• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Sega US sales: SA2B breaks 900k, SoAL > SoA DC, & amazing Puyo Pop Fever numbers

Alcibiades

I actually agree that Sega shouldn't get the credit, since they hardly even acknowledge themselves on this except for the standard-issue SEGA logo on the boxart, why isn't there a Sega Sports logo somewhere, and why are Visual Concept and Take-Two doing all the interviews and especially the Take-Two guy talking like he's in charge (not really, but he say's WE'RE, and it doesn't sound like Sega is part of that) when talking about handling the game's publishing...

I hope Sega doesn't think about selling off Visual Concepts, at the very least, if they are making some decent (if not great) profits off a budget-price-but-good-sales sports line, they are doing damage to EA (I can already see it in the store I work at, I expect sales to be close if not 2k5 the winner over Madden when the monthly sales for October and November come in)...

On Friday, we had 84 and 88 copies of 2k5 (PS2 and XBox versions), and Saturday morning we put the game out in the middle of the store (could be seen as you enter the Media department), and by today's count we had 42 and 43 copies of each version, and considering we sold almost nothing on Monday (first day of public school in my city) store-wide, this was accomplished on 3 busy days, and some customers are spreading the word-of-mouth or coming back for copies for nephews or others they know...

Right now, the WOM among gamers is the 2k5 is superior to Madden, especially in presentation and graphics, and while the hardcore's around here may swear by Madden, casuals just dig the presentation, and some PS2 customers are reluctant to get the game because they fear it will not look as good as the one on display (which is the XBox version)...

EVERYBODY asks why it's $50, and some customers have told me they'd be willing to be full price for the game cause it was that good...

while refined defensive gameplay may come first to some hardcore's around here, my guess is most casuals have more fun with the momentum/taunting/coolness that are of a different dynamic in multiplayer matches when the presentation is as awesome as 2k5's...

talking smack and f*cking up is so much cooler when you've got slick and vibrant replay visuals...

ZILLION

actually agree that Sega shouldn't get the credit, since they hardly even acknowledge themselves on this except for the standard-issue SEGA logo on the boxart, why isn't there a Sega Sports logo somewhere

Sega Sports is now called ESPN Videogames. The switch happened last year for the sake of brand consistency. The Sega logo is plastered all throughout 2k5 though on menus and options boxes.

and why are Visual Concept and Take-Two doing all the interviews and especially the Take-Two guy talking like he's in charge (not really, but he say's WE'RE, and it doesn't sound like Sega is part of that) when talking about handling the game's publishing...

VC are 100% owned by Sega so anything they do is as a Sega representative. With the switch to ESPN Videogames last year,SOJ gave VC control of marketing and PR for all sports titles. While SOA hasn't spoken of the partnership,SOJ have commented on their inclusion in the partnership.

Alcibiades

yeah, it's cool that they are still owned 100%, I just hope there aren't serious flirtations about a sale...

why would Take-Two be so enthusiastic about helping Sega (even if it means healthy distribuation fees), if they are going to help Sega establish a franchise then have Sega reap future rewards 100%, someone about Take-Two's enthusiasm is a bit worrying...

Besides, Sega should be proud of their Sega Sports brand and their history, why tout ESPN as the official line, when there is no guarantee they are going to be keeping the license let's say 5 years from now...

at least the "2k"-type name is surviving...

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
AniHawk, do you think it's possible for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle to outsell the first Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast?

As of January 2003:

With two Christmases left and a price drop? Yes.

I think it's a glaring omission that ESPN 2k5 isn't counted in that list. The fact is that Sega funded the game and their name and involvement with the title is mostly what drives the title's success, IMO. They got the ESPN license for their sports titles; their subsidiary developed the title; they should get credit.

Yet they don't. I'm only going by what NPD reported, and that's what goes in the thread. You can go ahead and include whatever Sega numbers you feel are left out in this or the next one. I'm not putting them in the main chart though, or else I'd have to include the THQ, Nintendo, and MS published Sega games as well.

ZILLION

why would Take-Two be so enthusiastic about helping Sega (even if it means healthy distribuation fees), if they are going to help Sega establish a franchise then have Sega reap future rewards 100%, someone about Take-Two's enthusiasm is a bit worrying

It's a distribution business,that's what they do. The more copies ESPN sells,the more distribution dollars they get. Given the high profile nature of sports games and their potential to sell many copies on a yearly basis,the possibility is there for the ESPN games to be the best line out of all the games they distribute. If it works,then Sega would likely continue using Take Two.

Besides, Sega should be proud of their Sega Sports brand and their history, why tout ESPN as the official line

ESPN games are what they make and their brand name should reflect that.

Alcibiades

Don't be surprised if Sonic DX has an outside shot at challenging the original Sonic Adventure, as it's done 340,000 in basically about a year, and it just went Player's Choice in June, so now it's going to have a great price to around Christmas, plus it still has all of next year (when RE4/Star Fox/Zelda are released), to do business with casuals...

Actually, I think Sonic Mega Collection has a shot at a million sold even more than Sonic DX has (even with the new PS2 and XBox versions coming this November), as the $20 price point seems to be working really well for all 3 portSonics (DX, SA2: Battle, Mega Collection)...

now drop Sonic Heroes to $20 and if the GCN has a really strong closing this generation, you've got a really, really outside shot at 4 million-selling Sonic titles on GCN...

btw, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle should have some really strong numbers and be racing to the million point, considering they just dropped the price to $20 (we got 8 copies in at my Best Buy, and I expect more)...

AniHawk

efralope said:
Don't be surprised if Sonic DX has an outside shot at challenging the original Sonic Adventure, as it's done 340,000 in basically about a year, and it just went Player's Choice in June, so now it's going to have a great price to around Christmas, plus it still has all of next year (when RE4/Star Fox/Zelda are released), to do business with casuals...

Actually, I think Sonic Mega Collection has a shot at a million sold even more than Sonic DX has (even with the new PS2 and XBox versions coming this November), as the $20 price point seems to be working really well for all 3 portSonics (DX, SA2: Battle, Mega Collection)...

now drop Sonic Heroes to $20 and if the GCN has a really strong closing this generation, you've got a really, really outside shot at 4 million-selling Sonic titles on GCN...

I'm guessing, for the end of their lifespans to look like this:

SA2B: 1.1 M
SMC: around 800k
SADX: around 750k
Sonic Heroes: 800k-900k

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:
I'm guessing, for the end of their lifespans to look like this:

SA2B: 1.1 M
SMC: around 800k
SADX: around 750k
Sonic Heroes: 800k-900k

none of these Sonic games has seen a $20 Christmas though, 3 of them will have this Christmas, and if distribution doesn't falter, they may have another next Christmas ('05)...

I was thinking closer to 1.4-1.5 million for SA2B if Sega keeps distribution strong (not as likely considering the battle for shelf space and room for newer titles, but who knows)...

AniHawk

efralope said:
none of these Sonic games has seen a $20 Christmas though, 3 of them will have this Christmas, and if distribution doesn't falter, they may have another next Christmas ('05)...

I was thinking closer to 1.4-1.5 million for SA2B if Sega keeps distribution strong (not as likely considering the battle for shelf space and room for newer titles, but who knows)...

True.

You know, I forgot to mention it, but Skies of Arcadia Legends really has picked up in sales. It outsold The Wind Waker this month.

AniHawk

SonicMegaDrive said:
Didn't SoA just drop to the $20 price-range recently? It's been a pretty nice year for RPGs on Nintendo's baby.

Yeah, the average price is about $20, plus distribution has picked up. At the pace it was selling, I thought it would take SoAL's lifetime to beat SoA DC, not a little over a year.

Alcibiades

SonicMegaDrive said:
Now if we could only get some non-Sonic/Monkey Ball support on the GameCube.

like the respectable sales for Skies of Arcadia, Billy Hatcher, Phantasy Star Online I & II?

also, the picking up of Skies of Arcadia sales are probably like 80% Gamestop, as Ebgames has it at $30 (for a sweeter margin I bet), and other than that, I don't know of any major retailer carrying it at that price...

jarrod

Banned
belgurdo said:
No wonder Sega only brought over the GC version of PPF. Hope Astro Boy (both versions) does better
Well it's been rumored that SCEA blocked the PS2 release, hence it's announcement as GC/XBox. No idea why the XBox release was dropped though, maybe Sonic Team wanted lowered license fees by making it exclusive and since all their games have performed better on GCN they went with Nintendo? Or maybe the XBox version's been secretly delayed to add Live play? Who knows.... but the PSP version should be a launch title over here. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
We havent gotten many copies of puyo puyo, we didnt even get it immediately after it came out. People bought it up real quick after we popped it into the kiosk though.

jarrod

Banned
max_cool said:
I'm still at a loss on why Sega doesn't get credit for the ESPN sales... didn't Square get credit for everyhting they put out on the PSOne?
Not the stuff SCEA published (Tobal No.1, FFT, FF7, Einhander & SaGa Frontier). Similar to how they haven't gotten credit for the games Nintendo published (FF1, FFCC, FFTA, Sword of Mana, FF1+2A), Disney published (Kingdom Hearts CoM), SunSoft published (FF Legend 1-3, FF Adventure reprints), Eidos published (FF7 PC) or anything else SCEA published (FFXI PS2).

ZILLION said:
EA was a co-publisher and exclusive distributor of Square games between 1998 and 2003 under the Square-EA label. Take Two is a co-publisher and exclusive distributor of ESPN Videogames under the Sega-Globalstar label.
Not quite, Square EA was a new subsidiary set up for US publishing (as EA Square was set up for Japanese publishing), it wasn't just an arbitrary label but an actual publisher. There's is no actual Sega-Globalstar.

Top Bottom