• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

OK so I recently finished Stone Ocean and have read the first four volumes of Steel Ball Run and man, I'm pretty conflicted.

Spoiler alert if you haven't read the first 6 parts

Parts 1 - 3 and most of part 4 and 5 were all pretty concrete, with some abstract moments and the end encounters in parts 4 and 5 getting really abstract. Then part 6 kicks off and I'm loving it, Jolyne is an awesome lead and I might even like her more than Jotaro

But part 6 leads up to a total mindfuck ending. Absolutely all over the place. "Oh I got a super power and accelerated time until everyone died and time started over, but oh Emporio is still here, ugh I'm dead now time reset"

Is this supposed to be the final final conclusion of the parts 1 - 6? Are all those characters really gone (or reborn or w/e)? : / I wanted to see more of Giorno's story, what ever happened to the invisible baby?! What is Josuke doing? The unresolved plot lines are killing me

When I started reading Steel Ball Run, I hadn't seen the point that it was supposed to be an alternate reality spin-off type deal, and apparently part 8 is like this too? So I'm seeing these characters and trying to map them to the family tree from part 3, and I'm thinking uh maybe this is the 1890s in the reset universe? I mean, Steel Ball Run is good so far, but it's kind of frustrating and disappointing to see the part 1 - 6 story kind of abandoned. Bleh.

OK so I recently finished Stone Ocean and have read the first four volumes of Steel Ball Run and man, I'm pretty conflicted.

Parts 1 - 3 and most of part 4 and 5 were all pretty concrete, with some abstract moments and the end encounters in parts 4 and 5 getting really abstract. Then part 6 kicks off and I'm loving it, Jolyne is an awesome lead and I might even like her more than Jotaro

But part 6 leads up to a total mindfuck ending. Absolutely all over the place. "Oh I got a super power and accelerated time until everyone died and time started over, but oh Emporio is still here, ugh I'm dead now time reset"

Is this supposed to be the final final conclusion of the parts 1 - 6? Are all those characters really gone (or reborn or w/e)? : / I wanted to see more of Giorno's story, what ever happened to the invisible baby?! What is Josuke doing? The unresolved plot lines are killing me

When I started reading Steel Ball Run, I hadn't seen the point that it was supposed to be an alternate reality spin-off type deal, and apparently part 8 is like this too? So I'm seeing these characters and trying to map them to the family tree from part 3, and I'm thinking uh maybe this is the 1890s in the reset universe? I mean, Steel Ball Run is good so far, but it's kind of frustrating and disappointing to see the part 1 - 6 story kind of abandoned. Bleh.

Part 6's ending is a hard reset. Parts 1-6 and 7-8 canon are different. The universe at the end of Part 6 isn't even the SBRverse. SBR is a reboot.

It was for the better. By the end of Part 6 you can tell Araki was getting burned out a bit. He was just throwing out what were probably scrapped ideas, doing whatever the hell crazy shit he wanted (I consider this both as positive and a negative, but I love Stone Ocean overall).

Part 7 wasn't really labeled as a JoJo part for a while into its run, but it having a pseudo fresh slate was the best thing for it along with going monthly Seinen, as it has some of the best writing in the series (President Valentine's Napkin speech is great). And the Johnny+Gyro dynamic is very strong.

Part 8 is a direct continuation from Part 7.

Matsukaze

Although it can probably (though superficially) be summed up as "Well, that escalated quickly!", Stone Ocean's endgame is my favorite. Of all the parts, Part 6 had me the most emotionally invested and the pay-off, no matter how bittersweet, was welcome in a way.

And I wouldn't say the original universe was abandoned. Araki felt he had said everything he needed to say. Sure, there were all sorts of possible stories Araki could have explored but he must have felt he had to start fresh for his own sake as a writer.

ampere

Part 6's ending is a hard reset. Parts 1-6 and 7-8 canon are different. The universe at the end of Part 6 isn't even the SBRverse. SBR is a reboot.

Gotcha

It was for the better. By the end of Part 6 you can tell Araki was getting burned out a bit. He was just throwing out what were probably scrapped ideas, doing whatever the hell crazy shit he wanted (I consider this both as positive and a negative, but I love Stone Ocean overall).

Part 7 wasn't really labeled as a JoJo part for a while into its run, but it having a pseudo fresh slate was the best thing for it along with going monthly Seinen, as it has some of the best writing in the series (President Valentine's Napkin speech is great). And the Johnny+Gyro dynamic is very strong.

Part 8 is a direct continuation from Part 7.

I guess I just had different expectations for the series and wasn't ready for the story to end. I'm still enjoying SBR, but it feels like my favorite show just got canceled or something.

Gotcha

I guess I just had different expectations for the series and wasn't ready for the story to end. I'm still enjoying SBR, but it feels like my favorite show just got canceled or something.

You'll definitely feel different by the time you finish SBR. Or even before then. Shit's strong as fuck, probably the best JoJo part (I waffle between 4 and 7, it depends on the day I guess).

Then you'll get to JoJolion and realize Araki hadn't even released his true Bizarre powers until then.

Squishy3

Gotcha

Yeah, just give it time. SBR has a hump to get over, but once it kicks into high gear... Hoo boy.

Squishy3

well i mean even if he never intended it to be jojo from the very beginning you've got:

johnny joestar
gyro zeppeli
diego brando
speedwagon foundation

cntr

Banned
well i mean even if he never intended it to be jojo from the very beginning you've got:

johnny joestar
gyro zeppeli
diego brando
speedwagon foundation
Also Avdol and Stroheim as background characters, Enyaba advising Pocoloco, Mountain Tim being so Speedwagon that he has the same scar...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speedwagon was still in the SBR timeline though, in one of the first chapters they mentioned the Speedwagon Oil Company who helped fund the race.

Presumably in both time lines Speedwagon struck rich in America, but only one of them had him exposed to the mystical side of life.

Matsukaze

Anyone get the feeling Araki got super into Christianity from the end of part 5 onwards?
I read it more as a satire of Christianity, to be honest. Pucci the zealot is so determined to attain Heaven that he literally brings about the end of the universe to reshape it into a form more pleasing to his beliefs, while Funny Valentine... oh I guess I should spoiler this part...
uses Jesus as a weapon to keep himself safe, consequences be damned, no matter how much suffering this visits on the "others" who bite the bullet in his place

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Jojo is one of the only manga that doesn't do the Crystal Dragon Jesus thing, it's weird.

Araki's always been about accuracy with foreign things since Part 3, though.

I like to interpret Giorno as a christ figure, given his origin, demeanor, powers and his story arc.

I know there's no concrete evidence but it's how I always saw it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes... accuracy...
1338621070705.jpg

Yeah, Jojo is one of the only manga that doesn't do the Crystal Dragon Jesus thing, it's weird.

Araki's always been about accuracy with foreign things since Part 3, though.
I mean, when you think about what the ripple allows Jonathan and Joseph to do; healing people, repels undead monsters, lets them walk on water. It's more implicit but Jonathan gets pretty close.

cntr

Banned
...well, Jesus did create the Spin in the SBR-verse, so maybe he created the Ripple in the main-verse.

But that's dumb.

Do new Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan take place before or after part 6? The technology is modern, so wouldn't that imply that Rohan is alive and well in the Ireneverse?

Nottle

Yeah. Mountain Tim just looks cool, hits on a child, then dies.
If we are talking about what they actually do personally to help out Speedwagon brings cops to help shoot Dio (which makes things worse), helps Johnathan recover, then sits back maybe hits a few zombies and finally the mask with a sledgehammer. Then he works with Nazis to fight the pillarmen.

Mountain Tim rescues Johnny and Gyro, helps fight Boom Boom family, helps fight Oyeconova, rescues Lucy, and then sort of almost kills Blackmore but Blackmore is sort of OP when it's raining.

Ultimately Speedwagon starts the Speedwagon foundation which possibly makes him the most advantageous ally the Joestars ever had. But in life he was sort of a coward and not incredibly useful in part 1. I love him anyways but Mountain Tim is the kind of guy I rather have helping out in a big dumb manga fight.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Blackmore's power made zero fucking sense.

From what I remember, it's just rain manipulation. He can stop rain in midair and walk on top of it, while others get sliced by it. He can heal himself with the rain, and he can use the rain like miniature portals to transport parts of his body.

Squishy3

If we are talking about what they actually do personally to help out Speedwagon brings cops to help shoot Dio (which makes things worse), helps Johnathan recover, then sits back maybe hits a few zombies and finally the mask with a sledgehammer. Then he works with Nazis to fight the pillarmen.

Mountain Tim rescues Johnny and Gyro, helps fight Boom Boom family, helps fight Oyeconova, rescues Lucy, and then sort of almost kills Blackmore but Blackmore is sort of OP when it's raining.

Ultimately Speedwagon starts the Speedwagon foundation which possibly makes him the most advantageous ally the Joestars ever had. But in life he was sort of a coward and not incredibly useful in part 1. I love him anyways but Mountain Tim is the kind of guy I rather have helping out in a big dumb manga fight.
You forgot his most important act:

tumblr_n9t9pcOxfn1rwlf4vo1_500.gif

Speedwagon > Mountain Tim

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love stardust man appears. Omfg. That is the song I've wanted to listen since the longest. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom