Araki specified colors and then some aren't.

Not Araki specified:

FIG-IPN-2621.jpg

Araki specified:

FIGURE-015747.jpg

okay but who does this actually affect. is the same song and dance going to have to happen again when eyes of heaven comes out in june and bandai namco has the names changed when the voice actors all say them?

it's a dead horse and it will continue to be a dead horse if it continues to be brought up for every single instance where it occurs. the people who do care about the changes already know and the people who don't can look it up, be told by a friend or remain willfully ignorant.

okay dokey

I'm curious, but also frightened. So far there's been a boat, a puppet, car, sword, something that looks like a mosquito, a fucking book. Is there a refrigerator stand?

There seriously comes a point in this series where you can repeat the stand's power to yourself over and over and still not comprehend how someone came up with some of this stuff. As a result some of the later fights could be a real bitch to comprehend with shitty scans.

There seriously comes a point in this series where you can repeat the stand's power to yourself over and over and still not comprehend how someone came up with some of this stuff. As a result some of the later fights could be a real bitch to comprehend with shitty scans.
I might have had that reaction to Vanilla Ice.

There's a stand from like 1998 that still to date no one knows how the fuck it works or makes any sense. There are some pretty dank memes about it so when we finally get to it it will be great.
Well that stands part 5, so it might be a while if at all. And it's less weird and more poorly explained imo.

There's a stand from like 1998 that still to date no one knows how the fuck it works or makes any sense. There are some pretty dank memes about it so when we finally get to it it will be great.

Every once in awhile someone tries to explain it a bit more in-depth, and it just sounds like the rants of a madman.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man today's episode was so fun. I always did enjoy this fight in the manga, but man the anime did this fight so much justice. It's far better than it ever was in the manga. So many good shots.

nynt9

I think the anime has a good shot at explaining how some of the more confusing stands operate because they get to animate things. I never had problems understanding The Hand but the way the anime shows it is just so simple. It beats like 5 pages of explanations with a 5 second animation.

Top Bottom