• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Keep in mind I'm only watching the anime, so I don't know how Part 4 will turn out or exactly how the future parts are, but am I the only one who as of right now thinks Part 2 is the best? Don't get me wrong I like Part 3 and I'm enjoying Part 4, but I really liked 2.
Nah it's my favorite so far too.

JohnDoe

Banned
Without getting too much into Part 5 and translation fuckery (because it's already been covered by other posters) many English speaking fans who are also capable at Japanese have it in their Top 3 and those who read the English translation have it as (one of) their worst.

Part 2 can't be the worst when you have Joseph Joestar in his prime. And his prime eclipses anyone elses, easily.

That's sort of a problem though since Part 2's 'cast' is actually pretty weak because of how much Joseph carries on his back. Even the Pillar Men were kind of meh.

Zekes!

Without getting too much into Part 5 and translation fuckery (because it's already been covered by other posters) many English speaking fans who are also capable at Japanese have it in their Top 3 and those who read the English translation have it as (one of) their worst.

I read Part 5 in English and it's one of my favourites

Shit maybe? I don't really know how this stuff goes but since there's no breaks for this series and Part 5's popularity is huge, maybe DP will roll right into it. I'm also kinda assuming Bluray sales for Part 4 will be adequate enough.

There's a Jojo event announced for early 2017 so we'll know then.

Tall4Life

That's sort of a problem though since Part 2's 'cast' is actually pretty weak because of how much Joseph carries on his back. Even the Pillar Men were kind of meh.

I disagree... there have certainly been stronger side characters in other parts, but Caesar especially really pulled his weight for his role in the story. And I loved the Pillar Men and their fights, absolute insanity.

Mista Koo

Stroheim, Wamuu, and Caesar were pretty great!

The worst thing about Part 2 is the lack of stands. I wouldn't be opposed to a standalone retelling with stands (no Hermit Purple though).

I disagree... there have certainly been stronger side characters in other parts, but Caesar especially really pulled his weight for his role in the story. And I loved the Pillar Men and their fights, absolute insanity.

He threw a tantrum and got himself killed. Literally every side character in every other part (except Part 1) does more. Hell, the only victory Caesar had was offscreen against one of the two Ripple teachers and that's it.

Ridley327

The Part 5 anime will be all black blobs, all the time
I've seen some panels, and I have no earthly idea how Araki was able to get away with some of that stuff for the Shounen Jump audience. Did the editors not give a shit back then if it wasn't full on boobs or something?

Squishy3

How are non Japanese speakers up to like part 8 if the translations are like this lmao. Maybe this is the reason people complain that some future stands make no sense.
Parts 4 and 5 were the only ones like this. However, Part 5 was the pure definition of incompetence with the old translation.

Part 4's Duwang translation was more accurate than Part 5's in terms of characterization, it just had really bad grammar. Part 5 had better grammar but completely screwed the pooch in every other aspect.

The Part 5 anime will be all black blobs, all the time
In Part 5 and Part 6, everyone has Black Blob stand powers.

Anyways, I feel like many love Part 2 for it's absolute "FUCK IT" mentality and just how absurd it is. It's probably the least serious part, but I honestly think the support cast is better than Phantom Blood. Lisa Lisa, Stroheim, Ceasar, Speedwagon, are FOUR strong support characters as compared to phantom Blood's two (Zeppeli and Speedwagon). And are we honestly going to count the irrelevant Straits and the dumbass who exploded after splitting his legs for an attack?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've seen some panels, and I have no earthly idea how Araki was able to get away with some of that stuff for the Shounen Jump audience. Did the editors not give a shit back then if it wasn't full on boobs or something?

There's a point where a series gets so popular that the editors no longer care.
Just like Hunter x Hunter
Recent manga chapters include Hisoka fighting with a severed head, then gathering up a bunch of bodies to use them as a hammer.

Plus, Jump was a lot more violent back then. They allowed Fist of the North Star to exist.

Well I put it in the main thread...

656.png

Can I just say, even reading the bad part 5 translation once I went through all of the good ongoing translation, knowing enough about the story it's one of my favorite parts of JJBA and I can not wait for the anime adaptation for it to be a thing.

Some of the most creative fights and stands are in that part, nearly the whole cast is on the level of part 4's best IMO, and boy I should post in the manga thread because there are so many bits of it I love but can't post here because this thread has enough shit already.

And the last third of it is some of the wackiest, most bizarre Jojo I have read thus far (I'm on part 6 pls don't wink wink spoilers at me thanks)

I wonder why Kakyoin didn't get to become a spirit when he died. Would have been a lot easier to tell Joeseph about Dio if he could have just floated over to him rather than shoot a clock

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wonder why Kakyoin didn't get to become a spirit when he died. Would have been a lot easier to tell Joeseph about Dio if he could have just floated over to him rather than shoot a clock
If he didn't expend all of his spirit energy shooting the clock, he probably could've just whispered it into Joseph's ear.

Silly Kakyouin.

PK Gaming

Part 2 is legendary.

It isn't even my favorite part, but it's probably the part I had the most fun watching/reading. It moves at such a goddamn quick pace and Araki's always upping the ante.

"You thought Dio was hot shit? Here's a savvy vampire that has Hamon and is willing to kill Joseph immediately"

"Haha just kidding that scrub wasn't the main villain, the nightmare that is Santana is."

"Kiddo, you thought SANTANA was the main villain??? It turns out he's the weakest of the aztec gods, loser"

"Okay the aztec gods were tough as nails, but what if one of them literally became a God? What would you do then???"

That + the feels, music and various locations make Part 2 what it is. Legendary.

Magwik

Banned
Part 2 is legendary.

It isn't even my favorite part, but it's probably the part I had the most fun watching/reading. It moves at such a goddamn quick pace and Araki's always upping the ante.

"You thought Dio was hot shit? Here's a savvy vampire that has Hamon and is willing to kill Joseph immediately"

"Haha just kidding that scrub wasn't the main villain, the nightmare that is Santana is."

"Kiddo, you thought SANTANA was the main villain??? It turns out he's the weakest of the aztec gods, loser"

"Okay the aztec gods were tough as nails, but what if one of them literally became a God? What would you do then???"

That + the feels, music and various locations make Part 2 what it is. Legendary.

For real, nothing in Part 3 comes close to this.

Oh and Roundabout.

Betty

Banned

It's not way better, but I do think it's better, despite it's longer running time I'd rewatch it a dozen times over part 2, which I still think is amazing.

I can agree part 3 doesn't have anything to quite rival part 2's climax, at the time it really did feel like Joseph was screwed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Madao

i won't deny that i went into Jojo because of the Stands and was weird seeing how different the first 2 parts were. i even kept waiting for them to show up until i gave up when only 6 eps were remaining.

still, i enjoyed what was there since things were pretty bizarre and fun.

it's just that Stands sounded so insane and constantly hearing about them referenced in other media and shows such as Gintama really got me curious (there's like a half dozen shows i've watched due to Gintama lol)

also, Stands were pretty much the best way to expand the series' potential beyond the initial premise. as it was laid out initially, it' would have become stale if they just kept pushing more Vampires/Pillar Men over time.

Betty

Banned
It's true. Part 2 loses automatically because of lack of Stands.

7>4>6>3>5>2>1

I hear that part 7 is considered the best by a lot of people, knowing nothing other than what the anime has delivered so far makes me even more curious to see what it's all about.

Top Bottom