• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker 2: Folie à Deux Trailer Drops Tonight

FunkMiller

I read something to that effect. Something about him making the movie a specific way to get at the incels that 'idolized' the character and related to it.
If so? That's so fucking petty. Imagine shitting on your career, after riding on it's high? This person deserves continuous flops, after this.

So, he's so fragile of ego and backbone that he'd let what turned out to be a very small minority of idiots influence his movie so heavily?

I can certainly believe that. If there's one thing that marks out so many 'creatives' in the movie industry these days it's how spineless they are, and how easily they'll capitulate to the whims of a vocal minority.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
So, he's so fragile of ego and backbone that he'd let what turned out to be a very small minority of idiots influence his movie so heavily?

I can certainly believe that. If there's one thing that marks out so many 'creatives' in the movie industry these days it's how spineless they are, and how easily they'll capitulate to the whims of a vocal minority.
Man, I read this first, but look at the two posts below this... Shit..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didnt watch the first movie but it made a ton of movie and got good reviews.

Didnt read the plot of this movie but went right to the wiki receptions section skimming it got shit reviews.

I never knew this movie had music scenes. But no surprised. Lady Gaga is in it and probably sings for half an hour promoting her singing career.

SantaBanana

Didnt watch the first movie but it made a ton of movie and got good reviews.

Didnt read the plot of this movie but went right to the wiki receptions section skimming it got shit reviews.

I never knew this movie had music scenes. But no surprised. Lady Gaga is in it and probably sings for half an hour promoting her singing career.
There's lots of singing and 95% of it is for absolutely nothing. Phillips said music was used in this film to dive directly into the mind of the joker but that was just B.S. It serves absolutely no purpose at all.

What a clusterfuck

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I liked the first. Was sort of a ripoff of Taxi Driver but in a good way.

When I read this would be a musical it at lease piqued my interest because the fact they were making a sequel seemed like a terrible idea.

Reading this I would say hard pass for me.

Power Pro

If you dont mind spoilers, this is EXACTLY how I feel about this movie:

Looks I wasn't alone in thinking of bailing out on this turd lol

Pretty much agree with this completely.

Like I said in my last post, decided to see it even after knowing spoilers cuz I like getting my own opinion. I will say, I think the performances are still great. Phoenix and Gaga are both great in it, as is the supporting cast...but man. Every thing else is not good. The script, the pacing, the editing...It has nothing to tell. It's a complete destruction of the first movie it feels like. They hated that they made a good movie with the first one, and said "fuck, we gotta make people hate it actually" The first film felt like it was showing Arthur become someone who would no longer be abused by those around him, and take control, but this movie is just the complete opposite, and shows him being beaten back down into nothing.

This stupid idea because "incels" or whatever related to him being a bad thing is so fucking idiotic. How could they not see that some people would relate to Arthur in the first movie? He's set up as this guy who does terrible things, but they write it in the film where you could see it justified to a point from his point of view because of how poorly he's treated. Sure he's obviously mentally ill because he's disassociated with reality in a number of ways, but it is because of how he was treated. I always thought the film was trying to set up that people like the Waynes are just as bad to people down below, and they were fighting upward because the elite were cruel to those at the bottom. People like the Joker made Bruce Wayne become Batman, but people like Thomas Wayne made people like Arthur become the Joker. I thought that that's what it was telling the audience. They wrote the film making him empathetic, and showing why he would snap and become the Joker.

Guess I gotta tag spoilers

One thing I don't entirely hate and not mind about how he's not the "real" Joker, so setting up that someone else is, is not the worst idea. While I think the first one was a good movie, it never really felt like Arthur Fleck was the Joker that we think of. In almost every iteration I can think of, the Joker is usually actually funny in a morbid way. Arthur never was, and was always kinda pathetic and completely damaged. It was a well told story in the first movie about a character who dressed like a clown, but never really seemed like a person who could be Batman's arch-enemy.

Anyway, yeah...fuck this movie. Wish I had seen Beetlejuice a second time instead.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's getting trashed everywhere, haven't read a single positive reaction.

Insane fumble. Either that or deliberate so Todd Philips isn't stuck making Joker films for 10 years.

FUBARx89

7xkMTVl.jpeg

The leaks. Wow.

Isn't this the last DC film before Gunn's new universe? Sure he said he only gave them notes because it was started with WB before he joined on.

Thaedolus

I don’t really hate the idea that he’s not the Joker that goes on to be Batman’s nemesis…the first movie has him inspiring all sorts of people to mimic him, right? But it sounds like it’s implied he wasn’t the guy doing all the shit he did in the first movie? I hate that kind of twist. That’s like MGSV level of dumb twist imo. And it’s a musical? Ugh

I finally watched the first movie on a plane a couple months ago and it’s great, but yeah this sounds like a total fumble after that.

SantaBanana

This stupid idea because "incels" or whatever related to him being a bad thing is so fucking idiotic. How could they not see that some people would relate to Arthur in the first movie? He's set up as this guy who does terrible things, but they write it in the film where you could see it justified to a point from his point of view because of how poorly he's treated. Sure he's obviously mentally ill because he's disassociated with reality in a number of ways, but it is because of how he was treated. I always thought the film was trying to set up that people like the Waynes are just as bad to people down below, and they were fighting upward because the elite were cruel to those at the bottom. People like the Joker made Bruce Wayne become Batman, but people like Thomas Wayne made people like Arthur become the Joker. I thought that that's what it was telling the audience. They wrote the film making him empathetic, and showing why he would snap and become the Joker.
The first movie was absolutely brilliant. It portrayed mental illness like no other movie with Joaquin's performance. They way he portrayed depression in that movie was peak acting. The famous stairs scene just resumed depression flawlessly, with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

It also portrayed problems of the society in trying to get help and the system completely failing. People in power being bullies etc..

But no, they had to destroy all of that because of a very small cringe part of fans of the movie.

But oh well, what could we expect from Phillips who cancelled his Hulk Hogan biopic for political reasons.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Just happened to sail for a bit at work.
Do the movie really begin with a looney toons cartoon ??
I cannot wait to watch the trainwreck

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I find it amazing that after all the Batman related content out there, the Fox Kids cartoon BTAS is still the best for me. Bale movies were good too (first two solid, last one meh). Ya there's some shitty episodes and they screwed up cheaping out on art in the final season, but holistically, I still think BTAS is the best content out there. Joker, Riddler, Clock King, Scarecrow, Lock Up, the evil ninja dude etc... awesome stuff. One of my fav episodes is the mental dude who thinks he's fucking Zeus with a lightning rod.

Alebrije

I Will pass , firsth one was very good. And won't spoil that feeling watching this one.

If You want to watch a good movie this weekend go see
The-Substance-2024-body-horror.jpg

Last edited:

Saiyu

The first movie was absolutely brilliant. It portrayed mental illness like no other movie with Joaquin's performance. They way he portrayed depression in that movie was peak acting. The famous stairs scene just resumed depression flawlessly, with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

It also portrayed problems of the society in trying to get help and the system completely failing. People in power being bullies etc..

But no, they had to destroy all of that because of a very small cringe part of fans of the movie.

But oh well, what could we expect from Phillips who cancelled his Hulk Hogan biopic for political reasons.
I thought the first movie's story was ok but the depiction of mental illness, access to services and a society on the brink was one of the best I've seen.

Psychiatric services in the NHS now are positively dystopian and this made me think of the situation for so many patients even if it wasn't set in the UK.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Where did he ever say this?

And he also never said he made Joker 2 as some fuck you to Arthur’s fans or incels.

The way people just run with narratives around here is crazy.

Here’s Todd complaining about woke culture:

You think this guy is some super political liberal or something? Like he’s not some pro-Trump guy but he seems pretty even keeled and not wanting to be too political.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I find it amazing that after all the Batman related content out there, the Fox Kids cartoon BTAS is still the best for me. Bale movies were good too (first two solid, last one meh). Ya there's some shitty episodes and they screwed up cheaping out on art in the final season, but holistically, I still think BTAS is the best content out there. Joker, Riddler, Clock King, Scarecrow, Lock Up, the evil ninja dude etc... awesome stuff. One of my fav episodes is the mental dude who thinks he's fucking Zeus with a lightning rod.

BTAS was a kids show that struck a perfect balance between goofy and serious. It often dealt with very mature subjects, and always in a respectful way. It is as enjoyable to watch at 35 as it is when you're 10.

I'd consider BTAS, some of the animated movies like Batman Returns and Long Halloween, and the Arkham games lightyears ahead of any of the movies. Matt Reeves got pretty far and pretty much nailed the atmosphere but the movie is dreadfully boring and thinks it's way smarter than it actually is which is a huge downer.

Last edited:

Trilobit

It's quite fascinating how the creatives of Hollywood can be so incredibly ideological that they willingly make a sequel for close to $200 million that only serves to spite those who liked the first movie a bit too much. I wonder how much thought they put into it being entertaining or fitting with the first movie. I also wonder what Warner Bros are thinking right now. I liked the first one as a character study of proto-Joker and couldn't care less about people idealizing him for some reason, but it does peeve me that the creators became obsessed by those fans.

My feelings right now:

batman-bat-man.gif

SantaBanana

Where did he ever say this?
Republican convention was in July with Hogan's speech.

In August it was cancelled and he said: "I love what we were trying to do, but that’s not going to come together for me.”

You can try to spin it however you want but the reasons are clear.

And this will be the last of it because I know politics are a big no here.

Hoo boy I knew the sequel is gonna be mid from the moment it went chasing after La La Land. But these reactions on socmed made me cancel plans seeing it and wait for streaming.

IntentionalPun

Republican convention was in July with Hogan's speech.

In August it was cancelled and he said: "I love what we were trying to do, but that’s not going to come together for me.”

You can try to spin it however you want but the reasons are clear.

And this will be the last of it because I know politics are a big no here.
Film was delayed, funding was dropped by Netflix, the movie never had a real screenplay.. Hemsworth never officially signed on, etc.

Movie was in "development hell" because of COVID and strikes and Todd Philips only confirmed it wasn't happening in August, that doesn't mean that's when it was "cancelled." The movie was already effectively cancelled last year when Netflix dropped out.

Whether politics affected a movie being made isn't off limits here BTW, as we aren't arguing politics lol

This entire thread is just running with narratives without real evidence. Philips likes taking big risks and likes mixing things up for sequels (considering the tonal shift of Hangover). That's far more likely than some weird theory he made the movie to piss off some small portion of Joker 1's fanbase. Everyone is pissed off at Joker 2 lol Everyone also thought Hangover 2 sucked and was weird, it's pretty doubtful Philips made that movie to piss off fans of The Hangover lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Hangover 2 was still Hangover. It's the third one that went full "fuck you".
Joker 2: More Joker would be free money. Instead, they're pissing away millions to own incels or something.
Hangover 2 was incredibly grim almost from start to finish with very little comedy lol.

Either way sometimes people just make shitty sequels, why people think there has to be some conspiracy against the audience is beyond me.

Hell the people repeating that in here haven’t seem to have even watched the film.

SJRB

Gold Member
I mean it really did seem like the director was ordered to make a sequel and said:

“I’m going to make sure these people never want a sequel from me again.”

So it's like The Matrix Revolutions which almost verbatim spells out that it was a needless, terrible idea and nobody except the studio wanted it to happen?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Either way sometimes people just make shitty sequels, why people think there has to be some conspiracy against the audience is beyond me.

I think it’s certainly true to suggest that Phillips wanted to make a sequel that undermined the first movie, but he’s not really given a clear reason as to why as yet. I do believe it’s quite possible that the idiotic opinions of a vocal minority on social media can have a disproportionate effect on spineless movie executives though, because we’ve seen it happen before.

My main takeaway is that if you don’t want the audience to sympathise with your version of The Joker then don’t write him sympathetic in the first fucking place Todd, you fucking hack 😂

As someone with a potentially marriage-ending amount of Batman comics in my basement dating back to the 50s, I will enthusiastically co-sign this opinion.

Looking back, it really was lightning in a bottle to bring all those people together and make BTAS. Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Paul Dini, Shirley Walker and a bunch of others were just magic together. I really don't think we'll see something quite like it again.

Top Bottom