• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So even a name as generic as Surface can be in the gray area? Weird.

When it comes to artistic names such as band names or book names I'm not sure, but as a general rule, trademarks only apply to specific categories of products/services.

For instance - sorry if this is a bit obscure for people who don't live in France -, Mont Blanc is both a well-known trademark/brand of luxury pens, and a well-known trademark/brand of custard dessert. Both brands can coexist because their trademarks apply to very different types of products.

The only exception to this rule is when a trademark is deemed extremely well-known. You can't just create a car and call it Coca-Cola even though it's got nothing to do with the soda brand, because Coca-Cola is just so well-known that it would cause confusion in the consumers' minds.

But again, when it comes to using an existing band/song name as a fictional character's name in an otherwise unrelated product, I'm not exactly sure whether that's legal or risky.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Which is bullshit considering that a goddamn Nick show can get away with blatant Aerosmith references. I get the "better safe than sorry" approach, but renaming stuff like Bad Company or even Surface is being a bit paranoid.

Speaking of Aerosmith, was that name changed in Part 5 for the West?

Yep, it's called
Lil Bomber in All-Star Battle. It might get changed again in the Part 5 anime subs just like Pearl Jam was Opal Jam in ASB but Pole Jam in the Part 4 anime subs.

Why couldn't RHCP's owner just revoke his stand back to him instead of taking the bike to get away? Is there any hard and fast rule on revoking stands?

Stands have to actually cross the distance back to the user when recalled, like echoes did during the yukako fight. RHCP needs to be bound to a source of electricity to work.

jstripes

Banned
Stands have to actually cross the distance back to the user when recalled, like echoes did during the yukako fight. RHCP needs to be bound to a source of electricity to work.

Also, like that water-based stand in episodes 2 and 3. Once it was trapped, it couldn't do anything.

Ascheroth

Is that because those episodes are made before they figured out what to do with the series or they're just plain bad?

You don't need them. They are anime original special episodes that feature some of the main cast before they are properly introduced. They are also not that good.
Episode 3 is the mangas first chapter.

Ascheroth

So they're like the first couple of eps of Soul Eater?

Can't remember, but you really don't miss anything by skipping those.

Thanks for the tip. I tried to watch it a few years ago, but got bored halfway through the first episode.

The general consensus on the Gintama anime is, as far as I know, to skip the first 2 episodes and that it takes a while to really find its groove, which for most is in the mid-twenties.
The main thing is probably that Gintama relies a lot on its characters for its comedy, and it takes a while until the important ones are all properly introduced.
My personal opinion is that the early Gintama episodes are not bad, but really pale in comparison to the rest of the show. And it DOES have 300 episodes.

And to keep this relevant to JoJo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9xkgcjxWQw :p

Astral

Late Gintama looks so good but fuck if I can get through the first few episodes. I stopped around 13 I think a long time ago. They're just so mediocre. Sugita being in it is the only thing that kept me going. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Squishy3

Late Gintama looks so good but fuck if I can get through the first few episodes. I stopped around 13 I think a long time ago. They're just so mediocre. Sugita being in it is the only thing that kept me going. I guess I'll give it another shot.
The first Takasugi episode was right about to happen so there'll be some Takehito Koyasu for you to enjoy at least. :p

The beginning of the series isn't bad by any means but it pales in comparison to the later stuff. The "Gotta find a time machine" as Gintoki climbs into a vending machine is still one of my favorite gags ever and that's in like the 4th episode.

FluxWaveZ

Was thinking about how Josuke brought Okuyasu back only using his severed arm in the last episode. If his "healing/repair/revert" ability can work like that, then it feels like in theory he could teleport anyone to his location by just having a fragment of their person, like a fingernail or a hair.

Also, Gintama is one of the best shows ever made.

cntr

Banned
Was thinking about how Josuke brought Okuyasu back only using his severed arm in the last episode. If his "healing/repair/revert" ability can work like that, then it feels like in theory he could teleport anyone to his location by just having a fragment of their person, like a fingernail or a hair.

Also, Gintama is one of the best shows ever made.
Normally it's based on the biggest fragment, but Okuyasu being inside the electrical wires was a special case. Crazy Diamond doesn't have the power to turn things into electricity, only return Okuyasu to his default state of not-electricity.

FluxWaveZ

Normally it's based on the biggest fragment, but Okuyasu being inside the electrical wires was a special case. Crazy Diamond doesn't have the power to turn things into electricity, only return Okuyasu to his default state of not-electricity.

Ah, I see, the electrical transmogrification was the essential part.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They made this fight way more fun than it was in the manga. Loving the foreshadowing at the end. Finally we get to the real part 4.

*chew*

I have an appointment so I won't be able to watch for a few hours, but I really hope they left in the
"let's take a break from the episode to talk about this sweet guitar"
bit from the manga.

PK Gaming

Akira was delightfully entertaining, though the fight wasn't s thrilling as it could have been.

Still, good episode all around and I liked the ending. It was more emotional than I remembered.

ScribbleD

They made this fight way more fun than it was in the manga. Loving the foreshadowing at the end. Finally we get to the real part 4.

*chew*

This wasn't the real part 4 yet?

God damn this season has been good. Like a breath of fresh air after part 3.

MrHoot

I liked that little moment at the end between Josuke and Joseph. A lot of people don't like old rickety Joseph but I kinda always liked that evolution and found him quite endearing here

Matsukaze

Episode was great. Best part for me besides the father-and-son scene was definitely the foreshadowing at the end. We're on our way!

This wasn't the real part 4 yet?

God damn this season has been good. Like a breath of fresh air after part 3.
This has been the warm-up portion of Part 4, where Araki was still testing the waters with certain elements of the contained setting, among other things. We're now approaching the real meat of DiU. Personally, I believe that folks who have not read the manga will notice that Araki's confidence really begins to bloom with certain chapters in the near future.

Great episode. I remember the fight in the manna being a bit forgettable, but seeing it in the anime accompanied with the OST and guitar solo made it sooo much more entertaining. That bonding scene at the end was adorable as well.

Not gonna try to make the mistake of overhyping anime only viewers, since there a couple of low points we still have to trudge through. However, the THING that DEFINES part 4 is so damn close to being animated :D

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
While I really liked how over the top the villain was, the actual fight itself felt very pedestrian, especially for someone they've been slowly building up for like 6 episodes or something. I felt like the Aqua Necklace episode was stronger and didn't even require two episodes.

Also why didn't the stand user melt when RHCP was dissipated over the water?

Is the answer Araki?

Top Bottom