• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Interesting. If that's how it works then why doesn't Josuke have a plant stand?
When Dio got his stand, each of the Jojo's seemed to have a 50/50 shot of inheriting a plant like stand (Jonathan's) or a punch ghost stand (Dio's). Thus Holly and Joseph got plant stands while Jotaro and Josuke got punch ghosts.

cntr

Banned
In real life, Jotaro had a punch ghost to set up The World and Star Platinum having time stop. Dio doesn't say "he has the same power as me?!" but "he has the same type of stand as me?!".

So Star Platinum and The World were punch ghosts because that's what time stop Stands look like.

This got thrown out of the window when Part 3 got huge popular, and so all Jojos get punch ghost stands to continue from Jotaro. Crazy Diamond is the first punch ghost stand we see that's not Star Platinum or The World.

Ridley327

Lol its like Dio's DNA took over. DIO lives on in Josephs ballsack.

Would Josuke have been around two years old, maybe closer to three when SDC started? A big point that Jotaro mentions in the first episode was already knowing that Josuke went through an identical sickness as Holy did.

vanty

Would Josuke have been around two years old, maybe closer to three when SDC started? A big point that Jotaro mentions in the first episode was already knowing that Josuke went through an identical sickness as Holy did.
He was born in '83 and SDC was '88 to '89.

Mista Koo

I feel like Hermit Purple was given to Joseph because they didn't want to give him an entirely new moveset. Also probably because they didn't want him to be fighting a lot.

I prefer Stands because there are no real limits to the clever/bullshit abilities that Araki can come up with, something that wouldn't be possible if he had just stuck with Hamon and vampires.

Though I do wish that there were more recurring minor antagonists, similar to Hol Horse.
Agreed on both points.

Tizoc

I feel like Hermit Purple was given to Joseph because they didn't want to give him an entirely new moveset. Also probably because they didn't want him to be fighting a lot.

Agreed on both points.
Youve never watched indiana jones have you?

Nottle

Stuff makes more sense if you just assume Dio actually had no Stand, and it was all Jonathan, even if Araki said otherwise.
Stuff makes the most sense if you just don't worry about the details and just have fun. To me it makes more sense that an asshole like Dio just naturally has an asshole, way too good stand. Johnathan as a protagonist isn't allowed to have anything that isn't the most vanilla stand ever.

I prefer Stands because there are no real limits to the clever/bullshit abilities that Araki can come up with, something that wouldn't be possible if he had just stuck with Hamon and vampires.

Though I do wish that there were more recurring minor antagonists, similar to Hol Horse.
I've never really understood this line of thinking. Both stands and Hamon are made up things Araki can just make up rules for. Maybe someone is so good at Hamon they stop time like Dio. Maybe a vampire super monster has the ability to shoot fire like Avdol. A lot of stands aren't so crazy that vampire or Hamon powers couldn't just be used as well. Love deluxe is basically Bruford. The pillar men had insane powers like lava blood and the control of wind. Stands simply make it so that the character needs no explanation for their powers and they have more dynamic weaknesses that aren't sunlight or ripple. Like John Landis once said, "you can kill a vampire anyway you want because vampires aren't real."

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I've never really understood this line of thinking. Both stands and Hamon are made up things Araki can just make up rules for. Maybe someone is so good at Hamon they stop time like Dio. Maybe a vampire super monster has the ability to shoot fire like Avdol. A lot of stands aren't so crazy that vampire or Hamon powers couldn't just be used as well. Love deluxe is basically Bruford. The pillar men had insane powers like lava blood and the control of wind. Stands simply make it so that the character needs no explanation for their powers and they have more dynamic weaknesses that aren't sunlight or ripple. Like John Landis once said, "you can kill a vampire anyway you want because vampires aren't real."

Yeah, but then you have really weird Stand powers that Hamon and vampires (and by extension pillar men) wouldn't be able to reproduce without losing something that makes those encounters unique. Some Stand abilities that haven't been introduced in the anime yet wouldn't feel the same if they were based on sunlight and breathing, or vampire cells and pillar men modes. The more dynamic weaknesses and strengths really bring a lot of tension to the fights and help encourage the puzzle/battle of wits aspect of the series. Araki gets really creative with Hamon and pillar men powers in part 2, but the introduction of Stands also helped to differentiate jojo from other manga/anime, especially with all of the weird designs that Araki comes up with.

cntr

Banned
hamon is kinda weird, since back when Part 1 and 2 were made, it was a super generic concept

but it was so generic that people stopped using things like it, so it's interesting to new readers and watchers

Ezalc

Youve never watched indiana jones have you?

He never uses it like an actual whip though. Just mostly to grab things.

As for the ripple, I really enjoyed it and it allowed a user to do some pretty absurd shit in it's own right, as well as the pillar men modes. I feel like the Ripple shouldn't have been just outright replaced by stands but it should have been continued to be used in conjunction to stands, especially if an user was able to hit and hurt stands as long as they used the ripple to hit them.

He never uses it like an actual whip though. Just mostly to grab things.

As for the ripple, I really enjoyed it and it allowed a user to do some pretty absurd shit in it's own right, as well as the pillar men modes. I feel like the Ripple shouldn't have been just outright replaced by stands but it should have been continued to be used in conjunction to stands, especially if an user was able to hit and hurt stands as long as they used the ripple to hit them.

Araki said he was pretty much out of ideas regarding the Ripple and if he wanted the manga to continue he needed something new. Keeping the Ripple around means you have to keep vampires or Pillar Men around, and even a Ripple Master would get chumped hard by some idiot who has had a Stand for like a week.

Ditching Ripple and vampires (minus DIO, V. Ice and Nukesaku, which Ripple wasn't needed anyway) was the best path and Part 3/Stands is what actually gained JoJo the popularity it has today.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
We got trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfa5AdZeKZ4

PA07zwF.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man I'm not even a statue guy but I wouldn't even mind owning and displaying jojo statues. Some of those medicos figures are just too good.

Hard to resist my favorite DIO alternate version.

154215.jpg
DAMN this is cool. This should have been Part 3 DIO's color scheme.

Kuroyume

Banned
Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Episode 1 the start of the series from the manga material? Like if I wanted to start getting into Jojo without opening the manga (atm) is that were I would start watching on crunchyroll?

jgminto

Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Episode 1 the start of the series from the manga material? Like if I wanted to start getting into Jojo without opening the manga (atm) is that were I would start watching on crunchyroll?
Yes, the first episode of the first season lines up with the beginning of the manga.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm in the UK. Is there any kind of paid streaming service that will allow me to devour tonnes of anime? And if there are a few, what's the best?

UK Netflix is lacking.

I really want to watch this show, Trigun, Bebop, Etc... I'm quite uninformed about this.

Jigolo

I'm in the UK. Is there any kind of paid streaming service that will allow me to devour tonnes of anime? And if there are a few, what's the best?

UK Netflix is lacking.

I really want to watch this show, Trigun, Bebop, Etc... I'm quite uninformed about this.
Watch everything you just mentioned who cares if you're uninformed. It's better that way

So shorter than Stardust Crusaders but longer than part 1 or 2. A little disappointed that it doesn't seem that we've broken into the real story yet but maybe in the next 3-4 weeks.

It sounds weird to say but this past episode with Joseph and Josuke started to set some things in motion.

Zakalwe

Banned
Watch everything you just mentioned who cares if you're uninformed. It's better that way

That's not what I meant... I'm looking for a good place to stream these things, I figured there would be someone in this thread more informed with me who could recommend somewhere.

That's not what I meant... I'm looking for a good place to stream these things, I figured there would be someone in this thread more informed with me who could recommend somewhere.

Crunchyroll has most shows, you can literally google "watch *show name*" and find a decent streaming site as well.

cntr

Banned
Battles in Part 4 are episodic like Part 3, but most cause events that directly go into new fights:

Angelo's defeat makes the Nijimuras notice Josuke and Jotaro,
Koichi getting a stand from the arrow makes Tamami and Yukako notice him, via stand fate,
and Tamami reveals Hazamada/Surface.

Akira and Achtung Baby set up future episodes too, but that's spoilers.

Top Bottom