• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Amir0x

Banned
after my mom and sister played through Journey on my system, I have a
white cloak
now. they must have picked up the last glyph I was missing or something

after my mom and sister played through Journey on my system, I have a
white cloak
now. they must have picked up the last glyph I was missing or something

The power dynamic changes dramatically with it. It totally alters the way you go through the experience with a companion.

Just played it through online, wow it really changes the dynamic

I met three people on my journey this time

The first person was a bit dubious at first but before long we were singing to each other and creating the bridge
The second person must have been a pro because their cloak was full of patterns, we went through some areas together and they showed me some secret areas (I unlocked a new trophy!) Unusually, after a while, this person
sat down to meditate and then dissolved into a black cloud before my eyes!
The third person was a new player, we were together until the final moments. And that bit before the climax was just amazing.

I just LOVE how it makes you feel when you suddenly become aware that someone is close by

It's really hard to describe the effects it has on you as you play, it's like every part of the game is tuned perfectly to create an emotional response in you. Given that this is a multiplayer game, playing with other real people (who are unpredictable) it's hard to believe it works so well, but it does. It's just a perfect multiplayer experience

I can't think of any game coming for the rest of the year that can compete against Journey, I really can't

And I agree, this game resembles ICO in some form, but the emotional response produced here is much stronger, it's a far greater achievement after you factor in the online aspect. Whereas with ICO your connection is formed with an A.I character, here it is with other players

Is that bad or good ?
RaptorJesus.gif

So, do you lose your friend if you get too far away from each other? I wasn't THAT far ahead, so it kind of pissed me off that I lost him. Don't know why I bother with trophies/achievements sometimes...

aristotle

So, do you lose your friend if you get too far away from each other? I wasn't THAT far ahead, so it kind of pissed me off that I lost him. Don't know why I bother with trophies/achievements sometimes...

I still haven't figured that part out yet. I seemingly played with only one person last night and the 10 player trophy popped up. At the credits, 7 names were shown.

I've only played it twice and beat it the first time with one person the whole way through. He's now on my FL.

An interesting side note: if you are paying attention when your companion leaves, they blow away into the sand. Really cool effect, even though kind of sad.

Unusually, after a while, this person
sat down to meditate and then dissolved into a black cloud before my eyes!

This is a person disconnecting or leaving the area. Once you've beaten the game, pressing Start and going to the options screen allows you to go straight to the chapter select area at any time.

How does the
meditating
work?
I went to one of those wall picture glyphs with another player, as soon as we landed he sat down to meditate, chirped at me a couple of times and then disappeared into a black mist

This is a person disconnecting or leaving the area. Once you've beaten the game, pressing Start and going to the options screen allows you to go straight to the chapter select area at any time.
Ah I see! So he was saying goodbye.
:)

Meditating is the "idle" state of the game; if you set the controller down (or hold it still enough that the camera isn't moving), your character will sit on the ground. You also do this automatically when you pause the game, but I'm not sure it counts for the trophy this way.

Meditating is the "idle" state of the game; if you set the controller down (or hold it still enough that the camera isn't moving), your character will sit on the ground. You also do this automatically when you pause the game, but I'm not sure it counts for the trophy this way.
Yeah he must have paused, he sat down pretty much straight away which is why I was confused, I didn't realise you could pause lol

zroid

Banned
How big is the download for Journey? I'm running really low :X

Wish hard drive prices would come back down already, dammit.

You can also sit by pressing Select. It will count for the trophy either way.

scy

I'm still a bit confused as to "what" Journey is. I guess I should just buy it and see for myself, huh?

That moment where I first saw another player off in the distance is going to go down as one of the most unforgettable moments in all of my time as a gamer.

anddo0

I really want to play this but I don't think I'll be spending $15 on a 2 hr game. And I'm not even from the US so that 15 USD isn't exactly spare change. If this was a 10 dollar game, I would've bought it on March 6 (since I have PS Plus)

EDIT: but the reviews here are making me think otherwise

Non factors. It's valid concern from the outside looking in. But once you experience the game, neither price or length matter.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Near the end... the moment with the
waterfalls
that I have named
the crescendo
... it was absolutely exhilarating, but I'd become separated from my companion. After a moment of worry and frantic searching, I set to make peace with it and press on. The ride was amazing, and as I neared the end, I saw the faint white glow of my companion's call and we were reunited and were able to enjoy the moment together.

Pretty goddamned incredible. I mean you cannot write that, or plan it. It was emergent.

This game is brilliant.

I think at some point in the coming weeks I will attempt to put my thoughts into words... but for now all I can say is... goddammit, wow.

Despera

Banned
My partner was
white
, that's all I know. So I assume that meant he was a super pro, considering he led me to every in-and-out there was in the game....including the easter eggs of
Flow and Flower
. I'm guessing if you find everything you get to become
white
or something.

But genuinely, playing with said super pro did not damper my enjoyment one bit. This is simply not the type of game where it really matters on your first experience. The game has the illusion of exploration, but it's all rather linear and obvious (even the 'collectables' are, for the most, supremely easy to locate). So in the end Journey really is primarily about sights and sounds, and you're going to get that with or without a super partner. And I think my experience was enhanced for the simple fact we had extreme comradery fairly quickly, and by the end of the game we were practically blood brothers: we had adopted a barking rhythm melody, we flew practically the entire way with our alternating singing, we stopped and started with a sense of almost otherworldly predictability of the others' action. We even adopted a specific celebration barking melody, which we did after every level milestone (- ** --- * -- *). It was a remarkable feeling, this unique multiplayer experience... and this was with me and my fiancee exchanging controllers throughout the game. I would not have wanted to solo.
Oh I'd somewhat suggest against that, your experience isn't dampened in the slightest when you meet another person on your journey and they come and go to, it's an absolutely sublime experience as it was intended.
Sounds like playing solo was a bad idea after all. Thanks for the heads up guys.

test_account

XP-39C²
Non factors. It's valid concern from the outside looking in. But once you experience the game, neither price or length matter.
Indeed. The experience is amazing in my opinion, well worth the money regardless of the length. I've beaten the game 3 times already and i'm not tired of it yet.

sinky72

I really cannot say anything which hasn't already been said. This is one very special game and experience all rolled into one. I can see me playing this many times over.
Has there been anything announced or any rumours in regards to dlc?

Empty

the mood in this thread is causing a horrible test of my willpower to wait and not just buy 3 months of psn+ now. even amirox was won round, yikes.

I really cannot say anything which hasn't already been said. This is one very special game and experience all rolled into one. I can see me playing this many times over.
Has there been anything announced or any rumours in regards to dlc?

There's not really any reason to release any DLC

renitou

Well, we can at least look forward to the release of the wonderful soundtrack in the near future.
Is there a specific release date for this yet? I grabbed the Flower soundtrack as soon as it was available and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but found the music in Journey even more appealing to my tastes.

Fxp

Just finished my first play-through. These 1.5 hours was most esthetically enjoyable during my whole gaming experience until now. Simply amazing.

Ridley327

Is there a specific release date for this yet? I grabbed the Flower soundtrack as soon as it was available and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but found the music in Journey even more appealing to my tastes.

I think the only word has been sooner rather than later.

I'm curious to see how the tracks are arranged, since I suspect a big part of the reason why the soundtrack works so well is that it's interactive with what's happening on the screen. Old hat stuff when it comes to MIDI, but orchestral stuff has always been a challenge with that approach and the game pulls it off with flying colors, no pun intended.

No, but they've said it'll be up sooner than the Flower OST was released for the game

beat the game in about 2 hours or so. not sure i can say i've ever played a game QUITE like this before. i hate to jump on the "ZOMG INCREDIBLE GAME!" bandwagon for any game but i really enjoyed the game. i think this game, like a lot of others, is what you make it. the graphics were incredible and it was just a good time. it wasn't bloated with meaningless shit and dialog.

normally i would say "a 2 hour game for $15!? get the fuck out of here!" but i can honestly say it was worth it to me. came across 8 dudes during the journey so if it was any of you gaffers then thumbs up!

Started from the fourth level, because i wanted to get some glyphs.

When I finished all the levels with glyphs, i simply was not able to abandon my companion, so we followed together, even if he seemed quite new and he didn't helped me to find the rest of glyphs.

After the credits, I released that all the way has been with the same guy (and I got the Companion trophy). The bounds with that guy were better than with the people on my fist playthrough, so I remembered the nick and I sent a message through thanking him for the journey, saying simply:

Thanks, Jagged1973, for the journey.

Thanks to CacheMONETT for being an excellent 'white guide' on my second play through
last night. So fun, I felt like an eager apprentice just keeping up with him as he took me from stage 2 through the ending, showing me all the glyphs & history. Now I have the 'white option'
: )

I'll echo the positive comments you guys have been making about the wonderful aspects
of the online co-op. So effin' GREAT!

my psn: Konopko

W1SSY

I just got done playing the game and loved it. I got partnered up in the second area and we stuck together for most of the game. Probably the coolest thing was just tandem gliding. One of the best game experiences I have ever had.

I really feel like playing this game without a companion would actually take a lot away from the experience.

I just got done playing the game and loved it. I got partnered up in the second area and we stuck together for most of the game. Probably the coolest thing was just tandem gliding. One of the best game experiences I have ever had.

I really feel like playing this game without a companion would actually take a lot away from the experience.

It actually feels like two different experiences
I played solo the first time round, and the journey felt more like a lonely pilgrimage - when playing with other players the second time around, it felt like a series of events that were designed to draw two strangers closer together

Both times it was magical

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So i caved and bought three months PSN+.

So excited to actually play this.

phosphor112 put together a good guide a few days ago. If you're still stumped on any of them just ask:

Edit: Put the names of the areas in spoiler tags.

Nice to know someone made use of it. I spent an hour or so typing that out from memory (instead of doing work things at work).

Emitan

Just noticed an amazing new detail: if you're standing still and start panning the camera around you character actually glances around.

Top Bottom