• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

WWE.com's top 10 matches of the year so far:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/top-10-matches-of-2014-so-far/

1. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family (Elimination Chamber version)
2. Natalya vs. Charlotte
3. Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan
4. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro (NXT ArRIVAL)
5. The Shield vs. Evolution (Payback one)
6. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt
7. John Cena vs. Cesaro
8 .Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Cesaro vs. Sheamus vs. Christian — WWE World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber Match
9. Daniel Bryan V HHH
10. Bad News Barret V Dolph Ziggler

Some nice choices in there. Wasn't expecting NXT in there, let alone the number 2 match being a Divas one!
Thought DBry's matches with Bray and HHH were both better than the WM triple threat match, could be just me.

So I hooked up with this hipster girl who was wearing a Guns N' Roses shirt for strictly stylistic purposes, not because she like their music. She even had a hookah at her place. Anyways, in my post-coitial bliss infused with hash I came up with a great idea for a WWE tumblr that will change the landscape of WWE tumblrs as we know it.

The overrating of Shield/Wyatts needs to stop. It's getting to be a bit much. And the Payback match? Jesus. Why not just put Wyatt/Cena at Extreme Rules on there while you're at it.

Hasney

Thought DBry's matches with Bray and HHH were both better than the WM triple threat match, could be just me.

I agree with that, still loved HHH's suplexes. But it's WWE, they probably rated the moment higher as well as the crazy spot rather than the match as a whole. I would probably have also put Paige/Emma at 10.

I'd probably change the Shield/Evolution match to the Extreme Rules one and move it down a few spots too.

#1 would probably be Cesaro/Zayn for me and Bryan/Wyatt needs to be up there too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This guy at work is trying to control his diabetes with diet and no meds.

So yesterday he was eat ring whipped cream. Like by itself
Hey, it was carb free. .

He swears it's working for him though.

If it's carb free, let the man eat

jmdajr

So I hooked up with this hipster girl who was wearing a Guns N' Roses shirt for strictly stylistic purposes, not because she like their music. She even had a hookah at her place. Anyways, in my post-coitial bliss infused with hash I came up with a great idea for a WWE tumblr that will change the landscape of WWE tumblrs as we know it.

your idea is a secret?

DMczaf

Triple-H-Daniel-Bryan.gif

all the carbs, still on the post Vegas grind. Start up eating better and the gym next week but for now, gonna eat and be lazy for the 2nd week in a row.

I LOVE IT.

*big boot*

Isn't Dragon Gate this weekend?

Yep, Kobe World on Sunday;

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate

0. Shachihoko BOY vs. "Mr. High Tension" Kotoka vs. Ryotsu Shimizu
0. K-ness & Super Shisa vs. U-T & Yosuke♡Santa Maria
1. 15th Anniversary Special 6 Man Tag Team Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Gamma vs. Uhaa Nation, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa & Jushin Thunder Liger
2. Jimmy Kanda & Jimmy Kagetora vs. Mondai Ryu & Punch Tominaga
3. Open the Brave Gate Championship Match: Flamita (c) vs. Dragon Kid
4. Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong & Kzy (c) vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Susumu & Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
5. International Dream Tag Match: Masato Yoshino & Ricochet vs. CIMA & Matt Sydal
6. Open the Twin Gate Championship Match: Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi (c) vs. T-Hawk & Eita
7. Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: YAMATO (c) vs. BxB Hulk

Should be a real good show, the card is stacked.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Go BxB Hulk!! Triangle Gate match should be awesome too. Plus International Dream is amazing.

Trips vs Bryan was the best WWE match this year, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's hard to compare singles matches to tag matches - I'll always rate singles matches higher, even if I still really enjoy tag wrestling.

You motherfucker

it is done as a tribute to you but as I do it more and more, people start to realize how much better my boot is and yours will look more and more like shit

Yep, Kobe World on Sunday;

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate

0. Shachihoko BOY vs. "Mr. High Tension" Kotoka vs. Ryotsu Shimizu
0. K-ness & Super Shisa vs. U-T & Yosuke♡Santa Maria
1. 15th Anniversary Special 6 Man Tag Team Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Gamma vs. Uhaa Nation, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa & Jushin Thunder Liger
2. Jimmy Kanda & Jimmy Kagetora vs. Mondai Ryu & Punch Tominaga
3. Open the Brave Gate Championship Match: Flamita (c) vs. Dragon Kid
4. Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong & Kzy (c) vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Susumu & Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
5. International Dream Tag Match: Masato Yoshino & Ricochet vs. CIMA & Matt Sydal
6. Open the Twin Gate Championship Match: Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi (c) vs. T-Hawk & Eita
7. Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: YAMATO (c) vs. BxB Hulk

Should be a real good show, the card is stacked.

hyyyyyype

DMczaf

Crymetyme could have been one of the greats. They were ahead of their tyme. If they debuted during the Reality Era, shit would have been great.

Trips vs Bryan was the best WWE match this year, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's hard to compare singles matches to tag matches - I'll always rate singles matches higher, even if I still really enjoy tag wrestling.

Besides being an outstanding match, Trips vs Bryan (and the triple threat) was the culmination of an unintentionally great story. None of those other matches have that going for them. Zayn/Cesaro was a great rivalry though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, now I gotta re-watch Trips vs Bryan. Definitely one of the best matches of the year and one of WWE's best. Dat Charlotte vs Natalya tho...

joelseph

The opener of PWG's Sold Our Soul, Roderick Strong vs Brian Cage is a great match. Recommend tracking it down if you haven't seen it. The whole show is great.

Ithil

The work from the chickenwing into the tiger suplex was amazing. Easily HHH's best match in probably five or six years, maybe even longer. I think he may have felt he had something to prove, and it showed.

I like to think it was all a reaction to Punk bailing. Like "Leaving our planned angle? Well look at me, I'm in the opening match of WM, I'm wrestling a technical match and MOTN, I'm losing clean to an indie darling! Could have all been yours!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish American wrestling would go back to protecting some finishers. WWE and independent wrestling are both extremely guilty of it to try to make a 'big match' seem bigger than it is to get said cheap pop, but it's so overused now, and it makes everything feel so fake. Like Undertaker kicking out of the F-5 was so god damn stupid. This whole match is like a mercy killing, but you can kick out of his finisher? Japanese wrestling tends to do it a lot too, but I guess it's a different style of wrestling. I like both, but I feel like the 'old style' is going away completely to be more about big spots rather than big moments. More about 'look at the athleticism' than trying to make someone believe. I guess it's why I preferred 90s NJPW matches to AJPW matches. NJPW matches felt brutal without being as brutal(outside of certain blading jobs) where as AJPW matches felt brutal because they constantly dropped each other on their necks with big moves.

It's not longer a surprise when someone kicks out of your finisher because they ALWAYS do. It's like your 'Kick Out of Finisher' stat goes up to 110% during PPVs especially. You're telling me that every single wrestler has the Hulk Hogan ability now? Just poor, poor storytelling. Might as well eliminate finishers from wrestling in general if you're going to have them require two or three executions to get the pin.

To play off of what you said, I would like to see "secondary finishers" actually finish off people as opposed to just setting the opponent up for the main finisher.

Ithil

Every single match ending with a Brogue Kick, or RKO, or whatever, is tiresome, because every single near fall beforehand is useless.

Top Bottom