• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I love Norm.

He would be a fucking terrible host. Plus, as someone who follows him on Twitter, I can attest to the fact that I'm pretty sure he's actually senile now.

E01a3Lj.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
I got the impression that he was retiring soon during one of the recent episodes.

Didn't expect it to be this year, though.

kewlmyc

Seriously!? Both Steward and Colbert within a month of each other? I like Larry Wilmore, but he's not really cutting it right now. Ugh...

megamerican

I'm ready for a new host. Used to love Jon back in the day, but he has become a parody of himself. Been relying too much on the dumb faces / voices schtick the past few years.

dLMN8R

Wow, this is crazy.

I've watched every single episode of The Daily Show for ~10+ years. Every single one. I'd always make sure to keep up whether live, the next day, at the gym, or wherever else.

I also watched every single episode of The Colbert Report so that was a huge hole after Colbert stepped down.

Here's hoping to an amazing Late Show with Colbert, and whatever Jon moves onto next.

Foggy

I think the core of writers could make it work without Stewart, but nobody touches Stewart when it comes to the interviews. Bums me the fuck out, but homeboy's not a spring chicken so it was bound to happen sooner or later. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I guess he couldn't bear dealing with another election cycle.

It's been a great run, I wonder if they'll try to have someone step in and directly fill his shoes, or if they build a new show for the timeslot.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Larry did joke about his show being an hour long...
It would make sense with his panel format. I would be okay with becoming an hour long, but not at the expense of Stewart. I honestly thought we still had a good 5-6 years left of him. This is rough.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Lame, Colbert leaving wasn't a big deal. His thing was already pretty tired by the end, only really saved by his style of humor but the premise was done... Stewart on the other hand WAS the Daily Show. He can't really be replaced.. not with it being the same show. It worked because it was him.

It was a good run though.

nai

Well shit...
The Daily Show has been one of the best shows on American television for me. Too bad that John Olivers show only airs once a week.

Apt101

I'm surprised he didn't leave earlier to spend more time with his family. He is already a living legend among satirists and comics, and has been earning something like $15 million a year for a while.

It's going to suck without him on television though. He cut straight through bullshit like no one else.

I guess he couldn't bear dealing with another election cycle.

It's been a great run, I wonder if they'll try to have someone step in and directly fill his shoes, or if they build a new show for the timeslot.

Stewart basically morphed Daily Show into what it became pretty quickly after taking over for Kilborn, didn't he? I'd imagine the same thing will happen when whoever it is they get (W. Kamau Bell) comes on.

This is depressing. We're going to lose two of the greatest American satirists within the span of 12 months. That's such a bummer. They were up there with Mark Twain.

I wonder if Stewart will do more movies now. I was surprised that Rosewater didn't expand into many theaters and seemingly lost money. I have a spot in my heart for the hope he makes a contemporary "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", but I don't think it'll ever happen.

What a sad day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom