• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Surprised to see them cram 5 chapters down into a single episode, and it works sooo well!
However, Tamami doesn't go from swole to Krillin sized, 0/10
I loved that so much in the manga :(

Blues1990

Surprised to see them cram 5 chapters down into a single episode, and it works sooo well!

I seriously thought that was more of a continuity error, more than anything. It's a hilarious error, don't get me wrong.

Yup.

Edit: Incidentally, Part 4's "mundane" setting means most characters are random eccentric people, not assassins. So Part 4 stands reflect personal things compared to the other parts.

The Hand has blinkers on his face because Okuyasu is dumb, The Lock makes people feel guilty because Tamami is a conman, Koichi's stand grows with him.
Is this why Koichi's stand in the opening doesn't look like Cell?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
but it does look like cell, doesn't it
It looks more like the creatures from M.C. Escher's House of Stairs:

70NLxB4.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
In the OP Koichi's stand has long hair and looks like a woman though, unless I saw that part of the OP completely wrong.

Going by the rest of the OP - you can see a woman with long flowing hair - and what that particular section of the OP looks like for the other characters, I don't think it's supposed to be his stand. It's definitely a woman, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was said woman with long hair.

Like Diesel?

Man I can't look away at the way that woman's butt is drawn in the middle panel. It looks like a artist interpretation of a bent down butt if the artist was a horny teenager who never saw a real human butt before.

I seriously thought that was more of a continuity error, more than anything. It's a hilarious error, don't get me wrong.

Araki did that to another enemy turned comic relief jobber character later on Part 4. I think it was intentional but would look silly animated.

Tunahead

Going by the rest of the OP - you can see a woman with long flowing hair - and what that particular section of the OP looks like for the other characters, I don't think it's supposed to be his stand. It's definitely a woman, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was said woman with long hair.

Yeah the shadows in that section of the OP definitely aren't meant to be Stands. Okuyasu's shadow shows Keicho, who I'm like 105% sure isn't The Hand.

Mista Koo

Though I guess every Jojo part after part 1 has some tight friendships.
Jonathan had Dio *smirks*

In the OP Koichi's stand has long hair and looks like a woman though, unless I saw that part of the OP completely wrong.
It's not really a spoiler, but I was spoiled on it by the goanimate opening
she's the schoolgirl who appears later in the opening.
Also thanks to this thread I know that
all these random characters in the opening are stand users.

Andrew J.

So there are more stand users in Part 4 than in Part 3? Are the contracts from Darker than Black a rip off of stands?

Probably! The really esoteric superpowers you see in Japanese media-Yu Yu Hakusho's psychics, Hunter x Hunter Nen abilities, Bleach zanpakutou, One Piece devil fruits, etc.-are all pretty clearly influenced by Stands.

cntr

Banned
Superpowers come from superhero comics (duh), but Jojo created the idea of powers as things you use with smarts, rather than pure strength or power level.

Superpowers come from superhero comics (duh), but Jojo created the idea of powers as things you use with smarts, rather than pure strength or power level.

This doesn't sound accurate to me, but I don't know enough about superpower origins to dispute it. But like wouldn't superpowers go far back as early mythology?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

pretty sure Superman already did that

silver age era Superman had powers you'd think are Stand based - like shooting beams of rainbow that spawn mini Superman

Siegcram

pretty sure Superman already did that

silver age era Superman had powers you'd think are Stand based - like shooting beams of rainbow that spawn mini Superman
Silver supes just pulled new powers out of his ass, he wasn't especially creative with the ones he already had, which was the point I believe.

Matsukaze

This doesn't sound accurate to me, but I don't know enough about superpower origins to dispute it. But like wouldn't superpowers go far back as early mythology?
Essentially, yes. Comics are just modern-day mythology, filling the same human need for compelling stories that has existed forever - tales featuring extraordinary figures (with amazing talents and abilities), interesting locales both familiar and totally alien, and captivating struggles. Superpowers didn't just pop into the human imagination in the twentieth century, even if the actual term did.

Araki should be proud - no other heroes can boast to being as fabulous as his. :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just google imaged what you're talking about and wow, was That intentional or was arak I really having a off day? Lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So on the thing I wanted to know is how long it took for arak to do each part, I would assume part 1-3 took the rest of the 80s and early 90s and I'm guessing part 4 Took the rest of the 90s which I'm wondering was it 1999 when part 4 took place or was it actually before 1999, I feel like with only 7 or 8 parts he must have took a long hiatus at some point, especially when atleast 2 of them were so short

Grexeno

So on the thing I wanted to know is how long it took for arak to do each part, I would assume part 1-3 took the rest of the 80s and early 90s and I'm guessing part 4 Took the rest of the 90s which I'm wondering was it 1999 when part 4 took place or was it actually before 1999, I feel like with only 7 or 8 parts he must have took a long hiatus at some point, especially when atleast 2 of them were so short
Phantom Blood = 1987
Battle Tendency = 1987-1989
Stardust Crusaders = 1989-1992
Diamond is Unbreakable = 1992-1995
Vento Aureo = 1995-1999
Stone Ocean = 2000-2003
Steel Ball Run (became monthly in this part) = 2004-2011
JoJolion = 2011 to present

Tecl0n

It's more related to the fact that part 7 is very, very long.

part 4 92-95
part 5 95-99
part 6 00-03
part 7 04-11 (Part 7 became monthy early in its run)
part 8 11-ongoing

EDIT: damn....

Phantom Blood = 1987
Battle Tendency = 1987-1989
Stardust Crusaders = 1989-1992
Diamond is Unbreakable = 1992-1995
Vento Aureo = 1995-1999
Stone Ocean = 2000-2003
Steel Ball Run (became monthly in this part) = 2004-2011
JoJolion = 2011 to present
Araki is not Miura confirmed. I guess this is what happens when you don't play IdolMaster.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So there are more stand users in Part 4 than in Part 3? Are the contracts from Darker than Black a rip off of stands?

I think their might be a bit less in Part 4, only because the individual "episodes" are a bit longer and there's not as many one-shot "Stand Users of the Week".

I think their might be a bit less in Part 4, only because the individual "episodes" are a bit longer and there's not as many one-shot "Stand Users of the Week".
Ok, as long as they're better characters then that's cool. Jotaro stomped through too many of the early stand users and they did seem a bit bland.

cntr

Banned
Yeah the monthly chapters are 40 to 60 chapters, weeklies are about 15-20.

Araki is not Miura confirmed. I guess this is what happens when you don't play IdolMaster.

The only hiatus I remember Araki ever taking was between Part 6 and 7, and that's because Part 7 wasn't meant to be Part 7, it was a separate series was retconned into being a reboot a year or two into its run. Jojo originally ended with Part 6.

that said, don't ask for too many deets on this, I'm already getting too close to spoilers myself

cntr

Banned
Essentially, yes. Comics are just modern-day mythology, filling the same human need for compelling stories that has existed forever - tales featuring extraordinary figures (with amazing talents and abilities), interesting locales both familiar and totally alien, and captivating struggles. Superpowers didn't just pop into the human imagination in the twentieth century, even if the actual term did.

Araki should be proud - no other heroes can boast to being as fabulous as his. :)
true true, fair point

Top Bottom