• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Polnareff was good, but it was mostly his and Jotaro's show. Part 4 shares the spotlight more evenly between everyone, Okayasu is probably the one worst off in that regard.

Polnareff is ok. But like if even half his screen time was given to Kakyoin instead I'd have been way happier.

Polnareff is ok. But like if even half his screen time was given to Kakyoin instead I'd have been way happier.
Cause Kakyoin was actually intelligent. Okuyasu at least comes off as dumb funny for the majority of the time, Polanareff from what I remember what just dumb and impulsive.

Numb

all that slander in here brah

polnareff is part 3 mvp

he is only good in the old abridged jojo OVA
manny.png

Yonafunu

y'all just salty my boy JP lived to the end when even Araki thought avdol was dull as shit and couldn't kill him off soon enough

the vanilla ice fight is top tier stardust crusaders

y'all just salty my boy JP lived to the end when even Araki thought avdol was dull as shit and couldn't kill him off soon enough

He's only alive cause Avdol and Iggy got their asses cut in half just so he could survive. He would've been the first casualty.

Yonafunu

Honestly unless part 4 really picks up later on this is on pace to be my least favorite JoJo arc. I loved Persona 4 and I like the idea of the small town setting but I'm not connecting with the main cast and the villains aren't intimidating or interesting since most of them have been crazy teenagers. Stardust crusader better hid it's stand of the week format behind the fact we were always heading to Egypt, after the Nijimura bros episode the plot has basically come to a stand still with no real direction outside of wait for more stand users to pop up and weed them out to find the guy with the bow.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kakyoin was a terrible character. Like, try describing him without reference to physical attributes: I can't name a single facet of his personality or character traits. In the vast majority of episodes, he could simply not have been there and nobody would have noticed. At least Polnareff served as comic relief.

Don't know why I didn't consider stand battles lol, but yeah Okuyasu is brain dead from that angle. I was thinking more along the lines of general interactions and life shenanigans. Then again, he has Josuke to anchor him down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kakyoin was a terrible character. Like, try describing him without reference to physical attributes: I can't name a single facet of his personality or character traits. In the vast majority of episodes, he could simply not have been there and nobody would have noticed. At least Polnareff served as comic relief.

rerorerorerorero

Kakyoin beat that stupid baby with his Freddy Kreuger stand.

cntr

Banned
I feel like Okuyasu isn't really dumb as much as he's heard his brother call him dumb so often that he doesn't put any effort into being smart

I feel like Okuyasu isn't really dumb as much as he's heard his brother call him dumb so often that he doesn't put any effort into being smart
He was smart enough to know that The Hando could put that woman's burning hair out, instead of just fucking decapitating her.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Kakyoin has confidence, he's pretty good at video games.

Crocodile

Another DBZ reference in Jojo was in Part 3 when Dio got out of nowhere a Dragonball aura.

Araki was such a big DBZ fan at that time.

Yeah I remember thinking "oh I guess these characters can fly now because of reasons?"

I dunno I thought that was stupid. It actually kind of broke my suspension of disbelief to see people just flwying around and glowing and shit for no reason. I much preferred how the OVA handled that bit.

LMAO you say that as if Araki wasn't the author and couldn't have just written Avdol better if he fucking wanted too. Araki wasn't an innocent bystander to his own comic.

Honestly unless part 4 really picks up later on this is on pace to be my least favorite JoJo arc. I loved Persona 4 and I like the idea of the small town setting but I'm not connecting with the main cast and the villains aren't intimidating or interesting since most of them have been crazy teenagers. Stardust crusader better hid it's stand of the week format behind the fact we were always heading to Egypt, after the Nijimura bros episode the plot has basically come to a stand still with no real direction outside of wait for more stand users to pop up and weed them out to find the guy with the bow.

Eh I'm not so sure I can agree. I feel the early Stand fights of this part have been better than the early Stand fights of Part III. Character interactions are better, Josuke > Part III Jotaro, style has been much better than Part III, etc. I do expect Part IV to improve as time goes on so I hope you like it more later. I'm going in just as blind as you are.

I dunno I thought that was stupid. It actually kind of broke my suspension of disbelief to see people just flwying around and glowing and shit for no reason. I much preferred how the OVA handled that bit.

LMAO you say that as if Araki wasn't the author and couldn't have just written Avdol better if he fucking wanted too. Araki wasn't an innocent bystander to his own comic.

Eh I'm not so sure I can agree. I feel the early Stand fights of this part have been better than the early Stand fights of Part III. Character interactions are better, Josuke > Part III Jotaro, style has been much better than Part III, etc. I do expect Part IV to improve as time goes on so I hope you like it more later. I'm going in just as blind as you are.

The only good fight in part 4 have been against Angelo and the older Nijimura brother, part 3 had way more memorable fights between the kakyoin and polenareff intro fights, the fight trying to find the stand user on the airplane, the stand using gorilla battle, etc. Part 3 also had Joseph and Dio who always stole the show and I prefer my shonen hero to be Jotaro "boring" bad ass over Josuke's half serious half goofball nature. I honestly can't say I care much for any of part 4's new cast. When I'm watching an episode I'm super engaged but I don't find myself needing the next episode each week like I've done before.

I'll give you the style and production values of part 4 stomp part 3 and david pro continues to make each Jojo part look better and better, but story wise I'm not invested at all after the Nijimura arc the show feels like its been spinning wheels and its far more distracting here then it was in stardust crusaders.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
the fight trying to find the stand user on the airplane

It's been a while since I've seen someone praise the Tower of Gray fight.

story wise I'm not invested at all after the Nijimura arc the show feels like its been spinning wheels

Part 4 starts out sort of like part 2, where something happens and there's a vague goal (BT=find out what happened to Speedwagon, DiU=find the arrow), and then everything feels a little aimless for a bit before a new, more prominent goal is established (in BT it's "let's go kill the other Pillar Men"). It's just that it's drawn out more in part 4 due to the longer pacing, the slice of life-lite elements, and the returning villain of the week formula, not to mention the fact that there's almost zero downtime between Santana's defeat and the introduction of the rest of the Pillar Men. On the other hand, part 1 gets to the main goal pretty quick (let's kill Dio because he's a dick) and, like you already pointed out, part 3 starts out with a goal that never changes (let's go kill Dio again because he's still a dick and Holly is dying).

cntr

Banned
Angelo and Surface are results of the Part 3/Part 4 transition -- I'd say Yukako is where Part 4 gets its style rolling.

Mista Koo

The only good fight in part 4 have been against Angelo and the older Nijimura brother, part 3 had way more memorable fights between the kakyoin and polenareff intro fights, the fight trying to find the stand user on the airplane, the stand using gorilla battle, etc. Part 3 also had Joseph and Dio who always stole the show and I prefer my shonen hero to be Jotaro "boring" bad ass over Josuke's half serious half goofball nature. I honestly can't say I care much for any of part 4's new cast. When I'm watching an episode I'm super engaged but I don't find myself needing the next episode each week like I've done before.
While I agree with you on the bolded part, I disagree with the rest. I find Angelo's fight more interesting than any fight in the first 8 episodes of Part 3.
The only two fights that were memorable to me were Polnareff's intro fight, and his fight against Ebony Devil (which was very short and I wouldn't have remembered its name if it wasn't for the game).

The only things missing from Stardust Crusaders are the locale changes and sense of progression. In SC just moving from one place to the next we are closer to Egypt and thus to the objective, while at the same time showing new interesting locales. Due to the way DIU is setup this can't happen, and instead we get the random stand users to exist as characters after their loss.
Although I would've preferred it if they at least tied the random stand users to unveiling the mysteries happening in the town. Maybe make it so each episode starts with a weird death that foreshadows a future stand before the OP? For example show the kid gouging his eye at the start of Echoes, perhaps a corpse hanging from a hairy noose at the start of Surface. Take it one step further and show the deaths in random order and at least a couple of episodes before the stand users actual confrontation.

Anyway different strokes for different folks.

Pol was only ever good for inspiring fighting game character hair
Good one, although Stroheim was better in that regard :p

Speaking of fighting games, I thought Polnareff was really cool when I first played the Capcom game ages ago. So when I found out how he actually was I was extremely disappointed. Joseph and Iggy were the real stars for me.

He was certainly under utilized, he was supposed to be the silent cool type.

Betty

Banned
storafötter;204508497 said:
I agree. The series only gets better, even if previous arcs had high and lows. The lows were far too often. I found myself bored most of arc threes episode.

Surprised to hear this, personally I never once got bored. I agree each arc seems a step up over the last though.

Ezalc

Yes? The direction in every facet is off the charts better then Part 3, which was better then Part 1/2 and Part 4 is just better to begin with.

Part 3 is not better than part 2. Not with Cardboard McDolphins as the protagonist. Part 4 is heavenly though, up there with Part 2 as one of the best.

Top Bottom