• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow: Braid Anniversary Edition sold like dog shit

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

In the first clip, recorded six days after the game’s launch, Blow was unsure at how well the game had performed, saying “it’s a little too early” to judge.

“I’ll put it this way, we’re definitely not sure,” he told a viewer. “It’s not like we sold a million copies on day one, which is what you’d expect. It’s a remaster, right? So you don’t expect it to be like a new game in terms of the hype level. But we just have to see where it lands.”

In the second clip, recorded 34 days after the Anniversary Edition’s release, Blow was asked by a viewer if the game sold well. “No, it sold horribly,” he replied.

“Well, it depends on what your standards are. If you compare it to nostalgic things, like the Jeff Mintergame that’s on Steam, or Atari 50, it’s sold much better than all of those. But it has still sold like dog shit compared to what we need to make for the company to survive.

“The future is uncertain, let’s put it that way,” he added. “It hasn’t been good. Hasn’t been good.”

I honestly didn’t even realize it came out.

rm082e

I don't know why he would have thought this would sell like a new game. That makes no sense. Everyone who wants that game already got it for free or on deep sale and played it. It doesn't need a remaster, so he shouldn't have expected very many sales.

Seems like he made bank off that game and set himself up financially for the long run. Seems like the trap of indie game devs - they get enough that they can live of the interest on their million bucks, so they take a lackadaisical approach to making games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Hey Jonny, we all played it back in 2008. We're good.

And it didn't need a remaster honestly.

I like the guy mostly for how outspoken he is. We need more guys that have some balls to say some industry shit that a lot of people dont wanna hear. He had a great talk with Moriarty some months back

Last edited:
If his company struggles than that's on him. Making his own game engine was not enough this time, he had to make a whole programming language as well.
I thought he did this because he was chilling.

Now it's been like 10 years since he put anything new out. What do you expect?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
soulja boy GIF

ShadowNate

This needed more marketing, but I suppose that would require even more funds to do properly.
And times are very different than when the original was released -- which pretty much fell right into the kick-off, or arguably helped kick off, the golden years for well made and affordable indie games on Steam and later on Humble Bundle.

I got the remaster and played a little bit and I must admit, if you're not getting it for the commentary, it feels like hardly anything has changed, and I would then only recommend it on a sale. Maybe the new levels (which I didn't reach) make it worth it more than I currently appreciate it for. I'll probably be playing this on and off so it's going to be a while until I see all the new content.

I agree that the Witness was brilliant by the way, and I do look forward to the next original title from this company.

On a related note, did you know that World of Goo is getting a sequel that's releasing in like 3 days?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Well, gee. I guess the game was not as cool as Mario 64 or Super Mario RPG, huh?

I bought it.

That is the problem here. His games need to have more personality. They would sell way better.

Last edited:

_Ex_

In the past 26 years, Blow has created three games:

1998 Wulfram
2008 Braid
2016 The Witness

Blow should focus on making new games instead of milking past glory.

On a personal note, even during its day, I thought Braid looked like shit despite being a precious "critical darling". The graphical aesthetic is junk, the protagonist looks like a doofus, and the game design is one trick pony. Expecting a resurrected 16 year old indie platformer to perform well sales-wise against modern indie platformers is naive at best.

Krathoon

Gold Member
What he needs to do is actually make his game characters interesting. He needs to make memorable characters.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m all over the board with my thoughts on this. I don’t like games failing, but I love the idea of Jonathon Blow failing and a remaster failing.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
In the final clip, recorded 74 days after release, Blow was asked by a viewer about Jai, a new programming languague he’s been working on and plans to release at some point in the future.

When asked how many people were working full-time on the compiler for Jai, Blow replied: “None, because we can’t afford to pay anyone, because the sales are bad.”

What do you want a new language for? Spending resources in something you don't need is an easy way to get red numbers all along.

tmlDan

Why tf would i want to play this old ass indie game again, maybe he should make games quicker.

His last game was The Witness almost a decade ago, how tf are your indie games taking so long.

Fess

Guy is definitely an eccentric and can be a dick but I hope he makes more games.
I don’t care, Cliffy B is crazy too but made one of my favorite action games ever with the first Gears of War, and the Phil Fish guy, said stupid things but made Fez, loved it, Itagaki could say real strange things but made Ninja Gaiden, and Thomas Mahler is an odd character too but made Ori and recently No Rest for the Wicked, so I allow it.

I don’t plan to be friend with any of them. If they make games I enjoy then I want their studios to be successful so I get more of that.

I’m more pissed at the higher ups on the publisher and platform holder side that remove stuff that I enjoy without actually creating anything themselves.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Oh, lets just hinge everything on re-releasing an old game. That will go well.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
Seems like he overestimated the relevance of the game.
Braid was cool but it also benefited from being in that early wave of digital indie games. In the current market with so many smaller projects releasing all the time I don't know why he thought this would get great sales.
Even as someone who does like smaller indie games, I'd rather buy a new one than a remaster of an older game (that didn't really need a remaster anyway)

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, it's nice to see people acknowledging that Braid was never a good game. Everyone was on Jonathan Blow's dick back in 2008 or whenever it was.

Top Bottom