• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Moaradin

I dig the current OP. Didn't like the remix version but luckily that only lasted a few episodes.

We should be getting a new OP soon though right?

I dig the current OP. Didn't like the remix version but luckily that only lasted a few episodes.

We should be getting a new OP soon though right?
I sure hope so. I hope we get a cooler ending too because it's too tame for my liking. Though I honestly can't think of anything as good as roundabout. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac would be nice but I guess they're saving that.

I like the OP except for the final chorus but yeah, it was up against a pretty tough legacy. Comparitively, I think the ED near the top just behind the obvious.

God, Sono Chi no Sadame + Roundabout is a such a godlike combo.

The current Diamond is Unbreakable OP is clearly the weakest one so far, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Stardust Crusaders OPs so I won't mourn the loss of Kamikaze Douga too much. Meanwhile, the current ED is definitely the best one so far. Roundabout was well used as a musical hook into the ends of episodes in season 1, of course, but the ED visuals proper for it were purely perfunctory.

Guess Who

Banned
I would guess the other reason we didn't get an OP from Kamikaze Douga this time is because DiU is likely going to have three OPs (if we assume 39 episodes with a new OP every 13), and three CG OPs to the standard of the past ones might be out of the budget for DiU.

You know if the new Berserk series had to be CG, I rather Kamikaze Douga got the job.

But my knowledge on Japanese CG studios is pretty slim.

I love "Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town". By far my favorite opening track. I like all of them, but I love the funky flavor.

The current Diamond is Unbreakable OP is clearly the weakest one so far, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Stardust Crusaders OPs so I won't mourn the loss of Kamikaze Douga too much. Meanwhile, the current ED is definitely the best one so far. Roundabout was well used as a musical hook into the ends of episodes in season 1, of course, but the ED visuals proper for it were purely perfunctory.

Are you judging them artistically, or musically?

Crocodile

tumblr_o822yoAgyP1rnvr0so1_1280.jpg

Source

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: DIU 12-13

• The RHCP encounter was a disappointment. Here we have another long range Stand user who comes out into the open and makes themselves vulnerable to an ass-whoppin' who then proceeds to get their ass whooped :p
  • As the midseason boss I expected someone more calculating and intimidating that was connected to the larger plot (again I know he's not the final villian). Instead he's just some random theif who got his hands on the bow & arrow? Lame.
  • Why is this random person a guitarist? It feel like a gimmick more than a natural character. Was Araki afraid the character would be too boring otherwise? To be fair, due to just cultural osmosis, I knew the identity of RHCP's Stand Master and that he had a rock and roll motif but I didn't know much besides that. I thought perhaps the final encounter against him would be like at a stadium or something and they would lead into the music angle and make it really relevant. But nope?
  • Nothing about how RHCP works as a Stand makes sense. I thought it was similar to Iggy's Stand in being "made out of something" but then in this episode we see that when Crazy Diamond punches RHCP or when it falls in the water that damage is reflected on Akria. If that's so, how is the man still alive after what The Hand did to RHCP last episode? When RHCP dissolved in the ocean, how was Akira both injured but so uninjured that he could sneak onto a boat and not look like a wreck.
  • It wasn't made clear to me how they are keeping Akria in jail. Are we sure there are no sources of electricity around? I''m also not sure what Jotaro meant when he said RHCP was gone. A Stand can be destroyed while its master lives? I guess its not that big a deal but it feels weird and unexplained?
  • I have no real qualms with Joseph being old and mostly on the sidelines but there is a difference between old and senile - you can be one without the other. Like last week's episode was kind of depressing but this weeks episode was both funny and heartwarming (one of the better ones so far as there were a lot of real character moments). He's still old as hell but he's not absent. Putting aside my personal preferences, I don't think the Joseph of episode 12, as written, is so poignant and powerful as to be worth that loss of aptitude. I think you can keep the angle of "this is an old man past his time trying to build a relationship with his illegitimate son" without sending his mind and senses to the moon. I don't know how relevant Joseph is to the narrative moving forward but I'm hoping we see more of episode 13 Joseph than episode 12. Maybe I'm hoping up a tree though :p
Ten years is not "a few". He's old.

Yup. He was 68 in Stardust Crusaders.

While this is true, Joseph was in extraordinarily good shape for someone in their late 60s. Most people that old can't leap from building to building like it was nothing (nor can people my age but whatever)! I'd also point out that this is an anime we are watching. You know the medium where your average 80+ year old in an action series is a kung-fu master with super human abilities. All this is part of the reason for my "what happened to this guy?" reaction when we meet Part 4 Joseph. Part 3 Joseph wasn't a normal 60+ year old by any means.

I understand the concept of aging and what that can do to the mind. It's actually a somewhat pressing reality of life for my family as I fear that one of the smartest people I've ever met in my life is slowly losing their mind as they age (the husband of one my aunts). I guess that's the randomness of life though as I have family members who are older and still basically all there as well as people who have passed on and were still all there until the very last days.

Perhaps the fact I can somewhat relate this back to my life is the reason I might be catching a few feelings. I'm making myself sad so I'm going to stop talking now :/

Breads

Banned
Short spoiler about Joseph Joestar
He doesn't actually die in the Jojo canon. In the furthest point of the in-universe-setting he is still alive and in his 90s.

Nephtis

Oh my god that scene at the store, I can SO relate to it hahahahahaha

I went to get diapers for my cousin's baby and I was pretty overhelmed with all the choices they had.

cntr

Banned
He has kids?!!!! NANIIIIIIIIII!!!! I guess all mangakas, don't wind up like Miura.
iirc, he has two daughters

also:
Growing up, Araki assumed that he lived in a house without any snacks. In reality, his sisters would often eat all the snacks located in the house before he got home from school. Even when there were three snacks, one for each of them, the sisters would usually eat them all and proceed to conceal all evidence of having done so.

Madao

i'm still surprised about people being surprised about Joseph's decay between Part 3 and Part 4. did you guys forget he was dead for a few minutes in the fight with DIO? also had a knife to the neck and his blood sucked out and then put back in that time.

it's pretty amazing he recovered since most old people get wrecked by a fall at that age.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
  • The RHCP encounter was a disappointment. Here we have another long range Stand user who comes out into the open and makes themselves vulnerable to an ass-whoppin' who then proceeds to get their ass whooped :p
  • As the midseason boss I expected someone more calculating and intimidating that was connected to the larger plot (again I know he's not the final villian). Instead he's just some random theif who got his hands on the bow & arrow? Lame.
  • Why is this random person a guitarist? It feel like a gimmick more than a natural character. Was Araki afraid the character would be too boring otherwise? To be fair, due to just cultural osmosis, I knew the identity of RHCP's Stand Master and that he had a rock and roll motif but I didn't know much besides that. I thought perhaps the final encounter against him would be like at a stadium or something and they would lead into the music angle and make it really relevant. But nope?
  • Nothing about how RHCP works as a Stand makes sense. I thought it was similar to Iggy's Stand in being "made out of something" but then in this episode we see that when Crazy Diamond punches RHCP or when it falls in the water that damage is reflected on Akria. If that's so, how is the man still alive after what The Hand did to RHCP last episode? When RHCP dissolved in the ocean, how was Akira both injured but so uninjured that he could sneak onto a boat and not look like a wreck.
  • It wasn't made clear to me how they are keeping Akria in jail. Are we sure there are no sources of electricity around? I''m also not sure what Jotaro meant when he said RHCP was gone. A Stand can be destroyed while its master lives? I guess its not that big a deal but it feels weird and unexplained?
  • I have no real qualms with Joseph being old and mostly on the sidelines but there is a difference between old and senile - you can be one without the other. Like last week's episode was kind of depressing but this weeks episode was both funny and heartwarming (one of the better ones so far as there were a lot of real character moments). He's still old as hell but he's not absent. Putting aside my personal preferences, I don't think the Joseph of episode 12, as written, is so poignant and powerful as to be worth that loss of aptitude. I think you can keep the angle of "this is an old man past his time trying to build a relationship with his illegitimate son" without sending his mind and senses to the moon. I don't know how relevant Joseph is to the narrative moving forward but I'm hoping we see more of episode 13 Joseph than episode 12. Maybe I'm hoping up a tree though :p
While this is true, Joseph was in extraordinarily good shape for someone in their late 60s. Most people that old can't leap from building to building like it was nothing (nor can people my age but whatever)! I'd also point out that this is an anime we are watching. You know the medium where your average 80+ year old in an action series is a kung-fu master with super human abilities. All this is part of the reason for my "what happened to this guy?" reaction when we meet Part 4 Joseph. Part 3 Joseph wasn't a normal 60+ year old by any means.
Totally agreed on all counts man.

Growing up, Araki assumed that he lived in a house without any snacks. In reality, his sisters would often eat all the snacks located in the house before he got home from school. Even when there were three snacks, one for each of them, the sisters would usually eat them all and proceed to conceal all evidence of having done so.

What a terrifying Stand ability

cntr

Banned
the follow-up is kind of depressing:

When these doings came to light, a fight would erupt; and an event of this sort might occur on a daily basis. Araki would often feel such a sense of exclusion and ill-will towards his sisters that at times he felt averse to going home. He used to find relief in spending time alone in his room, reading classic manga from the '70s and his father's collection of art books, which Araki assumes informed his motive for drawing manga.

Next week is episode 14 and the begin of "Season 2" you could say so it would be interesting if we gonna see the new OP next week.

But i think they gonna wait until the main villain is introduced if the new OP is spoiler city.

Grexeno

Next week is episode 14 and the begin of "Season 2" you could say so it would be interesting if we gonna see the new OP next week.

But i think they gonna wait until the main villain is introduced if the new OP is spoiler city.

I feel like next week might be Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town still. They didn't do sound effects this past episode.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this random person a guitarist? It feel like a gimmick more than a natural character. Was Araki afraid the character would be too boring otherwise? To be fair, due to just cultural osmosis, I knew the identity of RHCP's Stand Master and that he had a rock and roll motif but I didn't know much besides that. I thought perhaps the final encounter against him would be like at a stadium or something and they would lead into the music angle and make it really relevant. But nope?

This is something that Araki tends to do, yeah. Plenty of minor antagonists have strange little quirks to make them memorable. Besides being an over the top rocker, there's not much else to Akira. He's a petty thief, a prick, sort of overconfident; essentially the usual minor villain characteristics that Araki often defaults to, especially in the earlier parts.

Nothing about how RHCP works as a Stand makes sense. I thought it was similar to Iggy's Stand in being "made out of something" but then in this episode we see that when Crazy Diamond punches RHCP or when it falls in the water that damage is reflected on Akria. If that's so, how is the man still alive after what The Hand did to RHCP last episode? When RHCP dissolved in the ocean, how was Akira both injured but so uninjured that he could sneak onto a boat and not look like a wreck.

RHCP wasn't completely destroyed though. You can clearly see it in a very mangled, de-powered state when Akira tries to kill Joseph on the boat. If it was fully annihilated, Akira probably would have died. The mangled appearance of the Stand isn't reflected on Akira when he's on land, his body just starts giving off smoke (evaporated sweat, i guess?), so the damage reflected isn't one-to-one. How Akira still managed to have the strength and stamina needed to get on the boat, though, doesn't make much logical sense outside of giving Okuyasu a second chance at defeating him. RHCP is an unorthodox Stand in general, too, its traits deviate from the usual long-range Stand.

It wasn't made clear to me how they are keeping Akria in jail. Are we sure there are no sources of electricity around? I''m also not sure what Jotaro meant when he said RHCP was gone. A Stand can be destroyed while its master lives? I guess its not that big a deal but it feels weird and unexplained?

Some stands can be destroyed without the Stand user dying, yeah. Look at the Surface, for example, Hazamada's Stand was completely destroyed (or at least the mannequin that it was using to manifest itself was destroyed), but he's still alive. RHCP is effectively broken, it's so damaged that it's almost impossible for Akira to use it. It wasn't explained if the extensive damage could be repaired using electricity, as it was during Okuyasu's fight with the Stand, so, for all intents and purposes, Akira is currently no longer a threat.

As for how Akira is being kept in jail, Jotaro said that he would murder him if he ever tried to break out, to which Akira responded by saying that he would be safer behind bars.

I understand the concept of aging and what that can do to the mind. It's actually a somewhat pressing reality of life for my family as I fear that one of the smartest people I've ever met in my life is slowly losing their mind as they age (the husband of one my aunts). I guess that's the randomness of life though as I have family members who are older and still basically all there as well as people who have passed on and were still all there until the very last days.

I was expecting the latest episode to hit close to home for me because my grandfather is going through some stuff of his own, but the episode managed to hit a lot harder than I expected.

RHCP power wise is written moment to moment.

Why didn't the Hand's swipe kill him? Because there was an electrical line right there, so I can believe that's why he survived.

The whole thing with Akira getting on the boat? Far fetched yes, but not impossible. Okuyasu needed the closure.

So were the rules bent for the sake of a gotcha moment? Sure. But it didn't bother me in the long run.

Not sure if I should ask this here but I just want a simple answer and don't want to get spoiled in the spoiler thread. I kinda want to read the manga, but I want to start with part 5 instead of continuing off of Part 4 so at least things in the anime will still be new to me, can I do that?

On Topic:
What was up with that Chef guy who was just kinda there then disappeared since, do you guys think he'll join the main cast? He's in the OP, but so is the girl with the hair stand.

Not sure if I should ask this here but I just want a simple answer and don't want to get spoiled in the spoiler thread. I kinda want to read the manga, but I want to start with part 5 instead of continuing off of Part 4 so at least things in the anime will still be new to me, can I do that?

Part 5's spoils a few small things from later part 4. If you're ok with that, go ahead.

Not Part 3's! Their hints were subtle.

So is Part 4's, aside from the ending dance.
Part 3s 2nd OP was probably the most well done, at least it didn't have a "put on Ceasars bandana" moment.

Closest thing to that is probably the logo turning to stone and blowing away

cntr

Banned
You can go to Part 5, but I don't recommend it.

...also, Part 5 has a awful English translation, and the new better translation is ongoing. It should be done by the time Part 4's anime ends. Part 5 depends on the character personalities to carry scenes, just like Part 4, which the bad translation happens to strip away, so...

Part 4 is the best as far as I'm concerned. People have listed some amazing moments from 3, and I can acknowledge them, but it just felt like a slog to me. I think it's mainly because Jotaro is terrible. As a main character. He's fine as a side one in 4, but Josuke blows all Jojo protags away for me so far.

See, I just don't "get" it yet. I don't have a real feel for Josuke yet. He doesn't have any of the weird quirks Jotaro had from the very first ep of Stardust (dissing his mom?? wtf??)

Josuke to me is like a high school student with a stand. It's pretty 2-dimensional at the moment.

Josuke "what the fuck did you say about my hair I'm going to punch through this woman to implant this knife in your stomach" Higashikata doesn't have any weird quirks?

Moaradin

Yeah that certainly is a character quirk lol. Maybe people forgot about it since not many people have been shit talking his hair lately?

I think I'll hold off on part 5 then if the translation really isn't that good yet and I heard terrible things about the part 4 original translation.

cntr

Banned
Part 4's original translation is better than Part 5's original translation. The DUWANGlish is funny, it tries to be accurate!

Part 5's translation was written by someone who spoke English, but not Japanese. Without getting into spoilers, he straight up rewrote lines or left them out if he couldn't figure out what the Japanese was saying, and obviously he had no idea of how speaking styles and nuance work in Japanese

sinxtanx

Joseph pretty accurately mirrors my grandpa

18 yrs: a fucking legend

68 yrs: highly active, in good shape

79 yrs: senile husk

ageing's a hell of a drug

Part 4's original translation is better than Part 5's original translation. The DUWANGlish is funny, it tries to be accurate!

Part 5's translation was written by someone who spoke English, but not Japanese. Without getting into spoilers, he straight up rewrote lines or left them out if he couldn't figure out what the Japanese was saying, and obviously he had no idea of how speaking styles and nuance work in Japanese
How are non Japanese speakers up to like part 8 if the translations are like this lmao. Maybe this is the reason people complain that some future stands make no sense.

Keep in mind I'm only watching the anime, so I don't know how Part 4 will turn out or exactly how the future parts are, but am I the only one who as of right now thinks Part 2 is the best? Don't get me wrong I like Part 3 and I'm enjoying Part 4, but I really liked 2.

cntr

Banned
Part 6 to 8 have great English translations, it's not an issue.

All Jojo parts have official translations in Europe, specifically Italy, and Part 5 happens to be a popular part in Japan and Europe, when it's the most hated in English Jojo fandom.

which should say a lot of how bad the translation is (ask details in the manga thread not here)

Top Bottom