• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
JonTron has a pretty funny "cameo" in the latest episode of Continue?. Which is a series people should be watching anyway. They're awesome guys.
What would be some good episodes of Continue to check out? I've "heard" of them, but never checked their videos out. Thinking with the summer, might be time to check out a new show to follow.

Edit: Hmmmm...watching their newest episode and...I don't know, the fact I can barely hear anyone since all 3 of them talk at the same time is annoying, plus I feel like I'm watching a "Let's Play" which I'm not really into. I prefer stuff like ProJared, JonTron, BrutalMoose, Completionist, etc. where the game itself is talked about and is more among a comedic review but still offers insight/opinions on the game.

I know about Continue because back in the golden days of Game Grumps, Jon kept bringing them up over and over, lol. He said he got a lot of his delivery from them. I'm not a fan of them though. Personally I just don't find Continue interesting at all.

Yeah, so far this is the best Starcade episode. Wonder how they will handle the first StarWars MMORPG.....(if at all that is).

Only time I watched Continue? was when Jon played a few games with them, it was good, but I feel like it was only like that cause of Jon being there. The show seems okay, but would get old quick for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I own that game. I've never popped it in my Sega CD. I got it off eBay 12 years ago. Bought it purely on uniqueness. Now I really want to hook my Genesis up and test it out.

Yeah, so far this is the best Starcade episode. Wonder how they will handle the first StarWars MMORPG.....(if at all that is).

Only time I watched Continue? was when Jon played a few games with them, it was good, but I feel like it was only like that cause of Jon being there. The show seems okay, but would get old quick for me.

The show is 100% hit or miss. Some episodes (Rugrats, Rex Ronan, Yu-Gi-Oh just to name a few), i could barely breath at some points from laughing so hard. Then there are some episodes that are just kind of...there, or just plain don't work. I think this is indicative of basically any improv-based show with no script.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are people really upset about the shortness of this one? It's Chess. It's fucking Chess. I don't even know what else to say.
The length of this one was fine to be honest. Heck, I'd say the amount of time he spent on it was almost perfect (a bit too long on the company/logo, but that's more of a nitpick) and the skit at the beginning was fine as well. The overall pacing was much better compared to the last episode.

Zubz

Banned
We've only had 3 Starcades so far, right? The last one felt off/short, but I liked this one. The sketch was good, but it didn't feel like it was the only reason this video was made like the last one, and it felt like the actual contents of the game were talked about long enough to do it justice, but not so long that it felt stretched-out. Also, I know Disney's owned JonTron for awhile due to them owning Maker, but I still find it hilarious thinking that they're probably the benefactors supporting this mini-series.

I haven't seen Continue? in forever; I just built up a backlog and didn't feel like trudging through 10 or so episodes after awhile. I'll definitely have to check out the newest one if Jon's in it, though. I keep forgetting they're working on that mini-series ("Smart Guys"), too; anyone else thinking Jon's going to have a role in that, even if it's just as a slightly-bigger-than-average cameo?

We've only had 3 Starcades so far, right? The last one felt off/short, but I liked this one. The sketch was good, but it didn't feel like it was the only reason this video was made like the last one, and it felt like the actual contents of the game were talked about long enough to do it justice, but not so long that it felt stretched-out. Also, I know Disney's owned JonTron for awhile due to them owning Maker, but I still find it hilarious thinking that they're probably the benefactors supporting this mini-series.

I haven't seen Continue? in forever; I just built up a backlog and didn't feel like trudging through 10 or so episodes after awhile. I'll definitely have to check out the newest one if Jon's in it, though. I keep forgetting they're working on that mini-series ("Smart Guys"), too; anyone else thinking Jon's going to have a role in that, even if it's just as a slightly-bigger-than-average cameo?

He's in it. They showed a couple clips of it at Magfest and he was in the first one.

just watched it. Not bad honestly. The length felt perfect in this one. Once I got around the idea that he wasn't going to go in depth over the games but more like introduce them and show you some cool things about them, the videos are much more enjoyable. I also laughed at how fucking slow the chess game is.

Zubz

Banned
Huh. Jon just changed his Starcade Themed Profile Picture and Cover Photo on Facebook. I wonder if that means something...

Huh. Maybe Starcade got cancelled? Or he'll be releasing a regular episode between now and the next Starcade? Either way, that's certainly suspect.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He then posted this:

"Hahaha, I forgot that changing your profile pic here goes public. You can look forward to more regular content very soon! I am excited to share it with you all "

He then posted this:

"Hahaha, I forgot that changing your profile pic here goes public. You can look forward to more regular content very soon! I am excited to share it with you all "

Maybe Starcade wasn't doing all that well or was taking too long and fans weren't crazy about it?

Zubz

Banned
Maybe Starcade wasn't doing all that well or was taking too long and fans weren't crazy about it?

That's weird, though. Didn't he do a lot of work with other YouTubers/actors, and hinted that some external source was promoting Starcade? It seems like something too big to just cancel.

Neiteio

Starcade was neat, and I would've liked to see him cover the SNES/N64 games, but I miss the normal episodes at his apartment (or wherever he lives these days). I like it when he unearths outlandishly strange/terrible games I've never seen before. I'd also like to see him do more episodes where he covers games he likes. I'd love a Rare special (as in Rareware) that goes through all of the Rare games he loves.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just want you all to know that since the last JonTron video (Barbie Games) I have been working almost nonstop to get more content out. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean I'm not working on it. StarCade hit a bit of a snag in production, but it is fine now and the rest of the episodes will release over the course of this year! I really am ridiculously excited to show you all what we've been working on. I know my pace is slow for YouTube, but just know that I am always working on something <3.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

That's good. I've enjoyed Starcade for the most part. I just thought it was gonna hit a little faster or be a little longer. Short videos + long waits isn't fun.

It wasn't. The three Starcade videos are some of his lowest in views and were declining with each new video. I imagine they're his most expensive videos(for whoever paid the bill) too.

Hmmm. Maybe the third party didn't see it 'returning the investments' and decided to end it now.

Which honestly I'm all for. The sets and costumes were nice, but I like Jon in his regular review format and I'm sure he didn't entirely like being on the bad side of his fanbase.

edit: well I was partially right I guess, but seems like the episodes were already finished?

Neiteio

I wonder if there are plans to ultimately edit all of the Starcade episodes into one Star Wars-themed Jontron "movie" that could be be sold separately.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, FINALLY. Was just talking to my friend last week how we were wishing for new Jon Tron content.

As usual, it has higher production values than a regular JonTron episode, but imo the whole episode was painfully boring. "StarCade is back and here to stay" :/ Welp.

NotLiquid

Starcade would have been a lot better if Maker had any clue how to manage it. I don't think Jon's brand of humor works with shortfire episodes like these unless they're closer to his classic style of non-sequiturs (Apples and Grapes) or top 6 lists, but the production cycle being out of Jon's hands and having demanded for a bunch of additional material is kind of incompetent on their part. It could have been solved with a more frequent output and other, regular videos but from what I understand anyway there's a lot of hubbub behind the scenes that has prevented Jon from doing just that.

Starcade would have been a lot better if Maker had any clue how to manage it. I don't think Jon's brand of humor works with shortfire episodes like these unless they're closer to his classic style of non-sequiturs (Apples and Grapes) or top 6 lists, but the production cycle being out of Jon's hands and having demanded for a bunch of additional material is kind of incompetent on their part. It could have been solved with a more frequent output and other, regular videos but from what I understand anyway there's a lot of hubbub behind the scenes that has prevented Jon from doing just that.

I think its alright, and i'm excited for him to get to more PC stuff that has almost no coverage on Youtube, buuuuuuuuuuut yeah, its pretty clear this is a sponsored thing, and well there is flashes of brilliance (Star Wars Chess, specific jokes) Its not as strong as Barbie Games was back a few months ago.

I do wonder why they would want him to hold back on proper episodes though, since it seemed like a lot of footage was already done when this started, unless its specific to whatever deal they have in place for this particular thing.

As usual, it has higher production values than a regular JonTron episode, but imo the whole episode was painfully boring. "StarCade is back and here to stay" :/ Welp.
Jon is well aware fans aren't crazy about it. He probably means that because they were having publishing/support issues it almost got cancelled but he found a new group to support them so they can now finish them as originally intended.

Zubz

Banned
Another Jontron update video. Looks like there's a bunch more StarCade coming, but it's all done filming.

That's good, though! I mean, he said we're going to start getting StarCade on a biweekly basis; even if it's not as good as a usual episode, StarCade's at least had enough shining moments to justify it continuing.

He also said that StarCade's filming has been wrapped up. Now he just has to oversee the post-production process, so he can start working on "Season 3" of his own series. There's a chance that we might be seeing new content immediately after StarCade wraps up!

That's good, though! I mean, he said we're going to start getting StarCade on a biweekly basis; even if it's not as good as a usual episode, StarCade's at least had enough shining moments to justify it continuing.

He also said that StarCade's filming has been wrapped up. Now he just has to oversee the post-production process, so he can start working on "Season 3" of his own series. There's a chance that we might be seeing new content immediately after StarCade wraps up!
Hey I'll take it. I don't mind StarCade but I miss being able to grab something to eat and watch new jaaaahn

Top Bottom