• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

I totally think that was me..

Roynell317 is my psnID.

Either way I did the same thing...ended poorly.

Dude! Lost you
After we fell in the blizzard.
V1RXc.png

I also streamed the whole thing. Low res doesn't do this game justice though. http://www.twitch.tv/jpbrowncoat/b/311602660

Phatcorns

God damn so amazing. Kept losing people at the beginning. I would turn my head and then they'd be gone. But I kept moving forward and towards the end of the game I journeyed with the same guy and it was so amazing how we were able to communicate and learn what to do very organically and as a unit. So cool how as long as we're touching our capes glow.

At the end of the game we made it up to the mountain and we both collapsed. Then we began our ascent to heaven and somehow I lost him. I waited for him at the top and he never came. I walked all the way to the light and I even stopped and tried to look back to see if he was behind me. No luck and I pressed on. Fucking beautiful.

Sallokin

Wow. Just wow... Played it all the way through with a companion and I couldn't have asked for a better first experience. OddFandango if you post on this board, thanks for being a part of that. Such an incredible game. The ending literally made my jaw drop with the visual/music/gameplay combination. Just completely breathtaking and joyful.

XOMTOR

Just finished...and wow. I loved Flower and this is a worthy successor. Met 8 people along the way but sadly didn't write down their names. Shouldn't they appear in the "players met" section on the XMB?

Sorry if I may have foiled anyone's
meditation trophy
but I didn't look at the list prior to playing; wanted to go in virgin on my first playthrough and see what I could discover by accident.

Ok that was so well done. Amazing really. If it wasn't so late I'd go back in.
Still not sure if it would have impacted me more if I did it alone. First partners name was Italy something or other and we had a good vibe but then I lost him half way through. I looked back in sadness. Then I was alone for a while until my journey ended with fatboy89. Nothing wrong with him but I could tell instantly this was not the same person I began my journey with. Crazy!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Sat down with this tonight around 10 intending to play about half an hour or so, just to see what the game is like- finished the game. One hell of an experience. I had 2 companions, each for about half the game. Gotta be up in 5 hours now so I gotta get to bed, but I'll probably still be thinking about this.

Wow.

Bought this last week, just got to it today.

All I can say is bravo. Sat down and beat it in one sitting straight through. It was a truly amazing experience. Awesome time playing with my companion that I played with for the first
areas.

That is why I buy Sony hardware.

Jeff-DSA

I'd love to play, but apparently it's going to take 4 hours to download. This is ridiculous. If Sony does NOTHING other than fix the PSN download speeds next gen, it will be an enormous improvement.

ghibli99

Just played through this...

Wow, that was just sublime. Masterful in every way, especially how it handles co-op. This game trusts in human nature... and triumphs.

Bravo, tgc... this will be getting votes from me when GOTY time comes around.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Played through a second time.
Now my robe is getting AWESOME.

Still didn't finish with one person, even though I tried my best (first person quit on me.) I'm just going to have to keep playing until that happens (I want that experience :<) Also, the names are sometimes a disappointment once you reach the end. Sorry pwntang1337, your name does not impress me.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well, that was fucking incredible. I'm not sure how it panned out for everyone else, but I started alone, played for a while, and was joined by another user, my journey
ended alone, and I walked through the mountain pass alone.
Not entirely sure if that was how it was supposed to have ended, but I couldn't be happier never the less. Surprisingly my buddy was very polite, and we would often wait for each other. When my character tripped and fell he/she came running over to see if I was alright. We danced and sang together, while some beautiful orchestrated music played triumphantly - or softly - to each stunning new vista. Basically it was just bad ass.

ironcreed

Banned
Never thought I would have such an experience with such a short game. What can I really say? It is an absolute masterpiece and a GOTY contender, if there ever was one. I would even go so far as to say that it is easily one of the best of the generation. Just played it 3 times in a row and cannot get enough.

The absence of text or voice work and the way you interact is about in line with what I was expecting. In that it feels other worldly, and dare I say even like some beautiful alien experience that transcends human language and expression.

Forgive me if that sounds like some wild exaggeration, but that is about the only way I can describe it. Like the lack of voice or text in this game, there is no adequate way to communicate how it feels. You just have to play it and feel it.

While obviously a game, I honestly don't even think I can classify it as one in the traditional sense. It is just an experience. An experience that you will want to take over and over again. Which is precisely why you should not be concerned with the length at all. You will get way more than your money's worth. Just an amazingly original, one of a kind piece of work.

Well, that was fucking incredible. I'm not sure how it panned out for everyone else, but I started alone, played for a while, and was joined by another user, my journey
ended alone, and I walked through the mountain pass alone.
Not entirely sure if that was how it was supposed to have ended, but I couldn't be happier never the less. Surprisingly my buddy was very polite, and we would often wait for each other. When my character tripped and fell he/she came running over to see if I was alright. We danced and sang together, while some beautiful orchestrated music played triumphantly - or softly - to each stunning new vista. Basically it was just bad ass.

You can go through the mountain pass with someone else :)
I've not done so yet though

ironcreed

Banned
This game proves once and for all that you do not have to have complex gameplay, some deep plot with Hollywood voice actors or 100 of hours content to make a masterpiece. While I love my deep core games, this just stands out from the pack and is deep without uttering a single word or killing one person. If anyone needs an example for games as art, here is all the proof you need.

RyudBoy

Such a beautiful game. *sniff*

I wasn't paying attention during the last part of the credits and only caught a glimpse of companions I met along the way. Ran into 8 people but don't remember any names.

Leeness

When I played through tonight, I had a hard time meeting people! It was kind of weird. Only really met someone at penultimate area. Wonder if it was my network or what. Oh well.

Still beautiful, still divine, still stunning. Flawless~~~~

Oneself

I played through it in one sitting just now... I am speechless, I am amazed, I am sad it's over, I wanna feel it again.
I can't think of how a game could be more amazing than Journey...
This is probably my GOTY 2012 and the most amazing online game ever.

Thank you "That Game Company".
This is far above and beyond anything I ever expected it to be.
And this is probably the most beautiful interactive media ever created.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So, maybe I missed this, but is there more than one possible ending? And if so, how to achieve that... Anyone care to spoiler tag this answer for me?

ironcreed

Banned
On my third play through I met up with someone at the ruined bridge and we stuck together the whole way (Which awarded me the Companion trophy). The chemistry is simply amazing as you chirp, float and glide around with one another. It is like some beautiful dance between two otherworldly beings who are traveling together.

Shadow780

This game really brings out the warmth in companionship, none of those vile 14 years old yelling gay slurs, and misogynistic remarks.

A lot could be said in this game that without mics and ways to communicate, the simplest approach brings out the goods in people.

This game really brings out the warmth in companionship, none of those vile 14 years old yelling gay slurs, and misogynistic remarks.

A lot could be said in this game that without mics and ways to communicate, the simplest approach brings out the goods in people.
Oh but there is a way to communicate, and it's wonderful. :)

boingball

I have to say I am kind of envious to the people experiencing the game for the first time. Loved my subsequent playthroughs, but the first one was special.

Tip for people wanting to get Companion trophy: Start at the snow level and play with the same companion through to the end. That should give you the trophy.

chiba

Awesome game, a bit overpriced if you only play it once/don't go for trophies imo, and gafs exaggerated hype will kill it for a handful of people, but it's a great experience.

JWong

Banned
Awesome game, a bit overpriced if you only play it once/don't go for trophies imo, and gafs exaggerated hype will kill it for a handful of people, but it's a great experience.

I'd pay a thousand dollars for this game. Too bad there's no donate button.

ironcreed

Banned

I don't think it is exaggeration at all. This is truly one of those one of a kind games that comes along only every now and then and stands out from the hordes of shooters, etc.

angelfly

I definitely plan on playing through again but even if I planned to only do it once and never again I feel the $15 is totally worth it for the experience.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That was quick! ;p

What a cool experience, though. While incredibly short, it actually felt like the right length considering the gameplay. It was simple, for sure; but something about having a partner in which you don't know their name and can only communicate via a single noise is insanely refreshing.

It was amazing how we could get each other's attention, wait for one of us to (presumably) use the restroom or check on something.

But even cooler, is that I thought I played with just three people; but according to the stats at the end of the game, I actually played with eight. That's pretty darn neat.

The environments were cool, and for being just about 90 minutes long, it somehow really did feel like a journey. Without spoiling anything, I will say this is a game that begs to be played in one sitting.

In any case, I don't expect it to stick with me for too long; but it's certainly a neat game that's worth playing. Go in expecting a great novelty, and leave with a cool new take on co-op gameplay. The awesome aesthetic and amazing lighting are just icing on the cake.

depward

Absolutely incredible. Plays so well & the co-op experience was wonderful.

This game so reminds me of one of my favorite movies - The Fountain. Same sort of build-up in the "journey", great music & a memorable end.

So refreshing to play a wholly unique & beautiful game like this. Kudos thatgamecompany!

Top Bottom