• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Zocano

That's not what "filler" means though.

Well aware but when it feels like so, it's still as equally unentertaining. Doesn't mean there weren't cool/funny moments like the D'arby fights and the magnetism stand and anything to do with Joseph but as a whole Part 3 just draaaaaags.

Siegcram

Well aware but when it feels like so, it's still as equally unentertaining. Doesn't mean there weren't cool/funny moments like the D'arby fights and the magnetism stand and anything to do with Joseph but as a whole Part 3 just draaaaaags.
Sure, it has pretty shit pacing in some parts, but overall it's probably the most integral part plot-wise.

Fandangox

They burn the body away with sunlight but he's "defeated" cause Jotaro/Star Platinum punches The World in the shin and ~magic~ causes Dio to explode.

In the shin? I haven't seen the anime adaption since it came out, but doesn't he hit the world in the knee? The world breaks, and that makes Dio's head explode since that's the only part of Dio that's not Johnathan's body, and thus connected to the stand, I think.

Either way, not really that much of a fan of part 3 except anything with Joseph, most of Polnareff, and Hol Horse. Its just all over the place quality-wise.

Part 4 which I think is the second best, has a weak start imo, but shit gets really going when Red Hot Chilly Peppers actually enters the picture. The adaption has been better at making it more exciting though.

Zocano

Part 4 which I think is the second best, has a weak start imo, but shit gets really going when Red Hot Chilly Peppers actually enters the picture. The adaption has been better at making it more exciting though.

I keep hearing Part 4 is great and I'm liking what has released so far so I'm cautiously optimistic.

edit: And in the animation it always looked like the shin to me (maybe it's upper thigh) but it's definitely not right on the knee.

Fandangox

I keep hearing Part 4 is great and I'm liking what has released so far so I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's less "focused" since its kind of like a slice-of-life with stand shenanigans, its not until halfway that things start to get more complicated. Although I think that worked out pretty well in the manga.

The enemies are like in part 3 in that there's a bunch of stand users causing trouble, but since most are not tied to a "boss" antagonist everyone has their own reasons for what they are doing, which makes them far more interesting than the minion enemies from part 3.

Edit: rewatched, he hits him in the leg, but not the knee. Also I generally like part 3's artstyle, but hate how shoulders look like when people are wearing clothes lol, they just look so odd.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now that I think about it, vampires indestructible without sun/UV/ripple right? Bullets didn't work on Dio and machine gun and grenades didn't work on Straights.

...and to this day I still don't get Straight's purpose.

TheOGB

Banned
I actually shed a few tears at that backstory, wow. I mean, Keicho's still a prick, and his dad was an abusive shit, but it was just a sad series of events that led to that spiral. And Oyakusu getting mistreated throughout it all. :(

Gotta say though, that whole first half was executed very well, and was effective at endearing Okuyasu to me immediately, if nothing else. [Red Hot] Chili Pepper's effects looked pretty sweet, so next episode should be cool. Solid episode.

Exact details aside, Persona has pretty much followed Jojo in structure.
.....Ohhhhhhh. That certainly shines an interesting light...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I could've sworn Dio only died because of the sunlight though? Granted, it's been a while since I read part 3

They burn the body away with sunlight but he's "defeated" cause Jotaro/Star Platinum punches The World in the shin and ~magic~ causes Dio to explode.
Jotaro had already broken Dio's leg in that same spot and was intending to keep hitting that weak point from them on. And since a damage to a stand is reflected to the user and vice versa, that part of The World's leg was also its weak spot. By the end of the battle, both Dio's and Jotaro's stands were so worn out and damaged that basically any good attack was going to take them out. This is why Star Platinum's hand starts breaking when he punches The World's leg. But The World was worse off in that exchange since Jotaro purposely hit its weak point. Therefore, the entirety of The World, Dio's body, and most importantly, Dio's head broke (as opposed to only Jotaro's hand). I don't think Dio could fix his head at that point, but there was always the chance that one of his minions could resurrect him or get him a new body to take over, so they had to erase him for good via sunlight. But since Joseph wasn't taken over by Dio's blood, chances are just as good that Dio was already dead forever and the sunlight just erased an empty shell. Either way, he wasn't killed by magic or sunlight.

Zocano

Jotaro had already broken Dio's leg in that same spot and was intending to keep hitting that weak point from them on. And since a damage to a stand is reflected to the user and vice versa, that part of The World's leg was also its weak spot. By the end of the battle, both Dio's and Jotaro's stands were so worn out and damaged that basically any good attack was going to take them out. This is why Star Platinum's hand starts breaking when he punches The World's leg. But The World was worse off in that exchange since Jotaro purposely hit its weak point. Therefore, the entirety of The World, Dio's body, and most importantly, Dio's head broke (as opposed to only Jotaro's hand). I don't think Dio could fix his head at that point, but there was always the chance that one of his minions could resurrect him or get him a new body to take over, so they had to erase him for good via sunlight. But since Joseph wasn't taken over by Dio's blood, chances are just as good that Dio was already dead forever and the sunlight just erased an empty shell. Either way, he wasn't killed by magic or sunlight.

I guess I should have made myself clearer.

I know *why* the punch killed The World/Dio. And I didn't need an explanation for why it does.

It's the fact that Dio loses from a punch to the shin after already being horrendously beaten in constantly and then to just vampire himself back together shortly after. Oh except this time his whole body explodes instead of just a hole in his chest or y'know, a giant gaping whole in his head. This was also immediately after having healed himself practically to full with Joseph's dead body.

It's the fact that Dio is built up immensely the whole series only to go out via silly punch to the shin. It's the fact that the silly punch to the shin was had on even footing and not because Jotaro out manuevered Dio somehow. Yes, I know that Jotaro did his 11 seconds of time shit to throw off Dio but that's not why he won. It's not like he used that time to spring the winning blow on Dio, he just uses it to gloat and then decides to let Dio throw a kick at him while throwing out his own punch. It's a dumb sequence of events that doesn't feel climactic at all. Especially considering Dio's vampire powers regenerate him constantly and it's never once hinted that that somehow wears him down at all and that he's shown to be pretty much at full fighting strength just a bit prior.

It's the fact that this is following up 2 far far better villain defeats that felt more "earned" in every respect.

So thanks for the explanation but no thanks. It wasn't necessary and I didn't feel like I needed to add an extra line of "no but really I know *why* he was beat by a punch". It's a really milquetoast execution and closing off a villain that deserved far more than that.

Man the build up for Dio in part 1 is so damn good and part 1 ends really damn well. Part 3 was such a fucking bummer end for Dio.

Zocano

In what world is Joseph's asspull of the century "earned"?

It works *because* it's an asspull. It's Joseph afterall.

And the Stone of Aja thing is hinted at when it's introduced.

Also because the power level necessary to "beat" Cars is equally fitting of Cars' crazy invincibility by the end.

Also because the first opening plays over the whole thing.

I don't care much for Cars at all but everything about that finale is so damn perfectly executed.

Siegcram

It's also introduced that stopping time is supremely exhausting, so I don't see why you discount it so easily.

DIO lost because of his over-reliance on The World and by extension his ego. Perfectly in line for a colossal douchebag.
And I'd argue Jotaro showed just as much ingenuity as Joseph during the final confrontation.

Zocano

It's also introduced that stopping time is supremely exhausting, so I don't see why you discount it so easily.

I don't recall this but seeing as how Dio spams the ever loving shit out of it without ever *ever* showing any signs of stress, the fact that it was brought up seems contradictory to what is shown.

DIO lost because of his over-reliance on The World and by extension his ego. Perfectly in line for a colossal douchebag.

I don't see how using his stand a bunch when the only method of combat anyone ever employed in this part was via stands. And Hamon was brought up for maybe 30 seconds to be outright dismissed.

It's disappointing that he never employed any of his vampire powers either. Good bye, eye lasers.

And I'd argue Jotaro showed just as much ingenuity as Joseph during the final confrontation.

And you're not reading what I'm saying clearly enough. I never once said Jotaro doesn't employ ingenuity. I even mention that that actually does happen. But it's specifically that the supposed climactic finish is just a punch/kick against each other that just happens to go in Jotaro's favor. There's no sign of Dio somehow being exhausted. Everytime he blood-sucked someone he was pretty much back at full-strength without a sweat and that was never ever questioned.

Eumi

Sooo if Dio, Joseph and Holly all have a version of Hermitto Purpuru, do Jotaro and Josuke have it too?

We don't really know what Holly's stand was, but I always assumed Joseph and Jonathan got similar stands because they're both ripple users. An extra chapter that came out alongside part 7 (no spoilers for that part btw) says that the ripple and stands use the same energy as a basis (alongside vampirism too, apparently) and since Hermit conducts ripple it's possible all ripple users would get similar stands.

Or Araki fucked up and wanted Dio to have every stand power, decided later that Time Stop was better after showing him using hermit, saying its Jonathan's stand is just him covering his ass and he just forgot the ripple even existed after part 3, we may never know.

cntr

Banned
I agree with Zocano.

Part 2's ending is a series of absurd escalation, from Ultimate Kars, to Joseph flying away, to PIRANHAS, to Stroheim out of nowhere, and then...it relaxes the pace for a moment when it seems Kars was defeated, before going back in with Kars cutting off Joseph's aim, pulling out super hamon, and then being blasted off into space, all while SONO CHI NO SADAME plays.

Part 3 has the same structure, when Dio and Jotaro fight, pulling out time stop, knives, Polnareff, flight, tricks, power up with Joseph, and then ROAD ROLLA DA, when it relaxes by Jotaro cornering Dio. That's followed up with...Dio blinding Jotaro with blood and Star Platinum breaking The World with a knee punch.

It makes sense, sure, but narratively it's unsatisfying. It's low-key when it shouldn't have been.

NeonZ

I think DIO's defeat would make more sense if they had shown that Stand damage couldn't be regenerated with Vampire abilities, and had any precedent of Stands having a damage limit, where they just explode even taking only localized damage. As it stands, the ending of the battle just seems random.

I guess one could point to Joseph's eruption being "random" too, but that's different. The narrative itself acknowledges that it was a lucky strike and uses it, but the eruption itself working doesn't need any after the fact explanation. With Part 3's climax, it just happens and the issues people generally complain about don't even seem to be brought up by the narrative.

dani_dc

I agree with Zocano.

Part 2's ending is a series of absurd escalation, from Ultimate Kars, to Joseph flying away, to PIRANHAS, to Stroheim out of nowhere, and then...it relaxes the pace for a moment when it seems Kars was defeated, before going back in with Kars cutting off Joseph's aim, pulling out super hamon, and then being blasted off into space, all while SONO CHI NO SADAME plays.

Part 3 has the same structure, when Dio and Jotaro fight, pulling out time stop, knives, Polnareff, flight, tricks, power up with Joseph, and then ROAD ROLLA DA, when it relaxes by Jotaro cornering Dio. That's followed up with...Dio blinding Jotaro with blood and Star Platinum breaking The World with a knee punch.

It makes sense, sure, but narratively it's unsatisfying. It's low-key when it shouldn't have been.

Low-key is exactly how it came off, particularly since it came off after the sequence where Jotaro stopped time which was clearly the high point of the fight.
Araki probably wanted a "western duel to finish off the fight" (Jotaro was based on Clint Eastwood after all) but completely missed the execution, the dual exchange didn't work, and DIO taking a few seconds to get hurt surely didn't help.

The weakest remix by far, I suppose the song doesn't lend itself very well for this particular remix.

Kthulhu

I agree with Zocano.

I felt completely satisfied with how part 3 ended.

Keep in mind this is Jojo and not Gurren Lagann.

Both part one and two end on similar notes, hell in part one ends with Jonathan's death.

I don't know how you guys came to the conclusion that part 3's ending was unsatisfying, but part 1 and 2 were fine.

I felt completely satisfied with how part 3 ended.

Keep in mind this is Jojo and not Gurren Lagann.

Both part one and two end on similar notes, hell in part one ends with Jonathan's death.

I don't know how you guys came to the conclusion that part 3's ending was unsatisfying, but part 1 and 2 were fine.
I think everybody just feels DIO sama deserved a grander death.

Lunar15

I always felt Araki wanted DIO to die like a chump.

That's kind of how Araki played things in Stardust Crusaders, and I felt it worked. The stand user would pretty much go crazy and things would look absolutely impossible, but once the trick was figured out or they figured out some way around it, the enemy was taken out like it was no big deal at all.

I think it works.

NEO0MJ

DIO could've healed himself, but chose to exacerbate his injury to blind Jotaro. He went out an overconfident chump, same as always.

Dio was like a Dark Souls player who rather than heal himself blindly rushed to a boss when he saw that it could die with one or two more hits and got knocked out instead.

VxzPAsE.jpg

Astral

Let's be real. Without the time stop, Dio didn't have shit on Jotaro. Jotaro is just that strong. I think Araki even said in one chapter (not sure what part) that Star Platinum: The World is one of the most powerful Stands there is despite it having one of the more simple abilities. I imagine it's just incredibly strong when it comes to raw power.

Let's be real. Without the time stop, Dio didn't have shit on Jotaro. Jotaro is just that strong. I think Araki even said in one chapter (not sure what part) that Star Platinum: The World is one of the most powerful Stands there is despite it having one of the more simple abilities. I imagine it's just incredibly strong when it comes to raw power.
I guess that's what DIO gets for having a Stand that fights on land wearing fucking scuba gear.

Welfare

Yeah, Star Platinum was overpowering The World during their fight, and SP: The World is just a better The World. DIO was just cocky and thought he was the best, but really the only advantage he had was the ability to improve his time stop past 5 seconds.

I think that part was Part 6.

What did you expect to happen?

99% of Jojo characters die or get defeted by an ass pull.

I don't understand why anyone expected DIO to be any different.

Lol

Exactly this. Every jojo villain minus one is op as hell and could only lose by an ass pull. The bloodline of Joseph joestar who invented ass pulling will always resort to this.

PK Gaming

It makes sense on a thematic level as well. DIO didn't earn of his powers, whereas Jotaro went through a long ass journey and came out stronger because of it. No matter how much DIO propped himself up, he was still the same street thug he was in the past.

Kthulhu

It makes sense on a thematic level as well. DIO didn't earn of his powers, whereas Jotaro went through a long ass journey and came out stronger because of it. No matter how much DIO propped himself up, he was still the same street thug he was in the past.

I disagree.

Dio sacrificed his humanity in order to become a vampire, he risked his life by getting shot by the golden arrow, and built an entire army of vampires and later stand users, all so he could take over the world.

Plus all the crazy shit that hasn't shown up yet.

dani_dc

I disagree.

Dio sacrificed his humanity in order to become a vampire, he risked his life by getting shot by the golden arrow, and built an entire army of vampires and later stand users, all so he could take over the world.

If anything, Jotaro was the one that didn't earn his powers, he got lucky by having a ridiculously powerful Stand without putting any effort into it.
DIO had to go through a lot of effort to find out and develop his time stopping abilities, Jotaro did it within half an hour after finding out about this ability from DIO.

PK Gaming

I disagree.

He lucked his way into becoming a vampire and everything he has, he stole off the backs of others.

That's why when he literally goes Super Saiyan in DIO'S WORLD, he still gets his ass beat by Jotaro, because no matter what he does, he'll never match up to him in a fight. DIO's "strength" is the equivalent of picking the best character in a fighting game and bodying scrubs, but crumpling in the face of someone who's actually good.

When you break it down, he's ultimately a poser attempting to be "great."

dani_dc

He lucked his way into becoming a vampire and everything he has, he stole off the backs of others.

That's why when he literally goes Super Saiyan in DIO'S WORLD, he still gets his ass beat by Jotaro, because no matter what he does, he'll never match up to him in a fight. DIO's "strength" is the equivalent of picking the best character in a fighting game and bodying scrubs, but crumpling in the face of someone who's actually good.

When you break it down, he's ultimately a poser attempting to be "great."

Stealing involves effort, DIO can be blamed to a lot of things but lack of effort was not one of them. He's arrogant and he believes to be above others but he worked his way up, including murdering his father, going to law school, murdering his step father, stealing Jonathan body and training to gain time stopping power.

Jotaro is the one that woke up one day with powerful stand and walked his way punching people with his overpowered Stand, he's the equivalent of an overpowered character in a fighting game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd argue Dio got lucky that Johnathan was sentimental about him. If he wasn't he'd be rippled up as a head.

It does make me wonder if vampire Dio is better than vampire Straights, or if Straights is better.

Pinewood

I'd argue Dio got lucky that Johnathan was sentimental about him. If he wasn't he'd be rippled up as a head.

It does make me wonder if vampire Dio is better than vampire Straights, or if Straights is better.
Better as in more powerful? Id go with Dio just because he was that much more cocky

cntr

Banned
Keicho mentions in episode 3 Dio's belief that the Stands of evil people are stronger. I assume the same applies to vampires and zombies, like Tarkus and Bruford vs. every other zombie.

So Dio is "more powerful", since Straizo had weird motivations.

Top Bottom