• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Hasney

Sounds like this thread needs a McMahons Millions gimmick.

zhlJZ8Z.gif

Once you get past Ian's random-ass booking and the terrible production, IWA-MS isn't really half as bad as everyone makes out. They've always done a good job of picking out talent before the bigger indies.

Yeah, on the one show I watched they had:

CM Punk
Colt
Ace Steel
Brad Bradley
Mitch Ryder (who I get isn't a younger talent)
Chris Hero
Necro Butcher

I'd rip those DVDs if I were you for backup's sake

Smart Mark known for poor burning methods and cheap DVD use?

Alucard

Banned
I agree with Bret on many levels, especially in regards to tag team wrestling. When you watch The Young Bucks vs. ReDRagon, it blows away anything ever done by The Road Warriors, Rockers, Steiners, etc. in terms of ability and excitement.

Streaming is the future, really.

I much prefer to have something to own, even if that is just a file on my HDD - companies need to up their streaming game and figure out what it's really worth to people. I won't pay DVD prices for an MP4, but I also likely won't pay MP4 prices for a VOD stream, especially when access to said stream is beholden to an internet connection, a website that might not be available when you want to watch, or might not even be around a few years down the line.

BronsonLee said:
Say what you will about Gabe's, but those are professionally authored/mastered/the whole nine.

Definitely, I appreciate the quality and it's great for collectors, but the year-long production wait and that Gabe's promotions haven't been too hot for the past year or two, imo, have left me with very few DGUSA/EVOLVE shows in my collection. It's good that they're working on improving production times, though, even if it means skipping forwards and missing a bunch of yet-to-be-released events.

Striker

Also: the only wrestling I've seen in months was this past week's Smackdown, maybe the first 45 minutes or so. There was barely any wrestling in that time, and what was there wasn't as good as Bret could've done during stroke physical therapy.
Bret won't say anything bad about the likes of Cena, Orton, Bryan, etc. because he has no reason to. When he has done his rips on Triple H, it was because he didn't/doesn't like him very well for being a liar. He's right about being great athletes today (except those don't consist of your Takers, Bam Bam, or Vaders), but that's all you can get.

bjork

I agree with Bret on many levels, especially in regards to tag team wrestling. When you watch The Young Bucks vs. ReDRagon, it blows away anything ever done by The Road Warriors, Rockers, Steiners, etc. in terms of ability and excitement.

The quote only lists WWE guys, I wonder if he even knows who those people are.

KissVibes

Banned
The fact that Brandon Stroud is trying to tell any indie promotion what they shouldn't do is hilarious. Dude is part of some Texas promotion as a fucking ring announcer (and I guess creative) and spends most of his time trying to get himself over and corpsing.

They're currently doing a version of Tim Donst vs Gavin Loudspeaker with Stroud and Lance Archer. Real original, Brandon.

I much prefer to have something to own, even if that is just a file on my HDD - companies need to up their streaming game and figure out what it's really worth to people. I won't pay DVD prices for an MP4, but I also likely won't pay MP4 prices for a VOD stream, especially when access to said stream is beholden to an internet connection, a website that might not be available when you want to watch, or might not even be around a few years down the line.

Definitely, I appreciate the quality and it's great for collectors, but the year-long production wait and that Gabe's promotions haven't been too hot for the past year or two, imo, have left me with very few DGUSA/EVOLVE shows in my collection. It's good that they're working on improving production times, though, even if it means skipping forwards and missing a bunch of yet-to-be-released events.

You're likely going to see indies go the WWE Network route of paying a monthly fee for their entire back catalogue. The Network really forced their hands.

I have no comment on the production stuff from DGUSA/EVOLVE since I don't know what's going on with that, but yes it's taking too long. I hope the reboot helps them.

That wasn't an All Stars diss. I was just picturing the dude that had sit around in a cubicle plastered with Michael Hayes pictures, watching countless Freebirds matches to make sure he has every little Hayesian detail correct.

That's no way to live friend.

You're likely going to see indies go the WWE Network route of paying a monthly fee for their entire back catalogue. The Network really forced their hands.

I wouldn't be averse to that, honestly, but quality of the service would have to be a real priority for a monthly fee - also, you'd need it available in as many places as possible, not just restricted to web browsers, and I don't know if the costs behind an app for phones/tablets/consoles would be too prohibitive for most indies. Perhaps ROH could have a crack at it.

I wouldn't be averse to that, honestly, but quality of the service would have to be a real priority for a monthly fee - also, you'd need it available in as many places as possible, not just restricted to web browsers, and I don't know if the costs behind an app for phones/tablets/consoles would be too prohibitive for most indies. Perhaps ROH could have a crack at it.

Considering a production company was daft enough to say that all iPPVs worked on the XBox 360 version of IE when that came out (it only works on on-demand stuff that supports HTML5 on a rollback, and not live ones), don't expect an app like that anytime soon. It's very expensive. Your best bet is Roku stuff like WWN is trying.

Quick, guess which production company said that

Snaku

Banned
Wrasslegaf recommended Alpha Protocol and I dug it. As a long time wrassle game fan should I give all stars a chance, Hayes DLC and all?

PS3/360 versions, a resounding yes. It also got a pretty good port to 3DS which included all of the DLC, but it's no substitute for the console version.

tm24

Once you get past Ian's random-ass booking and the terrible production, IWA-MS isn't really half as bad as everyone makes out. They've always done a good job of picking out talent before the bigger indies.

We're No Joke is legit a top ten all time indy show

The fact that Brandon Stroud is trying to tell any indie promotion what they shouldn't do is hilarious. Dude is part of some Texas promotion as a fucking ring announcer (and I guess creative) and spends most of his time trying to get himself over and corpsing.

They're currently doing a version of Tim Donst vs Gavin Loudspeaker with Stroud and Lance Archer. Real original, Brandon.

I watched that Lance Archer promo, and guys, I think he's shooting. Someone should call the cops, he could seriously hurt Brandon

PS3/360 versions, a resounding yes. It also got a pretty good port to 3DS which included all of the DLC, but it's no substitute for the console version.
Might go in for the PS3 version. Is the online decent? it really seems like one of those games that is really fun when playing with others.

Top Bottom