• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

So I'm back for a "trophy" run, and I'm wondering about crossing the bridge without restoring all the links. Which ones should I avoid restoring?

Also, how hard is unlocking all the trophies here? I hate for it to be frustrating and tedious enough to sully my opinion of the game.

You can do it without restoring any of them. Some tips:
Get on top of the structures at each section; the more height you have when you take off, the easier it is.
The white cloak also helps.

And it's quite easy to get all of the trophies, even the multiplayer ones. A few times through the game and you should have them all. If you want the one that requires you to meditate, try idling. Most vets will take this as a sign that you're looking to get the trophy.

Ridley327

So I'm back for a "trophy" run, and I'm wondering about crossing the bridge without restoring all the links. Which ones should I avoid restoring?

Also, how hard is unlocking all the trophies here? I hate for it to be frustrating and tedious enough to sully my opinion of the game.

For the bridge, the first segment is the only one you don't need. Nearby is a small pack of ribbons that you can charge up to fly to the top of the first tapestry that normally builds the first section and from there, you can fly up to the platform. I'd make sure to grab all the symbols in that area to make it easier to get that high.

And the trophies really aren't that bad at all; the only tricky one is finding the symbols, since a couple of them are very well hidden, but beyond that, it's a cinch.

dreamfall

It's possible to press Select to meditate as well. I fell asleep with my controller in hand as my
white cloak
fluttered near the sand. The serenity is remarkable in this title. Others came to meditate with me, and hopefully it helped some with the trophy.

I don't think the comparisons to either Team Ico game are apt. The games (all three of them) were trying to accomplish different things, using different methods, and with different technology.

I get that there's a limited space for this type of game, but I think all three can coexist without needing to "rank" them. What they share is that they're all great games, and every PS3 owner should have them.

Shadow780

Amazing 90 minutes of serenity, isolation, and companionship.

That sand and light reflections, orgasm to my eyes.

I think I still like Flower more with what it's trying to convey, but this game is absolutely a brilliant piece.

Gritesh

Just played this through from start to finish.

Money. Well. Spent.

Serene experience game oozes with atmosphere, a MUST buy!

Choc

Banned
Game finished

WOW JUST WOW.

Game is AMAZING

the fact that the developer can

-not have a hud
-not have a tutorial
-not have any story at all

and you STILL know what to do. That is perfection. That is fucking perfection. Developers can learn a lot from this mob

This is the perfection of game design. Tell people nothing, but they know what to do. I can guarantee it took WEEKS UPON WEEKS for them to perfect this. I always wondered why Journey was a long arse dev, now i know

GOTY (so far)

dreamfall

Every time you beat the game the pattern changes.

I feel like my robes have stopped changing as well. I don't know how many complete playthroughs I've had, but the game is astounding. They look extremely decorated. I also think your call glyph changes as well. Not sure what the next one will be.

Cartman86

Banned
I agree, and I'd place Team ICO's work firmly in my all-time top ten.

It's a metaphor for a life, and death.

That may sound obvious (I figured that's what it was when they first talked about the game), but it works wonderfully in context.

I think that this is the game with more positive opinions in GAF story, or at least since a lot of time ago. Not a single one complains about the game.

Still, funny that it's scored lower than other games, like GTA IV, MGS4, several Calls of Duty, that have a lot of users complaining. Some press should meditate a little about this.

Jhriad

i beat the game with one other person, who now is my friend on PSN, and without sounding corny, it really felt like a bond was developed during our play through

I wonder how common this is. I played through the majority of the game with one person and we're now friends on PSN as well. It's the first time I've ever been really happy to add a total stranger to my PSN friends list.

SLV

I wonder how common this is. I played through the majority of the game with one person and we're now friends on PSN as well. It's the first time I've ever been really happy to add a total stranger to my PSN friends list.

Same for me, i added 2 people ;)

I think it's what the Idle Thumbs podcast was talking about during the early times of LBP: no voice chat/lack of verbal communication means the assumption that you are playing with nice(r) people.

I'm also guessing Journey is a game that people with a more defined interest in games are flocked towards, plus the fact that it's still exclusive to Plus, meaning you're probably getting more serious and open-minded players to the experience.

seady

Just played it for 2 hours. So beautiful.

This is totally inspired by ICO or Shadow of the Colossus. The emotion I have on this game is absolutely similar to those games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I saw in the credits they used Phyre Engine. Pretty impressive for a free does-everything engine. I'm sure they added some tech for sand and what not with help from Santa Monica. Phrye Engine makes it easy for them to release on the PC, but not a 360.

Finished Journey last night, what an amazing experience! After about half my play through I turned on the 2D to 3D conversion setting on my TV. All I can say is Wow!! The visuals already are top notch but turning on the 3D setting my TV has, just gave extra depth and immersion to the game that had me sucked in from start to finish. Its one of those games everyone must try out, one of those games that I will never forget playing.

Hazanko

Banned
sorry I forgot there are panels on each side like this.

but again..look at the end og all levels like this..

aopQQ.jpg

here you can see that all symbols are lit, meaning he found all..

This is the same thing I have, I've done the level twice and got all the symbols and yet that 3rd one is blank? Any help?

*edit*

Nevermind, found it! Was actually in the tower level.

Emitan

I feel like my robes have stopped changing as well. I don't know how many complete playthroughs I've had, but the game is astounding. They look extremely decorated. I also think your call glyph changes as well. Not sure what the next one will be.

The glyph is random every time.

ksimm

Oh my, if I was in the room alone I would have got up and applauded at the end of the game. It truly is an amazing experience. The game is so beautiful and relaxing, and the emotion of losing a companion, I felt so alone. :[

Everyone needs to play this game! Bravo thatgamecompany, BRAVO!

test_account

XP-39C²
More like, "If you don't subscribe to PS Plus, you will get the game a week late."

The game is freaking ready for download already, and Sony is just holding it up from users and somehow make it an "incentive" for PS Plus subscriber to download it "early".
I think that the "You're welcome" comment was referring to how good job Thatgamecompany did with Journey, so that people actually are willing to buy a PS+ subscription just to get the game early :) They can just wait a week to buy the game if they want that, but it seems that several of people dont want to do that.

Ricky_R

Amir0x has not developed an obsessive behaviour of disliking stuff just to feed his dire need of expressing contrary arguments confirmed. ;)

Btw. So glad there are many people enjoying this game. Gives TGC even more motivation to stay true to their visions.

I got all the symbols, so I'm
white
now. Also
walking seems to recharge your power
, and that's very nice, specially for the first levels.

Now I want to showoff all this with new players, so I won't touch the game until next wednesday :p

So who wants to start stirring shit up for a physical release of this game? I think it's a viable option for Sony now that they could package Flow, Flower and Journey on one blu ray.

Really enjoyed the game. Only bummer was that I got separated from my first partner who was really fun to play with (flying everywhere timing our calls and jumps and messing about exploring) and then got stuck with someone that did nothing but walk forward on the ground in a straight line for the rest of the game. He never once used the call to replenish jumps which was pretty frustrating. Ah well, will be playing again soon.

I was really impressed with how you end up slowly learning to work together. At first we weren't sticking together much then suddenly how the call works with recharges clicked for both of us. Then there was a period of trying to get each others timing down until it clicked then we were flying everywhere, blasting through the game together. Just a shame that the second guy I partnered with didn't seem to get the co-op mechanics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is lame, but is there a collectible guide anywhere? If not a point to point guide, at least something that tells me how many of any one thing are in an area, what trophies to look out for in an area, etc

Purexed

Banned
Woke up at 5am today before my wife got up to play this in isolation with the big surround sound treatment on my 60" plasma.

Sorry to be all contrarian, but I don't think Journey was this masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. Sure the game is beautiful, orchestral score swooning, and the visual narrative flowed, but the gameplay was rather... lacking. I found the mechanics and "game" here took a backseat to making an artistic statement. I can appreciate the effort, and boy is it a powerful effort, but the execution fell much flatter than Flower, which is still tgc's best game.

Reviews hitting with 8s are spot on. Journey has tons of visual and auditory sizzle; I just wish I could say I was having fun the whole way through. Obviously I'm in the minority, but some of the assertions that this is GOTY and better than Ico are nonsense. Any game where I am basically holding up for 80% of the game is not worthy of being in the overall GOTY conversation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to agree. Very, very impressive presentation. Very impressive, kind of subtle commentary on linear games, even. Mechanically, very shallow. I feel like they could have done more with the central act of playing the game without diminishing anything the game was trying to say. It would have only enhanced the experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think the comparisons to either Team Ico game are apt. The games (all three of them) were trying to accomplish different things, using different methods, and with different technology.

I get that there's a limited space for this type of game, but I think all three can coexist without needing to "rank" them. What they share is that they're all great games, and every PS3 owner should have them.
I think they're totally valid. There IS no reason to "rank" them, I agree, but I think all three compliment each other as experiences aiming for something really powerful using a limited palette. There is no doubt that Journey inspires many of the same feelings I had while playing ICO and SotC and that is a very positive thing.

Woke up at 5am today before my wife got up to play this in isolation with the big surround sound treatment on my 60" plasma.

Sorry to be all contrarian, but I don't think Journey was this masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. Sure the game is beautiful, orchestral score swooning, and the visual narrative flowed, but the gameplay was rather... lacking. I found the mechanics and "game" here took a backseat to making an artistic statement. I can appreciate the effort, and boy is it a powerful effort, but the execution fell much flatter than Flower, which is still tgc's best game.

Reviews hitting with 8s are spot on. Journey has tons of visual and auditory sizzle; I just wish I could say I was having fun the whole way through. Obviously I'm in the minority, but some of the assertions that this is GOTY and better than Ico are nonsense. Any game where I am basically holding up for 80% of the game is not worthy of being in the overall GOTY conversation.

I'm not sure how you found Journey 'flatter' than Flower, especially when talking about gameplay, Journey is much more 'gamey'.
And your argument would put Flower into a 'holding X for 95% percent of the time' game would it not? Stripping any game down to it's basic elements like that does it a massive disservice - especially games like Journey and Flower, which are audiovisual experiences.
I'd say, objectively, Journey offers the possibility of more fun because the depth of gameplay is more substantial than Flower, and that's a fact.
Journey succeeds in what it seeks to achieve moreso than Ico because it doesn't sacrifice any other elements despite it's achievements (whereas Ico had so-so combat), it's pretty much expertly crafted in every area - shallow gameplay is not a shortcoming for Journey, TGC have stripped away all of the superfluous elements that come with modern day gaming and created a simple yet perfectly designed game. There's nothing more it needs IMO, the mechanics and the gameplay match the narrative perfectly.
TGC have proved that you don't need complicated mechanics or various gameplay systems to create an amazing game, it may be short and simple - but Journey offers an emotional thunderstorm of an experience that transcends yet perfects what it means to be a game. Not only does it deserve to be GOTY but it also pulls the rug out from under everything else that has ten times more 'game' for your money

I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion by the way ;)

Zeliard

I think they're totally valid. There IS no reason to "rank" them, I agree, but I think all three compliment each other as experiences aiming for something really powerful using a limited palette. There is no doubt that Journey inspires many of the same feelings I had while playing ICO and SotC and that is a very positive thing.

They all follow the concept of "addition by subtraction" minimalism, which is relatively rare in games, particularly modern ones.

Top Bottom