• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Kak.efes

Great game.

My companions were WinstonWaterson, DEFJUKIE999, DanimalErvin, Vaboy02, TipsyDavid, PANDUHUG, H3LA_NorCaL, ||||_X3N_||||.

Any gaffers amongst the list?

Ceebs

I enjoyed it well enough, but was my PS3 supposed to sound like a jet engine by the end of the game? I just bought the thing last month, but have yet to hear it sound like that.

I enjoyed it well enough, but was my PS3 supposed to sound like a jet engine by the end of the game? I just bought the thing last month, but have yet to hear it sound like that.

I'm glad you mentioned it, actually. I have a launch PS3 and was sure it was about to die. It was making the sounds of my 360 before that choked.

FootballFan

Just recently finished this, wow. What a great experience, similar to Flower in an odd way but dare I say it, even better. It really was a fantastic journey. Well worth the price.
For a downloadable game it is as good as it gets.

Ceebs

I'm glad you mentioned it, actually. I have a launch PS3 and was sure it was about to die. It was making the sounds of my 360 before that choked.

Mine is a brand new slim and those noises were shocking. Way louder than my Gaming PC with all the fans running full blast. It was vibrating my entire entertainment center.

Bruiserk

Played through the game tonight in one sitting. Everything excellent, I enjoyed it more than Flower. I didn't
finish with a companion, but that was alright with me given what the last stage was.
Don't really have much to say, most of it has been said already in this thread.

Crispy

Finished this for the third time last night, played most of it with a companion who played for the first time (from the looks of his robe anyway). i really enjoyed trying to give him/her the best experience possible, remembering my first time through and how I enjoyed that.

In the
snow level one of those flying machine beasts got us both. I didn't move after he got me, lying still on the ground. My companion was in shock, walking in circles around me and chirping all the time. After a good half minute I got up again, both chirping with joy.
It's really fun to try that kind of stuff, adding to the experience.

I haven't had any weird sounds/ loud ventilator noises coming from my PS3 Slim by the way...no stuttering either.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The game started stuttering for me
when I reached the snow section
. :|

Ataturk

Finished it last night. Honestly felt a bit short-changed with its brevity. Amazing experience though and unique. Absolutely stunning visually.

jett

D-Member
I have the Flower soundtrack, but I don't think it worked well outside of the game. I figure it'll be similar with this game too. The music and the visuals are just two intertwined for me.

Famassu

I have the Flower soundtrack, but I don't think it worked well outside of the game. I figure it'll be similar with this game too. The music and the visuals are just two intertwined for me.
Eh? Flower's OST is beautiful with or without the game. Purification of the City, Life as a Flower, Sailing on the Wind and the rest of them... all send shivers down my spine no matter if I hear them in the game or not.

Dragon

Banned

I've been listening to the ending song since I finished it. It's a good way to remember the game when you can't play it for a couple weeks.

completed for the first time last night. Wow.

I had like 7 companions through my Journey, but most came in and out early on. I was having a blast with one player and then he stops, sits down, and slowly starts to disintegrate. First time I've ever actually seen one of my companions leave.

Then I had a companion for the last half of the game. It really was amazing... and I'm so glad I had such a good companion to go through the last section. Some of the snow stuff we were really leaning on each other for help.

Bravo, TGC.

BTW, when it shows the companions you met, are they in order of when you met them? I couldn't remember my long-term companion's symbol when that came up and just assumed he/she was the last one on the list.

Ra1den

completed for the first time last night. Wow.

I had like 7 companions through my Journey, but most came in and out early on. I was having a blast with one player and then he stops, sits down, and slowly starts to disintegrate. First time I've ever actually seen one of my companions leave.

Then I had a companion for the last half of the game. It really was amazing... and I'm so glad I had such a good companion to go through the last section. Some of the snow stuff we were really leaning on each other for help.

Bravo, TGC.

BTW, when it shows the companions you met, are they in order of when you met them? I couldn't remember my long-term companion's symbol when that came up and just assumed he/she was the last one on the list.

I have heard the companion list goes in order, but have not personally confirmed it.

ScOULaris

Okay, seriously you guys... how amazing is Apotheosis?

It's definitely earned its place among my Top 10 favorite original songs in gaming history. It's so powerful, and hearing it always brings back memories of ending the game with my awesome companion.

Listen to it here, in case you missed the link earlier in the thread.

DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME YET!

It's definitely earned its place among my Top 10 favorite original songs in gaming history. It's so powerful, and hearing it always brings back memories of ending the game with my awesome companion.

the entire soundtrack was just wonderful.

You know, in both Flower and Journey there was a brief moment in each that just made me so damn happy I almost got choked up... and I don't do that very often. Crazy.
For Flower, it was
the last level, before the credits 'level', when you are restoring the city; just ripping around making the buildings pop up, change colors, grass grow, flowers spring up, massive wave of pedals behind you, smashing through all of the metal, etc.
For Journey, it was
that fast flight up the mountain to get to the summit, being ahead, then behind, then ahead of my companion. Like an aerial dance.
I'd say the emotion for both sections of both games was made possible mostly by the music (of course the visuals were fantastic)... but they were just such pure, warm feelings.

If I only had one major disappointment with Journey (other than the obvious "I WISH IT WENT ON FOREEEEEEVAR!"), it would be *end game spoiler*
no controllable end credits, like fl0w or Flower had. :(
A tiny complaint.

Watching my brother play through the game. Watching his response to everything puts a smile on my face. He's so lucky to be playing this for the first time.

That piece of music is incredible, I did my second play through today to get some more trophies and I wasn't expecting the game to have the same impact but (end spoilers)
when that piece of music begins and you're soaring over the mountain it's truly amazing, the perfect meld of image and music. Manly tears where nearly shed for a second time, especially the cello slides during the walk into the light, they slay me

Already ready looking forward to my third play through
and showing people the ropes as a white robe

Corto

I deliberately stayed away from this thread until I went through my Journey... Amazing! I won't say anything else as to not spoil the experience to anyone here that hasn't played the game still... But damn! I had goosebumps on the last section of the game. There was a moment with my companion there that was just magical.

Ra1den

I'm missing one of the things from the
tower
level and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Ha, I had trouble with that one too. Luckily a partner led me to it when he saw me wandering aimlessly.
Look carefully around the walls enclosing you (aka the perimeter of the level) and you will eventually see a crevice in the wall. Fly into it and it will take you into an area with a glyph and an orb.

Ha, I had trouble with that one too. Luckily a partner led me to it when he saw me wandering aimlessly.
Look carefully around the walls enclosing you (aka the perimeter of the level) and you will eventually see a crevice in the wall. Fly into it and it will take you into an area with a glyph and an orb.

Yup
it's where the cloth dragon flies out of when activating the 3rd panel

cnizzle06

Banned

Yeah, I already have that one yet I'm still missing another. Go figure.

Edit: found it. Thanks :)

Liberty4all

Banned

It's one of my favorite songs. At least at the same level as Jeremy Soule's Guild Wars stuff.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wow, cool experience. Ended up playing with 7 different people along the way (though it felt like 1) I'm ollie_pooch in case any of em were gaffers. I got absolutely smashed by those flying dragon hunter things and had no scarf by the end - hopefully on second play through I'll avoid them a bit better. Ending was awesome.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Continued on with my white cloak adviser role in another 2 games tonight... I took ( what i thought ) was one person through the entire game... taught them how to air dance... where ALL the glyphs were... bet course through the sand surfing/tunnel and of course how to fly like a proper gent... barely ever touching the ground :) At the end of the game it turns out I had a full 6 people drop in and out with me starting from the pink sands level ... makes me smile thinking that more than likely at least one of those 6 people said "fuckin THANK you random white cloak man!" ... I know i handed out at least 3 trophies tonight.

If even a small goal of this game was to teach people the fun/joy/frustration/elation of being a teacher within a constrained communication environment .. it is deservedly game changing. Soooo awesome.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I know i handed out at least 3 trophies tonight.

If even a small goal of this game was to teach people the fun/joy/frustration/elation of being a teacher within a constrained communication environment .. it is deservedly game changing. Soooo awesome.
one of my companions helped me with a few trophies tonight which I thought was pretty awesome - red robe, though.
I picked up the ps3 wireless headset yesterday and this was my first game using it. Headphones really make a difference.

klier

LOL, amazing OP! I was like WTF at first, haha

As for the game....yeah, I might have to buy a PSN card again....Looks pretty cool.

I got the game, kind of regretted buying it at first because I know a bunch of DLC is coming out soon and I won't have any money for any of it for a while... but then I played the game, and I have to say that Journey is an amazing game. Honestly one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. I don't regret it one bit anymore.

Ra1den

Had a good time with a virgin last night. I let him take the lead most of the time, though I showed him a few things. I guess they are easier to find on Friday and Saturday nights.

PSN is such a piece of shit.

If I try to buy Journey I get some weird error code.. "error 80023102"

And then if I go to add funds to my wallet and do it that way, I get a non descript "The funds could not be added to your wallet."

The service may be free ,but even when you want to give it money and pay for something, it just doesnt work. Jesus where the hell do I even edit my account? I was thinking, oh, maybe it's an expired credit card (I really don't buy much on PSN because 90% of the time it's some pain in the ass like this, and aftr the hacking and account management fiasco from 2 years ago I've been hesitant to trust them with my info), but as far s I can tell, I can't add payment details or modify existing ones anywhere in the Store.

ScOULaris

PSN is such a piece of shit.

If I try to buy Journey I get some weird error code.. "error 80023102"

And then if I go to add funds to my wallet and do it that way, I get a non descript "The funds could not be added to your wallet."

The service may be free ,but even when you want to give it money and pay for something, it just doesnt work.

That really sucks, man. I've never had those kind of problems with PSN, but I can sympathize with anything getting in the way of you purchasing Journey.

Top Bottom