• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Sblargh

Banned
Or is it the wrestler's job to be aware where the camera is? Or am I talking shit here because everything was fine with that shot?

Sblargh

Banned
A little of both, but WWE camerawork is really hit or miss. When it's on point it's fine but they mess up a lot, especially on Raw.

Really? I never noticed before. I guess I only noticed now because I'm not familiar with this hold and I wantd to see what he was doing and could not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Or is it the wrestler's job to be aware where the camera is? Or am I talking shit here because everything was fine with that shot?

Jarrett said during a promo once, 'you guys remind me of some of the guys we got, don't know where the camera is' or something along those lines. So I assume it's the wrestler's responsibility.

dream

NXT is all rookie cameramen, they're training, too.

You know, I never knew this, and I think NXT could be really interesting if they went all the way with it and had rookie bookers and rookie "producers" too, just to see what kind of product people who aren't saddled with baggage and complacency could produce.

Ithil

You know, I never knew this, and I think NXT could be really interesting if they went all the way with it and had rookie bookers and rookie "producers" too, just to see what kind of product people who aren't saddled with baggage and complacency could produce.

All the folks in NXT are rookies. The wrestlers, writers, commentators, referees and cameramen, etc. The only veterans are the wrestling trainers and the booker (Dusty), and people like Regal.

Talking of the production, that promo they show that goes on about how many lights, and how many miles of cable and all that, reminded me that what I'd really like to see on the network is a show that focuses on the crew that make the show happen.

You could make either a reality show type of thing, or you could just make a day in the life of kind of thing, where you show what each type of person does on the day they put on a show. I'd watch the shit out of that.

Okada+9.gif

tumblr_n86033G8vt1qhjbxeo1_500.gif

XenoRaven

Jarrett said during a promo once, 'you guys remind me of some of the guys we got, don't know where the camera is' or something along those lines. So I assume it's the wrestler's responsibility.
Austin vs. Michaels from KotR 97 was on the Network recently and Austin ran the ropes on a side of the ring where a cameraman was standing. You get to see a first person view of what happens when a camera guy falls off the ring apron. I keep wondering if he a) didn't realize the guy was there or b) knew he was there and did it to add to the match and to his character.

Austin vs. Michaels from KotR 97 was on the Network recently and Austin ran the ropes on a side of the ring where a cameraman was standing. You get to see a first person view of what happens when a camera guy falls off the ring apron. I keep wondering if he a) didn't realize the guy was there or b) knew he was there and did it to add to the match and to his character.

There's a camera guy Austin always used to pick on. Anyone know if it was that same camera guy? Because if it was, yeah, he definitely did it on purpose.

Alucard

Banned
Well if you love ECW and attitude era WWE nostalgia the New York impact tapings are for you.

Yeah, I will be watching. I read some of the spoilers and thought they sounded fine. Spoilers never tell the whole story regardless. I'm interested in seeing the guys work in the six-sided ring again and to see the reactions of the New York crowd.

Well if you love ECW and attitude era WWE nostalgia the New York impact tapings are for you.

TNA pulled out all the tricks from their bag to keep the crowds on their side. I imagine that's why a good portion of their roster wasn't used or were used very sparingly in NY.

Let's trot out all these guys from ECW and pray that they keep the crowd at bay.

Wait, are we talking production shit?! GET OUTTA MAH WAY *shoves people over*

Also, the cameraman was on the wrong side of the final submission hold. :(
This is on the director for either not telling him where to go via headset, or the editor for not cutting to the right shot.

All the folks in NXT are rookies. The wrestlers, writers, commentators, referees and cameramen, etc. The only veterans are the wrestling trainers and the booker (Dusty), and people like Regal.
This is true. They're all Full Sail peeps, except for the Live Specials. Those are when they bring in the good people.
That being said, Full Sail is legit as fuck, and they've set up a great infrastructure for that sort of thing. Too bad it's an obscenely expensive school, and if you don't get a job from your job study stuff, you are toast.

Wrestlers should be aware of where the camera is at all times. It's a big problem on the indies for workers and referees, in terms of not knowing where the ring cam is. It's usually pretty obvious where hardcam is though, so most just play to that.

I've always assumed it was a complete accident, and led to the end of such a practice.
Shooting on the apron was/is a time tested way of doing it, from when wrestling first got on TV. The other is obviously shooting between the bottom and middle rope.
Shooting on the apron is a big no-no now, because you can get in the way of talent doing spots (though really, that's their own fucking fault for going to the side that you're on). It's also a very static shot (you can't move from corner to corner), so I'm not a fan either way.

For the Austin thing, cameramen on the apron was an NWA/WCW thing, and WWF had been doing it for a bit too. The cameraman was out of position, so it's more his fault than Austin's (you really shouldn't be in the middle there).
After that incident, them shooting on the apron pretty much stopped, though you do see it now and again from them (but it's always when they're on the steps, and they never go any further).

tldr:

CAMERA

somedevil

Yeah, I will be watching. I read some of the spoilers and thought they sounded fine. Spoilers never tell the whole story regardless. I'm interested in seeing the guys work in the six-sided ring again and to see the reactions of the New York crowd.

Basically from the taping these people were not over at the New York tapings:
Mr. Anderson, Gunner, Sam Shaw, the menagerie, Jessie and Robbie, Madison Rayne and Brittany

One match was crapped on even before it began.

Alucard

Banned
Basically from the taping these people were not over at the New York tapings:
Mr. Anderson, Gunner, Sam Shaw, the menagerie, Jessie and Robbie, Madison Rayne and Brittany

One match was crapped on even before it began.

Not surprised about most of these, but I wish people would give Gunner a chance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WELP.

Makes sense, even though they have the infrastructure, they may want to straight up charge more than their current business model allowed.

I wonder how ROH/NJPW will do? Find a new provider?

lol what are they even charging for anymore? Other than Twit.tv, ippvs were the only thing ustream had over twitch/justin/google

Top Bottom