• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

It makes me wonder how big a spike Plus subscriptions hit because of Journey. I've heard so many people say they subscribed just to play this game a week early. As Did I.

ThatGameCompany to Sony: "You're welcome."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me wonder how big a spike Plus subscriptions hit because of Journey. I've heard so many people say they subscribed just to play this game a week early. As Did I.

I'd love to see that graph. Hopefully TGC is made privy to it in some capacity.

Pranay

If offers are good, people will subscribe.

Also the free games and discounts are getting better as well.

Is not coincidence that this week free games are quite good, with Trine 2 (just released game) being free.

I expect 2 more great months on Plus, thanks to the new users.

It actually feels like two different experiences
I played solo the first time round, and the journey felt more like a lonely pilgrimage - when playing with other players the second time around, it felt like a series of events that were designed to draw two strangers closer together

Both times it was magical

Yes, I'd like to echo these sentiments completely.

I understand the desire to rank the experiences, but neither one was "better" than the other. They were both wonderful, and I'm glad I played the way I did.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So how long do the free games last?

If I download, can I keep it when subscribed? If I don't, do they remain free on plus forever?

Ridley327

If I download, can I keep it when subscribed? If I don't, do they remain free on plus forever?

They'll remain in your history, but in order to replay them, you'll need an active Plus subscription.

Obviously, this won't affect deals like Journey, which is merely an early release.

Pranay

Free Game genreally last a week. You can keep them as long as you are subscribed.

Anything which involves you paying for it, will be your's irrespective whether you are psn+ member or not.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. I'm excited to play Trine 2 for free.

Now, let's say I hadn't downloaded Trine 2, and a new set of deals become available on PSN. In theory, I wouldn't then be able to download Trine 2 for free, correct?

EDIT: wtf? Sly 1 is free? This is awesome.

Pranay

Now, let's say I hadn't downloaded Trine 2, and a new set of deals become available on PSN. In theory, I wouldn't then be able to download Trine 2 for free, correct?

Yup.

[Far Cry 2 was free in the previous, now its not.]

and i guess we are derailing the thread here :p. ask in psn+ thread if you have more doubts.

Ridley327

That's right; once deals expire, that's it for them.

Yes, I'd like to echo these sentiments completely.

I understand the desire to rank the experiences, but neither one was "better" than the other. They were both wonderful, and I'm glad I played the way I did.

I played a few levels alone, last night, because I had some router problems, and if I had to make my first walkthrough alone, I would hit my head against the wall until i get amnesia, in order to forget the walkthrough and play it with company.

Even if they managed to make the game great playing alone, the first playthrough has to be with company (as is intended to be played) to have the most shocking experience in the first time, instead of receiving the awesomeness in small dose.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, PSN+ just paid for itself. Sly 1 + Trine 2. Excellent.

V_Ben

Banned
Hey everybody. If anybody wants to play Journey early, I've hidden two codes for free months of PS+ in this post. Take one, redeem it, and then you can get the game early. Best of luck. Codes are USA only.

They're probably in here!

Even if they managed to make the game great playing alone, the first playthrough has to be with company (as is intended to be played) to have the most shocking experience in the first time, instead of receiving the awesomeness in small dose.

But it doesn't have to be.

thatgamecompany themselves have suggested playing alone; Amish_Gramish said as much in this very thread. I'm not trying to start a war. I just think the experiences are different and unique enough that I'm glad I went through the game both ways.

But everyone should go with their gut and play the way they want to play for their first time.

Free Game genreally last a week. You can keep them as long as you are subscribed.

They're always the full month. I don't remember ever the free game dissapearing before entering the game of the next month.

BTW, there is a trick, if you don't want to download it right now. Is to mark it to download, but, when you reach the download page, skip the download.

The game will be counted as "bought" and you will still be able to download it from your "download list" at any time (but you need to still be PS+ to launch the games).

But it doesn't have to be.

thatgamecompany themselves have suggested playing alone; Amish_Gramish said as much in this very thread. I'm not trying to start a war. I just think the experiences are different and unique enough that I'm glad I went through the game both ways.

But everyone should go with their gut and play the way they want to play for their first time.

Yes, I agree, the game is worthy and very rewarding to play alone. And, like Amish_Gramish said, everyone should try to play it also alone because is a different experience.

But I don't think that this should be in the first playthrough, because the game is much more intense with someone (specially if you have the luck of finding a good partner) and you'll get a bigger impact if the first playthrough is the full experience.

Jhriad

Just finished my first run through and this is such a great companion to Flower. Wanted to say thanks to Alshep for the great time. Ran through most of the time with him. Super enjoyable. I'll probably play through this a few more times.

Hey everybody. If anybody wants to play Journey early, I've hidden two codes for free months of PS+ in this post. Take one, redeem it, and then you can get the game early. Best of luck. Codes are USA only.

Ahhh, I missed out. Damn it, I was reading this thread from four pages back and by the time I got to this post...they were used. That would have made my week. Thanks anyway.

Haven't signed up for PS+, just need to hold out a few more days....this game has kind of kept low on my radar but the recent praise and reviews has me hyped.

Zeliard

Has anyone actually tried playing it single-player? How is it?

I fully intend on playing co-op, but I'm curious if it's still an enjoyable experience in single.

Jezabel

Finished the game single player already and want to jump in for Coop. But i keep getting a error 80710723 saying i havent signed the User agreement, but i cant see any.

anyone ideas because ive done the basics but nothing works

dreamfall

Has anyone actually tried playing it single-player? How is it?

I fully intend on playing co-op, but I'm curious if it's still an enjoyable experience in single.

Oh, I played my second run completely with online modes disabled. It was just as ethereal, even more so because I didn't feel bad about making a partner wait to fully explore every inch of the stages. It's a brilliant solitary adventure as well. And it was at my own pace!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Finished the game single player already and want to jump in for Coop. But i keep getting a error 80710723 saying i havent signed the User agreement, but i cant see any.

Quit the game and go to the XMB. Slide over to the PSN icon and do a manual sign in. That should push the new ToS to your system and give you the option to agree to it. Once you do that you should be able to sign in and play online.

Or it could be talking about the user agreement that loads up when you first start the game. Maybe that only appears if you launch the game while you're signed in. Try signing in and then launching the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Outstanding. I really loved it.

My only wish I could initiate a game with someone from the very beginning, if only so that I can ensure they'd be with me the whole time. I lost my companion for most of the last third and the very, very end.

KingK

So I just sat down and played all the way through this for the first time after buying it Tuesday. what. the. fuck. whoa WOW

Carl

Quit the game and go to the XMB. Slide over to the PSN icon and do a manual sign in. That should push the new ToS to your system and give you the option to agree to it. Once you do that you should be able to sign in and play online.

Or it could be talking about the user agreement that loads up when you first start the game. Maybe that only appears if you launch the game while you're signed in. Try signing in and then launching the game.

I think the game's User Agreement is in the pause menu

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I am fucking floored. As someone making a narrative-heavy game, I can't think of anything more perfect than this. Thanks to the three folks I partnered with along the way. The first player, especially--we had a lot of fun chirping back and forth, and teaching each other.

seady

More like, "If you don't subscribe to PS Plus, you will get the game a week late."

The game is freaking ready for download already, and Sony is just holding it up from users and somehow make it an "incentive" for PS Plus subscriber to download it "early".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To put things in perspective, I was partnered with six or seven people. Which seems odd, but hey.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
More like, "If you don't subscribe to PS Plus, you will get the game a week late."

The game is freaking ready for download already, and Sony is just holding it up from users and somehow make it an "incentive" for PS Plus subscriber to download it "early".

I have to agree. Luckily, I had a free 1 month sub.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the distinction there is arbitrary. It isn't like all other digital games are approved for publishing online and are instantly made public to download.

Kambing

Welp, just beat the game.

I really came into this expecting another thatgamecompany game, which it self is not bad since i tremendously enjoyed the other two titles made by them. But this, THIS game is fucking pure class. As a gamer, never have i felt the artistic vision of the developers conveyed and realized so eloquently during my journey. The story told in the game surpass that of many story oriented games. This in part is developed by relying on the strengths of a video game, combining atmosphere, visual style and environments to tell the narrative. With just enough game aspect to it, ie the problems presented and how to solve them, it saved this title from feeling on rails and or QTE like(referring to Heavy Rain and Asura's Wrath).

At this point in time, Journey is the BEST game i have ever played. Whether you experience it by yourself or with a companion, i don't believe you will be disappointed. For the record, i beat the game with one other person, who now is my friend on PSN, and without sounding corny, it really felt like a bond was developed during our play through. God DAMN this game man! Oh, the music too! And the graphics! All fucking top. Buy this gameeeee

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I'm back for a "trophy" run, and I'm wondering about crossing the bridge without restoring all the links. Which ones should I avoid restoring?

Also, how hard is unlocking all the trophies here? I hate for it to be frustrating and tedious enough to sully my opinion of the game.

Top Bottom