• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Klytus

I was off work today and couldn't resist buying 3 months of PSN+ just to play this game in peace, even though it's released proper tomorrow.

I'm so glad I did, because Journey is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. Easily one of the top five games of the generation, it actually feels like I'm doing it a dis-service to call it a mere 'game'.

The common thread with TGC is that they make short, simple experiences that substitute depth of gameplay for depth of emotion. People might complain that there's not much 'game' there, but that's not really the point. Too much fussing over controls and what-have-you would interfere with the purity of the experience and the wonder of the environment.

The closest thing I can compare Journey to is the trancendental last few minutes of Aronofsky's 'The Fountain'.

sinky72

A really interesting interview Jenova. It's just a shame he was interviewed by someone who sounds like an idiot. I don't normally follow IGN so don't know if that Greg bloke was playing himself or acting as someone but he sounded pretty lame** What was just as bad were the people behind the camera laughing after every quip as it was the funniest thing ever.
Like I said, very interesting listening to Jenova's thoughts.

**or it could be that i'm getting older and missing something

So I haven't bought anything off PSN since Flower. I don't want to have to go to a store to pick up psn funds. Does Amazon sell codes?

So I'm guessing this is not possible. Checked Amazon and only see cards that I'd have to wait to be delivered. How hard is it to remove a CC off file from PSN if I purchase the game that way? I'm trying to avoid going to the store. Hopefuly lazyGaf can understand.

So I'm guessing this is not possible. Checked Amazon and only see cards that I'd have to wait to be delivered. How hard is it to remove a CC off file from PSN if I purchase the game that way? I'm trying to avoid going to the store. Hopefuly lazyGaf can understand.

Best Buy is selling online codes that they will later email to you.

newjeruse

A really interesting interview Jenova. It's just a shame he was interviewed by someone who sounds like an idiot. I don't normally follow IGN so don't know if that Greg bloke was playing himself or acting as someone but he sounded pretty lame** What was just as bad were the people behind the camera laughing after every quip as it was the funniest thing ever.
Like I said, very interesting listening to Jenova's thoughts.

**or it could be that i'm getting older and missing something
I won't watch the video because Greg Miller is in it, but I assume if he only came off as "lame" then he toned down his shtick. I pray he didn't have Chen shout "Beyond."

I'm so jealous of everybody on Wednesday who gets to play this for the first time. That moment when I first saw my companion for most of the game trying to fix the broken bridge is one of my favorite moments in video games ever. Makes me wish every game was an amazingly tight, downloadable 2-3 hour excursion rather than the boring and repetitive 15-20 hour long retail games.

Hear hear

TriGen

I've never bought anything off of PSN (because of credit card paranoia) but I'd like to get this, so I do have a question, I've noticed a lot of people talking about buying PSN cards and the DLC codes from stores is this because there is something to be worried about when it comes to using your credit card on PSN?

I've never bought anything off of PSN (because of credit card paranoia) but I'd like to get this, so I do have a question, I've noticed a lot of people talking about buying PSN cards and the DLC codes from stores is this because there is something to be worried about when it comes to using your credit card on PSN?

I can't speak for other people, but for me, I bought a PSN card when I bought my PS3, and never found the need to use my credit card at all. If you're just looking to buy Journey and the occasional game after this, it should be enough.

neoemonk

If I buy a PSN card from a store, is there sales tax? I'm pretty sure if I buy a game off of the PSN they tax me, so I'd essentially be paying tax twice.

Famassu

So when will the OST be released? I remember reading something about it, was it April or have they announced anything about it?

TriGen

I can't speak for other people, but for me, I bought a PSN card when I bought my PS3, and never found the need to use my credit card at all. If you're just looking to buy Journey and the occasional game after this, it should be enough.

Yeah, that's what I'll probaly do. I always bought cards for my old Xbox Live subscriptions, so I'll probaly just stay safe and simple with PSN as well.

just beat the game AMAZING experience from start to finish, play it through with one companion and we stick together till the end. a couple highlight of my experience

near the end just before you go into snowy mountain, the cutscene you got show two people in a journey (me and my companion) and in the very last drawing, you can see one of the robed figure is looking up while the other is looking down, when I finally control my guy again, my companion stay seated and not moving. I wait for a while and he still didn't move and I start to fear that the game is mindfucking me telling me to leave him behind, that my companion is no longer there and it's all part of the script. so I start walking to the next area when I got the bark that my companion is actually still playing. so glad to know he's still playing.

following the scenario above, when we both walk in the snow and just drop dead, my companion drop first, so I again though I have to move on alone and that really make me sad.

it's simple and felt like totally circumstantial, as in if things happen a bit differently, I won't have felt those emotion in my playthrough, and it made those experience felt more special to me.

otmane

If I buy a PSN card from a store, is there sales tax? I'm pretty sure if I buy a game off of the PSN they tax me, so I'd essentially be paying tax twice.

I've bought several PSN cards in NY state and on betbuy.com and haven't payed any tax. I suppose it's the same in every state.

TriGen

I don't get many PS3 digital thingys and I;ve never preordered one. Thanks for the info though man, figured I'd have to wait.

Yeah I don't either. I just am pretty sure their strict on their update times, if digital preorders allowed you to download earlier that would be pretty awesome though.

Urgh... Hate the fact that I have to stop playing this game for a week right now lol.
And no, I will not advance my clock. Even on flower I actually waited a week to play the game again.

Grabbed two more trophies last night - ironically on the same level - and just one away from 100%.

The fact that I can hear the music
from the mountain summit as you're flying through the gates and stuff
in my head is going to make this wait suck even more.

I want my Journey OST now... Threshold is a glorious piece of music.

anyone kinda wish TGC totally hide the fact that their game have online at all? I imagine if people don't know this game have real people playing online, we'd be thinking this game have really amazing AI or something. lol

TriGen

Technically I can pick up Journey for my JP PSN account on the 15th so I could very well do that lol.

Why would you have to stop for a week? Is it a game clock thing they do, I don't know much about this game yet just the bare details, hoping to go in kind of blind but I'd like to know this.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So when does the PSN store update so I can play the game? Anyone have any idea?

Whenever Grace Chen decides to get off the crapper and hit the switch.

In the past it would usually be up by 5 or 6 PM EST. Lately though its been way later, so its really just a crapshoot as to when its updated.

Why would you have to stop for a week? Is it a game clock thing they do, I don't know much about this game yet just the bare details, hoping to go in kind of blind but I'd like to know this.

I'm stopping so that I can get a trophy for it. And as I stated before, I don't want to advance my clock, since like when I played flower, I refused to advance my clock and just waited for a week to get the trophy.

Also, I own flower on my JP account so it'd be nice to also own Journey on it as well.

boingball

Also, I own flower on my JP account so it'd be nice to also own Journey on it as well.

You don't need to buy it twice, you can play a purchased PSN game on one account with all your accounts on your PS3. I bought Journey on the US Store with my US account (where I have PS+) and played it on my german account here from New Zealand...

(Though good for you to give thatgamecompany more money).

Zoibie

So how would you guys who have played Journey rate it compared to Flower? I just this second finished replaying Flower and now I remember why I considered it one of my GOTYs for the year it was released.

TriGen

I'm stopping so that I can get a trophy for it. And as I stated before, I don't want to advance my clock, since like when I played flower, I refused to advance my clock and just waited for a week to get the trophy.

Thanks for the response, I get it now.

You don't need to buy it twice, you can play a purchased PSN game on one account with all your accounts on your PS3. I bought Journey on the US Store with my US account (where I have PS+) and played it on my german account here from New Zealand...

(Though good for you to give thatgamecompany more money).

The only reason I'd buy it again is because I do have funds leftover in my JP account and would like to use them as well as I own the JP release for flower (known as flowery). That and I'm not really planning on doing a trophy run on the JP account but just to play. :p

Besides, TGC deserves all my monies because they made some of my most memorable gaming experiences. :)

So how would you guys who have played Journey rate it compared to Flower? I just this second finished replaying Flower and now I remember why I considered it one of my GOTYs for the year it was released.

I like them both and see them as companion pieces to one another. In flower, the idea that you're this little petal blooming all of these other flowers in giant fields is similar to how in Journey, you're this one person in a very big world traveling on your own journey. Similar themes when you break them down but I'd say that the payoff in Journey kinda edges it out, since there are bonuses.

Zia

I don't think the two games can even be compared, quality-wise. Flower feels like a haphazard EP, Journey a masterpiece of an LP.

Also, a relevant "What You Playing" with Jenova Chen up on Hookshot today. A preview:

“I also spent a lot of time playing Smurf’s Village, but I cheated. I found out that if you change the clock on your iPhone then you can skip the ‘waiting’ phase and clear the game far more quickly.

I thought that hilarious, like Terrence Malick's love for Zoolander.

Top Bottom