• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

if only you could log out of PSN, oh wait.

because adding a toggle in the options of the game is too hard? logging out of PSN completely to bypass forced MP is still bullshit, especially when it adds so little to the experience to even warrant being forced in the first place. a game where i can't accomplish tasks alone, i can understand. this, i cannot.

Because it is a big focal point of the game.

because they say it is? no. when it comes down to it other people being there doesn't add anything beyond recharging each others scarves, and yay there's another person here.

are you mildly autistic

classy.

The whole point of the co-op is that you are on a journey, yes, but along your journey you meet these other people and share in the experience together, wordlessly.

I liken it to the kinder, gentler Demon's Souls because the co-op in both games shares important similarities - you meet up with a stranger you cannot communicate with in the classic sense, and you both attempt to get through the next obstacle together using visual cues.

until anyone can explain why it has to be forced then my point still hasn't been addressed. you can name call and lol like little kids but you still have yet to offer me any logical and dignified reasons why this game is BETTER with MP forced than it is with the option to turn it off. i don't like social gaming, you guys do. we already have a mutual understanding of that. don't get me wrong, i think it's cool that they limited communication and made it incredibly simple, but it's just not for me. i'd like the option to turn MP off without having to sign out of my fucking PSN. i don't think that's such a big deal, nor is it blasphemy when a gamer doesn't want to mix social aspects into his gaming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Billychu said:
It's not forced on you. Sign out of PSN.

If you happen to be logged out when the game starts, it also wont automatically ask you to sign in. It merely presents a short message saying the game is in offline mode and should you wish to go online, to enter the in-game options and sign in.

The account management tab already gives you the option to disable online play (navigate to it, and press triangle to bring up the option), games don't need to duplicate this functionality.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think his rage was created under the assumption that you'd have to completely disable the network connection under settings. Which would be bullshit, especially for people that use wifi and can't just jank out the ethernet-cable.

Now that it turns out that signing out of PSN, which can be done while in the game, is all that is necessary a reasonable person would say: "Okay, my bad. That's easy enough to adjust for my personal preference."

The unreasonable route is continuing to call this bullshit and raging on a forum. Pressing triangle in the XMB and selecting Sign-Out is clearly the same as being forced. (Do not look up "forcing", as pressing triangle in the XMB is not included in any definition I could find.)

test_account

XP-39C²
magnificent game, and at $8 i would give this a perfect 10..... if only.... IF ONLY..... they would let me turn off the fucking random people joining my game.

im sorry, i realize that a lot of companies want to make their games incorporate social aspects to appeal to those types of gamers, but forcing me to have to deal with random people in my game not only is annoying and pestering, but it adds ZERO to the experience. i could have done all of it myself. but no, they want me to feel like it was a team effort when it was anything but. there was nothing that couldn't have been done with one person. there was no sense of accomplishment when someone else unlocked a thingy or recharged my scarf. it was just "ummmm.... okaaaaaayyyy..... there's this guy here and he won't leave me alone."

it's MY journey, it's MY experience, and the social aspect totally feels shoehorned in and i think it's complete BS that they try and talk it up like it's a big focal point of the game. (at least they did when they first unveiled the game and were showing it off and giving everyone the first hands on previews)

so thatgamecompany: just give us the option to turn it off. disabling our internet connection is a fucking lame alternative and an insult.
All you need to do is to go to the XMB, selected the Playstation Network tab/icon, choose Account Management, press the triangle button on your controller and choose Sign Out. No need to disable your internet connection :)

It wouldnt exactly hurt to have an in-game option to disable coop play, but the game is maybe 2 hours tops (with much exploration), so being signed out of PSN for that amount of time shouldnt be a big problem.

I think his rage was created under the assumption that you'd have to completely disable the network connection under settings. Which would be bullshit, especially for people that use wifi and can't just jank out the ethernet-cable.

Now that it turns out that signing out of PSN, which can be done while in the game, is all that is necessary a reasonable person would say: "Okay, my bad. That's easy enough to adjust for my personal preference."

The unreasonable route is continuing to call this bullshit and raging on a forum. Pressing triangle in the XMB and selecting Sign-Out is clearly the same as being forced. (Do not look up "forcing", as pressing triangle in the XMB is not included in any definition I could find.)

i was using a generalization to imply that severing the connection between PS3 and Journey game servers must be done externally from the game. i didn't literally mean unplugging my router and taking down my network to play Journey.

i'll say it again. i want to stay signed into PSN while i play this game, and i don't want to have random people join my game. it's a simple fix. a check box in the game options. it's equally unreasonable to say that's asking too much. a simple feature request by an end user. albeit in my specific case it's one that causes me more personal grief than others, due to my preference for social features to be kept out of my games. there is no raging going on here, only being antagonized by users on a forum using words like 'autistic' and failing to read, causing me to have to repeat myself.

JWong

Banned
i was using a generalization to imply that severing the connection between PS3 and Journey game servers must be done externally from the game. i didn't literally mean unplugging my router and taking down my network to play Journey.

i'll say it again. i want to stay signed into PSN while i play this game, and i don't want to have random people join my game. it's a simple fix. a check box in the game options. it's equally unreasonable to say that's asking too much. a simple feature request by an end user. albeit in my specific case it's one that causes me more personal grief than others, due to my preference for social features to be kept out of my games. there is no raging going on here, only being antagonized by users on a forum using words like 'autistic' and failing to read, causing me to have to repeat myself.

If you don't want to play the game the way it is meant to be played, then the devs don't need to support you.

And it's not a simple fix.

Zia

because they say it is? no. when it comes down to it other people being there doesn't add anything beyond recharging each others scarves, and yay there's another person here

No, because not only does nearly everyone that has played through the game, except you, think it's important to the experience, but the experience of playing through with a second person is intrinsically linked to the theme of a life with companionship.

rCIZZLE

No, because not only does nearly everyone that has played through the game, except you, think it's important to the experience, but the experience of playing through with a second person is intrinsically linked to the theme of a life with companionship.

I agree. For me the way they handled MP made this a truly great game instead of good or even average as a SP experience.

Man, what an amazing game experience this seems to be!

I've played through the first two parts yesterday, showing my friend the game, but wasn't really his kinda game. However, today I asked my gf if she wanted to try it and while she initially thought it was a 'weird game', she played on and on, really enjoying the co-op part with helping the stranger out and vice versa, waiting for eachother, experiencing it together and I enjoyed watching the amazing atmosphere, visuals and sound!

That is, until she actually got stuck... I don't know if any others experienced any bugs in this game? It was in the
ice level, climbing up the mountain where you had to fly up or so using scarves?
. I haven't followed everything she did very closely, so I don't know where exactly, but it seems she made some errors climbing up and up, falling a couple of times, losing a bit track of where to go and she might have went backward instead of forward then, but a lil later, she was flying towards a place mid sky where she actually got stuck... Weird glitching black lines were visible (as if she was 'outside' the level or so) and however she (and later me) moved and tried to jump and whatever, we could only move a couple of feet and there was no way to get out of there...

Big bummer, it was a long level and she didn't feel like playing the level all over again as it seemed she was almost at the end (the music becoming dramatic too, or perhaps the stranger had already reached the end or so).

Had to exit my game this morning due to getting stuck on the same level. Didn't run into any issues on my first play through earlier in the week. I'm sure my companion was wondering where I went.

renitou

Specific reasons cooperative is a good feature shouldn't be expected when you cannot illustrate specific reasons why it's a bad feature. It's down to feel. You're in the minority on how this issue feels to you, and that's fine, but you expect more than you offer in the conversation, and that's not. :p

test_account

XP-39C²
I tend to agree. Very, very impressive presentation. Very impressive, kind of subtle commentary on linear games, even. Mechanically, very shallow. I feel like they could have done more with the central act of playing the game without diminishing anything the game was trying to say. It would have only enhanced the experience.
What more could be added?

Personally i like that there arent a lot of functions that can be done. Talk and jump/fly make the game simple for everyone to play, i think that the game is designed with this in mind. Kinda the same why there isnt any voice chat support, that they dont want human voice to interfere with the experience.

Misguided

Banned
Notice the qualifier you made about Journey, "what it attempts to accomplish." Ico is a much bolder and ambitious game with a lot more scope. It's like comparing the Pixar animated short in the previews to one of their full feature films. The full 2 hour film is going to have more opportunity for missteps than the 5 minute short. That's why I don't think they should be compared, they aren't racing the same race when it come to content and richness of game design. It's a disservice to Ico AND Journey. Apples and oranges, my friend.

I disagree. Journey manages to fit into two hours
the entirety of the important stages of life
, whereas the most important part of Ico, in my opinion, is the emotional connection between Ico and Yorda that Ueda and co tried to convey. However, I think that this emotion is ruined by, dare I say, the combat system. I can't really feel bad for Yorda when I constantly have to save her, all the while fighting this horrendously stupid button mashing sideshow that's just distracting me from solving the puzzles at hand. But yes, I think Ico does a lot of things very well that make it hold up a bit better.

Yamibito

You're kind of missing the entire point of the game.

You're kind of missing the entire point of the game.

Please explain it then.

I ran through it twice today. Enjoyed both play throughs immensely but I am still left wondering what the fuck just happened. It was the single most beautiful game I've ever played, the sound design and the music were amazing but the whole thing just made no sense what so ever, and neither did the co-op.

I might go out on a limb here an say that, yes, I don't get Journey.

Please explain it then.

I ran through it twice today. Enjoyed both play throughs immensely but I am still left wondering what the fuck just happened. It was the single most beautiful game I've ever played, the sound design and the music were amazing but the whole thing just made no sense what so ever, and neither did the co-op.

There is a plot to the game, it's just very abstract and requires contemplation and actually thinking about it.

Pay attention to the cave paintings during the cutscenes and you'll figure it out. :)

Yamibito

Please explain it then.

It's been explained previously in this thread but I'm going to go ahead and try and explain it simply because it's been described much more elegantly before me.
Journey is basically the journey of life- you're meeting all these people (possibly partners) throughout your life, some who stick with you and some that desert you or the other way around. There are obviously low points and high points of the Journey and depending on whom you play it with they'll either stick with you during these times or just try and get away as fast as possible.
At least that's my basic understanding of it- other people in this thread have explained it much better than I have- I'm just not so good at articulating what I'm trying to say in words about this game because for the most part it's left me breathless.

Leeness

I'm sorry you have no friends or the desire for any :(

Why would anyone not want a companion? When I played through this, I waited in the first area until I found someone. And I waited on my companion if we got separated. It just felt better having someone with me

And as for the actual backstory of Journey, I read into it as
the civilization progressed rapidly, to a degree where those technological machines were created and the inhabitants ceased to value nature and a 'human connection' between each other. Something happened which triggered the machines to destroy the civilization by turning on their creators - as a result, over generations the inhabitants have faced extinction, their land nothing more than a barren graveyard, the survivors forced to try and survive against these machines.
The 'Journey' itself represents a sort of pilgrimage, the remaining survivors clinging together against all odds, re-establishing their connection which was lost long ago, and their hearts and souls being offered redemption by reaching the mountain top

That's a general idea I have behind it.

Kind of blows my mind that anyone could think co-op brings nothing to the game, it's clearly where the gameplay shines

Leeness

And as for the actual backstory of Journey, I read into it as
the civilization progressed rapidly, to a degree where those technological machines were created and the inhabitants ceased to value nature and a 'human connection' between each other.

That's a general idea I have behind it.

Actually, with that bit
that was one of the little scenes that struck me as very sad. It makes me a little upset every time I see those two little guys yank their shared scarf apart :(

I think you're on point with the whole back story.

Actually, with that bit
that was one of the little scenes that struck me as very sad. It makes me a little upset every time I see those two little guys yank their shared scarf apart :(

I think you're on point with the whole back story.

Yeah that was sad
There's a few other little bits that kind of link to what my theory is too, like
the white glowing orbs you collect to extend your scarf are actually the remnants of other people who have completed their Journey and have returned to the land to aid others - you actually see this happen on the third level (with the green sky in the desert)
Collecting all of those orbs is required before turning into one of those White Ones, which makes you a stronger vessel to help other people complete their Journey, and then the cycle repeats!

People moaning about the 'intrusiveness' of the game and having to log out of PSN to play alone etc: you do realise by clicking "Do Not Accept" on the agreement prompt you can avoid the cross-play mechanic without having to sign out.

I still think you're crazy to play this game alone for the first time. One of the best experiences of the game is
climbing the snow capped mountain frantically dinging at you partner to stay alive in a vein attempt to reach the summit together

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wow... just finished. F-ing incredible experience.

:O

Shadow780

People moaning about the 'intrusiveness' of the game and having to log out of PSN to play alone etc: you do realise by clicking "Do Not Accept" on the agreement prompt you can avoid the cross-play mechanic without having to sign out.

I still think you're crazy to play this game alone for the first time. One of the best experiences of the game is
climbing the snow capped mountain frantically dinging at you partner to stay alive in a vein attempt to reach the summit together

The
last steps before falling down
me and my partner against the howling snow storm was simply an emotional masterpiece.

I pre-ordered Journey on wednesday last week. If I sub to PSN+ can I start playing it right now even though I didn't originally purchase it as a PSN+ subscriber?

Shadow780

I will probably be logging out of PSN also. I just think I'll enjoy it more alone. Who knows but I'm willing to take the chance.

Preference aside, there's no real detriment in meeting with another player along the way. If you don't like them just move on on your own. And in certain circumstances, meeting new players might invoke some feeling you may never felt before given the context of the situation.

The
last steps before falling down
me and my partner against the howling snow storm was simply an emotional masterpiece.
Oh definitely man, my sentiments also. I really implore people to play this through with co-op enabled for the first playthrough.

There are certain experiences that simply can't be replicated once you've played through the game for the first time (as I alluded to before). It's the anonymous co-op that, for me, sealed Journey as one of the best gaming experiences to be had this gen.

Tilian

Banned
Something interesting I've done twice now at that point:

at the end of the sideways slide, you come to a stop before you're able to jump down and finish the stage. Instead of jumping down, I stand at the edge and sing, waiting for another player to show up. Both times I've tried it, players have joined me in standing there, singing, against that beautiful backdrop. It's quite amazing.

Cool, I'll give that a try.

At first I felt the singing was kinda like barking at each other, and I was hesitant to hit circle for fear of appearing rude. But now my feelings have changed -- it feels now more like a playful comraderie back and forth.
Love this game.

Zia

Has anyone else used the chirp in interesting ways?
As I said, my first play through my partner and I sang a little song. He also led me through the first encounter with the wyrm by chirping like a sonar beacon. Another partner and I created a very simple language by rhythmically emulating simple speech patterns.

Mako_Drug

magnificent game, and at $8 i would give this a perfect 10..... if only.... IF ONLY..... they would let me turn off the fucking random people joining my game.

im sorry, i realize that a lot of companies want to make their games incorporate social aspects to appeal to those types of gamers, but forcing me to have to deal with random people in my game not only is annoying and pestering, but it adds ZERO to the experience. i could have done all of it myself. but no, they want me to feel like it was a team effort when it was anything but. there was nothing that couldn't have been done with one person. there was no sense of accomplishment when someone else unlocked a thingy or recharged my scarf. it was just "ummmm.... okaaaaaayyyy..... there's this guy here and he won't leave me alone."

it's MY journey, it's MY experience, and the social aspect totally feels shoehorned in and i think it's complete BS that they try and talk it up like it's a big focal point of the game. (at least they did when they first unveiled the game and were showing it off and giving everyone the first hands on previews)

so thatgamecompany: just give us the option to turn it off. disabling our internet connection is a fucking lame alternative and an insult.

Are you a sociopath?

All I have to say is what an amazing game. I loved flower and had a media blackout on this game. Wow. Love the music, the art style, and the co-op. Even though my partner would go ahead of me while I explored, he would wait for me. In the last 5 minutes of the game, I left him behind though...felt bad for that even though it was pretty much the end. I think co-op makes the experience so much better.

Pretty great game imo. Maybe not goty yet, but it will be in my top 5 definitely. The last area in particular felt wonderful.

The 1 issue i was thinking of before i played was multiplayer having to be random online players, as opposed to local multiplayer. But after having played it, it definitely made sense, and worked out great with people you didnt know.

But, their next game should be a single or optional local 2 player game, it doesnt matter what type of game, a Flower or Journey-type game, or whatever they come up with next, it doesnt matter.

To have to play a game like Journey with your significant other only watching instead of playing, they enjoy it, but they don't get the full experience.

Top Bottom