• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

SparkTR

so uhh where are the contrarians? where is cynic-GAF? where are the haters?!

or is this the most universally loved game on GAF since.. all time? i've only been here a couple years but i have never seen such an abundance of "wow" reactions.

thatgamecompany achieved what they set out to do perfectly, you can't really criticize that.

Ra1den

Regarding the ending:

I'm not so sure you actually die at the snow part. Couldn't it just be that you collapse and are revived?

Zoe

I think I screwed over a partner because I didn't know about
meditating
. How do you do that?

ScOULaris

so uhh where are the contrarians? where is cynic-GAF? where are the haters?!

or is this the most universally loved game on GAF since.. all time? i've only been here a couple years but i have never seen such an abundance of "wow" reactions.

You usually don't get too many negative reactions so soon after the release of a much-hyped game like this.

Then again, you also have to consider the fact that this game is shit-on-your-balls AMAZING.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One thing that I wish they'd done is display the people you played with in Players Met section of friends list, so that you can add them.
The way it is, you pretty much have to photograph the last screen.

Prezhulio

how big is the download?

i spent last night doing the data transfer of copy locked content from my dead bluray drive 60gb phatty to my new slim (100gb took 16 HOURS, wtf is this shit???), so if it's huge i might stop home at lunch to start it.

Ra1den

how big is the download?

i spent last night doing the data transfer of copy locked content from my dead bluray drive 60gb phatty to my new slim (100gb took 16 HOURS, wtf is this shit???), so if it's huge i might stop home at lunch to start it.

Between 600 and 700 MB

I guess I will be one of the few who feel this way, but Journey wasn't as good as Flower for me. For some reason Flower was much more emotional for me and I felt much more connected to the game and the world.

I played through Journey in one sitting as recommended. But due to various reasons, I ended up with 5 different partners by the end. Switching partners at various points of my Journey lessened my connection to the other avatar for me. Also I could not help but feel like I was being rushed through the game by my partners at times. It made me hesitant to just hang around and take in the scenery or explore the nooks and crannies of the world. I felt like I was being a drag if I did not keep up with my companion's pace, and did not feel like I was playing or discovering things for myself.

I would even go as far as to say I felt performance anxiety at times. I was afraid of doing something stupid like fall off a bridge in front of the other player. This made the game less relaxing that it probably would have been solo. I suppose I had the same kinds of feeling playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. But in those games you were supposed to feel anxious and tense. In this game it hurt the experience for me.

It's still a very interesting game I would recommend it to anyone just because the visuals are so gorgeous. But I wish I had played it the first time through solo.

I also wish I could play through this from start to finish with an actual friend. Sharing the whole experience from start to finish with someone who is not a complete strange might have been better for me.

I don't know, maybe I was not in the mood to play this tonight. Also there was kind of a big earthquake right in the middle of my play session that probably added to my anxiousness a bit as well. I'll run through it again tomorrow solo and see if I like it better that way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game, at times, really doesn't look like computer graphics at all. It's so stunning when you realize that.

Clear said:
Its not strictly neccessary, but it elevates the whole experience massively. Especially I think if you aren't really a fan of online gaming, it'll be quite an eye-opener.
If you are, I think it will even more so, as everyone's just so cool to each other. It's like the opposite of every online game I've ever played where everyone's just jerks to each other.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lord Error said:
If you are, I think it will even more so, as everyone's just so cool to each other. It's like the opposite of every online game I've ever played where everyone's just jerks to each other.

Good point!

Although I guess its the same issue being looked at from the other end of the telescope, being that I suspect most people who aren't keen on online play, feel that way because they expect random strangers to act like jerks.

ironcreed

Banned
Can't stop thinking about this beautiful game and will surely be diving right back into it this evening so I can try to find the rest of the glyphs. Think I might also go ahead and pick up Flower as well. I have only played the demo, but I am now craving more of that meditative peace which That Game Company are masters at evoking. Only way you can hate something like this is if you hate feeling good.

I just finished my first Journey and wow... I will probably write more later but right now I don't even know what to say... that game is nothing short of a miracle. It didn't even feel like a game to me, also not the graphics. Call me crazy I don't care but it actually felt like I myself was on this journey so immersive that it was. Anybody else had that feeling?

And then my companion I met and traveled most of the Journey with, I just felt connected to him/her as if we really depend on each other and have a bound. TGC delivered another masterpiece after Flower that is for sure, it may be short but it's intense and absolutely worth the price in my opinion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just finished my first Journey and wow... I will probably write more later but right now I don't even know what to say... that game is nothing short of a miracle. It didn't even feel like a game to me, also not the graphics. Call me crazy I don't care but it actually felt like I myself was on this journey so immersive that it was. Anybody else had that feeling?

The game certainly has ways of making you forget that you're looking at computer graphics, I agree with that 100%

sophora

Finished Journey for the first time today and with another player too. We got separated one time but found them again. Same player the whole entire game as my partner. One of the greatest co-op experiences I've ever had in a video game...as well as emotional. Shout out to Neonsquare, whoever you are. :)

Ra1den

Anybody else feel like reading "Hero with a Thousand Faces" now? Joseph Campbell was the main influence of this game IIRC. I've watched some of his lectures in the past, and I loved them. Time to pick up his books too.

neoism

just played it again with another guy... Psn name |PENGUIN| I think not sure I hate it doesn't put them in your player met thing ... :/ Well Second time was just as amazing. This game is a MASTERPIECE

Do you have to get all the glyphes and symbols in one "journey" to unlock the trophy ?

Subsequent playthroughs is fine. I went through a couple of journeys to find everything. The game rewards you for multiple playthroughs with a fancier red robe everytime you finish.

I don't think the stages have names, so I'm going to call it Sand Surfin' Like Whoa.
So, Sand Surfin' Like Whoa is one of the most glorious stages in gaming for me in a long, long time.

randomkid

decided to tossed off a review for my buddy's site after beating the game, i liked it. aesthetics were excellent, game felt like the world's most beautiful interactive screensaver haha. visuals would have had even more impact if i hadn't already beaten el shaddai. themes were heavy-handed but the experience was still fun, it's a lovely trifle that everyone should try out.

Ra1den

decided to tossed off a review for my buddy's site after beating the game, i liked it. aesthetics were excellent, game felt like the world's most beautiful interactive screensaver haha. visuals would have had even more impact if i hadn't already beaten el shaddai. themes were heavy-handed but the experience was still fun, it's a lovely trifle that everyone should try out.

Eh, personally I got absolutely nothing from El Shaddai, but this really had impact on me.

Dibbz

Just finished it with another guy. fuuuuuuck this is GOTY right here. If you own a PS3 you have to play this.

The coop is so beautifully done and the movement, music, everything is just jaw dropping.

Just played it through in one sitting, it's these sort of experiences that remind me why I love games and need to move out of the shooter zone I currently occupy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I keep thinking about this game today and recollecting just what it did so right for me. So many subtle design choices that made a big impact on the player's experience I feel. Will be replaying this game multiple times.

Ra1den

Collecting all of the glowing symbols will determine the scarf length.

Ah, cool.

This game does seem to have a lot of replay value, I didn't get a whole lot of orbs or see tons of glyphs, so subsequent playthroughs will still have lots to do. I'd be playing through it multiple times anyway, but it's nice knowing there's lots to look for still.

:')

I got like 8 companions by the end. I wonder which one was you.
I got eaten by that flying thing at end :p

I got about 4. Cool to see that I ended up playing with someone on GAF. I think you were with me at that part
I was freaking out when that flying monster got my partner hiding in the rubble

Bro-fist/Journey duet.

Top Bottom