• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow: Braid Anniversary Edition sold like dog shit

trikster40

I enjoyed it when it came out a long time ago, but I'm not playing some remastered version that basically looks identical. Fuck that. Trophies were a gigantic pain the first time around, not suffering through that again.

Make new game.

Braid was a mediocre game.
Yea, as someone who never played it when it first released and am a HUGE fan of the witness, Braid is pretty mid. Maybe at the time it was revolutionary or something but in 2024, there are so many better games to play. Didn't hate my time with it, but game felt overpriced for $20.

On top of that the game was marketed ike shit. I didn't even know this was happening, think I saw a random tweet of Jonathan pop up on my timeline and that's the only reason why I even knew it existed.

Last edited:
Yea, as someone who never played it when it first released and am a HUGE fan of the witness, Braid is pretty mid. Maybe at the time it was revolutionary or something but in 2024, there are so many better games to play. Didn't hate my time with it, but game felt overpriced for $20.

On top of that the game was marketed ike shit. I didn't even know this was happening, think I saw a random tweet of Jonathan pop up on my timeline and that's the only reason why I even knew it existed.
It had a lot of helium because it was an XBLA game and MS was pushing Arcade games heavy back then. Honestly man, kinda wish they still had some gatekeeping like XBLA around today. There's so much garbage that gets released on the store that I don't even look through it anymore.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I enjoyed the original but honestly preferred 'The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom' which had similar mechanics bit did more with them in my opinion.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe don't remake games if they don't need remade?

8ZLAQnA.png

It had a lot of helium because it was an XBLA game and MS was pushing Arcade games heavy back then. Honestly man, kinda wish they still had some gatekeeping like XBLA around today. There's so much garbage that gets released on the store that I don't even look through it anymore.
Funny you say that because I feel the same about PS. There is so much dog shit level games promoted on the "just released" pages. You have to dig through so much shit to find anything remotely interesting to play.

Braid is actually an example of this. It was buried at the bottom of the just released, like the day it released for so much shovelware (this was blows tweet I was alluding to in my op). The only way I found it was searching. Idk how Sony, MS or Nintendo can do it but they for sure need to streamline these stores better.

Denton

Jonathan Blow is such an asshole that I'm glad it's selling like shit *shrug*
Elaborate. Why is an an asshole, even "such an asshole", specifically?

Maybe if he spent more time making games instead of creating his own programming language (why?) the studio would be in a better position..

Because he dislikes how existing language work. He is not shy about being pretty digusted with lot of current day coding and its low quality.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

As someone who never played it when it came out, I find the game very difficult to grasp the mechanics of and not in a gratifying or fun way.

Neilg

I've enjoyed his games but any issues he has with running a studio are entirely his doing. He finds some parts of c++ bad, so writes an entire custom programming language to develop a game (8 years in, still nowhere near ready) that looks like it would take a year to make in an off the shelf engine.

I love his games but what was he expecting? Release a new game for a change. Braid is such an old game. I would have blindly bought The Witness 2 for instance running on the same engine. But the way he does games is not sustainable, he is the problem.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

The game has been released on every platform. No body is re buying that shit bro it's like what 12 years fucking old

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
I thought that was Phil Fish
Yes, it was Phil Fish.

Braid was okay, enjoyed it back then, already gave him money for it, zero reason to give more money though.
Also bought the Witness, loved it, but again, I would never buy it again. Makes zero sense.

Release a new game, Jonathan Blow.

Krathoon

Gold Member
This kind of reminds me of when Alex Albrecht got pissed off that people were not watching "The Totally Rad Show".

People don't care about your show? HOW DARE THEY?

Last edited:

RedC

I bought the remaster but never played the original despite owning the 360 version.

I'm part of the problem but luckily this time it didn't succeed in Blow's favor

Sgt.Asher

It was enjoyable the first time I played it back on the 360, but I have no desire to ever play it again. I played the witness and just found that to be boring.

Honestly the game was over hyped when it came out. It only got the spot light as it was one of the first mainstream indie games on xblive and the 360 had exclusivity rights. If it was a multiplat and came out a few years after it did no one would of been talking about it. Game sites gave it rave reviews and fanboys flaunted the scores. IT was mediocre at best. His 2nd game the witness which I doubt sold much (I got it on ps+ a few years after release), I thought was much better, although i never finished either game.

What I want to know is, can we trade in Jonathan Blow for Peter Molyneux? At least he made great experimental games and most were actually more than hype imo(populous, black and white, fable, magic carpet, dungeon keeper, etc..) J. Blow has made what, 2 games?

begotten

Strange comments to make now.

I loved Braid, but this remaster completely slipped me, never heard much about it and it had delays.

He was on LSM talking about Braid Remastered as if it was some side project for fun because a perfectionist like him wanted the game looking good on modern resolutions, now suddenly the future of his small company and their actual next project is in jeoprady? Just weird to have high sales expectations on a Remaster that even Blow downplayed himself.

Personal don't like any of his games, including the witness, but why would he expect a million sales, hold his company's life support on it and think this is a new game? Going the Nintendo route with remasters and higher prices ain't gonna work unless you've a fanboy cult behind you.

theHFIC

I am guessing the deal with Netflix to be free with their subscription wasn't that much either to help. Or maybe it was the primary source of profit.

Killer8

I feel like Braid got a lot of the renown it got because it was one of the earliest great XBLA games. Now that we've got 15 years of digital distribution behind us, it's hard to still care about it when so much better stuff has released since then.

amigastar

I feel like Braid got a lot of the renown it got because it was one of the earliest great XBLA games. Now that we've got 15 years of digital distribution behind us, it's hard to still care about it when so much better stuff has released since then.
That's what i've thought also. Times moved on in the indie scene and better games are here now.

Top Bottom