• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

Link1110

That was a good review. Just wish it wasn't only gonna be a two parter. It seems a show like this would have a ton of good review material.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hah, so James Rolfe AKA AVGN released a review on this show as well. What timing. & he said that the dust that they'd throw on the fire in each episode was
non-dairy creamer

Nice episode, I felt it was kinda short though. I hope Part II's gonna be bigger.

Also I guessed "light" for the riddle. As in, it would make the barrel 'lighter'. I feel like the driver would kill me for that terrible pun alone.

And yeah, it's gonna be hard to top the Goosebumps episodes. The amount of lines in that episode that still make me laugh out loud is ridiculous.

"Is that really relevant at all?" "...whoop it's relevant."

"Oh Larry, you're just a st-you're a fucking asshole."

"...goddamnit Larry, you're hard to love but you're harder to hate."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The FBI joke from Goosebumps Part 2 is easily one of my favorite moments in the show (heck, one of my favorite episodes), especially that build-up & the part before it.

AniHawk

Are You Afraid of the Dark? is absolutely fucking amazing.

The Tale of the Quicksilver still terrifies me, actually.

the tale of the quicksilver is pretty good. one of the very few that holds up (from what i recall). the tale of the dead man's float is probably my favorite. the actors did a pretty good job, the characters all had reasons to be doing the things they were doing, and the monster was fucking scary as fuck. also, a kid dies somewhat on-screen. rad.

ElTopo

Banned
There were so many good jokes in the Goosebumps 2 parter. Some of the best Jon gifs too.

tumblr_naoc89ZYbQ1sxcu9lo3_400.gif

First episode was okay, it's a little disappointing because the Nostalgia Critic reviewed the exact same episode and made similar points, but I hope part two will focus on something a little less known. And it's understandable because that episode is fairly bad. The first "real" episode of the show The Tale of the Twisted Claw (a variation on the Monkey's Paw story) is actually pretty damn good for a kid's show.

What is with Nickelodeon's hardon for Canadian produced TV?

Great episodes by JT. I'm glad he's been producing steadily. Every episodes post GG has been lol funny. Always one gag or joke that gets me.

Blues1990

""Yeah don't worry about it, here's a loonie for your time, there's a toonie for your wife OUR MONEY'S CARTOON.... OUR MILK'S IN BAGS.... SCREW IT, I'M AUDI!" *slam*

As a Canadian, I shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did during that bit. Especially since milk bags are only available in Central & Eastern Canada.

Nice episode, I felt it was kinda short though. I hope Part II's gonna be bigger.

Also I guessed "light" for the riddle. As in, it would make the barrel 'lighter'. I feel like the driver would kill me for that terrible pun alone.

And yeah, it's gonna be hard to top the Goosebumps episodes. The amount of lines in that episode that still make me laugh out loud is ridiculous.

"Is that really relevant at all?" "...whoop it's relevant."

"Oh Larry, you're just a st-you're a fucking asshole."

"...goddamnit Larry, you're hard to love but you're harder to hate."

The FBI joke from Goosebumps Part 2 is easily one of my favorite moments in the show (heck, one of my favorite episodes), especially that build-up & the part before it.

Also in the last episode when the little girls is screaming, Jon goes "Oh come on, what are you screaming about?", and then Jon sees the skeleton and lets out a pitching scream.

Man, both of the Goosebumps episodes have so many good parts.

AniHawk

What is with Nickelodeon's hardon for Canadian produced TV?

they took a lot of stuff from ytv back in the day, and i think it was still pretty close to that era (late 90s) when are you afraid of the dark? was made.

it's actually super noticeable when you listen to the way the actors say 'out.'

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't even know what Canada was when I used to watch "You Can't Do That on Television!" back in the day as a tiny little kid. And even when I did know what Canada was, I didn't even realize AYAOTD was made there.

Nickelodeon used to show pretty much only imported kids shows (Count Duckula, Bananaman, Danger Mouse) and old black and white sitcoms. (Dennis the Menace and Lassie) I always assumed it was a cost thing. Nick was new and just getting on its feet. They didn't have their own programming yet so they needed something. To fill the gaps when they started making their own shows they needed stuff that was all ready made. I'm sure it was pretty cheap relatively to just syndicate YCDTOTV and those old sitcoms and cartoons.

Side note: YCDTOTV was where Alannis Morrisette got her big break. As a kid I remember thinking she was kind of cute. Who knew back then what she would become. (She disappeared for a long time and made a sudden reappearance when her song "Thank You" became a hit. I didn't know until years later that was her on the show.)

they took a lot of stuff from ytv back in the day, and i think it was still pretty close to that era (late 90s) when are you afraid of the dark? was made.

it's actually super noticeable when you listen to the way the actors say 'out.'

Was any of it American produced tv in the 80s-90s?

I'm trying to remember shows like guts or nick arcade or rugrats or Doug and I don't recall if it was American produced TV.

AniHawk

Was any of it American produced tv in the 80s-90s?

I'm trying to remember shows like guts or nick arcade or rugrats or Doug and I don't recall if it was American produced TV.

nickelodeon animation studio didn't open until 1999 in burbank. that's where things are currently done and where spongebob, invader zim, and avatar were made. lots of the game shows were filmed at universal studios in orlando florida (including nick arcade and legends of the hidden temple, i think). regarding the really early nicktoons, those were all done by individual animation studios. doug was jumbo, rugrats was klasky csupo, and ren and stimpy was spumco. after john k was fired from ren and stimpy, games animation in studio city, los angeles took over for it (nickelodeon's animation group), and rocko's modern life was the first show created from the start within games animation.

AniHawk

Side note: YCDTOTV was where Alannis Morrisette got her big break. As a kid I remember thinking she was kind of cute. Who knew back then what she would become. (She disappeared for a long time and made a sudden reappearance when her song "Thank You" became a hit. I didn't know until years later that was her on the show.)

do you mean personally? because thank you happened in 1998, quite a bit after the megasuccess of jagged little pill.

nickelodeon animation studio didn't open until 1999 in burbank. that's where things are currently done and where spongebob, invader zim, and avatar were made. lots of the game shows were filmed at universal studios in orlando florida (including nick arcade and legends of the hidden temple, i think). regarding the really early nicktoons, those were all done by individual animation studios. doug was jumbo, rugrats was klasky csupo, and ren and stimpy was spumco. after john k was fired from ren and stimpy, games animation in studio city, los angeles took over for it (nickelodeon's animation group), and rocko's modern life was the first show created from the start within games animation.

All of these studios are American based.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

It just surprises me the majority of Nick's line up was mainly Canadian based children's TV, with the evening being mostly old sitcoms.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
do you mean personally? because thank you happened in 1998, quite a bit after the megasuccess of jagged little pill.
I just remember her character "Alanis" on the show. When she got big in '98, I didn't even realize she was the same person until the internet put it together for us. Thank You was the first song I remember from her though. I'm sure she had hits on the radio before that, but Thank You was like the first one I remember sticking in my head. (What songs did she have on the radio before that? Maybe I might remember some.)

Look at us. Talking about Alanis Morissette in a JonTron thread.

AniHawk

I just remember her character "Alanis" on the show. When she got big in '98, I didn't even realize she was the same person until the internet put it together for us. Thank You was the first song I remember from her though. I'm sure she had hits on the radio before that, but Thank You was like the first one I remember sticking in my head. (What songs did she have on the radio before that? Maybe I might remember some.)

Look at us. Talking about Alanis Morissette in a JonTron thread.

from jagged little pill:
you oughtta know (1995)
hand in my pocket (1995)
ironic (1995)
you learn (1996)
head over feet (1996)
all i really want (1997)

from the city of angels soundtrack:
uninvited (1998)

thank u was a big song, but she was really really established long before that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
from jagged little pill:
you oughtta know (1995)
hand in my pocket (1995)
ironic (1995)
you learn (1996)
head over feet (1996)
all i really want (1997)

from the city of angels soundtrack:
uninvited (1998)

thank u was a big song, but she was really really established long before that.
Somehow I remember all those songs. But didn't really take notice until Thank You. I think it was because of the controversial video at the time. Did I say I know all those songs? I meant to say I love the shit out of all those songs. I guess I really loves me some Alanis Morissette.

And now JonTron needs to release part 2 so we can change the subject back...

...at least until he decides to do an episode on You Can't Do That on Television and brings up the subject again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I could've sworn I heard about that idea a while back. & seeing the art of Jared showing off his modeling pictures is funnier than it should be. It'll be interesting to see if it gets funded.

& awesome, part 2's up!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm guessing the evil spirit in the basement closet is Kali. Sacrifice someone and she'll give you a present. All he has to do is sacrifice his sister and he's got a neat skull cup to fill with blood to give himself life.

Oh wait, this isn't the Spelunky thread.

ElTopo

Banned
But I can see why some would consider The Tale of the Dark Music to be the scariest. It easily has the darkest ending of the series.

ElTopo

Banned
I've now re-watched part 2 three times now. Definitely funnier than part 1 which was a bit of disappointment (if only because of how great the Goosebumps episodes were).

NotLiquid

Topping Goosebumps is next to impossible anyways. Those episodes are arguably Jon's absolute finest and some of the best material YouTube in general has to offer.

Doesn't mean that these videos were bad though. Part 2 was hilarious. Love how he manages to save the best for last when it comes to these.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looking more into it, it seems there was talks of said dating sim near the beginning of the year. Heck, artwork seemed to have surfaced back in Feb.-ish. No wonder I felt as though I already heard about it before.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the artist is the girlfriend/fiancee of Peanut Butter Gamer, another Normal Boots reviewer.

Sou Da

Looking more into it, it seems there was talks of said dating sim near the beginning of the year. Heck, artwork seemed to have surfaced back in Feb.-ish. No wonder I felt as though I already heard about it before.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the artist is the girlfriend/fiancee of Peanut Butter Gamer, another Normal Boots reviewer.

So can someone make a thread for it, can't do it as Junior. I weirdly want to see how this turns out if it gets funded.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

This game needs to be finished.

Then someone needs to send it to the GameGrumps and make them play through it.

Also, Jared needs to complete it and review it.

And PBG needs to do a Let's Play of it.

Then JonTron can review it.

And just for the heck of it, give a copy to the AVGN as well.

This game needs to be finished.

Then someone needs to send it to the GameGrumps and make them play through it.

Also, Jared needs to complete it and review it.

And PBG needs to do a Let's Play of it.

Then JonTron can review it.

And just for the heck of it, give a copy to the AVGN as well.

Jon wouldn't touch this game unless he did an entire episode to Dating Sims.

Top Bottom