• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Just finished this game and wow, at first it was like ok this game is alright. But after the 2nd level it really picked up and I kept meeting other people on their own journey. For the last 3 levels I was with the same person I believe and did I feel a camaraderie.

During the
blizzard near the top of the mountain
was perfect I had my PS3 stereo headset on the whole game but that part was just wow, hearing the
storm/blizzard
roar and then the final footsteps was just beautiful.

thatgamecompany did it again, the gave Sony 2 great game with Flower and Journey. I wish them all the luck in the world in future endeavors they deserve it.

people just showing up suddenly and activating shit for me

that's pretty annoying

Well, I thInk you still have to activate the stuff yourself if you're going for the trophies. Same thing with the glowing emblems - they regenerate for the second person if the first person got it prior.

boingball

Even though I have plus, I delayed getting this until now. Does it still come with a dynamic theme? I didn't see it as a seperate download... =(

The dynamic theme is not bad, but it is not nearly as good as the Flower theme. It is some concept art from the game as a slideshow on your XMB.

I hope they bring out some real nice dynamic themes from the game.

people just showing up suddenly and activating shit for me

that's pretty annoying

Arghhh I am minutes away from playing this and I still have no idea whether to play it alone or not. I don't want to play with someone else who's played it already. I'm getting annoying I'll just shut up about it and play.
14 minutes left. Come on download!!!!

I haven't played a PS3 game in ages. What a thoroughly enjoyable experience this was.

Regarding multiple playthroughs...
do you carry your scarf into subsequent playthroughs? Does your appearance change when you play through multiple times? (Thought someone said so here) Also...at the end, where it lists all the people you journeyed with, do the different symbols next to their names mean anything?

I definitely expected/wanted more from the dynamic theme.

Those of you upset over "people activating things"...you should put the controller down and walk away.

Arghhh I am minutes away from playing this and I still have no idea whether to play it alone or not. I don't want to play with someone else who's played it already. I'm getting annoying I'll just shut up about it and play.
14 minutes left. Come on download!!!!

Don't over think it. Just get in and play. Chances are quite high you'll meet up with people just as new as you, and even if you don't, I don't think you'll end up caring.

Don't over think it. Just get in and play. Chances are quite high you'll meet up with people just as new as you, and even if you don't, I don't think you'll end up caring.

At the end of the game, I would not have wanted to have done it alone. I wouldn't say it was intense, but it certainly made an impact on me.

I wish other games could be half as clever as Journey.

I haven't played a PS3 game in ages. What a thoroughly enjoyable experience this was.

do you carry your scarf into subsequent playthroughs? Does your appearance change when you play through multiple times? (Thought someone said so here) Also...at the end, where it lists all the people you journeyed with, do the different symbols next to their names mean anything?

Those of you upset over "people activating things"...you should put the controller down and walk away.

Your questions, in order:
No, your scarf does not carry over into another playthrough.
Yes, your appearance changes; the designs on your robe become more elaborate for every time you complete the game.
The symbols are their "shout" symbols; it helps you identify who you played with.

Regarding the appearance changes and the scarf: if you collect every glowing symbol in the game, your character can don a white robe at the stage select area. The white robe has a longer scarf which automatically recharges when you're on the ground.

Nyphestus

Neo Member
First off, I was saving my first post virginity for the Arrested Development Movie Thread, in 2013 likely...

But THIS game...Seemed right that I post here first.

At the end of the game, I would not have wanted to have done it alone. I wouldn't say it was intense, but it certainly made an impact on me.

I wish other games could be half as clever as Journey.

This. Everything about the end felt more meaningful with that stranger moving right next to you.

neoism

First off, I was saving my first post virginity for the Arrested Development Movie Thread, in 2013 likely...

This. Everything about the end felt more meaningful with that stranger moving right next to you.

HOLY SHIT

Not sure if your suppose to die walking up the mountain... but yeah I played with 6 different peps. lol I thought it was just one guy the whole time. Shame I lost him right as I was climbing the mountain at the end. Game is fucking amazing. At one point the both of use were hideing from the snake things, and got in one of those little metal tunnel thingys. Well we stayed there too long and he attack us destroying the metal thing and it took some of the other guys scarf. Was totally amazing. I didn't even know til then you could loose it.

Fucking amazing first experience.

I think I just had a seizure of sorts.

Was pretty awesome.

So many holy shite moments

When you are in the cave/water area and the Snake thing pops up...I shat myself. Then near the end when you have to pass them, so goddam intense. This is a great change of pace in a game that up until that point was pretty chill. Then the goddam end area...sooo good. I normally don't feel for videogame characters but man I was so sad as me and my partner slowly died...then we ascend to "heaven"? Man what an experience

I'll probably go back through once by myself(offline) just so I can take my time (I didn't want to be rude and flop around when another person is trying to do stuff...it's a bit rude). and then once more with a partner hopefully they will stay all the way through
One guy left after the snake part...i like to think they killed him..so I dedicated the rest my journey to him/her..Steve

This may be my game of the year(so far) but while I'm not sure it's actually game...I don't care..worth every dollar.

if you have a PS3 find a way to play it. At least once..

HOLY SHIT

Not sure if your suppose to die walking up the mountain... but yeah I played with 6 different peps. lol I thought it was just one guy the whole time. Shame I lost him right as I was climbing the mountain at the end. Game it fucking amazing. At one point the both of use were hind from the snake things, and got in one of those little metal tunnel thingys. Well we stayed there to long and he attack us destroying the metal thing and it took some of the other guys scarf. Was totally amazing. I didn't even though til then you could loose it.

Fucking amazing first experience.

I totally think that was me..

Roynell317 is my psnID.

Either way I did the same thing...ended poorly.

Ridley327

The scarf doesn't carry over (gotta rebuild it every time), but every time you complete the journey, you get more decorations on your robe.

Zomba13

The co-op is with random people playing the game right? And not your friends list? Becaus eI have no one on my friends list since it's a new account. I don't want to miss out on it by not having a friends list.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This game is going to give me abandonment issues :< I was playing with one person and I had trouble getting across this one place and so they left me behind. But in the end I met someone else and we played through to the end. At first I thought he had left me behind as well, but I found him waiting for me. I wished to send him a thank you, but the name flashed by too quickly :/ Next time I will be more prepared.

The co-op is with random people playing the game right? And not your friends list? Becaus eI have no one on my friends list since it's a new account. I don't want to miss out on it by not having a friends list.

Yeah, it's just random people.

Also, you should add me! It's just Lissar.

neoism

I totally think that was me..

Roynell317 is my psnID.

Either way I did the same thing...ended poorly.

lol not sure can't remember, but my psn is ne0ism- I don't have that many gaf friends. lol If so that is awesome. :p

also goddamn I can't spell make since of my last post lol

Don't really appreciate the joke posting when people are trying to find real information and need to scroll waaay the fuck down before seeing it.

Or do you hate the game?

The only thing anyone needs to know before playing this game is that you need to buy it. The less you know, the better.

mattp

alright, been playing for about 45min. this is really fun
its fucking GORGEOUS, but man could bit benefit from 1080p..oh well

Played up to the second stone cutscene thingy. It seems interesting. Don't really see much purpose in journeying with someone else, but I guess that's the point. I do like that we can give each other jumps, but right now I can't see it adding too much to the experience. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong though if it gets better later.

Right now, this game has to do a lot for me to feel the same way I did with Flower. I hope it does, because I'm in it until the end.

Jaeyden

I read a few posts last week after PS+ went up and then steered clear of this thread for fear of spoiling it. I had a feeling the game was going to be incredible but I don't think I ever expected what I experienced tonight. I met someone else right after the first area and we journeyed to the very end together. Needless to say, it was something else. I was absolutely moved at the end. I don't think a game has ever made me feel the way I did finishing this thing. Just stunning. What an experience. Bravo TGC.

I haven't cared for any of thatgamecompany's previous output so I went into this super wary with all the hype surrounding it and now that I've completed it all I can say is that this game is incredible.

Big B

Had to stop when I got lost in the last level (yes I'm dumb like that) and couldn't find my way up again. Plus it may have been glitching out too.

Couldn't find anyone to meditate with me to get the trophy, bastards.

angelfly

Just finished it and loved every second of it. The part where
you slide down the hill and camera turns sideways and you see the sunset and the mountain
left me speechless. It was just so beautiful to look at. I loved Flower and I was not at all prepared for how enjoyable this experience would be. Another part that amazed me was
at the end when you faint in the snow and then you're ressurected. The amazing part was the feeling of wondering what was going to happen next and whether I'd see the person I went to the top with again. Catching up with him during my flight to the top was just gave me a really good feeling
. The only complaint I have is that
at the end they tell you how many people you actually played with and part of the experience for me was thinking the journey was being done by just me and another person but it turned out to be 6 different people I met along the way
. So far this is one of the best expierences I've had this entire generation. I'm also hoping they release the OST on PSN.

Just finished it and loved every second of it. The part where
you slide down the hill and camera turns sideways and you the sunset and the mountain
left me speechless. It was just so beautiful to look at. I loved Flower and I was not at all prepared for how enjoyable this experience would be. Another part that amazed me was
at the end when you faint in the snow and then you're ressurected. The amazing part was the feeling of wondering what was going to happen next and whether I'd see the person I went to the top with again. Catching up with him during my flight to the top was just gave me a really good feeling
. The only complaint I have is that
at the end they tell you how many people you actually played with and part of the experience for me was thinking the journey was being done by just me and another person but it turned out to be 6 different people I met along the way
. So far this is one of the best expierences I've had this entire generation. I'm also hoping they release the OST on PSN.

The part you spoilered. Oh man.

I was sitting on the couch with a buddy and I was doing it in co-op and we were both in awe.

What a satisfying game.

I went to do a bit of grinding on Mass Effect 3 after playing through it once and I shut it off after five minutes. Journey is so...elegant.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So I've been playing for a little bit, and nobody has shown up... how do I know if I'm playing in single player mode, or multiplayer.. I don't remember being able to select one or the other.

Played up to the second stone cutscene thingy. It seems interesting. Don't really see much purpose in journeying with someone else, but I guess that's the point. I do like that we can give each other jumps, but right now I can't see it adding too much to the experience. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong though if it gets better later.

Right now, this game has to do a lot for me to feel the same way I did with Flower. I hope it does, because I'm in it until the end.

After that part is where the game really picks up, and the multiplayer benefits too :)

Ive been reminiscing this game all day. Such an unforgettable experience.

I think ill jump on tonight too to celebrate the official launch.

Good move! Welcome stranger!

jett

D-Member
Wow.

First buddy I found, I had such an amazing sense of discovery. Just jumping around with him, helping each other reaching glowing cloths. And then such a sadness when I lost him after a dune rush. :( Got other buddies along the way, but the first one was special! I played most of it with someone, and I can't imagine being done any other way. Jenova Chen is a genius.

Yeah this game was quite spectacular. Magical really. I loved Flower, and this is up there. Visually it's breathtaking. Sony needs to throw all their monies at ThatGameCompany. All of them.

Had to stop when I got lost in the last level (yes I'm dumb like that) and couldn't find my way up again. Plus it may have been glitching out too.

Couldn't find anyone to meditate with me to get the trophy, bastards.

The meditate trophy is not as difficult to get as you might think. Meditate (either by idling or pressing Select) and many (most?) other players will see it as a sign that you're trying to get the trophy.

I'm also hoping they release the OST on PSN.

They will, we just don't know the release date.

LiK

Wow.

First buddy I found, I had such an amazing sense of discovery. Just jumping around with him, helping each other reaching glowing cloths. And then such a sadness when I lost him after a dune rush. :( Got other buddies along the way, but the first one was special! I played most of it with someone, and I can't imagine being done any other way. Jenova Chen is a genius.

Yeah this game was quite spectacular. Magical really. I loved Flower, and this is up there. Visually it's breathtaking. Sony needs to throw all their monies at ThatGameCompany. All of them.

OMG, Mr. Positivity ;)

I just wandered by someone who was meditating earlier and sat down with them for a minute, got the trophy! they must have been away from the screen or something
He popped up after a bit and we started chirping and dancing around in circles

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I didn't click with Flower at all - but Journey is a completely different story.

Oh my Wow. I'm in love.

Quick question about multiplay, say someone you run into who's replaying it, can they run ahead of you and complete whatever needs to be completed, I wouldn't like that at all, going to pick up soon.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I was busy with work but I finally got to play this baby today. Just beat it and all I can say is wow, just freaking wow. It was such an amazing surreal experience. Loved every second of it. Loved my companion(s). Stuck with the last one for the last hour and it just felt special.
Such a beautiful experience.

Thank you, thatgamecompany.

Quick question about multiplay, say someone you run into who's replaying it, can they run ahead of you and complete whatever needs to be completed, I wouldn't like that at all, going to pick up soon.
It depends on the proximity I think, if they go too far ahead you'll lose the connection
But generally yes if you're close by, and are with someone they can complete the same 'puzzle'

Top Bottom