• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Alchemy

I loved the game, thought it was fantastic, but I'm not sure how much I want to replay it again. I don't really think the game would feel nearly the same the second time, part of the magic was seeing everything the first time and exploring the world. While that makes the game unique and special, it really does sort of neuter the games value at $15 or something under two hours.

Ra1den

Every time I think about this game I get a nice tingly feeling. Can't wait to start my second playthrough tonight. Hard to imagine playing anything else. It's sad to think about how long it'll likely be until the next TGC game comes out.

KTallguy

Banned
I loved it, but I was too tired when I played it. Played it all the way with one other person, but I think I want to try it alone and see how it feels, test it more. The shortness of it kind of makes me feel good about playing it again.

I never got the impression that I was going to restore the world to a green and vibrant world like you do in flower. Rather, I figured that since you kept meeting 'the gods' throughout the journey, I thought that you would eventually meet them. You more or less do since you 'transcend' from your former self, become that shooting star during the credits and are then reborn to start the journey again - since the game is a life/death metaphor for the most part.
Hmm OK probably more that was just the story I concocted in my head then.

I'm not entirely sure what I expected from this game, but what I got was an amazing, unique experience. The isolation felt during single player - while not a bad thing by any means - quickly dissolved for me every time another player showed up, and was replaced by the excitement and wonder of traversing the vast expanses of this world with a complete stranger.

The catch for me was that the stranger immediately became MY stranger, which is what made the game work so brilliantly. I had more of an attachment to everyone I shared a world with in Journey than to any other player in any other co-op experience I've had previously. This effect was obviously the aim of thatgamecompany, as the story events also cater to this sentiment, amplify it, and by the end leave you ready and willing to jump right back in for another go.

The limited communication and interactions are a huge part of the feel of the game for me. The recharging of your partner's scarf via signalling, as well just standing very close to one another, does so much to silently nurture the bond between you and your buddy, completely within the context of the sparse game mechanics. The signalling using a symbol which effectively acts as your name is a cool choice - but one I felt like they could have done something more with, though I have no idea what exactly. Regardless of the fact that another person isn't necessary to go through any portion of the game, I found myself enjoying traveling alongside someone else far more than I expected to - effectively wanting someone else there at all times. In a game so reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus, what I expected to want to do was go through alone (Agro notwithstanding), rediscovering the mysterious ruins and creatures of the world.

Everything else about Journey that would normally be addressed when critiquing a game was, to me, as close to perfect as could be expected. The feeling of movement and fluidity of skiing and gliding felt great, and the controls left nothing to be desired. The music and sound in general was incredible, and I will certainly listen to the soundtrack on its own. The art is some of the most effective and affecting I've seen in a long while, maybe since Shadow of the Colossus. The inventive architecture and beautiful stylization of the world and denizens therein are unlike anything I've seen in a game previously.

Journey is going on my goty.cx 2012 list without a doubt, is well worth the full price of $15, and is really just a sweet thing. Fuck yeah.

I've only played about an hour, but it's a cool game. Journey caught my attention about a year ago and it's nice to finally play it. Surfing along sand dunes and gliding among ancient ruins is quite fun, and looks gorgeous. Playing with others has worked well so far. The game is simple enough that people quickly understand how to charge each others' jumps to travel faster and get to higher spots. Collecting shiny glyphs increase the length of your scarf to allow for longer and more jumps. And that's really all there is to the game. Go from point A to point B, checking out the scenery and playing with strangers who happen to appear.

The game is getting rave reviews, and skimming this thread reveals Journey having a profound effect on many people. Personally, I think it's a fine game but nothing which shakes my foundation. What makes Journey good is the same fundamental strengths all great games share, no matter what its thematic elements are-- the construction of a convincing alternate world that demands one's attention. This can be done in many ways. The world you explore in Journey feels like it could exist without you and has a story of its own, and looks very unique. In that way, it's immersive.

It's a fun game and I'm glad I got it, but it's not as special as the glowing reviews and opinions led me to believe. However, if this game is what it takes to shatter people's superficial understandings of what a game is, then that's good... for the most part. What is unfortunate is the trend in thinking that Journey is "more" than a game, when it shares the same core strengths as any other great game; more similarities than differences, anyway. I get the sense that some believe Journey is an antidote to the mega blockbuster poison, but to me the war of values between the indie and the industry is not as intense as it is made out to be. (If I could actually put the game somewhere) Journey deserves a spot right alongside the other cool games on my shelf.

Wolfe

Great OP, gave me a nice chuckle.

Only played maybe a half hour to 45 of the game so far but I'm loving it, sliding around in the sand while being pushed by the wind is so much fun.

boingball

I've only played about an hour, but it's a cool game. Journey caught my attention about a year ago and it's nice to finally play it. Surfing along sand dunes and gliding among ancient ruins is quite fun, and looks gorgeous. Playing with others has worked well so far. The game is simple enough that people quickly understand how to charge each others' jumps to travel faster and get to higher spots. Collecting shiny glyphs increase the length of your scarf to allow for longer and more jumps. And that's really all there is to the game. Go from point A to point B, checking out the scenery and playing with strangers who happen to appear.

The game is getting rave reviews, and skimming this thread reveals Journey having a profound effect on many people. Personally, I think it's a fine game but nothing which shakes my foundation. What makes Journey good is the same fundamental strengths all great games share, no matter what its thematic elements are-- the construction of a convincing alternate world that demands one's attention. This can be done in many ways. The world you explore in Journey feels like it could exist without you and has a story of its own, and looks very unique. In that way, it's immersive.

It's a fun game and I'm glad I got it, but it's not as special as the glowing reviews and opinions led me to believe. However, if this game is what it takes to shatter people's superficial understandings of what a game is, then that's good... for the most part. What is unfortunate is the trend in thinking that Journey is "more" than a game, when it shares the same core strengths as any other great game; more similarities than differences, anyway. I get the sense that some believe Journey is an antidote to the mega blockbuster poison, but to me the war of values between the indie and the industry is not as intense as it is made out to be. (If I could actually put the game somewhere) Journey deserves a spot right alongside the other cool games on my shelf.

Well, Journey is meant to be played in one setting. If you play it like Uncharted (I will play one or two levels today, then another one tomorrow, ...), you miss the point. It is like watching a movie stretched out over a couple of days.

Also you should grade the game only once you have finished it.

Ra1den

Did anybody use the Sixaxis controls for camera movement? I used the right analog stick, found it to be a lot more responsive.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I really like this post.

I think the game was great; an absolute must-play. And I enjoyed every minute of it. But I agree in that I'm disappointed it seems like so many are eager to bring attention to what makes Journey different than other titles. When, in reality, it excels precisely because of its excellent game mechanics that any other game, in any other genre, from any other developer potentially could share.

The game rises above the heaps because of its simplicity in control and easy-to-learn nature mashed with striking visuals and a simple (yet profound) narrative. That's it. I'm not diminishing the importance of such things; but it's sad that such traits are lauded and put on such a pedestal. I think if anything, that shows how disappointing current games are, rather than how exceptional Journey is. Kind of sad, IMO.

EDIT: Though, as someone else said, I think you should finish it before sharing your final thoughts on the game. I don't want to spoil anything; but the game should be played in one sitting.

My problem with the ending

It didn't give me a choice of explosion colors
....too soon?

For not telling anything about the setting or story, the ending was great. It really let me extrapolate what I thought would be a cool metaphor.

I love games with silent communication and I love co-op experiences that manage to make players be nice to their fellow strangers and be assertive in general. Even though I completed my first journey with 6 different companions, I felt very attached to most of them. Only one of them rushed his/her way through, the rest were really patient and liked exploring together, frequently calling each other for no reason, etc.

The first disconnect was pretty heartbreaking.
As we were traversing the underground passage with the monsters, my companion was spotted. I panicked and ran towards him and we both got clobbered by the creature :( I spammed the "call" button as if trying to ask my mate if s/he was okay and s/he spammed back, so we continued.

Nearly at the end of the passage my mate stayed a bit behind hiding among the debris. I got through no problem, but as my companion poked his/her head out to advance the monster spotted him/her again and trashed the debris s/he was hiding behind. I guess that either made him/her ragequit or one can actually die in this game (which I'm not sure of, can anyone clarify?) because when s/he stopped tumbling s/he slowly dissolved and disappeared. I felt so bad! :(

Later on
I got lost in the snowstorm with a different companion. We were both pretty disoriented I guess... the way we kept close to share warmth/energy as we covered the whole area trying to advance was very touching. This time it was me who got spotted by the flying monster and it nearly took my whole scarf off. My companion's reaction was the same as mine before, running towards me spamming the call button, made me smile.

This game is something else. I never cared much for thatgamecompany's other projects but Journey has left a really strong impression on me. :)

Suairyu

Banned
Did it in one sitting. Was one of the most affecting experiences of my life.

Really unsure if I ever want to play it again due to how powerful that one journey was...

I'll probably leave it a few days and let it all sink in.

Danielsan

I just played the game for the first time, in one sitting.
I'm literally rubbing away my tears of joy as we speak. That was bar none THE most amazing game experience I've ever had!
I seriously could hardly contain myself at the end of the game. Nothing will top this this year and probably the year after that.
That Game Company are masters of their craft!

I journeyed along with two people. One of them I spend most of the game with, and I was crushed when he left. The next seemingly got killed by one of the flying patrols. After that I finished the harsh Journey alone. I can only imagine what it would be like to finish the entire game with one companion.

Did it in one sitting. Was one of the most affecting experiences of my life.

Really unsure if I ever want to play it again due to how powerful that one journey was...

I'll probably leave it a few days and let it all sink in.

It's funny as I thought I could be one and done during my first run, despite knowing I'd go through it again for trophies. But damn, the moment I turned off my ps3 to stop playing... All I could think about the very next day was that once I got home from work, I was gonna play it again.

Dabanton

So i've avoided most of the media related to this as i wanted to go in 100% fresh. Would people say you say it's best to have a play-through from beginning to end as i want to dedicate some time to it.

So may leave it until the weekend.

Danielsan

So i've avoided most of the media related to this as i wanted to go in 100% fresh. Would people say you say it's best to have a play-through from beginning to end as i want to dedicate some time to it.

Playing it in one sitting is a must!

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah absolutely I would not have wanted it segmented. I turned off my phone and put a big "do not disturb" sign on my door.

panda21

i'm wondering about this too, how long does it take roughly?

Beginning to end is best.

Granted, on my first playthrough I only played until I reached the 4th level and completed it the next day. It was way more powerful during my 2nd run as I played from beginning to end.

i'm wondering about this too, how long does it take roughly?

About 1-2 hrs. depending on how fast you want to get through the game.

I just finished it in one sitting. I'm extremely impressed, what an extraordinary effort by thatgamecompany! Hats off!

I had a companion throughout the game, who helped me out a lot, whether guiding me away from those
"linger in shadow" creatures
, teaching me how to reach platforms, being my guide or showing me where the glyphs were. By the end I was so attached to him that at the final level, when somehow my companion got left behind, I waited for him for 5 minutes just before
the summit
, constantly calling to him. Seeing him finally join me for the final stretch was incredibly fulfilling!

I sat through the credits and they actually tell you who you played with towards the end! I played with nameless_guitar, miogre, cstreak and one more person (sylphie** something). I think nameless is from gaf? Anyone else from that list on here? My PSN is same as my username on here!

All in all, great game, a completely unique and aesthetically brilliant experience, and even someone like me who doesn't like MP or online co-op became a convert to the joys of playing with someone else! What an amazing game!

Danielsan

Does anyone know if there is a place where I can get a Journey poster or very high res screen grabs? I seriously want to decorate my home with one of the hundreds of gorgeous scenes in the games.

Thanks gents. I'll definitely play through it all on Saturday then.

Yeah, I guess I'll play it all on Friday, even though I've had it payed off since monday.

I did play Flower in about three segments and it was probably tied with my 09 goty so that was the original plan but there seems to be a consensus on 1 full playthrough with Journey.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, if it comes down to playing in segments today or waiting a week or so to play in one sitting; it's unquestionably worth waiting.

Does anyone know if there is a place where I can get a Journey poster or very high res screen grabs? I seriously want to decorate my home with one of the hundreds of gorgeous scenes in the games.

Check out the hi-res vg artwork thread - particularly the last page.

I actually asked if there were any hi-res assets and someone posted a few. Hoping more come out soon.

Yeah, I guess I'll play it all on Friday, even though I've had it payed off since monday.

I did play Flower in about three segments and it was probably tied with my 09 goty so that was the original plan but there seems to be a consensus on 1 full playthrough with Journey.

Definitely, Flower is more 'level' based, there's a clear distinction between different parts, where Journey technically has different 'levels' they're more different areas linked together, the narrative blends from one to the next rather than taking you out

What a fine game! Finished in one sitting with mostly one companion. Didn't have the heart to stop, so glad I got through it with my buddy.

mollipen

Not to gloat, buuuuut...

An9xNHRCMAAT_1h.jpg

Just completed it. One session. Was joined by a stranger for the majority of the playthrough (even got a specific trophy by the end for my troubles!) and wow... what a profoundly moving experience. It's a lot like Flower really - it stirs the emotions, but it's hard to say why exactly.

so1337

Just finished it in one sitting. Game's pretty awesome.

Love how they list the people you've encountered after the credits. The first name that popped up was a certain CugeHock. Alright.

Top Bottom