• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

In honor of Sting, I watched Starcade 1997 with my free WWE Network trial. Wow has that not aged well. The Sting intro is badass but that match with Hogan was hot garbage. Wow, and I complain about the quality of some matches nowadays...

Yeah I revisited it to last week. That was one of the worst matches I have ever seen for a title.

Shit, just found out how big of a raise I got. 34%!
YIf9nRW.gif

34% raise?! Da fug?

Zach

It should have been as close as you can get to a squash on a main event of the biggest PPV of the year. Sting should have beat the PISS out of Hogan. Other members of the NWO should have come out and either take some shots from Sting, or be stopped by the WCW roster. Sting would win the title, everyone celebrates, nWo has a power vacuum as Hogan would take 3-6 months off.

Why weren't you booking in '97, stro?

Yeah I revisited it to last week. That was one of the worst matches I have ever seen for a title.

That whole match was Hogan at his absolute worst. If there was ever a match for him to put his ego aside, it was that one.

It's weird because even naive, teenage, pre-internet me was all like "that was so disappointing and unsatisfying."

You know what I like?
I like how the subtitle for June AND July is CZW related

And yet none of you talked about the WSU/CZW doubleheader on Saturday~!
You all stink! Givememoney

strobogo

Banned
Why weren't you booking in '97, stro?

Why wasn't there a single capable booker in that entire company that could have come up with the most logical way to book that match and the nWo going forward? You could still do the Wolfpac split if you wanted, too. Hogan needed to take some time off as he'd been super over exposed again. While he's gone, do the same split angle if you want. Or have them crumble apart and kind of go it alone. Hogan comes back and he's open to challenge Sting (or whoever is champion) or feud with whatever nWo guys shit talked him/didn't support him.

It's really silly that Goldberg got a clean win over Hogan a week's notice, but Sting couldn't after a year and a half of build up.

Hot damn, just found a 65 disc Buddy Rose set, with interviews and everything. Really not sure if I need that much Buddy, what an insane compilation. Opting for a 10 disc Dick Murdoch set, instead.

You know what I like?
I like how the subtitle for June AND July is CZW related

And yet none of you talked about the WSU/CZW doubleheader on Saturday~!
You all stink! Givememoney

WSU show sounded fun, although I saw Kingston retweeting a bunch of shit about losing respect for the girls involved in a "loser has to blow Deej" angle? CZW show didn't sound terrible, really interesting in seeing Biff vs Bailey. I heard the Gacy match stunk up the joint, though.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Mike Bailey's pretty dang awesome. Hope to see a lot more of him in the US indies.

WSU show sounded fun, although I saw Kingston retweeting a bunch of shit about losing respect for the girls involved in a "loser has to blow Deej" angle? CZW show didn't sound terrible, really interesting in seeing Biff vs Bailey. I heard the Gacy match stunk up the joint, though.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Mike Bailey's pretty dang awesome. Hope to see a lot more of him in the US indies.

All that matters to me is that I got paid and got home before 2 AM! Also my car battery died when I got to the venue so I had to get a jump and then a new battery the next day. THANKS OBAMA.

The DJ thing wasn't that at all - basically what he said was 'win and you get your job back, lose and suck my dick (as in fuck you you aren't getting your job back, not actually saying to suck his dick)

Gacy/James was alright. It's short. Both shows are real short (by CZW standards, anyway). Bailey/Biff is gooood.

So that IWA show wasn't terrible, just let down by super distorted EVERYTHING on audio. Eddie v Rey v CM Punk was a fun match.

SMART MARK VIDEO~! *runs*

And their producer wonders why I laughed heartily at him when he trolled about wanting NJPW iPPVs on there...

SMART MARK VIDEO~! *runs*

And their producer wonders why I laughed heartily at him when he trolled about wanting NJPW iPPVs on there...

It's the worst I've ever experienced, so hopefully it's due to it being an early 2002 recording with a crappy transfer from VHS to DVD. The CHIKARA shows I have on DVD suffer from slight distortion, so I'm hoping things improve for IWA down the line.

This month's title was a worked swerve, brother.

Ain't nobody got time for Sleazy Dub.

cryme-tyme-atm-o.gif

I wish you had stayed gone!

This thread is only for fun and playful sports entertaining. CZW, deathmatch gifs, and other assorted Ultraviolence needs to go in the appropriate thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818974

Literally the first joke I made about that was someone coming out to West Coast during a CZW show and me just laughing for like an hour

It's the worst I've ever experienced, so hopefully it's due to it being an early 2002 recording with a crappy transfer from VHS to DVD. The CHIKARA shows I have on DVD suffer from slight distortion, so I'm hoping things improve for IWA down the line.

I'd rip those DVDs if I were you for backup's sake

So that IWA show wasn't terrible, just let down by super distorted EVERYTHING on audio. Eddie v Rey v CM Punk was a fun match.

Once you get past Ian's random-ass booking and the terrible production, IWA-MS isn't really half as bad as everyone makes out. They've always done a good job of picking out talent before the bigger indies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why wasn't there a single capable booker in that entire company that could have come up with the most logical way to book that match and the nWo going forward? You could still do the Wolfpac split if you wanted, too. Hogan needed to take some time off as he'd been super over exposed again. While he's gone, do the same split angle if you want. Or have them crumble apart and kind of go it alone. Hogan comes back and he's open to challenge Sting (or whoever is champion) or feud with whatever nWo guys shit talked him/didn't support him.

It's really silly that Goldberg got a clean win over Hogan a week's notice, but Sting couldn't after a year and a half of build up.

It's not like there was the perfect person for Sting to feud with that came in late 1997 that they were clearly setting up an obvious angle for.

strobogo

Banned

Actually it wasn't even a week. It was announced on the Thunder before the match happened. Before that, Goldberg was the US Champion and had defeated some low level NWO guys, but it wasn't like it was a build up to a feud with Hogan or anything. As seen by right afterwards, Hogan continues to main event PPVs without the title while Goldberg does mid show/semi main with NWO guys, or isn't even on the card at all.

Big One

Banned
Wait there's rumors of Punk and Sting appearing on RAW tonight? Sting seems likely due to his tweet, but the Punk thing seems out there. I will be watching, regardless. If nothing happens I'm just going to abandon ship cause Reigns isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Alucard

Banned
In honor of Sting, I watched Starcade 1997 with my free WWE Network trial. Wow has that not aged well. The Sting intro is badass but that match with Hogan was hot garbage. Wow, and I complain about the quality of some matches nowadays...

Bret Hart knows what's up. Wrestling fans in 2014 complain too much. From a recent interview:

Wrestling today is as good as its every been. Younger, faster, better athletes than there used to be. The fork that wrestling took, it came right around the time that I became champion in the first place. The business today doesn't get enough credit. There's an amazing bunch of talents out there today. There's an amazing group of young talents, innovators who are raising the bar. Delivering better matches than anyone has ever seen before. Cesaro is a guy who does a lot of unique stuff and is a great talent. He does a lot of strong man stuff that is just impressive to watch. Daniel Bryan is another one. And the girl wrestlers too. They're all drop dead gorgeous and really good wrestlers and good athletes. I find them very entertaining and a lot of fun to watch. Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes. John Cena has been such a great champion in the last 10 years, this has kind of been his era. Wrestling is even better than it used to be and I think people should start paying more attention to these great stars.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually it wasn't even a week. It was announced on the Thunder before the match happened. Before that, Goldberg was the US Champion and had defeated some low level NWO guys, but it wasn't like it was a build up to a feud with Hogan or anything. As seen by right afterwards, Hogan continues to main event PPVs without the title while Goldberg does mid show/semi main with NWO guys, or isn't even on the card at all.

Watching him and Bret Hart getting politicked in WCW by some real masters was fascinating.

He was still the biggest most over guy in the company, but Kevin Nash ended up taking a lot of his juice even before Starrcade. Goldberg's not on half of the PPV's he's champion in!

I'd rip those DVDs if I were you for backup's sake

This. I've had more than a few SMV shows on DVD that now just won't play for no good reason.

MP4's are so much better. Every indie should jump on the MP4 bandwagon - easier to pirate, sure, but you're also more likely to get that sweet impulse buy cash (looking at you, PWG, ffs). No indie is too big for MP4's (looking at you, Gabe, ffs - no one wants your year-old DVDs!!).

This. I've had more than a few SMV shows on DVD that now just won't play for no good reason.

MP4's are so much better. Every indie should jump on the MP4 bandwagon - easier to pirate, sure, but you're also more likely to get that sweet impulse buy cash (looking at you, PWG, ffs). No indie is too big for MP4's (looking at you, Gabe, ffs - no one wants your year-old DVDs!!).

The reason is the quality of disc used. Say what you will about Gabe's, but those are professionally authored/mastered/the whole nine. Those, for the most part, will last for a long damn time.
The rest just use DVD-R's and such, which are fine, but don't exactly stand the test of time.

Streaming is the future, really. I'd rather not go into indie production stuff because people like to yell at me for it, but most of them only survive because they're on the indies. None are really worth their salt, me included!

People are over-reacting about Raw. Here's what we know:

• Ric Flair will be on the show tonight
  • Something with Sting. Probably just a video or something.
  • Six man tag main event with Hot Tagger Extraordinaire, Cena, and Ambrose vs The Bad Guys

Showaddy

Watching last week's NXT, and goddamn the commentary/announcing is so bad. Bring back Regal, and keep those three off the mics.

Yeah it's beyond terrible, especially as they don't have the excuse of having Vince in their ear forcing them to say all their stupid crap like Cole & JBL.

somedevil

People are over-reacting about Raw. Here's what we know:

• Ric Flair will be on the show tonight
  • Something with Sting. Probably just a video or something.
  • Six man tag main event with Hot Tagger Extraordinaire, Cena, and Ambrose vs The Bad Guys

Yep, if people expect sting in the arena this will probably be your reaction:

ibfG4XjgePJkJH.gif

bjork

Bret Hart knows what's up. Wrestling fans in 2014 complain too much. From a recent interview:

Wrestling today is as good as its every been. Younger, faster, better athletes than there used to be. The fork that wrestling took, it came right around the time that I became champion in the first place. The business today doesn't get enough credit. There's an amazing bunch of talents out there today. There's an amazing group of young talents, innovators who are raising the bar. Delivering better matches than anyone has ever seen before. Cesaro is a guy who does a lot of unique stuff and is a great talent. He does a lot of strong man stuff that is just impressive to watch. Daniel Bryan is another one. And the girl wrestlers too. They're all drop dead gorgeous and really good wrestlers and good athletes. I find them very entertaining and a lot of fun to watch. Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes. John Cena has been such a great champion in the last 10 years, this has kind of been his era. Wrestling is even better than it used to be and I think people should start paying more attention to these great stars.

I like Bret and all, but come on Hitman. That sounds like an infomercial for something he wants to sell you but he doesn't even believe himself as he's saying it.

Also: the only wrestling I've seen in months was this past week's Smackdown, maybe the first 45 minutes or so. There was barely any wrestling in that time, and what was there wasn't as good as Bret could've done during stroke physical therapy.

What's it going to take to get Michael Hayes in a WWE game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUdmzQAGT8

Top Bottom