• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-correct wrecking this thread lol. Jon Steward all over.

The Brian Williams thing is a joke, friends.

I remember when Craig Kilborn got the boot and on his inaugural week of hosting the Late Late Show, was making jokes about how the Daily Show wouldn't last without him as host.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yea, wasn't expecting this, maybe Jason Jones will take over.

Jason Jones practically plays a character on the show. His show would look more like The Colber Report, I guess.

At least last week tonight is still a thing. I need those satirical news drugs to keep flowing. Seriously though, end of a fucking era.

Colbert and Stewart are gone?

How many goats should I sacrifice so we get double trouble hosts for the late night talk show

Late Night with Colbert and Stewart

kirby_fox

Banned
I was wondering about this when Colbert left. I figured his time there was just as limited. I expect @midnight to be cancelled at some point now shortly.

iMax

This is depressing. We're going to lose two of the greatest American satirists within the span of 12 months. That's such a bummer. They were up there with Mark Twain.

I wonder if Stewart will do more movies now. I was surprised that Rosewater didn't expand into many theaters and seemingly lost money. I have a spot in my heart for the hope he makes a contemporary "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", but I don't think it'll ever happen.

What a sad day...

Dude, they're not dying.

Nibel

g02jscH.png

Jonm1010

Banned
Man I don't understand the people saying they aren't surprised. I am actually shocked. I really kind of thought he would carry this on for another decade.

I always thought he sort of made sure they took enough time off and stuff that he and his staff wouldn't get burned out but I guess I never realized just how long he's been on air.

Really hope he goes on to bigger and better things and doesn't just retire altogether.

Keasar

No! :(

God why no. :(

I have watched The Daily Show actively for the past 8-10 years since I discovered it. Even today I find it just as great and funny.

I don't want to see him leave just yet. :(

Eh it's about time I'd say. The recent correspondents have been lacking (especially Jessica), with the exception of the South African dude.

Fusebox

Banned
Welp, no TDS and no Colbert, time to throw my TV out in the trash it's useless now.

Eh it's about time I'd say. The recent correspondents have been lacking (especially Jessica), with the exception of the South African dude.

Who's the South African dude?

Jessica had a much better start than Jordan did, I think she's terrific and she meets my requirement of 'anyone but Schaal for gods sake'.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This is depressing. We're going to lose two of the greatest American satirists within the span of 12 months. That's such a bummer. They were up there with Mark Twain.

I wonder if Stewart will do more movies now. I was surprised that Rosewater didn't expand into many theaters and seemingly lost money. I have a spot in my heart for the hope he makes a contemporary "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", but I don't think it'll ever happen.

What a sad day...

That would make for an amazing film if done with the right amount of dark satire.

jtb

Banned
Are Comedy Central cutting costs or what?

I doubt it. 10, 15 years (respectively) is a long time. I guess the writing was on the wall with Stewart's new film. He wants to do new things. Good for him. Doesn't mean I won't miss him on the Daily Show.

tbm24

Now where I'm going to get the news presented in the best way now? Sigh, the years have been good with him around. Gonna miss them.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It was written on the wall. There was a section on Comedians in Cars where he basically said that he was ready to go at any moment. TDS is too topical to be relevant as a legacy.

RIP comedy central

Raxus

This day was going so well too.

Fuck :( He leaves mighty big shoes to fill. Shame John Oliver can no longer take his place now he has a comfy position at HBO.

Jonm1010

Banned
I doubt it. 10, 15 years (respectively) is a long time. I guess the writing was on the wall with Stewart's new film. He wants to do new things. Good for him. Doesn't mean I won't miss him on the Daily Show.
I guess that was the cue but I kind of just took it as Stewart was going to slowly take a more backseat approach. Taking extended breaks every year or other year to pursue new projects. Allowing the show to sort of take on new identities from time to time like with Oliver at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom