• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Cramoss

Just finished it in one sitting. Game's pretty awesome.

Love how they list the people you've encountered after the credits. The first name that popped up was a certain CugeHock. Alright.

lol

I remember a walkthrough video where at the end there was a Link2myBalls psn name or something like that. Way to kill the mood.

Okay after letting a few hours go by after completing the game I must say:

THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT.

The graphics shit on 99,9% of the games that have come out this generation, and the design has been so very carefully crafted.

The way you share heat with your partner, the communication, the animations, the scarf, damn. The game may be 3 hours long but you can get a lot out of it. I've already spent more time talking about it than playing it, and that's something.

The music fits the game so nicely too, and is so good.

I was expecting the game to be good, but after not finding flow or flower that great... this is a huge surprise.

This must be the first coop game where I actually feel the other to be my partner.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finished it, it's like "omegle: the game" in a sense. Totally loved it.

Here is something that happened to me.
Me and some other player entered the chamber/ cave with all those dragonstatues. After some whisteling we both decided to try to get on top of the highest statues. The next 30 minutes or so we were trying and failing and trying and failing to get on top. We kept going at it until we both reached it. The awesome thing was that there is absolutely nothing of note up there. This resulted both of us mashing really angry on the whistle button. lol

Danielsan

Okay after letting a few hours go by after completing the game I must say:

THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT.

The graphics shit on 99,9% of the games that have come out this generation, and the design has been so very carefully crafted.

The way you share heat with your partner, the communication, the animations, the scarf, damn. The game may be 3 hours long but you can get a lot out of it. I've already spent more time talking about it than playing it, and that's something.

The music fits the game so nicely too, and is so good.

I was expecting the game to be good, but after not finding flow or flower that great... this is a huge surprise.

This must be the first coop game where I actually feel the other to be my partner.
Yeah I absolutely loved the little touch
where you keep each other warm in the blizzard.

I can't stop thinking and gushing about this game. I'm listening to the soundtrack on Soundcloud as we speak. http://soundcloud.com/awintory/sets/journey

Zia

Not to gloat, buuuuut...

An9xNHRCMAAT_1h.jpg

Need as a t-shirt.

It would make zero sense. This game needs to be enjoyed on a big screen,with a great audio system/pair of headphones and in your home.

This may seem crazy, but a Vita version wouldn't make the PS3 version of the game disappear. It would simply let people play the game on the go with strangers who are also currently journeying somewhere.

Danielsan

This may seem crazy, but a Vita version wouldn't make the PS3 version of the game disappear. It would simply let people play the game on the go with strangers who are also currently journeying somewhere.
This is true. Ooh well. I wouldn't be opposed to it. But the PS3 already struggled with it at times and I think the audio visual experience is such an important part of the experience. I truly hope everyone gets to enjoy it to its fullest potential.

This is true. Ooh well. I wouldn't be opposed to it. But the PS3 already struggled with it at times and I think the audio visual experience is such an important part of the experience. I truly hope everyone gets to enjoy it to its fullest potential.

Vita + Portable Amp + Headphones = auditory explosion on the go

...But I have a bias as I've only played Journey with my headphones on so I can experience pure audio bliss everytime I play the game. :)

Danielsan

Vita + Portable Amp + Headphones = auditory explosion on the go

...But I have a bias as I've only played Journey with my headphones on so I can experience pure audio bliss everytime I play the game. :)
I played Journey with my Sennheiser HD595s. The audio in this game deserves every award it can get.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finished it for the second time. Tried exploring a bit more this time, but it turned out there really isn't much to explore. Journey is a very short and tiny game. I do think it's pretty great, and I love certain aspects of it - some parts of the game are simply breathtaking - but it's just no Flower for me.

My previous post did sound a bit like a final opinion, but it was meant to reflect my current thoughts mid-game. So, upon finishing it I can say I enjoyed it more since the second half of the game is so much stronger than the first. This game excels at stage progression, and co-op during the last sections of the game are tense and exciting. I don't think taking a break partway through diminished any enjoyment.

I'm always skeptical of games that seem to get praised for thematic elements like being nonviolent, quiet and "artsy," but Journey doesn't rely on cheap tricks. I wish more games had worlds this imaginative and alive. The multiplayer aspect seemed average to me at first but really impressed me later on once the dynamics changed. I especially admire the direction of Journey because no matter who you get partnered up with the experience was consistent-- you couldn't be a jerk and block a person's path, or do ridiculous glitchy-looking dances, or other things like that. I really appreciated the foresight they had in not only making multiplayer work well, but integrating it so deeply into the story.

Yeah, I think Journey's main strength is being consistently great at everything it does (design/presentation/sound/multiplayer) it's crafted in a way that there's really no weakness that holds the rest of it down. It may be shorter than some would like, or not have as many gimmicks or is linear, but that's exactly how TGC wanted it to be

Metacritic's got some strange reviews over there. One person has literally given it a 1, citing the price in regards to it's length. Then there's a review above it that's a 6, accusing some of the reviews being developers trying to sway the score in their favour. Jesus, people are morons.

Metacritic's got some strange reviews over there. One person has literally given it a 1/100, citing the price in regards to it's length. Then there's a review above it that's a 6, accusing some of the reviews being developers trying to sway the score in their favour. Jesus, people are morons.

I honestly don't care about metacritic's review aggregate, I usually care about what I think of games. But, it's nice to feel vindicated when the rest of this thread has been very positive on the game itself as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, I think Journey's main strength is being consistently great at everything it does (design/presentation/sound/multiplayer) it's crafted in a way that there's really no weakness that holds the rest of it down. It may be shorter than some would like, or not have as many gimmicks or is linear, but that's exactly how TGC wanted it to be

I will admit I do have a bit of a problem with a game called Journey being easily beatable in 1½ hours or so (maybe it can even be beaten in under an hour). I do wish it was a bit longer, it would just make the "journey" feel more epic. It's not an exceptionally cheap game either, so you are paying quite a lot per hour of gameplay.

I will admit I do have a bit of a problem with a game called Journey being easily beatable in 1½ hours or so (maybe it can even be beaten in under an hour). I do wish it was a bit longer, it would just make the "journey" feel more epic. It's not an exceptionally cheap game either, so you are paying quite a lot per hour of gameplay.

I've never understood the "per hour" line of reasoning, but I suppose others place value on different things.

Besides, I've spent about 12 hours on the game in total, and I'm nowhere close to being done with the experience.

I will admit I do have a bit of a problem with a game called Journey being easily beatable in 1½ hours or so (maybe it can even be beaten in under an hour). I do wish it was a bit longer, it would just make the "journey" feel more epic.

The problem with making it longer is that it substantially increases the chances that a person would have to do finish it in more than one sitting, which I'd say goes against a lot of the other ideas the game has, for example, the whole emotional build up and the climax to the end would be diluted if it took place over more than one sitting, and it'd be impossible to play through the game with the same companion

Roto13

One of the few games that's a worse "value" in terms of money vs. time spent than the average movie.

Feep

Banned
One of the few games that's a worse "value" in terms of money vs. time spent than the average movie.
If one judges the value of entertainment solely on how long one enjoys it...nope. (Not claiming you are, as evidenced by your finger quotes)

See: skydiving.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never understood the "per hour" line of reasoning, but I suppose others place value on different things.

Besides, I've spent about 12 hours on the game in total, and I'm nowhere close to being done with the experience.

Would you pay $60 for a 2-hour game? No? Then you do understand it, even if that example is grossly exaggerated. But my main point is that the game is a short series of very small environments/levels, and that just doesn't feel quite as "epic" as the name Journey would make you think. And also, like I said, I found that there is very little actual exploring possible, so I'm not really sure how you've managed to squeeze 12 hours out of it. I've played through it twice now, and I'll probably do it at least once more, but after that we'll see.

Every poem that isn't The Iliad or The Odyssey is obviously a waste of your time and money.

This is a game. It might be an "artsy" game, but it's still a game.

I'm not saying that games should be priced per hour of gameplay, but there is a point where a game is just a too short for its asking price. Journey is right on the edge of entering that territory for me. I don't feel ripped off, but... yeah, it's just so short and small. I guess I was expecting something a bit longer (even though I knew it wasn't gonna be an 8-10-hour game, of course).

Feep

Banned
So, I need to own something Journey related. Scarves or shirts would be cool...or if I could get a high-res image of a great shot from the game, I could get it printed on gallery wrapped canvas for around $120...

And also, like I said, I found that there is very little actual exploring possible, so I'm not really sure how you've managed to squeeze 12 hours out of it. I've played through it twice now, and I'll probably do it at least once more, but after that we'll see.

I've probably gotten 8-10 hours playing this game, maybe more, easily. I honestly just play through and if there's anyone around, I like partnering up with them. That's 1-2 hrs right there if you gain a partner at level 2 and go all the way to the end.

zethren

Banned
Great game. I'm assuming your cloak gets filled up more and more as you beat the game? Gonna go off for playthrough 2 :)

How about a simple hoodie and matching scarf? I'd buy the hell out of those! <3

Or what if the scarf was attached to the hoodie? That would be sweet too :)

EDIT:

Oh, and is there anywhere to buy/download the soundtrack?

You guys think Journey will ever be on Vita? I wanna hold out but I don't know if it will happen...

I doubt it. TGC only was on contract for Sony for 3 games (flOw, flOwer & Journey). Despite flOw being available for PSP, both flower and Journey are most likely going to stay as PS3 PSN exclusives.

Wouldn't mind being wrong though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd assume TGC will be negotiating with Sony for a looser extension to their existing contract.
I get the impression they have a very good relationship with SSM in regards to tech support, so I can imagine them being happy with continuing their connection provided they are allowed to work on other projects besides.

I really hope Sony will have the sense to keep them onboard, and don't alienate them by being too demanding.

Here is what I got out of it.

I think thatgamecompany is stressing that instead of worrying and spending our time focused on a specific dream/goal in life, we should appreciate the companionship that comes from the people we encounter and the beauty that surrounds us. People focus on 'the next big thing,' rather than what is right in front them. I think that if the game had ended after you died climbing up the mountain, it would have left a bigger impact. But, after multiple playthroughs, I started to love the religious overtones. I don't even subscribe to Christianity, but I love the idea that anything is possible in the afterlife, shown by the fact that our traveler reached the mountain with ease.

This. Game.

XOMTOR

And as for the actual backstory of Journey, I read into it as
the civilization progressed rapidly, to a degree where those technological machines were created and the inhabitants ceased to value nature and a 'human connection' between each other. Something happened which triggered the machines to destroy the civilization by turning on their creators - as a result, over generations the inhabitants have faced extinction, their land nothing more than a barren graveyard, the survivors forced to try and survive against these machines.
The 'Journey' itself represents a sort of pilgrimage, the remaining survivors clinging together against all odds, re-establishing their connection which was lost long ago, and their hearts and souls being offered redemption by reaching the mountain top

That's a general idea I have behind it.

Kind of blows my mind that anyone could think co-op brings nothing to the game, it's clearly where the gameplay shines

That's kinda the backstory I got as well except that it appears
perhaps war broke out between 2 factions/tribes and that they were ultimately decimated. In a later pictograph, it shows a star returning and the reborn figure wears a brown cloak whereas the original inhabitants wore white. Maybe each of them is forced to make a final journey, perhaps unknowingly with an adversary from the previous life before being able to finally ascend. Maybe it's the companionship/setting aside of differences that's the final journey.

Eh I dunno, maybe I'm talkin' outta my ass.

boingball

I guess the first thing when you go to the cinema the length of the movie?

When I first heard that the game was about 2hours in length I was also a little bit disappointed, but after playing it I understand why the game is this length and not longer. Also it is a wise decision by tgc to not go for bullet points but stick to their vision (and in fact stripping it down to its essence). Call of Duty does not need a single player campaign and Mass Effect 3 does not need a multiplayer campaign. Going for those bullet points makes the development and testing process more complex (meaning also more missed bugs etc).

And even though the areas you play in are not really big and the overall journey is quite short I disagree that it does not feel epic. At the end you really feel like you climbed a mountain
and lived a life

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Here is what I got out of it.

I think thatgamecompany is stressing that instead of worrying and spending our time focused on a specific dream/goal in life, we should appreciate the companionship that comes from the people we encounter and the beauty that surrounds us. People focus on 'the next big thing,' rather than what is right in front them. I think that if the game had ended after you died climbing up the mountain, it would have left a bigger impact. But, after multiple playthroughs, I started to love the religious overtones. I don't even subscribe to Christianity, but I love the idea that anything is possible in the afterlife, shown by the fact that our traveler reached the mountain with ease.

This. Game.

So your interpretation is that
you were dead for the last part of the game? To me it seemed like you either got revived by the white dudes before making the final ascent, or you actually never died at all and got saved by them. But then shooting off as a star in the end wouldn't really make sense, I guess, so maybe you're right. But then again, most of this game doesn't really "make sense".

Also, is it actually you (as in the traveler you played the first time through) starting a new journey over and over again, or is it just another traveler who will inevitable face the same end? Guess we'll never know for sure.

And even though the areas you play in are not really big and the overall journey is quite short I disagree that it does not feel epic. At the end you really feel like you climbed a mountain
and lived a life

I just didn't get that grand, epic feel from the game, unfortunately. Had it been 2-3 hours long rather than 1-2 hours, then maybe I would have. So yes, I stand by my opinion that the game is simply a bit too short.

On the emotional level, Flower moved me like few (if any) games had before, and I was really hoping Journey would do the same, but for me it fell a bit short of doing that. Maybe my expectations of the emotional impact the game would have were just too large.

Top Bottom