• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Part 1 has a better climax despite the Part generally being worse. It's a good ending thematically and it was a really, really bold move on Araki's part. He's said in interviews that it was really taboo in WSJ to kill a main character at the time. You just didn't do it.

Part 2's climax suffers because Kars sucks as a villain and while his ultimate end is pretty fucked and cool, the fight itself is worse than Joseph vs Wamuu.

You can read Part 7 right now since it won't spoil Parts 4 (or 5 and 6)
Idk guys, reading Part 7 might retroactively "ruin" Part 5 and 6 because of the obvious jump in quality and the continued escalation in stand absurdity. I'd say stick with the P4 anime and good Part 5 scans now that they're coming again.

I wouldn't advise any jumping or skipping parts tbh. It just feels...I don't know richer if you go through the parts in order. It's like a weird odyssey.

The wait is killer though

tumblr_inline_nyhi73a47s1qbs47q_540.jpg

Hatty

It's true
Part 2 is only above part 1 in my personal rankings
and don't skip parts even if the translation is bad, though only half of a part has a sup par translation now

I'm trying to remember all the other parts but how far do they go with "stand users attract other stand users"? Was Joseph getting on the wrong bus and finding the invisible baby in the middle of nowhere a manifestation of that?

I'm trying to remember all the other parts but how far do they go with "stand users attract other stand users"? Was Joseph getting on the wrong bus and finding the invisible baby in the middle of nowhere a manifestation of that?

It most certainly could be interpreted like that. Part 4 takes it to upper levels with chance encounters and how kooky some users can be as part of it's small town, slice of life charm. It's not completely random all the time like the baby, mind you, but in other parts there's definitely more rhyme, reason and similar motivations.

cntr

Banned
It's a major thing in all parts, including 3 retroactively to explain all the weird shit like Steely Dan being that specific kebab seller

andymcc

Banned
It's true. Part 2 loses automatically because of lack of Stands.

7>4>6>3>5>2>1

I love 2 but I think if you have a lot of familiarity with Fist of the North Star... it's clear it's pretty indebted to it. Stands are what REALLY set Jojo apart from other 80s shonen manga.

That's quite a surprise, but these anime adaptions are so good I'd rather wait the few years it takes to reach the rest of the parts.

Assuming part 5, 6, 7 etc get adapted.

Part 7's anime is so long out and isn't a guarantee, unfortunately.

Read Steel Ball Run because it is bad-fucking-ass.

cntr

Banned
We'd be getting a Part 7 anime in like, 2020 or 2021. Provided they get enough budget to do it, since it'd have to be 4 seasons long, at minimum.

Blues1990

I do wonder what Dio's stand would've looked like if he still had his original body, as its safe to assume that The World is Johnathan's stand?

Sylas

I do wonder what Dio's stand would've looked like if he still had his original body, as its safe to assume that The World is Johnathan's stand?

No. I think it's implied (or explicitly) that Dio had something close to Hermit Purple thanks to Jonathan's body while The World was his own.

ElFly

No. I think it's implied (or explicitly) that Dio had something close to Hermit Purple thanks to Jonathan's body while The World was his own.

That never made any sense to me; it should be the other way around.

Then again, it wouldn't make sense either that Jotaro would have a time stopping stand then.

That second stand should just never be brought up.

Squishy3

That never made any sense to me; it should be the other way around.

Then again, it wouldn't make sense either that Jotaro would have a time stopping stand then.

That second stand should just never be brought up.
Eh, it's ignored completely after Steely Dan I'm pretty sure, as that's the last time they feel Dio looking at them or something.

Naturally, Dio can use it without breaking a camera. He is best Joestar after all

Hatty

Part 2 also had Ceasar Zeppali who accomplished absolutely nothing and existed for the sole purpose of jobbing

jgminto

Part 2 is easily the most overrated Jojo part, I'd put everything aside from 1 above it. Caesar sucks, Lisa Lisa barely does anything and Joseph is a much more interesting character in 3 and 4. The Pillar Men are meant to be threatening but Joseph gimmicks a win from all of them after the first meeting. Part 3's group dynamic is exciting, watching one or two of the Crusaders figure out how they can overcome a unique stand is so much more interesting than Joseph just pressing the I WIN button. Compare a fight like Mariah, Anubis or D'Arby to the Pillar Men fights or even worse, Straits or Santana, I'd take almost any stand battle over Part 2's fights.

Squishy3

I'd say Joseph vs AC/DC is the best fight in Part 2, coupled with the fact AC/DC actually attains his goal despite having been defeated handily.

Kneefoil

Every time I see people ranking JoJo parts, I feel like my opinion is somehow wrong because Phantom Blood is my favourite JoJo story arc yet it always seems to sit at the very bottom of everyone else's lists. The two biggest things I love about it are the relationship between Jonathan and Dio, and the general art direction the show had back then, even though it was on a noticeably smaller budget. 1>4>2>3 (based only on the anime so far) if someone was curious.

Part 3 would've been better than 2, but I felt like the progression dragged on for far too long. At least we got some more cool stands thanks to that though, but it's not like some of those ideas could not have been integrated into later arcs instead.

Part 4 could still very well take over part 1 for me. It's been very promising so far, but I rewatched part 1 maybe a month ago to see if it held up as well as I remembered, and I still think it reigns supreme.

Breads

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK I JUST NOW REALIZED POLNAREFFS EARRINGS ARE BROKEN HEARTS AND KAKYOINS EARRINGS ARE CHERRYS WITH STEMS

I love Jojo. Been a fan since the OVAs introduced me to the world more than a decade ago.

My name comes from the famous Dio quote "how many breads have you eaten in your life"

It didn't click until just now with those meme drawings.

Anyway 2=4>7>6>8>5>3>1

Squishy3

Part 1's ending is really good. The entire steamboat segment is great and the sight of Jonathan clutching Dio's heads in his arms is the perfect ending shot. The only weak part I'd really say was Tarkus and Bruford.

NeonZ

Come on, you're talking like Stand battles don't throw away their rules and add new abilities (or forget old ones) midway through all the time. In that sense, Jojo's narrative style never changed.

What did change was the bigger emphasis on multiple minor enemies to introduce a larger variety of Stands. I can see the point, but personally, I think building up a smaller number of antagonists is much more effective than having so many minor encounters.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer Stands because there are no real limits to the clever/bullshit abilities that Araki can come up with, something that wouldn't be possible if he had just stuck with Hamon and vampires.

Though I do wish that there were more recurring minor antagonists, similar to Hol Horse.

Man I'm not even a statue guy but I wouldn't even mind owning and displaying jojo statues. Some of those medicos figures are just too good.

Hard to resist my favorite DIO alternate version.

154215.jpg

Man I'm not even a statue guy but I wouldn't even mind owning and displaying jojo statues. Some of those medicos figures are just too good.

Hard to resist my favorite DIO alternate version.

154215.jpg
Yeah honestly, I've only got a dark souls 3 statue but these look so well made and well articulated. I wouldn't mind grabbing Killer Queen, Whitesnake then Black Sabbath and D4c if they ever make those (Stand names from future parts should be ok right?)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stuff makes more sense if you just assume Dio actually had no Stand, and it was all Jonathan, even if Araki said otherwise.

Top Bottom