• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

There have been several reports of TNA wrestlers on food stamps.

I've only heard of one on food stamps and of a couple others having second jobs. In all cases they didn't have much of a career before or after TNA, suggesting TNA is willing to exploit unknowns. In contrast to that, The Bucks, who were known on the indies before joining said pay in TNA was good but you needed to be consistently booked. Top talent seem to get guaranteed amounts of money.

Regarding Styles, if he's made enough money to stand on his principles he should. I'd quit my job if they wanted me to take significantly less money and I wouldn't think negatively of anyone else who'd do the same.

I remember the reports previously that all the TNA women were only on per-show deals making $300 per show, yet somehow Christy Hemme swung a deal where she got $175,000 per year over 3 years. Not even Mickie James got that much ($125,000 per year over 3 years).

Anth0ny

I choose to believe Punk sacrificed himself for Bryan. It's way more fun that way.

If Punk didn't leave, Bryan was going to have a program with fucking Sheamus. Instead, we got an all time great Wrestlemania moment.

Aiii

So not worth it
Getting more fit every day guys! 18 pounds down and counting!

For the first time in 15 years I have managed to get below 100kg's. Yay!

alstein

Getting more fit every day guys! 18 pounds down and counting!

For the first time in 15 years I have managed to get below 100kg's. Yay!

You're now eligible for the Cruiserweight belt.

Has there ever been an angle where someone became too fat to be a cruiser? I vaguely remember WCW doing this with Disco once, but anywhere else?

I should lose weight, but working all these long nights makes me want to eat one of Vylash's waifus every night.

Aiii

So not worth it
Thanks guys!

Congratulations Aiii.

In your absence, Sting debuted on Raw.

But then he didn't :( Not expecting him to until his HoF announcement though.

Good job, pal. DDP Yoga?

Nope, balanced diet and this thing:
irzr.jpg

Ok so I just now Finally saw this Bullet Gun faction...they are a wannabe NWO, doing the Kliq hang sign and everything!.

Gallows & the mini Hardy Boyz? Really? This is the big japan faction?, this whats hot over there?

Has Hall/Nash spoke on these guys yet?

This is ridiculous, mocking smart marks ooh so edgy smh

Oh yeah, Hall and Nash are super pissed, lmao. They probably couldn't care less.

The whole point of the angle, the whole point of them being an nWo-like stable, is because it's something that in Japan is very connected to the idea of American wrestling - which also includes run-ins, ref distractions and lots of cheating. If there's one thing Japanese wrestling has moved away from since the 80's, it's indecisive finishes, so, unsurprisingly, Bullet Club get a fair bit of heat for their actions. Also, they're not trying to be edgy; they're trying to be OBNOXIOUS and, guess what? Your reaction and the reaction of others who say they can't stand the Bullet Club's antics only shows that it's working. Incidentally, it's kinda come full circle, considering that Bischoff got the idea for the nWo from watching a New Japan show during the UWFi invasion.

I miss Punk. Even when his creative and effort were not very good, he was still better than 95% of the roster. Losing a guy like Punk who can both go in the ring and deliver a great promo leaves a huge hole when you have to fill five hours of TV every week.

With that said, I'm always happy when a guy can leave that business on his own terms. Walking away having met his wife and with a bunch of money in the bank makes Punk a huge winner.

Oh sheeeeet!!! X PAC at Championship Wrestling from Hollywood
E: damn.he got eliminated by Willie Mack and also hurting his knee falling to the floor. LOL Matt Stryker getting major push!!

Sid

I get that Punk's not happy with his 'situation' in WWE but he should talk to Vince about it or he may regret it like Ultimate Warrior. Also IMO Sting should have realised that Vince wouldn't have treated him they way he treated the other WCW guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
Regret what? Contrary to Warrior he has plenty of cash. He's happy, he has other things going on in his life, just got married. And I'm sure he has plenty of side-gigs he can go to now. And really, aside from the WM Main Event, he's accomplished literally everything a guy can accomplish in the company right now.

There really isn't much to regret there. I wish I could retire at 35.

Hasney

Not only that, but everything seems like it was on good terms. If he ever gets the itch again, I'm sure he'd be welcomed back.

Jamie OD

You're now eligible for the Cruiserweight belt.

Has there ever been an angle where someone became too fat to be a cruiser? I vaguely remember WCW doing this with Disco once, but anywhere else?

I should lose weight, but working all these long nights makes me want to eat one of Vylash's waifus every night.

They had an angle years ago where Matt Hardy (V1 Mattitude era) lost weight to qualify for the WWE Cruiserweight Title. Also TNA did stuff with Team 3D feuding with the X Division that involved them trying to fit in the weight limit. But a cruiserweight becoming too heavy to hold the title? Nothing that I can think of.

They had an angle years ago where Matt Hardy (V1 Mattitude era) lost weight to qualify for the WWE Cruiserweight Title. Also TNA did stuff with Team 3D feuding with the X Division that involved them trying to fit in the weight limit. But a cruiserweight becoming too heavy to hold the title? Nothing that I can think of.

The was also the famous Christian chicken suit incident, where he was trying to make weight for a Light Heavyweight title match. This is the only record I can find of it, it seems to have been erased from Youtube!

Hasney

It would be an awesome angle if someone won the cruiserweight belt, celebrated every win with cake and ended up not being able to put the belt around him and is trying to avoid a weigh in.

Phatmac

Punk's still young so I think he'll come back in 2-5 years. It feels like he just needs a break from it all and may come back to elevate someone or just go for another run. I still think he cares about wrestling on some level.

Jamie OD

Regret what? Contrary to Warrior he has plenty of cash. He's happy, he has other things going on in his life, just got married. And I'm sure he has plenty of side-gigs he can go to now. And really, aside from the WM Main Event, he's accomplished literally everything a guy can accomplish in the company right now.

There really isn't much to regret there. I wish I could retire at 35.

I think sooner or later we will see Punk@WWE again, rather later. But right now its the best for everyone with that Split. Think about a royal rumble with Punk surprisingly entering, winning and getting the title shot the same night and winning it :-D (dreams...)

Aiii

So not worth it
I never said Punk was never coming back for a Jericho run or whatever. But when he does, it's definitely not gonna be because of regrets.

korly

Fave Five Wrestling Games:

1. VPW 2

2. Giant Gram 2000

3. Firepro D

4. Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain

5. WWF Raw 2 (for the wild-ass 4 player season mode)

HONORABLE MENTION:

Tohkon Road Brave Spirits 2 (because you got recruited into nWo Japan in the story mode)

Oh yeah, Hall and Nash are super pissed, lmao. They probably couldn't care less.

The whole point of the angle, the whole point of them being an nWo-like stable, is because it's something that in Japan is very connected to the idea of American wrestling - which also includes run-ins, ref distractions and lots of cheating. If there's one thing Japanese wrestling has moved away from since the 80's, it's indecisive finishes, so, unsurprisingly, Bullet Club get a fair bit of heat for their actions. Also, they're not trying to be edgy; they're trying to be OBNOXIOUS and, guess what? Your reaction and the reaction of others who say they can't stand the Bullet Club's antics only shows that it's working. Incidentally, it's kinda come full circle, considering that Bischoff got the idea for the nWo from watching a New Japan show during the UWFi invasion.

Probably works for the Japanese or whatever but they don't have any heel heat with me, I just don't like anything they do so I don't watch them unless Shibata or Ishii is involved. It has no effect since I don't exactly go to all the shows and buy merch but I don't think people hating on them that way is their goal. When they were interfering in matches I was just thinking what a waste of time it was watching this stuff, I wasn't so angry that I wanted them to get a worked punch. Like I just want them to go away, I don't want a face to give them a kayfabe beating. Again this does nothing to NJPW since I'm so cheap, and I think it's only a minority of Japanese fans who feel the same, but I'll make a post on a forum about it.

Sid

I never said Punk was never coming back for a Jericho run or whatever. But when he does, it's definitely not gonna be because of regrets.
I'm talking from his point of view,in his documentary he said he wanted to make pro wrestling a better place and that won't happen by sitting on his couch in Chicago,his words.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm talking from his point of view,in his documentary he said he wanted to make pro wrestling a better place and that won't happen by sitting on his couch in Chicago,his words.

On the other hand, if you sit down, shut up and take a quarter of your old paycheck due to the Network launching and say "Yes sir" to not getting the WrestleMania Main Event that (I'm guessing) you were promised when you signed that contract three years ago, you're not changing shit either.

There have been several reports of TNA wrestlers on food stamps.

Fave five wrestling games

1. WCW/NWO Revenge
2. Wrestlefest
3. Pro Wrestling

Uhh...that's about it as far as my experience goes. I remember some of No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 or whatever. Warzone for PSX was okay just because it was one of the only games available, and it had good visuals for the time.

Fire Pro, dude.

Verendus

Banned
After watching the CM Punk BITW doc I really will miss the guy. He had it all honestly. It's a shame that the wwe didn't really know what to do with for a long time. He was a future wwe HOF guy that could've been a huge star but the wwe messed it up like they usually do. The guy still got a lot of great moments but he isn't a true legend of wrestling. His career ended up being a little disappointing but he gave it his all. Gonna miss him.
I don't understand how WWE didn't treat him well.

I caught up on 2010-2014 recently so got to see his run consistently, and CM Punk was treated well for most of that time. I think the only occasion that made me question what happened was that brief fued with Triple H and Kevin Nash. That didn't make sense. Other than that though, he was given it all. How's a dude going to complain when he's booked to beat Cena several times, gets a program with The Rock of all people, a program with Brock Lesnar when he's only on limited appearances, gets a 434 day title reign, and a program with Undertaker at Wrestlemania after he's coming off only having matches with DX for 4 years?

He didn't become a huge star because this era is shit and there is only so far anyone goes, which in his case was still far below Joan Cena.

Ithil

They completely botched him in 2011. He could easily have been built into the top guy in the company and a real draw for old and new viewers based on that storyline, but they refused to change the program from Cena. Had they not decided Rock/Cena for WM28 a year in advance, or just had that match at WM 27 like they should have, they ought to have built Punk up until WM 28 and had him solidified as the top guy.

He isn't as "suited" as Cena is to the WWE's idea of what a top guy is, but fuck it, Cena isn't doing shit with that role and hasn't for years.

Punk vs Cena should have been the main WM feud of that year, but Dwayne came back and ruined it for once in a lifetime for a second time again.

I remember Punk and Cena basically had the WM main event that should have been on Raw instead. And it was awesome.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't understand how WWE didn't treat him well.

I caught up on 2010-2014 recently so got to see his run consistently, and CM Punk was treated well for most of that time. I think the only occasion that made me question what happened was that brief fued with Triple H and Kevin Nash. That didn't make sense. Other than that though, he was given it all. How's a dude going to complain when he's booked to beat Cena several times, gets a program with The Rock of all people, a program with Brock Lesnar when he's only on limited appearances, gets a 434 day title reign, and a program with Undertaker at Wrestlemania after he's coming off only having matches with DX for 4 years?

He didn't become a huge star because this era is shit and there is only so far anyone goes, which in his case was still far below Joan Cena.

You just answered your own question. He wanted to be the top guy, not the second to top guy.

Verendus

Banned
I don't believe that for a second. There is a huge portion of older viewers who simply don't watch WWE anymore, and that's just because WWE is more of a niche thing now. No way in hell CM Punk is bringing any substantial audience back, nor is any other superstar.

You just answered your own question. He wanted to be the top guy, not the second to top guy.
Well, he wasn't good enough. That's no reason for him to cry about it. He still got better booking than everyone barring Cena.

Ithil

I can give an example of an old viewer that Punk's 2011 storyline brought back to WWE after a many year absence, which would uh, me. I was definitely not alone.

Verendus

Banned
That's like saying Batista's storyline brought me back to watching WWE back in 2005 and several others that I know of. It means very little. The WWE product has an intended audience and their viewership has apparently remained pretty consistent for a decade now. No one is bringing back the 5 million other viewers who just don't watch anymore.

Kevin Nash irony aside, Punk made wrestling cool again in 2011.

And as usual WWE dropped the ball. A phrase that has become so ridiculously common.

"Not sure how or why but we've got the hottest thing going right now, people are actually talking about the WWE and saying how exciting that was.... so Paul you go out and squash it to set up the Kevin wants a paycheck 'bloodfeud' no one cares about and hmm, John you and Alberto bring it on home.... thats what they want to see. Damn I'm brilliant."

Ithil

That's like saying Batista's storyline brought me back to watching WWE back in 2005 and several others that I know of. It means very little. The WWE product has an intended audience and their viewership has apparently remained pretty consistent for a decade now. No one is bringing back the 5 million other viewers who just don't watch anymore.

It doesn't, because there is actual data showing a huge spike in interest around the time of the pipebomb. WWE rushed through the story and changed the focus to HHH and Cena instead of making Punk the star and building it up for months.#
I never said they would "bring back the 5 million", but there was a wave of interest in Punk's storyline, and you don't just go "well that's that", you use said interest to build something. But they won't deviate from "the plan", just like they won't deviate from pushing Reigns as the top guy next year after the crowd is already sick of him and cheering for someone else more.

It doesn't, because there is actual data showing a huge spike in interest around the time of the pipebomb. WWE rushed through the story and changed the focus to HHH and Cena instead of making Punk the star and building it up for months.

Pretty much. Everyone was talking about it at the time, especially guys I know who'd stopped watching after the Attitude Era. And in typical WWE fashion, they fumbled it completely.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, he wasn't good enough. That's no reason for him to cry about it. He still got better booking than everyone barring Cena.

But he was good enough. Had they pushed him properly throughout 2011 and build up for a Cena vs. Punk main event for Mania in 2012 he would have been just as big as John Cena, but with a broader appeal as he had supporters both young and old, instead of just young. Hell, they rushed the title unification and return of Punk. If they actually held off a few more weeks and not had a title unification until Mania, just have both guys claim they were champion that would have been a HUGE draw. As much as Rock was, if not more.

Punk might not be as muscled as John Cena, but there's no denying he was a better wrestler. He was definitely a much better talker.

Verendus

Banned
It doesn't, because there is actual data showing a huge spike in interest around the time of the pipebomb. WWE rushed through the story and changed the focus to HHH and Cena instead of making Punk the star and building it up for months.#
I never said they would "bring back the 5 million", but there was a wave of interest in Punk's storyline, and you don't just go "well that's that", you use said interest to build something. But they won't deviate from "the plan", just like they won't deviate from pushing Reigns as the top guy next year after the crowd is already sick of him and cheering for someone else more.
Did viewership increase substantially? Did their live attendance increase? A huge spike can mean anything these days, but some buzz on the internet or twitter doesn't mean a great deal. The Rock's had a noticeable impact, so I can see why they wouldn't deviate. He got their Wrestlemania to over one million buys just by being involved when they were trending downwards. That's legitimate power there.

From a business standpoint, I can see why WWE wouldn't deviate from Cena too. They have John Cena, who has been built up since 2005 and on top of the WWE for 5 years running at the time. Very recently, they lost Batista, Shawn Michaels, and both Undertaker and Triple H effectively became part-timers. That's four of their top five stars between 2005-2010 gone, and their biggest draws on the roster. Then Edge also retires in 2011.

They're left with Cena and Randy Orton. The only one out of the two who has any consistency is Cena. They need some form of stability and Cena is it at that point.

Punk and Cena should have been the Stone Cold and Rock of that era.

Huuuge rivalry that produces awesome matches dripping in memorable moments from the past already (MITB etc) and feels like a big deal. Its always burning in the background, even when they're off in other feuds but then its the oooh shit here we go stare-down moment when they get back together in a faceoff.

Its like now how they try to play Cena and Orton as FOREVER RIVALS OMG MAGGLE THE BATTLES THESE GUYS HAVE HAD OVER THE YEARS but no one cares for their forced shit. Cena and Punk had what felt like a real rivalry because it had the attraction of this isn't what shithead Vince wants us to want but gawd damn its good.

Aiii

So not worth it
Did viewership increase substantially?

Ratings increased and Money In The Bank buyrate increased 20%. Pretty substantial I would say.

Anything after that is skewed because they put the belt on Del Rio and Kevin Nash happened instead of continuing a hot program.

Top Bottom