• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, John Oliver has not only picked up the satiric news show idea, he's surpassed Jon Stewart in so many ways. So Jon leaving isn't the end of the world.

On the other hand, fuck, this sucks. I wish he'd stuck around for another two years and finished on a high note with one last election.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It should be Sam Bee and Jason Jones as co-anchors. A married Canadian couple anchoring a nightly news desk? It could get so silly so fast.

All of Conan's 11-12 competitors on cable have now disappeared: Stewart, Colbert, Chelsea Lately. Is that time slot on cable bad for ratings or something?

jtb

Banned
I wonder if Comedy Central will throw money to get John Oliver to come back after he completes one season with HBO

All of Conan's 11-12 competitors on cable have now disappeared: Stewart, Colbert, Chelsea Lately. Is that time slot on cable bad for ratings or something?

it's not like any of the three were cancelled. especially Stewart and Colbert.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow. Within a year of Colbert. Shame, but I can't really blame him he's been on the air for a long time and deserves the retirement from constantly mocking politics.

Dartastic

It is?

I'm not aware of these problems.
You don't think that part of the reason that the city is exploding in popularity over the past few years has anything to do with that godawful show? Because a ton of people I know sure think it's at least contributing to it. Anyway, that's for a different thread. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more.

HylianTom

Banned
It should be Sam Bee and Jason Jones as co-anchors. A married Canadian couple anchoring a nightly news desk? It could get so silly so fast.

I like this.

I especially like Samantha Bee, and think she'd be hysterical.. especially since we're likely heading towards the first female president - and all of the issues associated with that kind of fun.

Fox Mulder

Wow, sad to see him go.

Colbert and Stewart gone, that nightly show is an awful replacement.

John Oliver really evolved the format with his weekly hbo show that lets his staff write and research deeper segments.

danm999

I wonder if Comedy Central will throw money to get John Oliver to come back after he completes one season with HBO

He's already on Season Two, and I somehow doubt Oliver would want to come back to Comedy Central given the freedom HBO seems to be giving him, plus the fact the show is doing very well (beating Bill Maher in ratings).

It would have to be a ton of money.

Raxus

He's already on Season Two, and I somehow doubt Oliver would want to come back to Comedy Central given the freedom HBO seems to be giving him, plus the fact the show is doing very well (beating Bill Maher in ratings).

It would have to be a ton of money.

They'd basically have to pay him off to break contract as well.

Either way he is getting a hefty sum for S3.

You don't think that part of the reason that the city is exploding in popularity over the past few years has anything to do with that godawful show?

Nah. It was exploding before there was a show. It didn't blow up any bigger once the show started. The show isn't that influential at all, really.

Anyway - whoever suggested Jason Jones & Samantha Bee? That's a decent idea. My only real problem with it is that makes Daily Show even MORE like Weekend Update. Sure, it'll automatically be better than Weekend Update, but still...

I dunno.

icPckhpCEKMKN.gif

I honestly don't know what life in the US would have been like from 2001 and onward without people like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert and crew to cut through this country's fog and madness and terror and heaps and heaps of media and political doublespeak, and to do it with such wit and humor and a righteous rant or two.

He is a national treasure, a personal fucking hero, a jedi master at exposing hypocrisy, and I'll miss him and his show so damn much, even though he's more than earned a retirement on his own terms.

Wow, sad to see him go.

Colbert and Stewart gone, that nightly show is an awful replacement.

John Oliver really evolved the format with his weekly hbo show that lets his staff write and research deeper segments.

Definitely.

If they have to do it once a week, I wish they extended it to an hour. They are absolutely fantastic over at Last Week Tonight.

Even though I've watched the show since I was a teenager, I'm happy that Stewart is able to explore his interests as a director instead of hosting The Daily Show until he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom