• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Blues1990

Part 3 is not better than part 2. Not with Cardboard McDolphins as the protagonist. Part 4 is heavenly though, up there with Part 2 as one of the best.

That was the only thing that I hated about Stardust Crusaders. It had a solid supporting cast and was a great turning point for the series, but Jotaro wasn't even remotely likable as Jonathan or Joseph. If anything, Jotaro works a lot better in a mentor/supporting role helping out Josuke (who's a moderate balance between Jonathan and Joseph) than Mr. Block of Wood being in the limelight.

Magwik

Banned
That was the only thing that I hated about Stardust Crusaders. It had a solid supporting cast and was the turning point for the series, but Jotaro wasn't even remotely likable as Jonathan or Joseph. If anything, Jotaro works a lot better in a mentor/supporting role helping out Josuke (who's a moderate balance between Jonathan and Joseph) than Mr. Block of Wood being in the limelight.

Joseph owned Part 3 more than Jotaro did. That's how boring the dude was. Loving him in Part 4 though.

Betty

Banned
Part 3 is not better than part 2. Not with Cardboard McDolphins as the protagonist. Part 4 is heavenly though, up there with Part 2 as one of the best.

Jotaro is awesome and part 3 really stepped up the creativity in all areas.

There's an argument that the ending of part 2 was better because of how severely dire things were for Joseph but overall part 3 was just a bigger joyride.

Grexeno

Man, I can't wait for the rest of this show. Insane to think that Surface was literally the lowest point of Part 4 and we've already passed it.

Yonafunu

He's talking about the direction tho, not the actual story and characters. Looking at the techical aspects, every part has been a nice improvement over the last.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Part 4 is leagues better then the last three adaptations already.

Yeah, even if Part 2 is my favorite in the Manga, David Pro has really stepped it up with Part 4, it a significantly better adaptation.

I find Part 3 to be the most boring in the series, but I have a feeling its a case of 'Seinfeld isn't funny', and that all the original stuff it did has been ripped off and done significantly better in the last 20 years. I'd likely have my top 3 as Part 2, Part 7, and then Part 4.

I wonder what they are going to do about Part 7 being so damn long. I feel it needs at least 70-80 episodes. When it got switched to a monthly format, the chapters got significantly longer.

Blues1990

Yeah, even if Part 2 is my favorite in the Manga, David Pro has really stepped it up with Part 4, it a significantly better adaptation.

I find Part 3 to be the most boring in the series, but I have a feeling its a case of 'Seinfeld isn't funny', and that all the original stuff it did has been ripped off and done significantly better in the last 20 years. I'd likely have my top 3 as Part 2, Part 7, and then Part 4.

I wonder what they are going to do about Part 7 being so damn long. I feel it needs at least 70-80 episodes. When it got switched to a monthly format, the chapters got significantly longer.

I'm personally looking forward to the Stone Ocean adaption the most, as Part 6 was the series that had introduced me to the manga in the first place. In either case, I'm still having a blast watching the other parts.

Matsukaze

Man, I can't wait for the rest of this show. Insane to think that Surface was literally the lowest point of Part 4 and we've already passed it.
I know, right? DavidPro knocked the "warm-up" chapters out of the park. When we get to the really good stuff? It's gonna be sweeeeet.

If people hate on the next arc after Yukako I'm going to question whether they deserve JoJo at all
If they can't appreciate what's coming up next, they really don't deserve JoJo lol.

I don't get how some aren't enjoying this. I've liked it the moment they played that Morioh City Radio theme in the first episode. I'm also liking this cast a lot more than Stardust's too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
CjPFQrJWgAAdzFI.jpg

CjPPGT4UYAAbslo.jpg

Mista Koo

I kinda wish they put Echoes in mind when they made this adaptation, I think it would've been more effective had they been using kana sound effects for random regular sounds effects. It would've made moments where we weren't told these sounds were made by Echoes work (e.g. train noise in Surface episode).

That was the only thing that I hated about Stardust Crusaders. It had a solid supporting cast and was a great turning point for the series, but Jotaro wasn't even remotely likable as Jonathan or Joseph. If anything, Jotaro works a lot better in a mentor/supporting role helping out Josuke (who's a moderate balance between Jonathan and Joseph) than Mr. Block of Wood being in the limelight.
Yes, Jotaro is a lot better in Part 4 (in personality, role, and design). But I hate the implication that Jonathan was a character :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I have no idea what's coming after Yukako (and please, no spoilers or hints, this is not the thread), but you guys are getting me hyped up for it. Part 4 is already so much superior to Part 3 it's not even funny.

Which is weird when you think about it. Compared to all the previous parts, Diamond arguably is the most cliché's part for setting and main characters: teenagers in school in Japan? Check. Furyo-looking main character? Check. Foul-mouthed dummy with a heart of gold? Check. Apparently useless cowardly sidekick? Check. Yandere girl? Check.

And yet it turns all those conventions on their heads:
- We barely see the school
- The furyo character is actually very nice and polite (as long as you don't talk shit about his hair of course)
- The dummy is incredibly strong, possibly stronger than anyone else - I'm sure someone will tell me it's actually a cliché, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head; it's still fairly a fairly fresh idea in my mind
- The coward sidekick with no powers becomes brave very quickly and gains a very interesting power.

Diamond is Unbreakable is really all about taking unexpected turns based on your preconceptions. The defining moment for me was in episode 1, when Jôsuke is all apologetic with the bullies at the beginning and with Jôtarô. I was shocked at how likeable he is from the outset.

Blues1990

Yes, Jotaro is a lot better in Part 4 (in personality, role, and design). But I hate the implication that Jonathan was a character :p

I'll give you that Jonathan is the standard template for the modern shonen protagonist, as well as being honorable to a fault. But to say that he wasn't a character in his own right is a but unfair. Jonathan has his own unique traits that make him stand out, such as being the only JoJo protagonist to be well mannered, & is genuinely polite, earnest, and openly kind. He firmly believes there is good in people, even in the likes of Dio.

There's also the little fact that his sacrifice allowed his son to continue the Joestar bloodline, making him responsible for every good deed the protagonists in the series had accomplish. (Even though said sacrifice had allowed Dio to hijack his body & became dangerously powerful in the long-run.)

Tizoc

I have no idea what's coming after Yukako (and please, no spoilers or hints, this is not the thread), but you guys are getting me hyped up for it. Part 4 is already so much superior to Part 3 it's not even funny.

Which is weird when you think about it. Compared to all the previous parts, Diamond arguably is the most cliché's part for setting and main characters: teenagers in school in Japan? Check. Furyo-looking main character? Check. Foul-mouthed dummy with a heart of gold? Check. Apparently useless cowardly sidekick? Check. Yandere girl? Check.

And yet it turns all those conventions on their heads:
- We barely see the school
- The furyo character is actually very nice and polite (as long as you don't talk shit about his hair of course)
- The dummy is incredibly strong, possibly stronger than anyone else - I'm sure someone will tell me it's actually a cliché, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head; it's still fairly a fairly fresh idea in my mind
- The coward sidekick with no powers becomes brave very quickly and gains a very interesting power.

Diamond is Unbreakable is really all about taking unexpected turns based on your preconceptions. The defining moment for me was in episode 1, when Jôsuke is all apologetic with the bullies at the beginning and with Jôtarô. I was shocked at how likeable he is from the outset.

Let me say this at least: The encounter after Yukako's episode? It will make this Part your fav. JoJo part ever.

Also remember this was published during the early 90s.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Let me say this at least: The encounter after Yukako's episode? It will make this Part your fav. JoJo part ever.

Now I know I'm gonna be disappointed courtesy of too-high-expectations.

Also remember this was published during the early 90s.

I know. What is your point? That it's even more original considering how old it is? Or that manga anime weren't filled with the same clichés back then?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stop hyping everything up guys

Know that part you're hyped about? Well, the next one will be even more hype! And the one after that? Oh man, you don't wanna know. Or that other one.

... But those all pale in comparison to the true hype part. You're in for a treat, lemme tell you ;).

I like Jotaro because he says yare yare daze with his sexy voice, but in honesty I think Josuke is my favourite, he just seems like the best JoJo to have as your friend, he is friendly in nature but he doesn't seem to be above being a bit immature sometimes or something. He's a good kid

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The dummy is incredibly strong, possibly stronger than anyone else - I'm sure someone will tell me it's actually a cliché, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head; it's still fairly a fairly fresh idea in my mind

I mean, in terms of book smarts that's pretty common for Shonen M.C.---Ash, Naruto, Goku, Luffy, all potentially some of the "dumbest" characters in the show yet among the strongest. JoJo is one of the few examples where the M.C. doesn't fall into that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I mean, in terms of book smarts that's pretty common for Shonen M.C.---Ash, Naruto, Goku, Luffy, all potentially some of the "dumbest" characters in the show yet among the strongest. JoJo is one of the few examples where the M.C. doesn't fall into that.

I should have phrased it better: Okuyasu is BATTLE-dumb on top of being just plain dumb. Goku is dumb, but he is a smart fighter with great intuition. I don't watch Naruto, but I assume he too is pretty smart when it comes to fighting.

Okuyasu, on the other hand, has the strongest power of them all, and he knows how to fight (I guess, so far?), but he doesn't how to use the tools at his disposal. He couldn't devise a fighting tactic if his life depended on it.

Boss Doggie

The only time Ash came into "shonen" was when he's smarter though. Otherwise he's not shonen but kodomo.

I should have phrased it better: Okuyasu is BATTLE-dumb on top of being just plain dumb. Goku is dumb, but he is a smart fighter with great intuition. I don't watch Naruto, but I assume he too is pretty smart when it comes to fighting.

Okuyasu, on the other hand, has the strongest power of them all, and he knows how to fight (I guess, so far?), but he doesn't how to use the tools at his disposal. He couldn't devise a fighting tactic if his life depended on it.
You have no idea the leagues of stupid Naruto is till very late in Shippuden.

jett

D-Member

Part 2 is too much of a low budget motion comic unfortunately. I think Part 4 might be the best this show has been.

NEO0MJ

The Absorbing Man from Marvel is a prime example of this. He has the power to change his body's very structure and replicate the properties of anything he touches, including magic and cosmic powers. However because he he's so stupid he never elevated himself above the petty criminal he was before getting that power and uses it mostly to turn his body into steel and other boring things when he can do so much more with it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm personally looking forward to the Stone Ocean adaption the most, as Part 6 was the series that had introduced me to the manga in the first place. In either case, I'm still having a blast watching the other parts.
Same for me, really looking frward to it

Matsukaze

Nope. I think all the JoJos are great protagonists, with their own merits. It's only when they are in direct competition with one another that the flaws or shortcomings about them really stand out, but YMMV.

It's fun (for me) to bust the chops of one particular JoJo, though. :p

Tizoc

Now I know I'm gonna be disappointed courtesy of too-high-expectations.

I know. What is your point? That it's even more original considering how old it is? Or that manga anime weren't filled with the same clichés back then?

Well there was

Not implying it's original but that it's a product of its time following concepts that were in series before it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What I appreciated about parts 1 and 2 was the concept of a forward-moving and interconnected story. You came to really hate characters like Dio and Kars because they were a constant presence. Part 3 really suffered from 'monster of the week' syndrome, I got really bored midway through with throwaway-Tarot-Stand no. 16. Part 4 seems to be going a little that way too, which I'm not really liking, but it's at least keeping a little more narrative structure. Overall, part 2 has definitely been my favourite - best plot, best Jojo, and best support cast - but we'll see how part 4 develops.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The supporting cast in Battle Tendency is one of the worst aspects about that part though.

Caesar is a boring headstrong, hotheaded character that gets himself killed due to his pride. The two good things I can say about bubble boy are that he goes through some character growth due to his relationships with Joseph and his father (though the latter is more of a footnote compared to the former), and he has a cool death.
Lisa Lisa could have been cool, but she ends up being a generic damsel in distress because Araki was held back by higher-ups. She's not terrible but she isn't really good, either.
Smokey simply exists to give Joseph someone to look cool in front of, Anne/runaway girl ends up filling the same role for Jotaro in early Stardust Crusaders. Poco, the kid from Phantom Blood, ends up doing more than either of them.
Loggins and Messina are the equivalent of Dire, but without Dire's meme.
Suzie Q. exists to be a plot device for the ACDC fight.
Speedwagon returns to be afraid, again, but now he also serves as a plot device and a father figure for Joseph.

The one good supporting cast member is Stroheim, because Araki somehow manages to subvert expectations with that character. Other than that, the other members of the supporting cast range from "okay" to "weak at best."

Boss Doggie

people cared about other characters in part 2 beside josephine, bubble blower, nazi the science guy, and aztec gods of fitness?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
people cared about other characters in part 2 beside josephine, bubble blower, nazi the science guy, and aztec gods of fitness?

Caeser, Stroheim and Lisa Lisa were better than the support cast in part 1 (basically non-existent) and I think better than the support cast in part 3 as well. I'm sort of cheating re: part 3 because I'm not including Joseph because he was a main character before, he definitely evens things up a bit, but excluding him Kakyoin was... I don't even remember anything about Kakyoin, complete blank slate, and Avdol was great but brutally underutilized so that counts against him, he got Tien Shinhan'd. Polnareff was funny but that didn't make up for the rest, plus even though he's funny Jotaro is literally the most boring character in the entire series to date so there was very little to work with, Polnareff's best episodes are those when he was more or less by himself.

I'm warming to part 4's support cast because they've all actually had something reasonably important to do already and have relatively distinct characters, but it's early on so I'm not going to judge too much. I've never read the manga (well, snippets), so I don't really have any prior expectations, I'm just calling it as I see it.

Matsukaze

What I appreciated about parts 1 and 2 was the concept of a forward-moving and interconnected story. You came to really hate characters like Dio and Kars because they were a constant presence. Part 3 really suffered from 'monster of the week' syndrome, I got really bored midway through with throwaway-Tarot-Stand no. 16. Part 4 seems to be going a little that way too, which I'm not really liking, but it's at least keeping a little more narrative structure. Overall, part 2 has definitely been my favourite - best plot, best Jojo, and best support cast - but we'll see how part 4 develops.
One of the big things that separates the structure of Part 4 from Part 3 is that the former has a specific goal of "Explore the setting", whereas the various locales in Stardust Crusaders were never meant to be explored, only existing as a backdrop for Stand chaos.

Because of this, there are certain adventures in Part 4 that do little to advance the plot but do a great deal to flesh out Morioh as this bustling, realistic town with eccentric inhabitants and landmarks; I suppose you might liken it to Cowboy Bebop, in a way (though it's not to the same degree as that). It adds detail and character to the setting in a way that Parts 1-3 never came close to realizing. Plus, Araki does a much better job in Part 4 of presenting characters whose lives go beyond "Beat up bad guys", which is one of the main reasons the Part 4 crew blows the crews of Parts 1-3 out of the water.

Betty

Banned
Jotaro is my second favorite protag in the series behind the part 5 protag.

I haven't read the Manga but the only time i've heard any complaints was over part 5's story and protag.

Personally I don't know how they'll make part 8's protag work with that sailor outfit.

Top Bottom