• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Foggy

I think this is a good thing. The tournament needs more talent, and I think it's a got a very solid group now. Nixon not being in hurts, but they've got a great top of the field. Everything from the quarterfinals on should be good to great.

Plus afterwards if they are all signed, most of them would go to NXT or the potential women's Network show anyways. Doubt any of them are going into Vince's hands.

It's a shame all of the good ones are getting snatched up and presumably will stay in the umbrella. I'm sure half of them will trickle back out sooner or later, but I'll just have to see how it shakes out. Looking at the indies over the past year and comparing all the women that are going to be in the MYC, it's going to be barren on the indies through the end of the year.

I'm not too bummed about it, it's how it was always going to be.

Look, nerd.
8KWF2J1.png

Now put him in a tag team with Agent Francis York Morgan.

I think this is a good thing. The tournament needs more talent, and I think it's a got a very solid group now. Nixon not being in hurts, but they've got a great top of the field. Everything from the quarterfinals on should be good to great.

Plus afterwards if they are all signed, most of them would go to NXT or the potential women's Network show anyways. Doubt any of them are going into Vince's hands.

Two months later, Alexa Bliss bullies Nia Jax and Viper because they're both big girls.

Foggy

I am very curious how the creative braintrust would handle a women's specific tv program. It'd be a blessing if they could get rid of their catty boyfriend angles for good. Or they could just find new ways to shock and appall me.

Zach

Oh my god. WWE. Vince McMahon. Linda McMahon. Trump. The #FakeNews media. Follow the money and crack the code.

NXT vs. NYT: The Return of WarGames.

I am very curious how the creative braintrust would handle a women's specific tv program. It'd be a blessing if they could get rid of their catty boyfriend angles for good. Or they could just find new ways to shock and appall me.

Feud 1: Kairi gets bullied by Rachel Ellering because she can't speak English.
Feud 2: Toni Storm gets called "fat" by Andrea and Alpha Female.
Feud 3: Bayley and Lacey Estrella fight over who can be Bo Dallas's girlfriend. Lacey reminds the world that Bayley has never kissed a boy. Bayley calls Lacey a slut because all WWE faces are actually assholes.

And so on.

Two months later, Alexa Bliss bullies Nia Jax and Viper because they're both big girls.
Nia Jax origin story where she's back in elementary school, sits down in her chair and it breaks

The students all point and laugh singing "you're not like most girls! you're not like most girls! ha-ha-haha-ha, ha-ha-haha-ha!'

Close up on her crying eyes as we fade back to the present where shes mean now

I don't think it would be handled by the main roster crew. I think it would stay in the NXT umbrella and just be non-main roster women. It would kind of have to be taped at Full Sail unless they cancel 205 Live (which they won't do) or Main Event (which I guess they could do but I doubt it). And if it's taped at Full Sail, Vince and his crew have no involvement in it.

Feud 3: Bayley and Lacey Estrella fight over who can be Bo Dallas's girlfriend. Lacey reminds the world that Bayley has never kissed a boy. Bayley calls Lacey a slut because all WWE faces are actually assholes.

And so on.

They'll try to make Viper the next Nia, the differences being 1) Viper's better, 2) Viper will get her first loss quicker than Nia ever did, and 3) Nia will actually get a title run

I don't think it would be handled by the main roster crew. I think it would stay in the NXT umbrella and just be non-main roster women. It would kind of have to be taped at Full Sail unless they cancel 205 Live (which they won't do), or Main Event (which I guess they could do but I doubt it). And if it's taped at Full Sail, Vince and his crew have no involvement in it.

Or they wind down 205 Live, quietly shuffle the likes of Gulak, Nese, and Daivari to the future endeavor'd section, and keep Gallagher, Neville, and Tozawa around for meaningless preshow feuds and matches. Then, proceed with burying the women after a Stephanie promo about how she started the Women's Revolution.

205 Live is so fucking gone, I don't think they even air it on TV anywhere

Either that or they mix it in with the women's show and have a true C brand show after Smackdown

Or they wind down 205 Live, quietly shuffle the likes of Gulak, Nese, and Daivari to the future endeavor'd section, and keep Gallagher, Neville, and Tozawa around for meaningless preshow feuds and matches. Then, proceed with burying the women after a Stephanie promo about how she started the Women's Revolution.

Either that or they mix it in with the women's show and have a true C brand show after Smackdown

I highly doubt 205 Live is going anywhere. At worst they change the format, but the show itself is there to stay. Meltzer has said the strategy with all this talent is that they want as much live wrestling content for the Network as they can possibly get, whether it's producing their own (like 205 Live) or grabbing someone else's (like ICW and Progress).

And so on.
tumblr_nn0dndhftY1risusro1_500.gif

Foggy

I don't think it would be handled by the main roster crew. I think it would stay in the NXT umbrella and just be non-main roster women. It would kind of have to be taped at Full Sail unless they cancel 205 Live (which they won't do) or Main Event (which I guess they could do but I doubt it). And if it's taped at Full Sail, Vince and his crew have no involvement in it.

I'm definitely leaning toward believing that's the case, but I'm curious if they reshuffle NXT creative or if a new creative team is used. Regardless, it's not like NXT's creative has delivered much as far as I'm concerned. For my money, they've been uninspired for a long while.

To its benefit, the quality of matches will mostly be consistent with what the majority of them can do. The only women that will be dragged down considerably would be Kairi and Io. Toni can't do her piledrivers anymore but that's for the better.

I highly doubt 205 Live is going anywhere. At worst they change the format, but the show itself is there to stay. Meltzer has said the strategy with all this talent is that they want as much live wrestling content for the Network as they can possibly get, whether it's producing their own (like 205 Live) or grabbing someone else's (like ICW and Progress).

Best laid plans and all that. Speaking of ICW and Progress, that's been hinted at for over 6 months. What's the hold up?

The problem with that is that nobody actually watches 205 Live, it gets outdrawn by the live event replays at this point

Their talent strategy is basically this:

Scoop up anybody interested for a year or two
If they land, cool, off to the races
If not, cool, see you bye

The contracts are so cheap now that it makes perfect sense to do this

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
205 live doesn't even make their top 20 most watched programs, it gets beat by 20 year old WCW ppv's on the regular.

I'm definitely leaning toward believing that's the case, but I'm curious if they reshuffle NXT creative or if a new creative team is used. Regardless, it's not like NXT's creative has delivered much as far as I'm concerned. For my money, they've been uninspired for a long while.

To its benefit, the quality of matches will mostly be consistent with what the majority of them can do. The only women that will be dragged down considerably would be Kairi and Io. Toni can't do her piledrivers anymore but that's for the better.

Best laid plans and all that. Speaking of ICW and Progress, that's been hinted at for over 6 months. What's the hold up?

I've liked what NXT has done lately a lot. With the women less so, but most of them have been booked well. Cross especially. Riot has been alright. Asuka is still great. I think Royce and Kay actually are booked well for what they are. The only real spot of failure right now for me is Ember.

As for ICW and Progress, Dave says that the deals are completely done. They are just waiting on Vince to give the okay. But Vince knows that once he does it, it's hard to go back from that decision, so he's being more cautious than usual. It'll happen. It's just a matter of when.

The problem with that is that nobody actually watches 205 Live, it gets outdrawn by the live event replays at this point

I agree. But I don't think the reaction to that will be "cancel 205 Live and fire all the cruiserweights". I think they would sooner reshuffle the format of the show and/or just move it to tape at Full Sail and Vince washes his hands of it.

205 live doesn't even make their top 20 most watched programs, it gets beat by 20 year old WCW ppv's on the regular.

Lately it has been actually. I think it gets top 15 most weeks now.

I'm parachuting in to that "Fuck the police" thread, and now I'm parachuting out.

I have some more squash matches in Fire Pro World to play.

205 Live is the first thing that's gone if/when the TV deal occurs and changes must be made because it's much less than they expected, again

Imagine how much better 205 Live would be if it were handled similarly to the CWC.

Hopefully not. That's legit the only move she can do.
14lwGht.gif

Nia Jax origin story where she's back in elementary school, sits down in her chair and it breaks

The students all point and laugh singing "you're not like most girls! you're not like most girls! ha-ha-haha-ha, ha-ha-haha-ha!'

Close up on her crying eyes as we fade back to the present where shes mean now

I laughed... I know Vince would love this.

Austin TX, the best fucking thing about TX, still gets the short end of the stick when it comes to WWE shows here in town (as in they don't happen).

Corpus Christi though? No problem.

I will give them credit in that each match is somewhat justified in its existence

First was Jinder's title sot
Second was Orton's Rematch
Third is because Jinder made it personal and in exchange for Shane giving Orton the shot Jinder got to pick the stip.

Much better than Lana's trilogy

I will give them credit in that each match is somewhat justified in its existence

First was Jinder's title sot
Second was Orton's Rematch
Third is because Jinder made it personal and in exchange for Shane giving Orton the shot Jinder got to pick the stip.

Much better than Lana's trilogy
Lana got three title shots? >_>

Foggy

Hell they could've just done a silly thing with Sami being the plucky underdog and get screwed into being in a Punjabi match. Or it could've been MOJO. Or are they saving Mojo and his super friend for the real money ppv
network special
down the line?

Point being, you gotta at least try to be creative. 3 straight ppvs of Jinder/Orton isn't defensible.

Hell they could've just done a silly thing with Sami being the plucky underdog and get screwed into being in a Punjabi match. Or it could've been MOJO. Or are they saving Mojo and his super friend for the real money ppv
network special
down the line?

Point being, you gotta at least try to be creative. 3 straight ppvs of Jinder/Orton isn't defensible.
L
Nothing matters in the network era they already got your money. No point in trying to put a good show on

Foggy

L
Nothing matters in the network era they already got your money. No point in trying to put a good show on

I wouldn't be shocked if there were some weird behind-the-scenes metrics that showed that match-interrupting commercials for the network sold more subs than the network specials themselves.

network special
down the line?

Mojo is lamer than Orton and that's saying something.

And people who just get very angry that Sami was being fed to Jinder.

...and yet those contracts are still better for talent than independent paydays aside from the dozen or so guys that have Japanese deals or meme status that they get signed anyway.

Oh, lol at that Big Show/Cass confrontation, great way to sell Cass's height by putting him face to face with someone else who is billed as being seven feet tall but clearly has at least a couple inches on him. It could've been worse if Show was a legit seven feet tall. Speaking of Cass, that music is terrible and for the love of Benji the dude needs to change up his look, put on some pants at least, Test was the best when he wore the pants. Makes those damn leg slaps sound at least a little better too.

Uhh, was that Paige/Del Rio situation, specifically with the audio released discussed because yeah... That relationship is about as what it was expected. She really needs to get away from him.

^that audio is awful. I hope she's able to get the help she needs.

Austin TX, the best fucking thing about TX, still gets the short end of the stick when it comes to WWE shows here in town (as in they don't happen).

Corpus Christi though? No problem.
They should probably stop having Raw and Smackdown in Houston. Nobody wants to go fucking downtown that early during the week. They had to bribe people with $1 beers to get them to show up early for an NBA playoff game because there's always so many empty seats during the first quarter.

Oh, lol at that Big Show/Cass confrontation, great way to sell Cass's height by putting him face to face with someone else who is billed as being seven feet tall but clearly has at least a couple inches on him. It could've been worse if Show was a legit seven feet tall. Speaking of Cass, that music is terrible and for the love of Benji the dude needs to change up his look, put on some pants at least, Test was the best when he wore the pants. Makes those damn leg slaps sound at least a little better too.

The point was to point out he's not the only giant.

Then he'll beat Show and become the undisputed Raw giant. Putting him over someone his own size makes sense for credibility.

Top Bottom