• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Endo Punk

Really made me feel sad when I saw my companions leave the game, I mean they surely were if they sat down and disappeared right in front of me after save points. The first time I saw a player in the distance I was running towards them chirping like a madman. Feels good wandering the desert with someone, but to see them not commit is disheartening, two hours is not asking much. Course I did eventually find a nice soul to accomany me to the end.

Also
those stone dragons guardian things scared me half to death, I avoided their lights but the ones I was with weren't so lucky., I frantically ran to help them in any way I can. Damn you dragon! ;_;

Though I didn't tear up with the ending it left me ... dear I say, wondering. I really can't play Journey again so soon as I feel I need to let my first playthrough sink in.

In a week I'm going to go for it again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I guess it could be cool. I just wonder about that kind of thing and how it'll impact new players over time. I've spoken to a few people in person about the game, and everyone seems to suggest their experience was 'perfect', and they can't imagine it another way, however, I don't think that can sustain. Just the day after it was released on PSN+ I was achievement hunting, and I saw a guy keep trying to sit down, which for me was good, because I wanted the achievement too, but if I hadn't already played it thru, that might hurt my experience.

While I do think that first play thru was a better gaming experience than I've ever had, something like Ico will always be the same, I can give that to anyone, at any point, and they will have the experience I had, I wonder what Journey will be for people a year from now, even a week from now.

Even yesterday I only ran into one new player (he didn't stick around.) I don't know that new players are going to have a lesser experience than we did at the beginning, but I guess only time will tell. Not all experienced players are going to want to act as guides (like myself.)

burgerdog

I mostly follow red cloaks as to not spoil the game for them. I would love to guide them to glyphs and symbols, but I'd rather they make that decision.

UrbanRats

No, I am not saying that it must be good because it is popular. I judge something by my own experience with it, but the fact that it has been so well received across the board from both gamers and critics alike still speaks more loudly to me than a few dissenting voices from the darkness that are trying to scream above the noise of all the praise. But that is only because the acclaim matches that of my own impressions.

I don't hear a lot of screaming, tbh.
In fact, if the praise keep going up and up, it'll probably kollaps on itself and receive an obscene amount of backlash in the coming months.
And that'll be too bad, because whether or not it's a life changing experience like some say, it's definitely a well designed experimental game.

finally played this (along with my wife) for the first time today. zen story-telling at its finest. didn't wow me to quite the same degree my that first play-thru of flower did, but it definitely wowed me...

very beautiful, unique experience - thanks, thatgamecompany!...

Even yesterday I only ran into one new player (he didn't stick around.) I don't know that new players are going to have a lesser experience than we did at the beginning, but I guess only time will tell. Not all experienced players are going to want to act as guides (like myself.)

if it's anything like how it was back in the 'demon's souls import' days, yes, the experience of those coming to the game later on won't be quite the same, but not necessarily any less mind-blowing. when a game's this solid at its core, i'd say it's just going to be a matter of 'slightly different'. not to mention, you can't really miss something you never had :) ...

Welp, this is going on my GOTY 2012 list. Not sure what else to say.

Think I'm going to need to sit my friends down in front of this one at a time.

Satch

Banned
I hope this game becomes a grand influence for other developers.

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus have always been highly praised for what they've managed to do with such minimalist storytelling techniques, but the industry never attempts to go into that direction. I want more Super Metroid, more Metroid Prime, more Ico, more Shadow of the Colossus, and more Journey.

Maybe Journey is the hero gaming deserves, but not the one it needs right now...?

Remember when Avatar came out and there were those blog posts and stuff about people who were depressed because Pandora wasn't real?

I basically get the same feeling from this thread as I did from those stories.

I don't even dislike the game. I just don't think it's deserving of a wankfest.

So I'm out.

Well, I certainly understand getting turned off by gushing. Most discussions could benefit from avoiding digs at folks for not appreciating things, but it's just hard for a lot of us to dial ourselves back, because this is GAF, and GAF reflects many of the most emotionally invested members of this hobby. It's often hard to get through an entire thread on here when a game warrants a lot of praise, because many of us are just persistently full of hyperbole waiting for something good enough to justify letting the flood gates open. Like with reviews, I often find myself skipping a bit and getting to the impressions from the dissenters as those are usually the ones seeing something from a different perspective.

It's a good game, it's not some sort of revelation, it's just something simple and pure enough for people to allow themselves to get really involved in and interpret how they like, and that's rather the whole intent of it. The only objective thing I think could be said about the game is that the online portion is unique and innovative.

If this thread is making you roll your eyes, get out now and wait a week, it's worth waiting to read more first impressions coming from less colored perspectives.

Ra1den

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=99xxHIzem_0#t=543s

Wow, this story got to me. Amazing how this little game can conjure up so much emotion in some people.

Wow. One of the great things about the minimalistic and allegorical storytelling approach is that it can mean so many different things to so many different people.

Regarding the glorious final ascent, I personally thought of my own personal struggles spiritually and financially, the concept of pushing on and on towards my final goals. An ascent towards and up a mountian can really be an allegory for most anything in life, and that is my favorite theme of the game. The whole death and rebirth thing didn't do so much for me, I'd have preferred to reach the goal and become like some sort of enlightened being or something, not have to start the Journey over again lolz. Then again maybe the acquiring of the white cloak is the process of going beyond a simple Journeyer into one of those elder white robe wearing guys in the cutscenes.

XOMTOR

Even after you get the
white robe
you can switch back and forth at the
area select. There's a glowing pad with ribbons and if you stand on it briefly, you'll see the ribbons change color and you'll be back to the red cloak. You can switch it here at will.
This way, if you don't feel like playing tour guide, you don't need to. Although on my last playthrough tonight, my companion
red cloak
already knew where most everything was.

Anyway, this game does have a way of toying with your emotions. I went through almost the entire game with the same companion sticking together like glue only to lose them at that last level...again. Was pretty disappointed and was calling like crazy but no reply.

Finally I pressed on and after a minute or 2, I see a white glow at the top of my screen and see my companion chirping like a madman so of course I did the same. When we reached the top, I don't think either of us stopped spamming the circle and X buttons. Anyway, we finished the game together and I wait until the credits finish and lo-and-behold, I don't get the companion trophy. So in other words, I lost my original companion and my ending partner must have lost theirs as well at about the same point and then each of us loners were paired up together. Still so happy to have been able to finally finish the game with someone.

Amir0x

Banned
That whole end sequence is so amazing though. It's such a perfect tone setter. I mean, you
slowly fade out to your death, you and your companion gasping your last little chirps as your heart beat eventually stops and you collapse. Then, immediately after, a burst of energy - surging through the sky, you burst through the clouds in something akin to an orgasm, you and your friend undoubtedly howling at the cloth beasts and each other and everything like two cocaine-addled mad men, swooping and swishing back and forth past each other, the pure unadulterated joy of living only now readily apparent. The game slowly removes your freedom of movement as you climb the mountain, and things like flight are completely stripped away... when it is returned to you in that final area, the experience is something freeing, like chains slipping off your wrists after years of solitude. And you and your companion will walk toward the light, together, sweet songs echoing off the mountain walls, until there is nothing but silence and the bittersweet melody closing out.

It's such pitch perfect direction there.

Zeliard

I had an interesting reaction to the
level where you first meet the flying snake guys, and they murder your scarf when they hit you. I don't think I've ever felt that annoyed at an enemy in a game, in a good way.
:p

And it's so brilliant they they bring it back
during your final trudge through the snow, since by then you just hate those guys and it makes it 10x more exciting.

Ra1den

That whole end sequence is so amazing though. It's such a perfect tone setter. I mean, you
slowly fade out to your death, you and your companion gasping your last little chirps as your heart beat eventually stops and you collapse. Then, immediately after, a burst of energy - surging through the sky, you burst through the clouds in something akin to an orgasm, you and your friend undoubtedly howling at the cloth beasts and each other and everything like two cocaine-addled mad men, swooping and swishing back and forth past each other, the pure unadulterated joy of living only now readily apparent. The game slowly removes your freedom of movement as you climb the mountain, and things like flight are completely stripped away... when it is returned to you in that final area, the experience is something freeing, like chains slipping off your wrists after years of solitude. And you and your companion will walk toward the light, together, sweet songs echoing off the mountain walls, until there is nothing but silence and the bittersweet melody closing out.

It's such pitch perfect direction there.

Very nicely put.

Also,
during the part where you are zooming through the sky with the snakes flying around you(the pseudo cutscene), I've always been alone. Is it possible to have a companion during this part? My same companion is always there when I start the final level, but during that zooming upward part I'm always alone.

kylej

Banned
Just finished it. Absolutely blown away. The "co-op" system is extraordinary. Finding a partner for the first time and flying across the world together, or having the camera pan sideways as we slide down shimmering sands with ruins flipping past my view, are a couple of the top experiences I've had this gen. Well done TGC.

ScOULaris

Very nicely put.

Also,
during the part where you are zooming through the sky with the snakes flying around you(the pseudo cutscene), I've always been alone. Is it possible to have a companion during this part? My same companion is always there when I start the final level, but during that zooming upward part I'm always alone.

I don't think it is possible to have a companion with you during that brief segment.

Ra1den

I don't think it is possible to have a companion with you during that brief segment.

Oh OK. I was gonna say, if it was possible to have a partner there, I'd been missing out on some cool stuff. Surprised they didn't allow it, would have been amazing.

SRTtoZ

Oh god I want this game. Is it really as good as everyone is making it out to be? I wanted to finish ME3 first but its really making me question that decision.

Ra1den

Oh god I want this game. Is it really as good as everyone is making it out to be? I wanted to finish ME3 first but its really making me question that decision.

Mass Effect can wait, your working against the clock with Journey if you want to have the best experience possible. Tonight would be a good night to play, there will likely still be many first-timers to play with. And the game is only a couple hours.

4th playthrough and I spent my time searching for all the glyphs. My coop buddy followed me the entire way. :D

I figured they would have left because i got lost and backtracked a few times and I even took a minute break to consult a guide in case i missed one, but they stuck with me whole way. I even got the meditation trophy because of that. Thanks mimigedon!! <3

kylej

Banned
Oh yeah I only got one trophy somehow too. I kinda want to explore and try for a bunch of trophies but don't want to ruin another dude's experience. Feels bad man.

Is there a way to tell if you've gotten one?

When you return to the stage select area, on the furthest right platform are a dozen or so stone tablets that each glow up once you've collected an orb, you might want to check out the little location guide from earlier in the thread if you're not sure where you need to be looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=99xxHIzem_0#t=543s

Wow, this story got to me. Amazing how this little game can conjure up so much emotion in some people.

NkCBw.jpg

I beat it again, the entire way with Ganaware. Whoever you are, I hope you had as much fun as me!

I sent them a PSN message, but afterwards I saw on their profile they speak Japanese, so that might turn out awkward. :/

Met up with a random person early on in the game who played with me till the end. Now I have a new PSN friend. :D Words can't even express how much I'm in love with this game.

Met up with a random person early on in the game who played with me till the end. Now I have a new PSN friend. :D Words can't even express how much I'm in love with this game.

Yeah. I fired the game up for the first time a couple hours ago and went through the entire journey with the same person.
I waited for them at the final ascent.
What an amazing experience.

ultrazilla

Just finished my second play through.

Here are the companions I came across in the game:

anklet
mukjmuku
skintightshppy
hiryu
ianchresi
krimgon
muchomor36
dallythunderbally

Some thoughts and a few questions so I'll spoiler them to be safe:

The second play through didn't pack the same emotional punch as the very first experience but I still got a bit teary at the final ascent with my companion and then ultimately walking into the light. I wonder if the shooting stars coming out of the mountain represent another player "passing into the light/being reborn"?

How does one obtain the white robe to play in?

If anyone is on the fence with this, buy it. I can safely say a video game that gives this type of experience doesn't come around too often(I'm 40 fyi).

Claude

Catalina's bitch
This game...

I can't even properly describe how I truly feel.

Now I wait
a week, then this will be my first ever platinum

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to get a PS3 for this game.

And, you know, every other game I've missed on the PS3.

pargonta

One thing I wish was doable, is to "perch" and simply watch player's on their journey go by one by one. This functionality doesn't seem to work everywhere due to how the matchmaking values the status of the level into it's algorithm.

two examples of where i would like to perch, and still allow other travelers to enter my game-

-bottom of the sliding descent, the dark hall.. perched on the tallest column near the shrine
- candle respite room in the frozen tundra, to be waiting there for a stray journeyer would be amazing.

as far as i can tell the functionality doesn't, and can't exist due to how the matchmaking is set up. that's okay, but it would be awesome.

ultrazilla

I'm tempted to get a PS3 for this game.

And, you know, every other game I've missed on the PS3.

I have no problem recommending someone buy a PS3 solely to play "Journey". It's that good. It's a "killer app" of the highest caliber and deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

And it just occurred to me that
there is absolutely NO VIOLENCE in this game. No shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, swearing, etc. Sure, there are moments of percieved danger but you never harm anyone or anything throughout the whole game. That's so refreshing.

Liberty4all

Banned
Just finished the game.

Completely and totally epic.
I didn't think it possible to love an ending more than flower's last level ... but this one did it

One interesting thing ... I thought I was with the same guy all game. At one point I lost him when I
fell off a cliff during the part at the temple cliffside where the wind is blowing
but I thought he ended up falling beside me. Now I'm guessing a new guy spawned into my game ...
the two losers that both fell off the cliff haha

At the end of the game I had four companions where I only thought I had one. I did get the companion trophy though so I must have been with one guy most of the way through.

My thoughts on the game ... so amazing. I'll admit I teared up abit
during the last victorious push into the mountain after dying in the snow storm. Also those fucking spider dragons. I was so pissed to lose my glorious scarf.

Agree with what everyone else is saying regarding playing this game NOW. It's not going to be the same even a week from now when everyone is going trophy hunting. There is something really special about two players not knowing what's coming up next, both afraid .... there were moments where me and my partner just both stood still giving soft little music notes that basically said "this shit is scary don't go too far ahead of me"

Bottom line this goes down for me as as one of the most epic, amazing and emotional gaming experiences I've had since ... well since flower. And it beats flower in my books.

Top Bottom