• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

burgerdog

Speaking of adventure, that's the only one I need other than return. Time to Journey~

Hope you feel better soon, Lissar, we love your art.

6 in section 1, 13 in section 2. Don't tell me you have to have 15 in one section :(

The heck? I got four in the first part and the remaining ones in the second part and got the trophy (was the last one I got before stopping for the week).

How strange that it didn't kick in for you.

namDa65

Finished getting all the trophies (yes I used the clock cheat to get the last one), and loved every minute of it.
The first time I played through the game was amazing, but I played it mostly alone.
Second time through I got the companion trophy, and had the same dude with me the whole time. As many have said, it's a totally different experience doing everything with someone else.
Third time through I met a white robe who showed me the glyphs I was missing.
Now I have a white robe and will likely pay it back to someone else later on.

The time I finished the game to get the companion trophy, I only had 2 names on my 'Players you met' list.
Anyone here have just one? That's be awesome in it's own way.

I had one name on my first playthrough this afternoon. He added me on psn immediately after we saw our names pop up.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
6 in section 1, 13 in section 2. Don't tell me you have to have 15 in one section :(

Don't worry, you don't! I definitely did NOT have 15 in one section, but I still got it. Could be that it glitched :< I guess you'll have to try again.

Speaking of adventure, that's the only one I need other than return. Time to Journey~

Hope you feel better soon, Lissar, we love your art.

Thank you :D This game is giving me so much inspiration it almost hurts to not paint them!

Chuckie

Don't worry, you don't! I definitely did NOT have 15 in one section, but I still got it. Could be that it glitched :< I guess you'll have to try again.

Thank you :D This game is giving me so much inspiration it almost hurts to not paint them!

I think I already did it 3 times :( Did you get it offline?

XOMTOR

I still have to get Return but I'm trying to do it naturally so I'm waiting a week before playing again ._. I hope everyone will still be journeying come next Friday!

I gotta stop playing first before I can get that trophy. Oh well. Next Friday you say eh? I'll make a point of it.

And thank you :D I'm hoping to do more soon, though not today since it seems I'm sick :< I had some things sketched out last night so it's frustrating I can't work on them.

Take yer time. I have your last one as my desktop wallpaper if that's okay? Anyway, hope you feel better.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Really nice artwork Lissar.

My friend lurks the forum but she doesn't have an account. She asked if i could post her work so here i am.

http://h9.abload.de/img/journey_julialqbuh.jpg

To be honest i envy people who can draw anything better than stick figures, lol.

That's some nice stuff :eek: It seems everyone is inspired by this game.

I think I already did it 3 times :( Did you get it offline?

Yeah, I got it offline. Strange it isn't popping up for you. I have some difficulty with Explore myself, but I didn't have to do it that many times.

I gotta stop playing first before I can get that trophy. Oh well. Next Friday you say eh? I'll make a point of it.

Take yer time. I have your last one as my desktop wallpaper if that's okay? Anyway, hope you feel better.

That is perfectly fine :D

burgerdog

Adventure get, that wasn't too bad and I missed two very easy gates. Return will easy for me since I'm going out of town for two weeks.

Amir0x

Banned
anyone else notice that when you're really close to your partner in the snow world, you warm up some and retain color?

I made a comment like 10 pages ago about the details, and how they relate to how the game encourages comradery:

Even the way this game forces you into comradery with whomever your game partner is is just brilliant.

It's such a slow gradual 'nudging' toward that individual.

First you guys spot each other across a windblown desert, each going around singing flags down. More than likely, you find no reason to be forced into solidarity; you guys will likely proceed to create the bridge in whatever order.
Next you may occasionally start to guide one or another to a glyph the other didn't know about while catching a ride on a cloth animal or something
Following that, you ride the sand surf - swooping in and out, side by side, over jumps and under arches, guiding one another down smart paths to reach glyphs or simply to look rad. The distance between one another shrinks
Then you are underwater, or something like that, and you begin to start having to hide from those giant cloth snakes... and so you start to take a path much closer together, to avoid detection.
Next you guys must activate a huge series of glyphs in this lateral machine of sorts, and so you each race from position to position, helping each other fly to make the process painless.
You stumble out into the snow, it's cold and it's harder to fly for long. You get ever closer to one another, to keep the scarf glowing for longer.
You begin to have to avoid horrific wind gusts, so you both end up huddling from behind rock to rock. You take up position together and rush forward together; you begin to become synchronized.
You now not only have to avoid the wind and cold, but the giant snake cloth beasts are back and you have to hide together beneath shelter to avoid its spotlight gaze. Your cloth scarfs barely work anymore unless you are right on top of one another, so you start to walk side by side without fail. Synchronization complete.
You end up walking that last journey together up that cold hill, just crawling toward the summit as you guys slowly freeze to death. You are now practically holding hands, as the only way to keep warm is to be literally touching one another. This is indicating by a dim red glow about your feet when you do this. It is just one tiny small comfort against the majesty and power of the storm, and there's no viable gameplay reason to do this at the end since there is no way to survive it... but you do it anyway. You need to do it. Your companionship is complete, how can you not go through this final tribulation together? How can you not take that step into the other side whilst you take your final breath?
You're free again, bursting into the sky of color and freedom and flight. And now even though you're free, you don't separate... you guys are one in the same, twirling around one another as you blaze a trail through the clouds. As you finish the game, walking toward the light, you both walk slowly as the light begins to obscure your vision. You or your friend will wait for you to make that final walk. There is no other option, really, even though there is.

That detail alone you mention would be merely 'neat' by itself, but as a package, taken as a whole with the clear intent of the developer, it's really special.

I really don't care how many times a similar theme has been covered, identifying with the beauty and truth of such a theme still has the same meaning and power behind it. This is just expressing it in yet another way. Whether one finds the from of delivery in this game engaging or not is of course purely subjective. I, for one, very much found it to be so. Going by reviews and player comments alike, I am far from alone.

The point was not that the theme stops resonating. It's that there's nothing inherently special about a game covering life that makes it particularly exempt from criticism, just because the theme is relatable doesn't mean the execution was good or that the message was subtle. The message in Journey is brash and in-your-face, really, and I've seen much better works on the subject. It's just that Journey makes it unique because you're interacting with it, typically with someone else.

I am not saying that the game is above criticism, I am saying that as a human on your own journey, you should at least be able to identify with that and appreciate the message, whether you like the way it was delivered here or not. Just because 'The Journey of Life' has been covered countless times and in many other ways does not diminish the message or other forms of delivery of that message. But I guess the cynical side of some think it too pretentious to dwell on or over emphasize such an 'over played' theme. Whatever, people will either identify with it or they won't. Like with anything else.

You can identify with a message and not think it particularly well delivered, or you might think - especially in a game - that the parts surrounding the message are ill conceived. Your essential argument in your original post was 'it's about life, how can you not like something about life' which is a really empty argument on its face.

So is the idea then that
the Journey never really ends? That whatever is between the cliffs, if you will, is unique and singular to the person and not the pair? The rebirth makes a case for this I suppose but even so...I wonder what really happened to the civilization in the end...

Truly, the final ascent up the summit in the snow with a partner has got to be one of the greatest moments in gaming for me this gen. In a game filled with so many "snapshot" moments, the futility and the persistence...amazing.

Zeliard

So is the idea then that
the Journey never really ends? That whatever is between the cliffs, if you will, is unique and singular to the person and not the pair? The rebirth makes a case for this I suppose but even so...I wonder what really happened to the civilization in the end...

Truly, the final ascent up the summit in the snow with a partner has got to be one of the greatest moments in gaming for me this gen. In a game filled with so many "snapshot" moments, the futility and the persistence...amazing.

I loved the
loop back to the start during the rebirth scene.

Very elegant.

ironcreed

Banned
The point was not that the theme stops resonating. It's that there's nothing inherently special about a game covering life that makes it particularly exempt from criticism, just because the theme is relatable doesn't mean the execution was good or that the message was subtle. The message in Journey is brash and in-your-face, really, and I've seen much better works on the subject. It's just that Journey makes it unique because you're interacting with it, typically with someone else.

You can identify with a message and not think it particularly well delivered, or you might think - especially in a game - that the parts surrounding the message are ill conceived. Your essential argument in your original post was 'it's about life, how can you not like something about life' which is a really empty argument on its face.

As I mentioned in my previous post, whether someone can jive with how it was delivered or even the game itself is subjective, I get that. But as far as my stating how I think one should at least appreciate the message on it's own, I stand by that, as the message itself is far from being an empty argument. Unless you hate the beauty and meaning of life and are sick of hearing about it.

In addition, were it ill conceived and not delivered all that well, I wonder why it is moving so many then? Setting aside whether it has been done better or not, Journey is still overwhelmingly effective on it's own. As is evidenced by acclaim from critics and gamers alike. Sure, some will not feel it or may not appreciate how it is done here, but they are obviously in the minority... by far.

AngryMoth

There's nothing more soul-crushing than doing a few puzzles with someone, sitting down simultaneously to watch a cutscene, and then they've disappeared when you get back :(

Just finished my second play through and this is pretty much my game of the generation. So perfect in every way.

Amir0x

Banned
As I mentioned in my previous post, whether someone can jive with how it was delivered or even the game itself is subjective, I get that. But as far as my stating how I think one should at least appreciate the message on it's own, I stand by that, as the message itself is far from being an empty argument. Unless you hate the beauty and meaning of life and are sick of hearing about it.

I can appreciate the message of Life and Rebirth. I can not appreciate the message as delivered by the game. Do you get the distinction?

In addition, were it ill conceived and not delivered all that well, I wonder why it is moving so many then? Setting aside whether it has been done better or not, Journey is still overwhelmingly effective on it's own. As is evidenced by acclaim from critics and gamers alike. Sure, some will not feel it or may not appreciate how it is done here, but they are obviously in the minority... by far.

is the argument you're settling on really going to be 'well it's popular so it must be good'? That's basically what this is, so I'll not touch that beyond the obvious repudiation of such shallow thought.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You can see some of the early prototypes here -

http://www.1up.com/features/the-prototypes-behind-journey

Thank you for posting this. I'm glad they went with the decisions they did. I much prefer the character design they went with rather than the first one they tried out. Also, kind of sad that people saw other people as "stealing" rather than "sharing". But in the end it works very well that it encourages you to stick close to one another to receive the benefit of having your scarf replenished.

Roto13

I need to unsubscribe from this thread. I'm going to try this game again in a week or so (lol trophy) to see if I like it more the second time, but the first time failed so hard to impress me at all and reading the gushing in this thread just makes me roll my eyes and like it even less.

That one guy who starts to cry when the thinks about playing this game. What the fuck.

Roto13

Oh noes other people like something I don't.

Remember when Avatar came out and there were those blog posts and stuff about people who were depressed because Pandora wasn't real?

I basically get the same feeling from this thread as I did from those stories.

I don't even dislike the game. I just don't think it's deserving of a wankfest.

So I'm out.

Zeliard

Remember when Avatar came out and there were those blog posts and stuff about people who were depressed because Pandora wasn't real?

I basically get the same feeling from this thread as I did from those stories.

I don't even dislike the game. I just don't think it's deserving of a wankfest.

So I'm out.

You just feel differently from others. I don't see the problem. The game is specifically designed to evoke various emotions, and like all of thatgamecompany's titles, it'll work for some and won't work for others. I don't think anyone here is being fake or purposefully hyperbolic.

People are just stating how they feel after playing the game, and if they feel that strongly about it, isn't that a good thing? We should want games to evoke the sort of strong responses you're seeing in this thread.

Chaos

Thank you for posting this. I'm glad they went with the decisions they did. I much prefer the character design they went with rather than the first one they tried out. Also, kind of sad that people saw other people as "stealing" rather than "sharing". But in the end it works very well that it encourages you to stick close to one another to receive the benefit of having your scarf replenished.

The speed up behind the player mechanic looked fun, but I understand that it kinda breaks up the flow of the game.

Ra1den

I'll probably be getting my
white cloak
when I play tonight. Can't wait. I hope companions don't start expecting me to lead them to all the orbs and such, as I don't really have them memorized yet.

ironcreed

Banned
I can appreciate the message of Life and Rebirth. I can not appreciate the message as delivered by the game. Do you get the distinction?

is the argument you're settling on really going to be 'well it's popular so it must be good'? That's basically what this is, so I'll not touch that beyond the obvious repudiation of such shallow thought.

Yeah, I clearly get that you do not appreciate the message as delivered by the game and that is fine. As I said previously. Does not change the meaning of the message itself, though. Which was my only point to begin with.

No, I am not saying that it must be good because it is popular. I judge something by my own experience with it, but the fact that it has been so well received across the board from both gamers and critics alike still speaks more loudly to me than a few dissenting voices from the darkness that are trying to scream above the noise of all the praise. But that is only because the acclaim matches that of my own impressions.

I honestly didn't consider any allegorical possibilities when I was playing it.
If it's supposed to be'the journey of life', I get that the 'winter' is death, but is the desert birth? What? I actually think you guys may be reading too much into it.
Could just be a scarf-person going on a journey. Regardless of its intent, it works fine for me as non-allegorical, abstract-meaning art.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'll probably be getting my
white cloak
when I play tonight. Can't wait. I hope companions don't start expecting me to lead them to all the orbs and such, as I don't really have them memorized yet.

I know where everything is but I try to avoid acting like a walking trophy guide. If something is easy to get to but hidden I don't mind casually walking over there. If something is way out of the way like the flower I don't bother. I haven't had a companion yet who wanted to explore over much, and I usually let them lead so I can match their play style.

Ra1den

I honestly didn't consider any allegorical possibilities when I was playing it.
If it's supposed to be'the journey of life', I get that the 'winter' is death, but is the desert birth? What? I actually think you guys may be reading too much into it.
Could just be a scarf-person going on a journey. Regardless of its intent, it works fine for me as non-allegorical, abstract-meaning art.

Note where the shooting star lands at the end of the credits. Look familiar?

Chuckie

Do you have to get all 10 orbs in a single game to get the unlock?

Orbs? You mean the symbols that make your scarf grow or the Glyphs that tell the history?

In both cases no.. but if you mean the symbols, there are more than ten.

I know where everything is but I try to avoid acting like a walking trophy guide. If something is easy to get to but hidden I don't mind casually walking over there. If something is way out of the way like the flower I don't bother. I haven't had a companion yet who wanted to explore over much, and I usually let them lead so I can match their play style.

Do you
wear the white?
Or don't you it to avoid high expectations?

Ra1den

Yeah this is probably what I should do. Especially considering you never know which things the people have already found.

Do you have to get all 10 orbs in a single game to get the unlock?

Nope. And is there only 10?

armv

In order to get the
white cloak
, do I need to complete the game?

I went to a specific chapter to get the last glowing symbol I needed and received the trophy for finding all of them. I then proceeded to quit the game and re-enter. When I visit the shrine, I'm missing one glowing rock.

jett

D-Member
Orbs? You mean the symbols that make your scarf grow or the Glyphs that tell the history?

In both cases no.. but if you mean the symbols, there are more than ten.

So I need to get all the symbols then? Are the glyphs good for anything?

Chopper

So I need to get all the symbols then? Are the glyphs good for anything?

Getting all the symbols bags you a
White robe, the only unlockable in the game
, as well as a trophy.

Getting all the glyphs just gets you the trophy.

Both can be done in multiple playthroughs, and using the chapter select to collect new symbols requires you to finish the level in order for it to register at the altar.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
In order to get the
white cloak

I went to a specific chapter to get the last glowing symbol I needed and received the trophy for finding all of them. I then proceeded to quit the game and re-enter. When I visit the shrine, I'm missing one glowing rock.

Hmm, I'm not sure whether or not you have to. I did when I played, so that might be the case. If so, you can just start from the final level that you can select.

Ra1den

I love how everybody keeps remembering to spoiler tag the
white robe
. Us fellow Journeymen/women are so considerate.

Chopper

I love how everybody keeps remembering to spoiler tag the
white robe
. Us fellow Journeymen/women are so considerate.

Give it a week, and newcomers will just assume that all companions wear
white
. At that point we can stop spoiler tagging it.

jett

D-Member
I wonder how many people saw the unlock via the game without knowing what it was. That would kind of suck.

I did, but it was on my second run. It didn't suck at all, it was a really awesome surprise. I had no idea what it was. I thought I had run into a developer of the game or something, the guy knew every secret. :p

Chaos

In order to get the
white cloak

Whenever I unlocked a trophy I made sure I continued to the end of the level I was in so it would save, not sure if that makes a difference.

StuBurns

Banned
I did, but it was on my second run. It didn't suck at all, it was a really awesome surprise. I had no idea what it was. I thought I had run into a developer of the game or something, the guy knew every secret. :p
I guess it could be cool. I just wonder about that kind of thing and how it'll impact new players over time. I've spoken to a few people in person about the game, and everyone seems to suggest their experience was 'perfect', and they can't imagine it another way, however, I don't think that can sustain. Just the day after it was released on PSN+ I was achievement hunting, and I saw a guy keep trying to sit down, which for me was good, because I wanted the achievement too, but if I hadn't already played it thru, that might hurt my experience.

While I do think that first play thru was a better gaming experience than I've ever had, something like Ico will always be the same, I can give that to anyone, at any point, and they will have the experience I had, I wonder what Journey will be for people a year from now, even a week from now.

ScOULaris

Just got dat
white robe
. I think I'll do some shepherding tomorrow. Gotta pass on my knowledge to the coming generation, y'know? ;)

I guess it could be cool. I just wonder about that kind of thing and how it'll impact new players over time. I've spoken to a few people in person about the game, and everyone seems to suggest their experience was 'perfect', and they can't imagine it another way, however, I don't think that can sustain. Just the day after it was released on PSN+ I was achievement hunting, and I saw a guy keep trying to sit down, which for me was good, because I wanted the achievement too, but if I hadn't already played it thru, that might hurt my experience.

While I do think that first play thru was a better gaming experience than I've ever had, something like Ico will always be the same, I can give that to anyone, at any point, and they will have the experience I had, I wonder what Journey will be for people a year from now, even a week from now.
I wonder/worry about this as well. Those of us who bought it and played it on launch day really got the best experience possible.

Tilian

Banned
Just finished what must be my 10th or something journey. Something cool this time--
I met another white cloak and we climbed the tower together without filling the chamber at all. At parts you have to recharge each other mid-flight. Bit tricky.
Anybody try this or something similar?

Just finished what must be my 10th or something journey. Something cool this time--
I met another white cloak and we climbed the tower together without filling the chamber at all. At parts you have to recharge each other mid-flight. Bit tricky.
Anybody try this or something similar?

Anything obtainable by yourself.

Top Bottom