• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

I was joking, and making a reference to this.

That's the reason I was partially thinking you were saying the truth since in GG they played a sponsored game. They also took part in that Pacific Rim video skit with the other youtube video game personalities

Regardless this sounds more like one of his friends wanted to do a video series of reviewing Star Wars games and write in small bits for the group of friends.

That's the reason I was partially thinking you were saying the truth since in GG they played a sponsored game. They also took part in that Pacific Rim video skit with the other youtube video game personalities

Regardless this sounds more like one of his friends wanted to do a video series of reviewing Star Wars games and write in small bits for the group of friends.

Nah. Completely serious now, the producer for Starcade is the producer for Polaris a Channel Awesome or sorts, and the Director is Hollywood Big shot whos worked on serious art house movies like BloodRayne 2007 and Postal The Movie. Jontron is associated to Uwe Boll by proxy now ):. Both of the above live in Cally. I suspect there was more to this than meets the eye, or who know maybe they were friends before the move.

ElTopo

Banned
It had to be 5 minutes? It couldn't have been a 10 minute episode? He doesn't even cover the gameplay...

This series has been pretty disappointing TBQH. It was obviously Maker's idea (because they're owned by Disney) so I'm not blaming Jon so much on this but wow, this is just kinda' bad.

NotLiquid

Short episode but this one was better. I think that explains why Jon made the update video a few days ago to explain that he's working on regular JonTron alongside it (which confused me at first since I figured this was going to be a regular JT multiparter like Goosebumps but with a budget behind it). They're probably going to be some slightly shorter affairs to make it an ongoing thing.

WillyFive

That X-Wing episode was terrible. A bad look at the game, really poor comedy; these Starcade videos stick out like a sore thumb next to all the videos on his channel. Lots of great videos, except for this stuff.

NotLiquid

EErAOBh.png

Pretty much what I expected then

Choomp

Banned
He's losing me with StarCade. Lots of production value which is cool but it's not funny and it most certainly isn't what makes JonTron awesome.

ElTopo

Banned
I think he got a little bonus from Maker and they paid to fly him out to California. The whole thing was done on Maker's dime so it's not like he lost out and he can cop out by saying "Oh well, it was a Maker thing, I could only do so much with it."

Think of it like seeing Brad Jones (the Cinema Snob) in Pop Quiz Hotshot.

But to be fair, Starcade isn't nearly as bad as Pop Quiz Hotshot.

Zubz

Banned
That episode barely touched upon the game, and I'll admit, I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, so seeing Jon dressed up like Han Solo/an X-Wing fighter just doesn't do it for me alone. Still, as he's stated, this is a side-project that he's having a lot of fun with, and making a lot of money for, so I'll take it in the meantime until Season 3 starts rolling in. I mean, I'll admit, I smirked when Markplier was deadpanning the Magic School Bus joke... And then he went Markplier and tried to be a ham in an already-ridiculous scenario. I also chuckled at the whole "Make it look like the fourth X-Wing fighter is another YouTube Pseudo-Celebrity, only for it to be a callback to that goblins joke." It's not Jon's usual quality, but it's decent.

It was nice to see Ross, by the way. I know all of the GG fall-out has long since been patched, and that Jon and Ross were always friends throughout, but it's nice to see a Grump make a minor cameo.

WillyFive

That episode barely touched upon the game, and I'll admit, I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, so seeing Jon dressed up like Han Solo/an X-Wing fighter just doesn't do it for me alone. Still, as he's stated, this is a side-project that he's having a lot of fun with, and making a lot of money for, so I'll take it in the meantime until Season 3 starts rolling in. I mean, I'll admit, I smirked when Markplier was deadpanning the Magic School Bus joke... And then he went Markplier and tried to be a ham in an already-ridiculous scenario. I also chuckled at the whole "Make it look like the fourth X-Wing fighter is another YouTube Pseudo-Celebrity, only for it to be a callback to that goblins joke." It's not Jon's usual quality, but it's decent.

It was nice to see Ross, by the way. I know all of the GG fall-out has long since been patched, and that Jon and Ross were always friends throughout, but it's nice to see a Grump make a minor cameo.

It really shows the difference in talent between JonTron and the other Youtubers featured in the video; they have no good sense of humor whatsoever.

Sheesh people seem rather harsh....yeah Starcade seems lackluster so far, but I think its still enjoyable. Episode was still short as hell for it being posted two weeks after the first episode. Still, got a grin on my face when I saw Mark, totally dint expect him to show up on any of Jons vids, my two favorite youtubers.

Hope the next one covers more games and lasts longer. Good experiment for Jon.

Zubz

Banned
It really shows the difference in talent between JonTron and the other Youtubers featured in the video; they have no good sense of humor whatsoever.

I mean, they have a sense of humor, even if Jon's is the only one that resonates with me. I think there was a congruency problem here, though, like with the Markplier bit I mentioned.

Dudes I'm loving Starcade. Feels like I'm watching a really great 90s show. Can't wait until we get to the Windows 95/98 games so I can really revv up the nostalgia engines.

I don't mind Starcade but it just... clashes so much with his other material because he's saying like 3-4 sentences for each game. X-Wing deserved more time than 5 minutes.

Neiteio

I don't mind Starcade but it just... clashes so much with his other material because he's saying like 3-4 sentences for each game. X-Wing deserved more time than 5 minutes.
Eh, it's not really that different. Look at his Japanese shmups video, or any of his videos where he covers multiple games. Some of the games were barely touched upon. If Starcade was all one video, rather than divided into segments, I think the time allotted to each game would seem more reasonable. We're just noticing more because we're getting these videos piecemeal.

Eh, it's not really that different. Look at his Japanese shmups video, or any of his videos where he covers multiple games. Some of the games were barely touched upon. If Starcade was all one video, rather than divided into segments, I think the time allotted to each game would seem more reasonable. We're just noticing more because we're getting these videos piecemeal.
Maybe that's it.But I genuinely wouldn't mind a whole episode on the game. Has anybody else done one?

Harmen

Love Starcade so far. I honestly do not see that much of a difference. Sure, there is the set and with an overarching "plot" to this miniseries, but the humor is definately JonTron and they way he includes commercials and references to (pop)culture is not that different. Those additional actors only have very brief moments so far (do not even know them anyways, besides that Mark guy).

Alltough I wish the guy was a bit more productive or some vids would be longer, I think he is great at mixing things up and his video's always pace well and can actually be quite informative.

ElTopo

Banned
Has anyone actually tried Audible? I just tried it and wanted to get a free trial copy of the Disaster Artist and the stream feature wouldn't work. Then I tried checking my library and the book wasn't there but it took my 1 free book credit. Plus there's no option to simply download the book.

Terrible service and the books are over priced.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
JonTron has a pretty funny "cameo" in the latest episode of Continue?. Which is a series people should be watching anyway. They're awesome guys.

Top Bottom