• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker 2: Folie à Deux Trailer Drops Tonight

Ulysses 31

The more I read about this movie, the more I get the impression it was made to "spite the incels" who looked up to Arthur in the first movie. That and the director selling out to make a sequel to a one off movie.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The more I read about this movie, the more I get the impression it was made to "spite the incels" who looked up to Arthur in the first movie. That and the director selling out to make a sequel to a one off movie.
Arthur is a creepy stalker turned murderer in the first movie.

Ulysses 31

I don’t understand how, after becoming that by the end of the movie, anyone should be considered “spited” by the sequel?
If people were in some form rooting for Joker after all he'd been through then the sequel turns him back into the "pathetic" Arthur again for big chunks of the movie to the point he becomes a disappointment to those around him and gets dealt with accordingly.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If people were in some form rooting for Joker after all he'd been through then the sequel turns him back into the "pathetic" Arthur again for big chunks of the movie to the point he becomes a disappointment to those around him and gets dealt with accordingly.
It just seems like the most obvious expectation would be for Arthur, the murderous stalker, to not be shown in a positive light in the sequel. I don't think the director has to have some disdain for the few weird people rooting for a psychopathic murderer to have the story end up how it did, and certainly dont' think that would actually motivate someone to make a $200 million budget movie lol

Philips just isn't a great director in the end.. he's made mostly slop, so Joker 2 ending up slop is hardly surprising.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
If you guys want a laugh spoil yourselves on the ending:

He never actually was The Joker. The real one kills him in the final scene.

Well damn

jared leto joker GIF

FunkMiller

Spoil it for me please. Couldn't stand the first movie either 👀

Arthur isn't The Joker. He's killed by the actual Joker at the end of the movie... and it's hinted very strongly that this is somehow meant to be Heath's Joker, because he gives himself the iconic Glasgow Smile Heath has in The Dark Knight with the knife he kills Arthur with.

Fucking idiotic doesn't begin to cover it.

EDIT: Ha ha ha! It gets worse! Apparently

It's also strongly implied that Arthur didn't commit any of the violence seen in the first film, and that it was in fact this other Joker the entire time, while he imagined it was him. He really is just a sad sack little loser :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

So glad I didn't waste my time on this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Arthur isn't The Joker. He's killed by the actual Joker at the end of the movie... and it's hinted very strongly that this is somehow meant to be Heath's Joker, because he gives himself the iconic Glasgow Smile Heath has in The Dark Knight with the knife he kills Arthur with.

It's also strongly implied that Arthur didn't commit any of the violence seen in the first film, and that it was in fact this other Joker the entire time, while he imagined it was him. He really is just a sad sack little loser :messenger_tears_of_joy:

God I hated the first movie so much and the fact that they disrespected Heath Ledger version is terrible and makes me mad

Now I feel vindicated about the first movie being complete dogshit and proves that the director can't write a good script. It was cringe and predictable, this sequel just seems to be more of the same but even more pretentious. Seeing Lady GaGa doing the finger gun to head scene made me roll my eyes so much. I pretty much noped out when I saw that scene in a preview

The Batman and The Penguin are so much better than those two piles of shit

Last edited:
so who's playing this

real joker ?

Also how does Harley

not know he's not the 'real joker' if he was imagining himself in the place of the actual joker'

Last edited:

FunkMiller

so who's playing this

real joker ?

Also how does Harley

not know he's not the 'real joker' if he was imagining himself in the place of the actual joker'

The 'real' Joker is another inmate at Arkham. Who may - or may not - have been responsible for all the things we thought Arthur did in the first film. It's unclear. He pops up a couple of times during the film.

As for Harley, she does think Arthur is the Joker, but turns on him when he renounces it, I believe. The whole movie is basically one long exercise in telling the audience that Arthur isn't, and never was, The Joker.

Last edited:

what the fuck, I mean, it's no doubt a twist I did not see it coming but at the same time it makes the entire movie pointless. Clearly this was done on purpose to piss off the people who liked the first one. What a fucking idiot.

RAÏSanÏa

As a film that was intentionally made to comment on fan culture, the unnerved reactions are fascinating to those on the outside.

After SS, Ledger's Joker was portrayed by fans killing the Leto version. Seeing it happen to a Joker, but not as headcannoned, and the fan reaction to it is enlightening as metacommentary on fan behavior..

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie and more reviews that claim they're not mad then rant angrily.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Feels like Todd made this movie terrible on purpose so it would be a box office flop and he never got to work on it again ever

Last edited:

Trilobit

what the fuck, I mean, it's no doubt a twist I did not see it coming but at the same time it makes the entire movie pointless. Clearly this was done on purpose to piss off the people who liked the first one. What a fucking idiot.

It seems to be so. The creator didn't like that the wrong people loved the first movie so he had to make this one as a reaction to it. I hate when creators get obsessed with their fans or different fans. Like how the She-Hulk show was obsessed with "triggering" a group of fans they didn't like.

NickFire

Was looking forward to this while expecting critical praise with a mixed audience score because of the musical elements. I've read enough to wait for streaming on this one.

It seems to be so. The creator didn't like that the wrong people loved the first movie so he had to make this one as a reaction to it. I hate when creators get obsessed with their fans or different fans. Like how the She-Hulk show was obsessed with "triggering" a group of fans they didn't like.
I guess studios should really start to throw away writers or directors who pull the stunts like that, without being able to work in movie industry anymore. When they finally feel the consequences they will start making good movies instead.

Just watched it in imax
Pretentious courtroom drama musical trash, even the musical planet in the marvels was better than this horseshit
They switched the dynamic between harley and joker, but it's not interesting at all because it goes nowhere.

Seems like the whole thing was just a setup for the birth of the "real" joker right at the end.

It feels the whole thing was tailored around having a singer as one of the leads, but she was just distracting me with her botox filled fish lips.

Power Pro

I really don't understand the hate for Lady Gaga I keep reading in this thread. I don't hate her, but I don't love her. I think she's just a talented artist, and respect what she does. She seems like a decent person otherwise, but all the hate on her is so confusing.

Even after being unable to resist the spoilers in this thread, I still might go see it this afternoon to get my own opinion on it.

Fbh

Lol did they get M. Night Shyamalan as a guest writer for this?

FunkMiller

This movie sucks it seems for two main reasons: one, the filmmakers were absolutely desperate to distance themselves from any perceived alt right behaviour from a very small minority of people who liked the first one, and two: because the first movie should have existed as a standalone, and this was only made out of pure, mindless greed.

If you don't know what the hell to do with your version of The Joker, just change it so it was
never The Joker in the first place - rendering the entire stupid fucking project utterly redundant.

Warner Bros continues to be run by a collection of shaved, cocaine fuelled monkeys. We should be concentrating on Reeves's second Batman film with Keoghan's Joker, not this sad, pathetic little excuse for a franchise, that's now been robbed of whatever power and interest it once had.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Feels like Todd made this movie terrible on purpose so it would be a box office flop and he never got to work on it again ever
I read something to that effect. Something about him making the movie a specific way to get at the incels that 'idolized' the character and related to it.
If so? That's so fucking petty. Imagine shitting on your career, after riding on it's high? This person deserves continuous flops, after this.

Top Bottom