• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Chitown B

I very much suggest buying this game ASAP, before it is overrun with those who have beaten it many times and are only looking for the trophies. Because it's great to have someone with you who is playing for the first time and is as clueless as you.

Ra1den

I very much suggest buying this game ASAP, before it is overrun with those who have beaten it many times and are only looking for the trophies. Because it's great to have someone with you who is playing for the first time and is as clueless as you.

Yeah that's great. Really, it's fun to play every different way, with veterans, newbies, etc...but eventually you won't be able to find many newbies, so now is the time to buy it.

namDa65

This game is beautiful. Just finished the game 10 minutes ago, worth my 15$.

So much better than the overrated flower.

Buy this game, it is better if you have no clue what this game is about going into it.

ScOULaris

I worry about this for people who buy it even a few weeks/months after release. Playing it with someone who is experienced is nowhere near as rewarding as playing with someone who is also going through it for the first time.

Us early adopters really got the best experience possible from this game.

UrbanRats

2nd run was much better.
I also took the "companion" trophy with this one, and i could swear i was with the same person for most of the journey but, at the end, it gave me like 8 names.. what the hell? :( I don't know who it was now.

Chuckie

2nd run was much better.
I also took the "companion" trophy with this one, and i could swear i was with the same person for most of the journey but, at the end, it gave me like 8 names.. what the hell? :( I don't know who it was now.

If you finished it with him, it was the last on the list.

Chitown B

2nd run was much better.

I got it with 5 people, but I think the last person I was with at least half the game. The issue is if they get to the transition point and sit down and you are looking around for 15 more seconds or so, they move on and you lose them :(

Steambox HAH! I've got myself a Thatgamecompanybox. Bought the PS3 for KZ3(lololol) but have pretty much only played Flower & Journey since.

Kinyou

Just a small question;
How long is the game? Reading a little in this thread makes it appear like it's supposed to be played through in one run.

Also how long do you think will the online community last? If I should buy the game in one month could there be no one left to play with?

Steambox HAH! I've got myself a Thatgamecompanybox. Bought the PS3 for KZ3(lololol) but have pretty much only played Flower & Journey since.

Also check out flOw. It's TGC's first PSN game and it's quite relaxing to play too actually. Played better than the flash version you can find online, mostly due to controls.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh come on now :/

Did not mean to sound like an ass with that comment. Let me rephrase it this way. I just don't see how one could not at least come away appreciating the metaphor of life this game provides.

Underneath the surface of being just a fun little gem to glide through with a charming cloaked stick figure in beautiful environments, the game brings to mind feelings that resonate with our own journey in life. For example:

- The magic and beauty of just being here on our own journey
- The companions you find along the way. Those you met and have lost track of along the way... and those that have stuck with you through thick and thin.
- The struggles and feeling of defeat while on your way to a goal, and the subsequent redemption (resurrection) through perseverance and determination
- Reaching the goal you set and walking into the light with held held high in accomplishment.

We all have many little 'journeys' in life, with life itself being the biggest one of them all. Keeping that in mind, not a soul alive can't resonate with that. Which is why I don't see how anyone could not at least come away with an appreciation for that alone, whether they like the game part on the surface or not. That is all I meant to say.

Also check out flOw. It's TGC's first PSN game and it's quite relaxing to play too actually. Played better than the flash version you can find online, mostly due to controls.

Thanks I will check it out. Don't think I've heard of it. Would youtube it to see if it looks familiar but my new work computer doesn't seem to want me to watch any youtube vidoes. Arghh!!!!

Ra1den

I've been thinking carefully about how this game manages to have such a profound effect on so many people, myself included. Well here is a passage from the great thinker and philosopher Krishnamurti which may explain it:

“How beautiful it is,” what is the feeling behind that? What is the nature, the quality of emotion, the surging of something? Is that beauty? Or is beauty the total absence of the observer? When there is only complete observation, in which there is no choice, no division, there must be this sense of beauty. That may be that which is sacred.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Game was amazing, I loved it. Music, the art style and direction, playing with another person were all fantastic.

Beat this game last night, and i LOVED it. Needed something to wipe the taste of me3's ending out of my mouth, and this game did the job perfectly. Met up with one person pretty early on, and we stuck together for over half of the game. I lost him in the
dark area where you first meet the dragons
, and i stood there for about 15 minutes looking for him and pinging. Didn't even know the dude's freakin' name, and i couldn't believe that he had that much of an attachment to me. All i remember was that he was trying to blow thru the game, since my scarf was twice his length.

The second dude i met in the tower-looking structure, and he had a pretty long scarf. Stuck with him to the end. I was speechless the whole game, and my only regret was not writing down/adding the two people that i experienced this journey with.

And quick question: does your scarf length carry over?

Thanks I will check it out. Don't think I've heard of it. Would youtube it to see if it looks familiar but my new work computer doesn't seem to want me to watch any youtube vidoes. Arghh!!!!

Cool. And it's not much of a 'game' per se, but it's neat watching your character grow after eating other microorganisms while swimming around.

Here's the flash link: flow

And quick question: does your scarf length carry over?

Nope. You always start out with a short scarf.

Miggytronz

cad-20120316-bb7f9.png

Did not mean to sound like an ass with that comment. Let me rephrase it this way. I just don't see how one could not at least come away appreciating the metaphor of life this game provides.

Underneath the surface of being just a fun little gem to glide through with a charming cloaked stick figure in beautiful environments, the game brings to mind feelings that resonate with our own journey in life. For example:

- The companions you find along the way. Those you met and have lost track of along the way... and those that have stuck with you through thick and thin.
- The struggles and feeling of defeat while on your way to a goal, and the subsequent redemption (resurrection) through perseverance and determination
- Reaching the goal you set and walking into the light with held held high in accomplishment.

We all have many little 'journeys' in life, with life itself being the biggest one of them all. Keeping that in mind, not a soul alive can't resonate with that. Which is why I don't see how anyone could not at least come away with an appreciation for that alone, whether they like the game part on the surface or not. That is all I meant to say.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to sound like an ass either. This thread is rather refreshing for having such a unanimously positive atmosphere, so the last thing I want to do is turn it into a hatefest.

I'm just kind of disappointed I didn't get the same transcendental experience from the game that virtually everyone else has, especially when I fully expected to. Reading some of the posts here make me feel like I'm missing something, especially when a few seem identical to my thoughts on Flower.

I can definitely understand the metaphors, though I don't know if I'd say I "appreciate" them because I kind of equate that with the feeling everyone else has gotten from the game. I can mostly understand why others would though.

shawnlreed

Finished getting all the trophies (yes I used the clock cheat to get the last one), and loved every minute of it.
The first time I played through the game was amazing, but I played it mostly alone.
Second time through I got the companion trophy, and had the same dude with me the whole time. As many have said, it's a totally different experience doing everything with someone else.
Third time through I met a white robe who showed me the glyphs I was missing.
Now I have a white robe and will likely pay it back to someone else later on.

The time I finished the game to get the companion trophy, I only had 2 names on my 'Players you met' list.
Anyone here have just one? That's be awesome in it's own way.

Hi guys, I hope you can assist me.

I tried to search but nothing came up.

I just started up Journey for the first time, and it's glitching really badly. Polygons are flashing and sometimes parts of the screen (or at times the entire screen) flashes a variety of colors. I take it this is not part of the game. Any idea what can cause this and more importantly, how to get rid of it?

jett

D-Member
Hi guys, I hope you can assist me.

I tried to search but nothing came up.

I just started up Journey for the first time, and it's glitching really badly. Polygons are flashing and sometimes parts of the screen (or at times the entire screen) flashes a variety of colors. I take it this is not part of the game. Any idea what can cause this and more importantly, how to get rid of it?

Have you tried rebooting and see if it went away? You could also try reinstalling the game. Most likely though, your PS3 may be dying.

Ra1den

Fair enough. I'm not trying to sound like an ass either. This thread is rather refreshing for having such a unanimously positive atmosphere, so the last thing I want to do is turn it into a hatefest.

I'm just kind of disappointed I didn't get the same transcendental experience from the game that virtually everyone else has, especially when I fully expected to. Reading some of the posts here make me feel like I'm missing something, especially when a few seem identical to my thoughts on Flower.

I can definitely understand the metaphors, though I don't know if I'd say I "appreciate" them because I kind of equate that with the feeling everyone else has gotten from the game. I can mostly understand why others would though.

It's interesting how for me it was the total opposite. Flower did virtually nothing for me emotionally, I simply thought it was pretty to look at. Journey though blew me away time after time, and continues to do so on repeated playthroughs.

The time I finished the game to get the companion trophy, I only had 2 names on my 'Players you met' list.
Anyone here have just one? That's be awesome in it's own way.

I did, it was really cool.

XOMTOR

Nah you're not being an ass, you're just expressing your opinion, that's cool.

I normally have a pretty jaded outlook on humanity but this game has helped restore a bit of faith. Its ability to break down all the barriers we have between eachother is striking. The knowledge that at any time you could be playing along with someone whom you may even be enemies with if met in real life is profound. Sure that's possible with any online game, although here you're sharing something beautiful and constructive. Most online games almost always revolve around agression and killing eachother or helping to kill others. Here there's a child like innocence that I believe is present in all of us no matter how old we get or what nationality or belief system we subscribe to.

The comments and reactions in this thread alone are warming; I'm almost enjoying these as much as the game itself.

Have you tried rebooting and see if it went away? You could also try reinstalling the game. Most likely though, your PS3 may be dying.

I hope your tag influenced your post for I do not hope my PS3 is indeed dying. It never gave any signs it is (not that play on it very often though). The fans start blazing pretty quickly though. I should probably give it a thourough vacuum treatment. Could this have any influence on how the game is performing. It even does its glitchy things on the main screen now!

Amir0x

Banned
It's not enough to have glowing, orgasmic praise from 99% of the reviews/impressions, those 1% must be cold, heartless bastards

Almost makes me want to go back and hate this game.

I like this game a lot but your argument is basically 'how can someone not love the extremely painfully obvious metaphor for life which has been covered by countless thousands of movies, books, and film, likely in a superior fashion, because it's a metaphor for life! It's life!'

yes it's a metaphor for life, that doesn't mean that it is a particularly engaging product on the subject, nor does it even necessarily mean that 'purpose' transcends enough to make up for what some may consider its shortcomings as a game. I felt it engaged me, but as someone on the other side of the fence before playing the complete game, I can certainly see how someone might remain negative about it even after playing it. It is not that special to make it above criticism or disdain.

Ra1den said:
It's interesting how for me it was the total opposite. Flower did virtually nothing for me emotionally, I simply thought it was pretty to look at. Journey though blew me away time after time, and continues to do so on repeated playthroughs.

Yeah, Flower did nothing for me. Of course, on top of doing nothing, it had terrible controls... so.

Tex117

Banned
especially when I fully expected to.
Perhaps this is your problem.

I posted a few pages back that if you were sitting there saying to yourself "Okay Journey, blow me away" the game may not resonate because you are expecting something on a grand scale.

For me, I just tried to view it with an open mind and let the games subtley and design have a chance while I attempted to contemplate what it all meant.

Almost like a guided meditation.

And that sunset scene...
blew me away...I got chills.

Further, if any yall have done any mountianeering, this game during the last sequence actually taps on that feeling a bit...

Tex117

Banned
Also,
the end part where you see your death, and you look back up at the "guardian" or whatever it is...that had an interesting impact for me on a spiritual level

Satch

Banned
Nah you're not being an ass, you're just expressing your opinion, that's cool.

I normally have a pretty jaded outlook on humanity but this game has helped restore a bit of faith. Its ability to break down all the barriers we have between eachother is striking. The knowledge that at any time you could be playing along with someone whom you may even be enemies with if met in real life is profound. Sure that's possible with any online game, although here you're sharing something beautiful and constructive. Most online games almost always revolve around agression and killing eachother or helping to kill others. Here there's a child like innocence that I believe is present in all of us no matter how old we get or what nationality or belief system we subscribe to.

The comments and reactions in this thread alone are warming; I'm almost enjoying these as much as the game itself.
Earlier, I likened it to being in kindergarten - the way children will become friends automatically when they see another kid playing with a toy that they also like to play with. Absolutely no "adult" hang-ups, and no worrying about betrayal or any of that other stuff.

That's how it felt to me when I found my partner in my second playthrough. He was building a bridge and I went over to help, and we chirped a bit back-and-forth. We never left each other's sides after that.

Chitown B

I think my best memory was
in the snow world with the dragons, when you are going from cover to cover - My companion got hit and sent flying. I waited almost near the exit of the area under cover, and kept beeping at them, hoping they didn't "die" or leave. You can't see through the storm well. After about 30 seconds, I see a faint ping in the distance, showing they were OK and were catching up to me. That wait was so lonely and I really hoped they would make it and they did. :*-)

I still think it's remarkable just how similarly most encounters play out; there seems to be a set of common chirping patterns (two quick ones as an analogue for "thank you", etc) and with rare exception most people tend to stick close to one another. I've only had three or four partners of the ~50 or so I've met run off and leave to do their own thing.

No doubt, a lot of it has to do with the limitations placed on the player. But I still think it's interesting how most strangers seem to interact in very similar ways.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I still think it's remarkable just how similarly most encounters play out; there seems to be a set of common chirping patterns (two quick ones as an analogue for "thank you", etc) and with rare exception most people tend to stick close to one another. I've only had three or four partners of the ~50 or so I've met run off and leave to do their own thing.

No doubt, a lot of it has to do with the limitations placed on the player. But I still think it's interesting how most strangers seem to interact in very similar ways.

I think MOST of the people I'm matched with don't want to have anything to do with me or disconnect after a short while (people keep abandoning me in the pink desert for some reason.) Maybe I dance and sing too much? Best partner I had was one who wanted to dance and sing as much as I did (the only reason we didn't finish the game together is because his connection dropped him. Since it happened at a critical point it made it seem like
I was revived but he was not. Most depressing ending I had to the game.
)

anyone else notice that when you're really close to your partner in the snow world, you warm up some and retain color?

I really liked that touch.
Whomever I was partnered with, we'd usually huddle next to each other and chirp as we walked side by side. Even better was when we both were side by side heading towards the light. Pure magic.

Ra1den

Thinking more about what makes this game so magical, here is something to consider. In the real world, any sort of relationship or companionship is never truly free from at least some taint of selfishness or competition, even among family. There is always at least a hint of loss when something is given, it's just a basic fact of our current world.

Journey presents a unique situation where there literally CANNOT be competition, as there is nothing to compete over, and it is ALWAYS in ones interest to help your companion, as you lose nothing in the process, and it makes your own travels easier. And anything that can be found in the game is equally available for you and your partner. Such pure untainted companionship is perhaps not even a possibility in the world as we know it. May only be possible in a world of infinite resources and affection, or if a radical transformation of human thought takes place.

In the meantime, we have Journey.

Big B

Such pure untainted companionship is perhaps not even a possibility in the world as we know it. May only be possible in a world of infinite resources and affection, or if a radical transformation of human thought takes place.

In the meantime, we have Journey.

What you want is post-scarcity.

AKA read Culture

XOMTOR

Earlier, I likened it to being in kindergarten - the way children will become friends automatically when they see another kid playing with a toy that they also like to play with. Absolutely no "adult" hang-ups, and no worrying about betrayal or any of that other stuff.

Yea you're right, everyone seems to be checking their baggage at the door and just being a kid again. There really are very few preconceived notions here. Personally, I only found out about the game a few weeks ago and as soon as I heard who the developer was, I immediately went on a media blackout so I had no idea about the game except for the name and the title screenshot. Definitely paid off I think.

I think MOST of the people I'm matched with don't want to have anything to do with me or disconnect after a short while (people keep abandoning me in the pink desert for some reason.) Maybe I dance and sing too much?

Gee Lissar, that's too bad. It could be that some are going in for the achievements/trophies and are only playing select levels and jumping in and out. I did this last night but "offline" because I didn't want to meet up with someone and then go off trophy hunting and let them down. Tonight, I'm playing online again even though I still have 2 trophies to get; the heck with it. Hopefully I meet up with your dancing and singing self sometime. BTW, I love the artwork you posted earlier. Man I wish I had the talent some of you guys/girls have.

AHA-Lambda

I am really impressed with this game in more ways than one.

After really enjoying flower I was suprised at just how much this actually wasn't resonating with me at first and was ready to chalk it up to already being one of this years most disappointing games for myself.

However, by about the sliding chapter the game started to pick up and I enjoyed it more but still with the tinge of disappointment. But...damn! the snow and flight levels! AMAZING!! Made up for any disappointment I had, simply stunning and beautiful.

For me, flower might still be the better game but Journey has the much better moments. Strangely I don't feel bitter bout paying the £10 for such a short game where half of it was a bit of damp squib :)

EGM1966

anyone else notice that when you're really close to your partner in the snow world, you warm up some and retain color?

Yeah loved that touch.

I think the level of polish inherent in designing the game to produce in most gamers such a consistent need to be close to your companion is quite astonishing. My only reservation with the title was that it might have too many players who just zip around or don't gel.

But little touches like this are so simple yet effective in making sure most people behave a certain way. Instinctively you want to stay close, to try and keep that spark of warmth.

Subtle but really well done.

What impresses me most about the title is the effort I'm sure went into the design with a clear goal of generating a specific approach to play and compansionship. I can only imagine the number of iterations ThatGameCompany must have gone through to arrive at the stripped down but incredibly effective final design.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Gee Lissar, that's too bad. It could be that some are going in for the achievements/trophies and are only playing select levels and jumping in and out. I did this last night but "offline" because I didn't want to meet up with someone and then go off trophy hunting and let them down. Tonight, I'm playing online again even though I still have 2 trophies to get; the heck with it. Hopefully I meet up with your dancing and singing self sometime. BTW, I love the artwork you posted earlier. Man I wish I had the talent some of you guys/girls have.

Yeah, I did all of my trophy stuff offline so as not to bother other people (I know there is that one that requires you to journey with a lot of people but I got that in the middle of my first playthrough D:) I still have to get Return but I'm trying to do it naturally so I'm waiting a week before playing again ._. I hope everyone will still be journeying come next Friday!

And thank you :D I'm hoping to do more soon, though not today since it seems I'm sick :< I had some things sketched out last night so it's frustrating I can't work on them.

Chuckie

I seem to be having problems with the Adventure trophy

I passed through 19 gates and still didn't get it... what gives? :(

ironcreed

Banned
I like this game a lot but your argument is basically 'how can someone not love the extremely painfully obvious metaphor for life which has been covered by countless thousands of movies, books, and film, likely in a superior fashion, because it's a metaphor for life! It's life!'

yes it's a metaphor for life, that doesn't mean that it is a particularly engaging product on the subject, nor does it even necessarily mean that 'purpose' transcends enough to make up for what some may consider its shortcomings as a game. I felt it engaged me, but as someone on the other side of the fence before playing the complete game, I can certainly see how someone might remain negative about it even after playing it. It is not that special to make it above criticism or disdain.

I really don't care how many times a similar theme has been covered, identifying with the beauty and truth of such a theme still has the same meaning and power behind it. This is just expressing it in yet another way. Whether one finds the from of delivery in this game engaging or not is of course purely subjective. I, for one, very much found it to be so. Going by reviews and player comments alike, I am far from alone.

I am not saying that the game is above criticism, I am saying that as a human on your own journey, you should at least be able to identify with that and appreciate the message, whether you like the way it was delivered here or not. Just because 'The Journey of Life' has been covered countless times and in many other ways does not diminish the message or other forms of delivery of that message. But I guess the cynical side of some think it too pretentious to dwell on or over emphasize such an 'over played' theme. Whatever, people will either identify with it or they won't. Like with anything else.

Top Bottom